Start by marking “Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal: Why You Should Ditch Your Morning Meal For Health and Wellbeing” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  203 ratings  ·  26 reviews

Breakfast may be the most important meal of the day, but only if we skip it.

Since Victorian times, we have been told to breakfast like kings and dine like paupers. In the wake of his own type 2 diabetes diagnosis, Professor Terence Kealey was given the same advice. He soon noticed that his glucose levels were unusually high after eating first thing in the morning. But

Published December 29th 2016 by Fourth Estate

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Breakfast is a Dangerous Meal: Why You Should Ditch Your Morning Meal For Health and Wellbeing
Nigeyb
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
We all like to have our biases confirmed, right? There should be a name for it. Something like, confirmation bias.

Here’s one of mine. I have long been convinced that the oft repeated mantra that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, is pure invention. Indeed, my belief is that it’s the consequence of a powerful group of cereal manufacturers, keen to promote such a message, who use tame scientists to undertake “research” which supports this perceived wisdom.

A few years back I stopped
Andrew
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
For many years I didn't eat breakfast and was told by those closest to me that I was putting my health at risk. It seems not. This book contains much about food, diet and the impact it has on developing diabetes as well as other conditions. "You are what you eat" is a well known saying, but it seems that "You are when you eat" is an important point that is raised in this book.

Well worth reading by anyone who is concerned about the impact that diet has on health and well being.
Dorthe
I confess to choosing this book to confirm my long-held opinion, as I am no fan of breakfast: when at all possible (which is most of the time), I do not eat for at least 3 hours after waking. It's always nice to have support for your views. Also good to hear some positive words on vegan diet, for a change.

That said, this book is much about Diabetes 2: how to manage, if you have it (hint: skip breakfast), and how to avoid (hint: skip breakfast). Also, the author eschews all carbohydrates, and go
Alicia R
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Breakfast is not a dangerous meal. Having a high glucose reading before breakfast (or any meal for that matter) IS very dangerous. Having sugary breakfast cereal after a high glucose reading is just plain stupid!
The book contains some useful information but consistently misinterprets research results and is too biased against breakfast.
Sally
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science
A while ago, I watched a fascinating documentary in which a doctor and a group of volunteers- all overweight, all suffering from the lifelong illness of diabetes - locked themselves in a clinic and the subjects were put on a nutritional but extremely lo-cal diet. Of course they all lost weight...but on leaving, all of them had fixed the diabetes. A return to unrestricted eating would, of course, mean it returned. But after the initial 'cold turkey', a careful normal dfiet should hold it at bay.
I
Carin
This is the science behind what breakfast actually does to & for us, breaking through the myths, asking important questions & being polemic ( I love that word from the Times review!). Much more research is needed but on the evidence presented & my own observations & so far, 2 week trial I agree that skipping breakfast is doing me no obvious harm, I don’t miss it, I feel in control of my eating / snacking. I’d love for some if the benefits ( especially weight/ bodymass normalisation at around 60k ...more
sprinkle.your.sparkle
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book has been thought-provoking, it inspired me to read more on the subject of what and how I eat. I'm more aware of how my food choices affect my energy levels, it's so straightforward in my case. I'm a huge breakfast fan or shall I say I've built the habit of having breakfast over the last two years. It is true that I'm physically active in the mornings (aquabiking, hot yoga) so by the time I have "breakfast", 4-5 hours after my wake-up time, we can count that as early lunch. I'm always s ...more
Claudiu
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Some Interesting studies are shown, but the book is written from a diabetics' point of view. That is - breakfasts are more dangerous for diabetics than for someone else.
Furthermore, I think it's dangerous to give advice in this general form - "why you should ditch your morning meal", which might not be applicable for everyone. I personally know a colleague who had a nasty ulcer because he didn't eat breakfast.
Alasdair Easton
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting, provocative and informing. Taken at face value this is a wonderful read. It explains some of the confused thinking that has driven our eating habits over the past few decades and has allowed me to rethink my breakfast eating habits. It all seems to make sense but does not pretend to give all the answers; it puts past advice in context, gives new findings and sets the scene for further research and dietary advice.
Annabel Logan
Feb 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
The level of readability was, I think, that of first year Science of Medicine undergraduate. Maybe too complex for the lay person, and not deep enough for the scientist or health professional.
Some more diagrams would have been useful.
I liked the breakdown of the work into public health and biochemical areas.
Overall well worth reading.
Fiona Dobrzynski
I found this book to be extremely interesting and absorbing. Usually, I’m slow to read non-fiction, so I can absorb the information carefully. However, this was so fascinating, I read and read in long sittings. I’m married to a Type 1 Diabetic and Type 2 runs rampant in my family. I also do 5:2 fasting. Very applicable to me.
Carin
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me a life changing book - loved the science & have recommended to many. It questions established myths & ‘truths’ & so far most days now I’m happy to let the calories wait until after 12 noon. I feel healthier & have less hunger pangs. Will have to wait for long term impacts & hopefully benefits .... ...more
graham gilbertson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If type 2 this is a must read.

My doctor has told me to eat carbohydrates. I have always found this strange and have preferred not to. This explains why. Read it. Do your self a favour.
Rob Sedgwick
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Great start

This book is not really justified as a full length work and you really only need to read the first ten pages. I read the rest but it's just more of the same. Having said that its good and interesting but really it's just a long magazine article padded out.
Candace Donato
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting concept. Piggy backs on the fasting trend and how timing your eating is very effective for your overall health. Book is jammed packed with studies and research and would be of great assistance to anyone battling diabetes.
MR. S. BEATTIE
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
One of these books you need to read twice

This is my review of first reading The conclusion makes sense but a lot of technical jargon that needs digestion. What I did like is the authors humour that runs throughout the book. It is a book well worth reading.
Jacqui Allen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved the info on how breakfast has been perceived through history. This book was well researched & really showed the reader the worth of questioning health research & “journalism”.

Now I finally feel vindicated for my breakfast apathy!
brian allen
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Missing breakfast

Having high sugars in morning,so worth following advise.Especially when life at risk. Worth a try,nothing to lose only high blood readings .brian allen
Zal
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
For everyone who is starting on Intermittent Fasting, this book is for you
April
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting book which gives a different view Of how and when we eat. As a shift worker trying to accept a lot of the the advice would be nearly impossible though.
Sharon
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Presented with logical arguments backed by current research
Craig Cusack
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hugely important book

All adults who have ever dieted should read. In the 6 months of following its advice it has changed my life.
Alison  Langridge
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Excellent, well-written, well-researched and inspirational. What more can you want?!
Eileen Hall
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
The author goes into great detail with the scientific evidence for his reasons for not eating first thing in the morning, some are a bit above me, but interesting none the less.
My husband is type 2 so will be interested in the theories.
I don't think it will persuade me to give up my porridge or toast though!
I was given a digital copy of this book by the publisher Harper Collins/Fourth Estate via Netgalley in return for an honest unbiased review.
Aurelija

• Mr Stink
  • The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat
  • The World’s Worst Children 2
  • 1,342 QI Facts To Leave You Flabbergasted
  • Yes! No (Maybe...) (Tom Gates #8)
  • Nikon D5600 For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech))
  • Fing
  • Metabolic Autophagy: Practice Intermittent Fasting and Resistance Training to Build Muscle and Promote Longevity (Metabolic Autophagy Diet Book 1)
  • Autophagy: How to Combine Intermittent Fasting and Nobel-Prize Winning Science for Rapid Weight Loss, Reducing Inflammation, and Promoting Long-Term Health
  • The 2 Meal Day