Start by marking “The Search for a Nonviolent Future: A Promise of Peace for Ourselves, Our Families, and Our World” as Want to Read:

Is There No Other Way? is the mature work of one of the world's most widely respected peace scholars and activists. Beginning with the achievements of Mahatma Gandhi, and following the legacy of nonviolence through the struggles against Nazism in Europe, racism in America, oppression in China and Latin America, and ethnic conflicts in Africa and Bosnia, Nagler unveils a ...more
Published August 31st 2004 by New World Library

To ask other readers questions about The Search for a Nonviolent Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search for a Nonviolent Future

Start your review of The Search for a Nonviolent Future: A Promise of Peace for Ourselves, Our Families, and Our World
Kevin
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-books
Excellent book. Strongly recommended for everyone.
Tom Emanuel
Michael Nagler provides a thoughtful, conversational introduction to nonviolence, incorporating the better-known (although still often misunderstood) concept of nonviolent resistance into a holistic, ethical worldview grounded in the Hindu virtue of ahimsa. The book is filled with stirring examples of nonviolence in action, ranging from the public and well-known (Gandhi's Indian freedom struggle, the People Power Revolution in the Philippines) to the personal and all-but-unheard-of (largely ...more
Ahmad Ragab
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
عندما كنت أفكر في اللاعنف كنت أفكر فيه كوسيلة إنسانية أكثر حكمة من العنف لمواجهة نظام سياسي مستبد كان هذا حتي قرأت هذا الكتاب الذي يمثل لي قفزة فكرية نحو حياة أكثر إنسجاماً مع ذاتي بمعني آخر تجربة تغيير حياتية حقيقية.

في هذا الكتاب يعرض الكاتب مايكل ناغلر أزمة الإنسان المعاصر المنفعل بعقله المتدني في تعاطيه مع الأمور التي توجهه من ماديات وتشئ لإنسانيته وتبرير العنف.

الكتاب يفتح آفاق للتعرف الحقيقي لمفهوم اللاعنف الذي هو لفظياً محدود وغير وافٍ للجوهر معناه الحقيقي ليجعلنا نفكر في اللاعنف علي إنه
Robert Fischer
This book gets into nonviolence as a principle of organizing life. The term "nonviolence" here is somewhat misleading, because the book describes a kind of overall orientation/habituation towards peace much more than any particular stance regarding inflicting violence on others. It's a superb book because it speaks to the science (of all stripes), the politics, and the lifestyle: it's really a broad vision of the future, but with very particular suggestions on how to begin to shape yourself ...more
Catherine Griwkowsky
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Everyone on the Earth should read this book.
Michael Nagler gives an in-depth look at the history, principles, methods and future of nonviolence.
The book looks at several examples where nonviolence has worked in the past from Gandhi's satyagraha and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to every day smaller-scale uses of soul force.
Nagler outlines why nonviolence is more effective. In fact, it's the only way forward!
There are high-level explanations on the theory of nonviolence as well as practical ways to
Terri
Aug 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A terrific book! If you're new to nonviolence or an expert, this book will open even new paths of thought on the subject and show practical ways to begin implementing it in our daily lives. This is complemented by Professor Nagler's webcast courses from UC Berkley, available at http://www.mettacenter.org/?page_id=229
David Burton
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this three times now, and learn something more every time, something about myself, some way to feel better about myself and this life, what we do and why, how we can change and help. And hope. It doesn't have all the answers, although he does attempt a few, but it holds a lot of questions and reasons to consider what we do and why, and where we might want to go from here.
Chenoa Siegenthaler
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I would give this book ten stars if I could. It presents everything I could ask for from a book on this subject - theory, history, inspiring anecdotes, and, most rare, practical ways that you and I can apply these things in our own lives.
Mike Radice
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I want to meet this person. This is the clearest voice I've read/heard/encountered about how violence is developed, sustained, and how it can be turned into nonviolence using peaceful means. The book was brilliant.
Kathleen
Nov 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hippie-books
Amazing book about the power of nonviolence.
Michael
I read the previous version of this book Is There No Other Way?: The Search for a Nonviolent Future and thought that the second edition would be different. It's not. Great book, don't get me wrong, but I already read it.
Jenny
Feb 13, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jenny by: Kristen!
Shelves: nonfiction-read
This book is the author's attempt to prove that nonviolence is effective and necessary. Unfortunately, I found it really hard to read; it was hard to stay engaged and keep plowing through it. I appreciated his concrete, specific suggestions at the end for how to actualize nonviolence: "Use alternative media (and commercial media only with extreme care); Take care of yourself spiritually; Relate kindly and personally to others; Learn nonviolence; Build peace." (p 294) Seems like good principles ...more
Haris
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Michael Nagler's "The Search for a Nonviolent Future" is at times more stuffed with rhetoric or preachiness than it is intellectually rigorous, and it focuses a bit too much on the lives of MLK and Gandhi (still noteworthy, but occasionally overworn and possibly overpolished examples). Nevertheless, Nagler's book is a comforting descent from the "ivory tower" of academia," illuminating the lost history and present of nonviolent action, emphasizing that nonviolence is far from naive passivity ...more
Kathleen Reilly
Used a lot of anecdotal episodes that I felt weren't enough to prove his points. Some of his assumptions about human nature seemed more like wishful thinking, but he did make some interesting points and gave some insight in how in incorporate non-violence into our daily lives.
منى العبدلي
Apr 18, 2011 marked it as to-read
الكتاب بترجمة عربية للمترجم غياث جازي وقد قرأت مقتطفات منه وهالني حقيقة التعريفات التي دارت حول العنف واللاعنف .. اتوق لقراءة هذا الكتاب وإسقاط مافيه على ما يجرى حولنا مؤخرا من عنف جسدي ولفظي ..
Terry
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This book had some ideas on how to be nonviolent in a VERY violent world but to me it was not realistic in the world today. Some of the stories that have chosen to be nonviolent were really good examples of nonviolence choices and the outcome of them.
Daniel Cornwall
Nov 19, 2017
melissa
rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2007
Tord
Jul 07, 2014
Briana
rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2015

• The Casual Vacancy
  • Reading in the Dark
  • The Importance of Being Earnest
  • A Little in Love
  • The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)
  • A Prayer for Owen Meany
  • The Butcher Boy
  • The Day the World Came to Town: 9/11 in Gander, Newfoundland
  • The Children of Men
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything
  • Eve of Man (Eve of Man, #1)
  • The Bookish Life of Nina Hill
  • Winters' Snow
  • On the Other Side
“there is a world of difference between calling something evil and calling someone evil. The first strategy mobilizes resources against the problem; the second only recycles the ultimate cause of the problem, which is ill will, resentment, lack of empathy, and eventually hatred.” 2 likes