Start by marking “Where the Wild Coffee Grows: The Untold Story of Coffee from the Cloud Forests of Ethiopia to Your Cup” as Want to Read:

Coffee is one of the largest and most valuable commodities in the world. This is the story of its origins, its history, and the threat to its future, by the IACP Award–winning author of Darjeeling.

Located between the Great Rift Valley and the Nile, the cloud forests in southwestern Ethiopia are the original home of Arabica, the most prevalent and superior of the two main s
Published November 14th 2017 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Where the Wild Coffee Grows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Wild Coffee Grows

Start your review of Where the Wild Coffee Grows: The Untold Story of Coffee from the Cloud Forests of Ethiopia to Your Cup
Always Pouting
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book traces the origins of coffee, or what we know of the origins of coffee, and then covers current cultivation of coffee and the need for finding a more genetically diverse coffee plant. The coffee plant seems to have the same issue that other monocrops do, where its uniformness leads it vulnerable to being wiped out by disease. I actually did think coffee originated in the middle east, having heard it's roasting and drinking be credited to Sufis, so learning of it's origins in Ethiopia w ...more
Odai Al-Saeed
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
باتت القهوة المشروب الشعبي الأول عالمياً كما أنه أصبح أسلوباً ممتهجاً لثراء أصحاب المقاهي الذين تنوعوا في تقديم خلطاتهم الخاصة لهذا المشروب السحري
هل تتوق لمعرفة أفضل محاصيل القهوة في العالم وأين تزرع وكيف تصنع بحرفية وكم من حبوبها يلزم لاستخراج ربع كيلو صافي وجاهز للتصدير؟
الكتاب يمضي إلى أعمق من ذلك ويسهب في نشأتها وانتقالها إلى العوالم الأخرى وتأثيراتها .:... إلخ
الكتب فيه اثراء معلوماتي إبداعي مذهل ... يستحق الإشادة
Denise
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Being the coffee lover that I am, reading this book was a no-brainer for me. I love coffee and I was super interested to find out more about its history and production. Jeff Koehler brings to light the secret world of coffee production, and brings you behind the scenes to the sometimes secretive and shady, but ever lucrative, coffee business. I give this book four stars - the information was very interesting and enlightening, but the story lagged in a few parts. However, I definitely recommend p ...more
Nostalgia Reader
Those of us who rely on coffee for our caffeine boosts probably take the plant for granted, especially in the coffee-driven culture of the US. It's easy to pop into the corner coffee store for a refill or pick up any variety of bagged coffee at the grocery store. And while many of us probably like our flavored coffees--caramel or hazelnut or any of the many seasonal flavors--we never really think about the flavor of the coffee itself.

While I find straight black coffee simply too bitter for my ta
Cristina
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
As Colombian-American, coffee is quite literally my lifeblood. I felt like I owed it to my multi-cup-a-day habit to learn a bit more about this precious beverage, and I found the history of mankind's relationship with this bean to be fascinating. The first few chapters were a bit long-winded and overly detailed while excavating the history of Ethiopian politics, tangential to the story at hand. But once the text returned to the global impact of coffee and threats to its future, the book was hard ...more
Jordan J. Andlovec
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading about coffee for nearly a decade, and nothing I have read has been close to this book. The depth of research and insight, the respect for coffee's roots and its future, and the narrative that frames it all is top-shelf writing. I have greatly enjoyed reading and discussing this book with my coffee book club, and I think the next book we dive into has a lot to live up to.

There were frequent eye-rolling sections where the coffee industry and its more well known figures are rom
Dale Dewitt
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
A true love letter to the birthplace of coffee and our love affair with the drink. I loved this book, i learned so much about ethiopia as the birthplace of coffee and the people who bring it to market. I also learned about the way coffee has spread around the world and how the world loves and consumes such a ubiquitous beverage.
Zainab AlKanderi
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جولة رائعة ومثيرة للاهتمام عن تاريخ القهوة وإثيوبيا ورحلة انتشار القهوة إلى جميع أنحاء العالم.
إن كنت من عشاق القهوة، فعليك قراءة هذا الكتاب بكل تأكيد.
Haider
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
سرد تاريخي واستقصاء صحفي حول تاريخ القهوة من غابة الكافا في اثيوبيا الى ميناء المخا في اليمن.
على عكس الاعتقاد السائد ان الكافيهات نتاج غربي.. كانت اولى المقاهي لتقديم القهوة انطلقت من الجزيرة العربية في القرن ١٦ ومن ثم اسطنبول. وعندما وصلت اوروبا حرمها الكهنة باعتباره مشروبا اسلاميا.

انتشرت المقاهي في لندن وباريس في القرن ١٧ وصارت ملتقى الادباء والمفكرين والفلاسفة، واصبحت القهوة ترفا شرقيا!
‏بمعنى ان شعور الاوروبي في تلك الحقبة وهو يشرب القهوة انه انسان عصري حداثي، نفس شعور الشرقي الان وهو يحتس
Heather
I adore coffee. I love it hot or cold, morning or night. When I found this book I just knew I had to read it.

It starts out in Ethiopia where the coffee literally grows wild. It talks about how much coffee has changed their area of the world, even their culture. It goes on to explain its travel around the world until the way coffee is loved throughout the globe today.

This would be a great book for any fellow coffee lover or anyone who is interested in the history of this amazing drink.

Kimberly  Edwin
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book about the Kafa region of Ethiopia and the original coffee that grows there. I have seen coffee cultivations in Jamaica and was interested to learn that the arabica monoculture is in danger from rust fungus infestation. The wild coffee trees of Kafa offer biodiversity and these wild varieties could help stave off the total collapse of the coffee industry. I adore good coffee, as do many, and I also love Ethiopia, and have many books about it. Brew up some Yirgacheffe and ...more
JB Finley
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting examination of coffee's origins in the wilds of Ethiopia, its spread around the globe, and its future. A must for people deeply interested in coffee. The most engaging parts, for me, are those where the author is writing from first-hand experience, on location in the cloud forests of Ethiopia. I should say, this review is partial because I am friends with Jeff Koehler and mentioned in his acknowledgements.
Mackenzie
Ever wonder where coffee originated? This book lays out the ins and outs of how coffee came to be a delicious and beloved beverage of many people. There are many interesting points and facts throughout this book. The dates and people become kind of confusing and interwoven. I wish the book was more organized by date. It became very hard to follow the story at times. Overall, quite interesting and fascinating to read about all of the facts about coffee through the years.
Pradeep Kumbhashi
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
You will surely start enjoying your coffee lot more after you read this book.
Book covers about history of coffee, coffee from different nations, diseases that can harm coffee plants, current situation about coffee plantations.

Wish they also provided samples of all the coffee that they have mentioned,along with this book. Too much to ask for ;)
Gary Myers
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was an offbeat choice for me, but I was curious about the beginnings of the coffee story. However, I wasn't curious to read the entire book, so I stopped after the chapters covering my area of interest & I had skimmed some of the preceding chapters. I base my rating on the detail & quality of writing that I did read. ...more
David Martin
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title describes this excellent book well. There were times I was curious as to why I was reading some of the material, but it in the end I found all of the individual elements important to the final brew. Jeff Koehler really does an excellent job of helping me understand why this wild coffee is so very important.
Annabel Townsend
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fascinating account of coffee's origins, and quite a different take to the usual explorations of cultivated coffee in South and Central America. I also appreciated the fact that it ends on a hopeful note, despite poignantly detailing the devastation of climate change.
Cat
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but have folks who are both among family and friends. For those diehards- they will love this book! loaded with coffee facts and history. For the rest of us, interesting read!
Lauri Rottmayer
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: coffee lovers
As a self-proclaimed coffee achiever, I really enjoyed this book. I loved reading the history and culture of coffee. I found the book to be a little slow moving at times but, still, very interesting and worth the read. An ode to my favorite beverage. Well done!
Snehasis
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting travelogue that covers the history of coffee, Ethiopia and the journey of the majestic plant throughout the world. Almost all varieties of coffee produced today have their origins from Ethiopia. A must read for coffee aficionados.
PG
Mar 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very informative. Slight hiccups in the proofread and some seemingly unrelated tangents, yet it all circles back to the core idea: coffee cultivation is impressive, but coffee cultivation is in trouble and has been for longer than you might think.
Rhonda Lomazow
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
For all of us who love coffee fascinating read from Ethiopia and around the world an ode to coffee,Thanks to NetGalley & Bloomsbury for advance readers copy, ...more
Karla Winick-Ford
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent read
chris
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
For a short book, I thought this would never end. Just not the right book for me, worth a shot though.
Amy
Feb 24, 2018 rated it liked it
NF

219 pages

An interesting read with a cup of coffee.
John Corley
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A pleasurable read on the history of this important commodity.
Zachary Mezz
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative book about the coffee industry in Ethiopia! Now to get my hands on some Geisha...
James
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“Kubbo aallegaata, Kafachoch kashoo aalle.”
~~Kafa Proverb: Without forests, no life for Kafa.

“Move up a degree [Celsius], you affect taste. Move up two degrees, you affect production. Three degrees, mortality: your plants are dead.”
~~Aaron Davis, Kew Gardens, to a Specialty Coffee Association of America symposium in Boston, 2013.

Jeff Koehler begins and ends his telling of the story of coffee in Kafa (or Kaffa), the kingdom that gave the world coffee and which is now a province of Ethiopia. The
Jithin Nair
Jan 11, 2020
Jason
Mar 10, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Smoke and Ashes (Sam Wyndham, #3)
  • أصل الأشياء: بدايات الثقافة الإنسانية
  • Kingdom of Nauvoo: The Rise and Fall of a Religious Empire on the American Frontier
  • Cocoa
  • The Eighth Continent: Life, Death and Discovery in the Lost World of Madagascar
  • حارس سطح العالم
  • A Rich and Tantalizing Brew: A History of How Coffee Connected the World
  • ناقة صالحة
  • Atlas of a Lost World: Travels in Ice Age America
  • Running
  • مختصر تاريخ الفلسفة
  • Myths to Live By
  • Love at Goon Park: Harry Harlow and the Science of Affection
  • Gideon's Sword (Gideon Crew, #1)
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living