Start by marking “Southern Bastards, Vol. 4: Gut Check” as Want to Read:
Southern Bastards, Vol. 4: Gut Check

Southern Bastards, Vol. 4: Gut Check

(Southern Bastards (Collected Editions) #4)

Coach Boss holds sway over Craw County for one reason: he wins football games. But after the biggest, ugliest loss of his career, the coach must become more of a criminal than ever before, if he's gonna keep ahead of his enemies.
Enemies like Roberta Tubb, who's come to town with a machine gun and some serious questions about how her daddy died.
The 2015 Harvey
Published July 3rd 2018 by Image Comics

Start your review of Southern Bastards, Vol. 4: Gut Check
Sam Quixote
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best-comics-2018
Post-Homecoming and the Runnin’ Rebs are losing one game after another. But Coach Boss’ troubles don’t stop at the field - a rival drug-lord from a nearby town is threatening his business operations and Roberta Tubbs, daughter of Earl whom he murdered earlier in the series, has him in her sights for revenge. Is this the end for Coach Boss or will he get a last minute hail mary?

Southern Bastards, Volume 4: Gut Check is a helluva touchdown in the end zone. D-did I do it - did I sound like I knows
David Schaafsma
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
The Homecoming game of the Runnin’ Rebs in Craw County didn’t go so well in the last volume, and you know Southern football, they have to win, so Coach Boss resorts to extraordinary means (well, not extraordinary for how the drug-lord typically operates, but not typical of how he has won football games), but in the process the coach has to deal with Colonel Quick McLusky (who looks suspiciously like Burt Reynolds), another drug lord associated with the Locust Fork Superbolts, and Roberta Tubbs, ...more
Chad
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
All of my friends seem to have loved this one, but I feel this is where the series jumped the shark. Now I'm supposed to believe that the next county over also has a drug-running football coach. This one with a literal monkey on his back and talks like Foghorn Leghorn. Plus Coach Boss tackles and uproots a tree. (That may have been the dumbest sentence I ever wrote.) The art is absolutely terrible. It's so rushed I can't tell what is going on during the final sequences with Roberta and Boss. ...more
Donovan
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Vicious and bloody, this riveting chapter in the southern crime comic twists, reveals, and manifests characters’ demons, beginning the inevitable war this story deserves.
Roy
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was good. I read it as single issues. The daughter comes to town as we expect. Violence galore as per normal but I think its becoming a little too similar througout.
Rod Brown
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The tide is starting to turn against Coach Boss and his attempts to maintain control are only making things worse. There is plenty of gritty, violent noir to be had. My one reservation is that it felt like the series should have ended right here with a single satisfactory shot, but the creators use a weak-ass justification to avert that outcome. The pressure is now on future volumes earn this extension of the story.
Frédéric
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, crime
The Rebs are on a losing streak, compromising the sacro-saints “Friday Nights” and Euless Boss simply can’t stand it. So he resorts to the only thing he understands- violence- starting a gang war with the adverse team’s county. A war he is not assured to win.

Meanwhile Roberta starts taking names and kicking asses, intent as she is to free Craw County from this bunch of “Redneck Deliverance Motherfuckers” – God, I love that line.

As you can see, things are not cooling off down there in Alabama.
Steven
Bloody, brutal, and completely bludgeoning. Better tighten your chin strap before you delve into this one!

Read straight through from beginning to end. Literally couldn't put it down until I was done
Scott Lee
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it
I honestly thought I was reading the last issues of the whole series right up until the last few pages. Through the first half of this volume--perhaps the first two-thirds--we get a gang war between Coach Boss and a "business" rival from a neighboring county. As that story happens in the forefront, everybody that has reason to turn on Boss seems to be working up the guts to do so, and it all comes to a head in the last third of the book. I don't buy the ending, and I was disappointed in how ...more
Zedsdead
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things finally come to a head: Roberta Tubbs begins working her way up the goon chain to unmask Coach Boss; Deacon Boone hears the vengeful call of the Holy Spirit; Burt Reynolds' White Lightning character is introduced as a neighbor-county rival and foil for Boss; and county officials enact a plan to take Boss down.

Imogene
Well, after all the darkness, and human frailty, and stupidity, and seeing poor Earl Tubbs fail,
Here comes Roberta. And she is badass. Dang girl, I’m actually leaving one of these arcs feeling hopeful
Robert
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
A series that is spinning its wheels. Some might refer to it as layered or nuanced, I just see repetitive and uninspired. It needs to end soon, or radically change.
47Time
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
This is another great addition to the story. Too bad the series doesn't feel like it's over. While Coach Boss takes a major hit at the end, he is not out of the game. He gets his archenemy who isn't going away and will take great joy in watching him fall.

The homecoming loss hits Craw County hard. It's believedunlikely that Coach Boss will be able to motivate the team for a win this season. His job is also hanging in the balance along with his control over Craw County. Several figures in town are
Drown Hollum
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Worth the wait. Pound for pound the best comic on shelves. I don't want to say much more, just be reading Southern Bastards.
Kyle Berk
Southern Bastards is so good. God every volume just hits it out of the park. It’s my favorite independent title being produced along with Saga.

It’s drawn perfectly and it doesn’t hold back, there is no filler here. Great writing.

It’s just good shit cover to cover. And I love it.

Read this volume, read the whole series. I will be.

5 stars.
Karl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I gave this series 5 stars for each of the first 4 Volumes. It’s a gritty, violent and ruthless noir story that is both punishing and uncompromising. Roberta Tubbs brings her Marine Corp fighting skills to the party in an effort to avenge her father’s death and it only serves to open the story up to further carnage. Take note, this is an Eisner winner. Well deserving I might add.
Dakota Morgan
Nov 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Southern Bastards is still a dark and fascinating series, but in this fourth volume it seems like things are getting out of hand. Literally, in the sense that Coach Boss is losing control of his team, and thus, his control over Craw County. Also in the sense that the events in Gut Check are barely believable. Previous volumes showed a dark side to football mania - like, a really dark, murderous side. Gut Check escalates that dark side dramatically, basically featuring a war between rival towns. ...more
Adam Stone
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I don't find comic writers who present racist or homophobic or transphobic or misogynist villains, employing them as an excuse to be able to use problematic language (sure, I drop the "n" word every other page, but it's because the bad guy is a racist, not me) to be edgy or interesting.

One of the reasons I'm enjoying Jason Aaron and Jason Latour's "Southern Bastards" is because the villains are racist problematic shitfaces, but we are shown this mostly through their action rather than their
Bill
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Will I read the next one? Probably because the story is intense and gripping and moves quickly propelled by the profanity-filled dialogue. But the unrelenting nastiness and violence is becoming too much for me. Is there a redeeming value behind it? Is it more than a story of revenge, of one mean son-of-a-bitch one upping another? I don’t know. The dialogue and artwork pair nicely, but are these sharp portrayals of illiterate, good ol’ boy rednecks whose lives revolve around Friday night football ...more
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, comics
Coach Boss's tailspin was marvelous, but the long awaited Roberta Tubb smackdown lacked the drama and umph I'd expected. Plus the fight in the woods, was drawn in such a way as to not really make sense. Also the inclusion of Jason Latour's eulogy for his father might have made sense because of the family nature of this series but it just depressed the hell out of me.

PS I loved the monkey and his Burt Reynolds's doppelganger owner.
John
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another fantastic addition to the series! Took a while to get volume 4, but for understandable circumstances. However long it look, it was well worth the wait, as the story of Coach Boss and the rest of the Craw County Runnin’ Rebs gets deeper and more gritty by the page.

I hope this series never ends!
Robert Davis
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
Earl Tubbs' daughter seeks retribution on the man and the town that murdered her daddy. Will she succeed in her vengeance?

Hell, what do you think!

This series continues to get better with each volume. This is the best one yet.
John
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The unravelling has begun, and it takes a leisurely pace. There is a bit of the old ultraviolence, but this is a comparatively relaxed volume in which a lot of characters decompress (or completely implode) from the violence of the previous volumes. I was expecting an escalation, and I expect that is coming next, but this whole performance of going to war seems a lot less hard-boiled than simply attacking with surprise and overwhelming force. Football is a hell of a game.
Danijel Jedriško
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Southern Bastards" are a wonderful, bloody and deeply psychological story about the dark side of human nature. I loved this volume and the way how it portrayed moral codes, characters and - the last but not the least - revenge.

Wonderful continuation of the great story.
Adan
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was fantastic in its own right, thanks mostly to Roberta Tubbs making her move and Leddy Butterworth making hers, but also because of the inclusion of Latour’s very moving eulogy for his father, who passed away during the making of this comic.
Neil
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Jamie Connolly
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The other three have all been really good but this one makes it all worthwhile. 5 stars. Maybe 4.
Derek
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Unremitting darkness and filth do not an enjoyable story make. Still waiting for some redemptive something somewhere. A lot to like, not much to love.
Tara
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
While I loved “the best damn halftime speech ever,” this book was extremely slow until the last 25 pages or so. Not sure whether or not I’ll continue the series.
Jamie Sigal

• Royal City, Vol. 3: We All Float On
  • Black Hammer, Vol. 2: The Event
  • Royal City, Vol. 2: Sonic Youth
  • Black Science, Vol. 8: Later Than You Think
Jason Aaron grew up in a small town in Alabama. His cousin, Gustav Hasford, who wrote the semi-autobiographical novel The Short-Timers, on which the feature film Full Metal Jacket was based, was a large influence on Aaron. Aaron decided he wanted to write comics as a child, and though his father was skeptical when Aaron informed him of this aspiration, his mother took Aaron to drug stores, where ...more

Southern Bastards (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man