Start by marking “Moonwar” as Want to Read:
Moonwar

Moonwar (Moonbase Saga #2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
The sequel to Moonrise. Douglas Stavenger and his dedicated team of scientists are determined to defend their life's work, but technology-hating factions on Earth want to close the flourishing space colony, Moonbase. Can a combination of military defence and political wisdom save the colony?
Published April 16th 1998 by Not Avail (first published 1997)

Steve Goble
I really, really wanted to like "Moonwar."

Near- future science fiction by a guy who knows his science, writing a tale of a Moonbase embroiled in political battles and a takeover threat by Earthers who fear the nanotechnology used at the lunar site? Espionage? Battles? I figured it would have to be good.

It isn't.

SPOiLERS BELOW

I gave up on page 281, about midpoint. What started it downhill it for me was Bova's portrayal of journalism and interpersonal communications. The book was published in 1998
Dan
Oct 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Bova cannot write a female character to save his life! They were all two-dimensional and their entire being centered around the male characters.
Henry
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This was no where as great a book as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" and was a bit slow at times.
Tate Shannon
Update, about halfway through:

I'm not sure what to think about this book. The plot is quickly paced and interesting; for some reason I keep reading chapter after chapter.

Here are the negatives:

Most blaringly, this is the most racist, sexist book I've ever read (and I've read some doozies). The most prominent black character is most frequently called "the mercenary" and lives with a chip on his shoulder because of his "color problems" back on Earth citing that every black man on Earth has color p
Geoff Battle
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moonwar jumps right in to the action, following on from the scenario laid out in Moonrise. Once again Douglas Stavenger, the man in symbiosis with nanobots, is protecting his father's dream, now his own, of a sustainable colony upon the moon. Bova weaves a tale of a political as well as conventional warfare, with Moonbase on the short end of the stick. As Doug tries to rally support the scientists upon the moon must create a way to prevent disaster, without any weapons at their disposal. A cleve ...more
Will Hudson
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was better then the last one. Ben really needs on developing characters that are not so one dimensional. Which seems to be a theme in my Sci Fi book reviews of late. The premise is great and the writing is good. You end up though with a couple of characters that are well fleshed out and then the rest end up being stereotypes of one kind or another. Granted, we are all that way in the real world to some degree, but you expect more from a book. LOL!
John
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read Moonrise before this novel, it will be easier to follow the characters and issues. Bova will never disappoint you if you like your science fiction to be close to scientific possibility.
Emma
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
3.5/5 stars

How many times have I picked up an adult SFF book and read it, completely oblivious to the fact that it was the second, fourth, seventh (?! This actually happened) book in a series?
HMM LET ME COUNT.
Fine. This is only the fifth time. But I want to start at the beginning, darn it. Do you know how hard that is when the book doesn't tell me where the beginning is at? I have to actually look on Goodreads or Google the book or something. Ain't nobody got time for that!

Alright, that mini-r
Doc Kinne
It's too bad you can't give fractional ratings. While I rated this book a "3," I really wanted to rate it a "3.5."

Why not higher? Well, honestly the book suffers a bit from what I like to call "the Star Wars lack of imagination" - in the end the basic plot outline is just too similar to Moonrise. While the details are different, you get the distinct impression you've been here before, in the same way that those of us who watched Jedi years ago said, "Wait? They're going against the Death Star.
Monique
In this book the Earth has declared war on Moonbase due to their use of nanotechnology which the New Morality (which controls most of the world anyways) disagrees with. Moonbase, along with some unexpected help from unexpected allies, decides to fight. It's either fight or die in their eyes.

The storyline was good, it had a few slow parts but there was a lot of action packed moments too. The defense of Moonbase by Moonbase's residents was interesting. The characters were written okay, some of th
AndrewP
Another in the Grand Tour series and the direct sequel to "Moonrise'. Best to read them in order as this books features the same characters and it it would not make as much sense without the whole background story of 'Moonrise'.

Another good edge of the seat story with the fledgling Moonbase struggling against corporate takeover, political demands from the U.N. and people with personal vendettas. Most of the book was a real page turner and I read through this in a couple of days.

As usual, Ben Bov
Jim
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nanoluddites on the Earth are unhappy about those on the Moonbase of a nearish future using nanotechnology and they have a champion in the meglomaniac leader of the UN, who assembles a "peacekeeping" force to destroy the Moonbase. The Moonbase has no weapons only a charismatic young leader, Doug, and some clever scientists. The science is plausible and the action increases to a climatic ending as the residents of Moonbase prepare their defence against the World.
Classic science fiction, an e
Kris
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As good as its predecessor Moonrise, it tells the story of the small outpost Moon Base gaining independence form the increasingly technophobic "flat-landers". The Earth is increasingly falling under the influence of scientifically illiterate fundamentalist religious groups and the struggling Moon Base, humanity's foothold in the final frontier, is economically and physically attacked by the UN in an attempt to bring them to heal and exert control over one of the last bastions of free thought and ...more
Andreas
Fairly interesting tale about the colonization of the moon. Although he might not have planned it that way originally, Moonwar kicked off Bova’s “Grand Tour of the Solar System” series. All in all, the Moon books are enjoyable, but not outstanding. The rather bleak ecodisaster future for the Earth often used as a backdrop by Bova is, I think, first portrayed here.

Gibreel
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-again
Loved it! I would like to say that not only is it wonderful that you can imagine the Moon being populated by people as independent as the people of Earth, I would like to continue reading this author for reason that have included the idea that finding life on other planets is not a once attempted once accepted but a challenge for many and for many times over.
Derek
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Bova's very best. I have read a number of his books and this one is great. In this book he avoids the pitfalls of Moonbase (the first book in the series) by having this book take place over a period of a few months. Everything moves very fast in this book. The final 70 pages fly by with lots of action scenes.
George
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
The second in the series, it kept me listening and interested for a long while. I couldn't wait for the book to end. But, alas, it did. The book contains a mix of megalomania and sci fi. Some, is almost believable.
Brian
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Predictable. The 'New Morality' which is quickly gripping the world in a theocracy, opposes nanotechnology, and will use terrorism to attain their goals. Overall, a nice read - a bit too long & not very believable.
Dave Wooldridge
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sequel was just as good, if not a little better than "Moonrise." Captivating hard SF tale of a Moonbase struggling to assert its independence and protect its nanotechnology against conservative organizations and governments back on Earth. Highly recommended 2-book series.
Gene
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much better than I expected. Great action with trends sounding like modern political happenings even though this was written in 1998. Complex plot with well drawn characters, it kept me hanging through the end.
Phil
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, let me preface by saying I don't usually fall for space battle. But this is the Moonbase! And mostly unarmed scientists, that have invent weapons by the skin of their teeth and using the material on hand. You got it... this is a MacGyver moment many times over. Don't miss this.
Rob Roy
The sequel to Moonbase, this is a fast paced thriller. It is a tale of power seeking, greed, betrayal, revenge, and fanaticism. These horrors are balanced by resourcefulness, a love of freedom, and self reliance.
Olof
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too much politics, and too litle action. And too little nuance. An ok read, but not more.
Maggie
Couldn't read this one
James Chapman Hall
If you're a Bova fan you'll enjoy it, stick with it and the last 100 pages get really good.
Randy
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Battle for control of the moon.
Corenna Dopkowski
I am now a major Ben Bova fan and think everyone should try reading at least one of his books. He makes living in space seem very realistic and appealing and still full of humanity.
Joan Huehnerhoff
Good old-fashion sci-fi. a delightful read
Philip Benge
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ben Bova is one of the best scifi writers and this book is excellent reading
Brett
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Science Fiction
  • Furious Gulf (Galactic Center, #5)
  • Titan (NASA Trilogy, #2)
  • Interstellar Patrol II: The Federation of Humanity
  • A King of Infinite Space (Near Space, #5)
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Moonfall
  • Mining the Oort
  • The Infinite Sea (Chaos Chronicles, #3)
  • Catch the Lightning (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #2)
  • Choosing Names (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • The Silent Warrior (Forever Hero, #2)
  • Overthrowing Heaven (Jon & Lobo, #3)
  • The Voyage
Ben Bova was born on November 8, 1932 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In 1953, while attending Temple University, he married Rosa Cucinotta, they had a son and a daughter. He would later divorce Rosa in 1974. In that same year he married Barbara Berson Rose.

Bova is an avid fencer and organized Avco Everett's fencing club. He is an environmentalist, but rejects Luddism.

Bova was a technical writer fo
More about Ben Bova...

Moonbase Saga (2 books)
  • Moonrise (The Grand Tour, #5; Moonbase Saga, #1)