Start by marking “Niki Jabbour's Veggie Remix: Shaking Up the Vegetable Garden with 99 Intriguing Plants from Around the World” as Want to Read:

After years of growing the same kinds of vegetables, home gardeners are looking for something new to try. After all, if you like broccoli, you might also like broccoli raab. If you re a tomato enthusiast, you should try garden huckleberry. Do you love cilantro? Why not plant its Central American cousin culantro? These are just a handful of the dozens of examples Niki Jabbo ...more
Paperback
Published February 6th 2018 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Niki Jabbour's Veggie Remix, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Niki Jabbour's Veggie Remix

Yvonne
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will be posting my thoughts nearer to publication time.
Benjamin
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, one of the sort I should probably stop reading.
*my brain* "Whoa, look how cool that is! I should grow that! I can cook that! That would fit in that unused corner..."
*rational brain* "Maybe we should focus on the some of the other 40 species we're trying to grow-"
*rest of brain* "nah, lets go put in another order for plants!"
Justin
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
This book covers a broad range of plants that I am interested in.
I found it useful to help decide what plants to grow, but not too useful on how to grow them
Aja Marsh
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a fun idea for a gardening book, with just the right mix of geekiness, practical advice, and sense of humor. as a veg-based chef, foodie, and gardener, there wasn't a lot in here for me personally that i wasn't aware of, and only one thing i hadn't heard of before and was interested in possibly growing. fun times!
Annie
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader

Niki Jabbour is a familiar name to people who love gardening (or reading about gardening). This is her newest book, which offers a fun and useful look at heirloom varieties and alternatives to classic garden crops such as potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, radishes, etc.

There's a whole literal world of heirloom and localized varieties which are mostly not known to American gardeners. Some of them are becoming more available via farmers' markets and CSAs a
Heather
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garden
I first heard about this book and the author from the podcast I listen to “Living Homegrown” and I knew I had to get the book! I mean how could you not with such fascinating names and varieties of edibles I had never heard of! But this was more than just another garden plant picture book with minuscule information, this was a plethora of plant knowledge and use which I greatly appreciated! If I’m going to add another gardening book to my shelf, then it needs to earn its shelf space and this book ...more
Patty
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
A how-to book for gardeners that encourages people to chose a more diverse range of vegetables. Jabbour opens with a sweet story describing how she herself began to explore beyond 'traditional' veggies: she planted a snake gourd, believing it to be inedible but useful for decorating once dried. Instead her mother-in-law recognized the small, young version of the gourd as a vegetable she hadn't eaten since her childhood in Lebanon, and promptly cooked a long-lost stew.

The book is organized by ch
Dee
It is telling about Niki Jabbour's huge influence in vegetable gardening that her name tops the name of her current book. Niki is a genuine vegetable gardener, and I love this book. I also know Niki and love her too, but that has nothing to do with how I feel about this book. It is a brilliant step in her vegetable gardening canon. The remix presents unique vegetable varieties to enliven your garden of tomatoes, beans, and greens. If you want to stir things up and try something new, you should r ...more
NixLapi
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
I really enjoyed thumbing through this book, the photos were beautiful and of course I want the snow to disappear already so I can get planting! Overall I found this to be a neat reference book, something to peruse while perusing the seed catalogs in January, to help push you towards trying something new and different. But I don't feel it's a book I would reference again and again (like I do with Niki Jabbour's the Year-Round Vegetable Gardener book), it was not as packed with growing tips and w ...more
Amy
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a colorful and informative garden read! I really liked the variety of plants that were mentioned in this book. I was also pleased that I was familiar with quite a few of them and now I want to try to grow them in my garden even more. This book had wonderful color pictures showing the variety of plants a gardener can choose from (like if you like this plant, then you may really love these selections...). The descriptions of each plant were detailed and easy to read. This is a great reference ...more
Kali
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed learning more about different varieties of vegetables and plants that are already in my ornamental garden that are edible. I especially appreciate led tips about ways to extend my growing season with varieties that thrive in hotter/colder weather than their standard counterparts. The pictures are great and the writing style is fun and engaging. I’ll definitely be keeping this handy for annual inspiration and growing tips as I start trying new things in the garden.
Anna Zollinger
This review was made possible by NetGalley, who provided a Digital Advanced Release Copy for review (DARC); my review of the material may not wholly reflect the final product upon its publication.

I've finished this title but haven't formulated a complete review of the material yet due to the nature of the book. When I do, I'll update this page to reflect my thoughts.
Heather
Feb 03, 2018 marked it as to-read
This book encourages readers to branch out of the typical garden plants like tomatoes and peppers and into more exotic varieties. This pictures are amazing and there is lots of information here. A great book to refer to again.

* Thank you to Niki Jabbour, Storey Publishing and Netgalley for providing a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
KC
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A comprehensive guide to harvesting vegetables outside of your comfort zone. I really loved all the ideas and easy laid out steps in furthering my plant repertoire. With outstanding photographs and a detailed outline on pollination, this book covers all things gardening.
Mary
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nicely written with good illustrations covering some unusual, exotic or often overlooked vegetables gardeners might like to try in place of or along with old favorites. Good information on the conditions the plants require and how to harvest and use them.
Leslie Halleck
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic! It is jam packed with in-depth info about so many veggies you probably haven’t grown. I love the “like these?”/“try these” comparisons. And to top it off the book is beautiful. If you want to branch out and try new edibles this is a wonderful resource!
Gay Ann
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
One of the most comprehensive, unique varieties of vegetables I've seen in a long time. You'll want to try some of these curious plants in your garden. It is like walking through a botanical garden with all the photos, fact boxes and why you might like to grow the plant.
Sarah White
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! Offers lots of great ideas for unusual veg and herbs to grow in your home garden. Mine is still tiny this year but I’m tempted by a lot of these fun, lesser-know items. Beautiful photography and great tips make this a useful and inspiring guide.
Araceli Romo
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Moms of fussy eaters, growing your own vegetables can help to get those picky eaters experience different vegetables. This book is a wealth of information and fun bits about vegetables and even gardeners will be amazed at the value and originality of this book’s contents.
Janice Treat snow
LOVED this book! I got it from the library, now I MUST own it. You can't just read it and return it....it's the kind of book that will be referred back to time and time again. Perfect for anyone with some gardening experience who is ready to branch out.
Heidi
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some great ideas to extend the garden and try new plants.
Heydi Smith
Fantastic book that introduces you to so many new varieties of veggies, some I’d never heard of. Great photographs. Fun book to read.
Rhonda
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great gardening advice and recommendations.
Jan
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great information about vegetables you may not have been familiar with. Watermelon Radish and Rainbow Lacinato Kale are my picks to try this year.
Lynne
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting book on the different and unusual varieties of vegetables.
Julaine
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
So many interesting vegetables to try. I loved the personal notes on growing the different plants.
Diana
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book for veggie gardeners looking for some new and interesting varieties to grow. There were even a few that were new to me.
Brianna Sowinski
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and helpful guide to growing heirloom varieties and lesser known crops.
Kelsey Buckley
Great book for novice and veteran gardeners! Nicely formatted with beautiful pictures.
Michelle
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely take out in January when planning garden.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Niki Jabbour is the author of the best-selling, award winning book, The Year Round Vegetable Gardener (American Horticultural Society Book Award), Groundbreaking Food Gardens & Veggie Garden Remix (All published by Storey Publishing). Niki writes for a wide variety of magazines and newspapers, including Fine Gardening, Horticulture, Garden Making and Birds & Blooms. She speaks at garden sh ...more