Start by marking “Valensteins” as Want to Read:
Valensteins

Valensteins

(Fright Club #2)

Something strange is in the air on this dark, cold night.

The members of Fright Club are always ready to scare, but tonight Fran K. Stein has something else on his mind. He's busy making something, and the other monsters want to know what it is.

Could it be a mask with fangs? A big pink nose? Or maybe a paper butt? No . . . it's a Valentine!

That means one thing . . . EEEE
Published December 19th 2017 by Bloomsbury (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Valensteins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valensteins

Start your review of Valensteins
Calista
OMG! My nephew loved this book. It is funny too. Frank, his favorite is making a Valentine heart out of pink paper. They learn what that means and everything about love grosses out all the other kids like the ghost, the witch and Drac. It reminds me of little kids. It is really funny. There is actually a great message with this; love is about what’s inside your heart and what you can share. This is a super cute story.

The nephew gave this 5 stars plus a billion. He loved the monsters. The niece
Schizanthus Nerd
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So, I decided to read a love story to coincide with the royal wedding and naturally chose a picture book. The Fright Club members are all practising their scares, from the ghost’s Boo! to the butterfly’s Blah!, but Fran K. Stein is doing something weird with pink paper, scissors and glue.

Several of the Club members try to guess what Fran is making (the ghost’s paper butt guess is the best one) before Bunny explains what Fran is really up to. It turns out that it’s Valentine’s Day and Fran has m
Matt
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
What do you get when you mix the monsters of Hallowe'en with the season of love? This cute little story by Ethan Long! When Fran is caught cutting out a paper heart by all of his friends, they wonder what's going on. It is only when someone discovers that Fran may be in 'love' that things get a little intense. The ghoulish gang learns about love in all its forms and wonders if Fran can be feeling all that. Wanting to isolate himself, Fran takes things into his own hands and discovers that someti ...more
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

“Do you think Fran… gulp …is in LOVE? EEEEk!”

Valensteins by Ethan Long is a silly, sweet tale about Fran K. Stein falling in love. His friends, who we met in Fright Club, try to explain and understand the thump-thump-thump of the heart when love comes into play. I won’t get too mushy on you. I’ll let the monster gang tell you all about the fluttering eyes, paper hearts, and feelings. Feelings! EEEEK! Haha….For me, this was a fun way of trying to explain love to young readers.

This Halloween meets
Emily
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was super cute.

And paper hearts do look like butts.
June
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: love and valentine requests
Rounded up because I liked the effort of trying to explain what love is

"...love isn't about being mushy mushy or fluttering your eyes or kissing someone on the lips... ...and it certainly isn't about cutting out paper hearts. "Tee-hee! It looks like a paper butt." It's about something you feel in your real hear, even if it does feel a little funny sometimes." 12/26/17

Got a lot of laughs at Preschool Story Time
Abigail
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoyed Fright Club
That monstrous crew, the Fright Club, return in this second picture-book devoted to their adventures, this time confronting the terrifying reality of... love! Fran K. Stein in making a Valentine, something his fellow monsters (and other cute members of the club) have trouble understanding. Surely love, with its mushiness and kissing, is gross? Or is it...?

Like its predecessor, Valensteins pairs an engagingly spooky tale with appealing, dark-toned illustrations. Young children will enjoy the sill
Gary Anderson
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Imagine the “Monster Mash” song as a Valentine’s Day picture book, and you’ll have the general idea of Ethan Long’s Valensteins. It’s mostly just silly fun (with two butt jokes) about Frankenstein’s crush and his monster friends’ attempts to understand it. The final pages move beyond the silliness to a statement about how love is more than “being mushy mushy or fluttering your eyes or kissing someone on the lips.”
Gina
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this is the first children's book I have read about when one child starts getting crushes and their friends are all still at the thinking it's gross stage. It could probably be better, but it fills an empty spot and telling the story with monsters give kids who don't care about the subject matter yet a way in.
Joss
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
SO CUTE.
Dimity Powell
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Funny Valentine's spoof with tons of heart.
Kimberly
Very cute. Lots of opportunity for read-aloud fun with this one, as the options for funny voices are endless.
Hope
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite Valentine book. Would be a hilarious read aloud - I can already see the kids laughing. Totally caught me off guard. I was cracking up in the store reading it.
LizzyBerry
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this would be a hit for storytime, lots of comedy. May use for my Valentine's storytime.
Jessica
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So cute and really told about liking someone.
Chinook
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Maddie loved this one and Kait loved the silliness.
Set
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
A cute book with Halloween characters for Valentines. The illustrations are in a black and white old photograph/tv style to give it that vintage look.
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty funny little story about a monstrous Valentine's Day celebration. I particularly liked how the paper hearts were mistaken for pink butts. Tee hee.
Chelsea
*INSERT REVIEW

Read during Toddler Time on February 4, 2019.
Read during school visit on February 4th, 2019.
Read during school visit on February 6th, 2019.
Katies_Faves
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I bought this to read for my son's first grade Valentine's class. We haven't read it for the class yet, but my son thought it was hilarious. He thought it was a great book for me to read to his class... even though it does have some "kissy" language in there. But the EEEWWW's made up for it and the "hey that looks like a paper butt" -- very appropriate for my son. Lol.
I am only giving it 4 stars because I felt that the art work was very dark - as in hard to see - on some pages and I wished it wa
Sandy
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is cute children’s book. So, what is love? Does it make your heart feel like butterflies? Does it make you feel all mushy inside? Does it mean you have to kiss someone? To the individuals at Fran’s Fright Club, they think falling in love sounds terrifying and yucky yet to Fran, it feels just right.

This children’s book had me laughing and smiling as I turned the pages and I thought my granddaughter would just love it. Fran is caught making a pink heart by Vladimir and Vladimir proceeds to le
Lisa
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
this story is so adorable!!! All of the Halloween "monster" talking about love. The pictures were fun the story was not wordy at all. It was hilarious to read and look at. If I read this to my children I would have to do during the day because I think that this would get them worked up at bedtime laughing. A storytime is a must with this. It explains what love is, how it feels, and maybe how to act on it. If there was a craft afterwards, a simple one would be a paper heart like in the story. Thi ...more
Arminzerella
Frankenstein (Fran) is making a paper heart Valentine for his sweetie and all of his friends are curious. What IS it? A paper nose? A paper bat? A butt? (hahahaha!) Only the rabbit seems to know what’s going on and the monsters listen with rapt attention (and then horror) as he explains about Valentine’s Day, and then LOVE. Fran goes outside to get some air, then meets his sweetheart and gives her the Valentine. She thinks it looks like a butt, too. This is a silly and funny story that will have ...more
Melanie
Fran K. Stein is making a pink heart valentine for someone. The rest of the Fright Club begins to give him a hard time. They explain that valentine's are for people who love each other. Love is mushy, mushy and eye-fluttering and... oh. My. Goodness: KISSING ON THE LIPS!!!!

In the end Frank shows that love is not necessarily any of those things. Love is a real feeling.

Children will squeal with delight at this story. Definitely recommended for a storytime.
Juliana Lee
Laugh out loud funny! While all the other monsters in the treehouse are practicing their howls and growls, Fran is cutting out a pink heart. No one knows what it is at first... half of a set of fangs, bat wings, a paper butt? But when they figure out that Fran is in love, they are all grossed out! Fran isn't fazed though, he takes his paper heart outside and sits with his 'girlfriend' and stares at the moon. YUCK! :)
Martha
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this companion title to Fright Club, with all of the club members included, Fran makes a valentine. Of course the gang wants to know why, Fran stays silent as Bunny informs the club, "That's when two people feel all mushy mushy about each other." But Fran has ideas of his own. A delightful short valentine story about true love. Perfect read aloud for Valentine's week.
Lindsay
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Frankenstein needs love too and he wants to express it using a cutout of a paper heart. His friends don't understand what this heart is; my son cracked up when one of his friends said the heart looked like a butt. Luckily there is an adorable little bunny who explains how Frankenstein feels and Frankenstein eventually finds someone to share his heart with.
Ruth Ann
Fran K. Stein is with members of the Fright Club while he is making a valentine for his love. As they try to guess what he is making, the silly jokes begin.
Cute Valentine book for the kindergarten crowd. :)
Jillian
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Cute! I wasn't quite so into the "EEEEEWWWW GROSSS" parts, because I'm not big on encouraging kids to think emotionally-related stuff is gross. BUTT! (Paper butt!) I did like the explanation at the end. AND I liked that love is about "two people." No genders implied.

Cute illustrations, too!

• The Yuckiest, Stinkiest, Best Valentine Ever
  • A Valentine for Frankenstein
  • Reading Beauty
  • Hug Machine
  • Click, Clack, Moo I Love You!
  • Worm Loves Worm
  • Chick 'n' Pug: The Love Pug
  • Bruce's Big Storm
  • Mirabel's Missing Valentines
  • A Busy Creature's Day Eating!
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way
  • A Charlie Brown Valentine
Ethan Long is a popular, award-winning and internationally recognized children's book author and illustrator with over 70 children's books, a Theodor Seuss Geisel Award and an Emmy-nominated television series to his credit. Just about all of his awake time is spent writing stories, drawing pictures and spending time with his family. Since graduating from Ringling College of Art and Design in 1991, ...more

Fright Club (3 books)