Start by marking “The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I” as Want to Read:
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I

The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5: Imperial Phase, Part I

(The Wicked + The Divine #5)

The gods are free to do whatever they want. Inevitably, they do. Collects issues 23-28 of the series, including the critically lauded Kevin Wada magazine issue.
Published June 7th 2017 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 5

Chad
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
The first issue is a lifestyle magazine featuring interviews with a half dozen or so of the gods. Interesting concept but it was all just boring and vapid. I felt like I wasted my time even bothering to read it. Then we start to move on and the Great darkness is set up as the big bad. But then that flounders because the gods basically quit giving a shit, the story is all over the map, and all of the characters become less and less likable. At this point, the art is really the only reason I even ...more
Lauren
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, 2017
It's like watching a television show that you really enjoyed in the beginning but now it's the fifth season and you have no idea what's going on but you stick with it because you're in too deep and you want to find out what happens and see it through to the end.
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z2017, graphic-novels
3.5.

I thought this volume was a little slow and boring but I enjoyed it overall.

The first issue deviates from the usual comic's structure and it's told in a magazine format. There are articles about some of the gods where the gods do photoshoots and give interviews and there's also advertisements where the gods endorse products like phones and cologne. On the one hand, I liked it because it was something different, the pictures were absolutely stunning, I thought it was done very well because
Connor
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I’m a large fan of the series so far. I really loved the inclusion of the other writers as interviewers at the very beginning. That was cool. As the story has gone on though, I've found that I'm not as invested as I was at the beginning of the series. It seems that it's going to be very messy plot-wise going forward, but I'm hoping I'm wrong.
Calista
Another good volume. The first chapter is bazaar. It is like a newspaper or magazine interview for several of the characters including Lucy. It also didn't seem to do much for the story either.

You can tell they don't have a leader and they are simply spinning out into chaos. The art is the same style continued as previous volumes. There are some bloody and mature scenes in this.

I think I am ready for an end to this. I hope they have a good one in mind. It needs to have a direction now. I feel l
Rachel (Kalanadi)
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, 2017-releases
The story is so much clearer now than in the first few volumes.
Macarena Yannelli
Nunca decepcionan estos tipos.
Jeannette Nikolova
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

Well... this was not good. Considering that WicDiv has had ups and downs before, I hope that it will still get better. However, what I see is that the story is getting closer to its end and I feel that the writers are getting tired. Even the characters seem to have exhausted their fun potential and are becoming more and more unpleasant.

The Great Darkness plot is generally worthy of a main story-line, but unfortunately, it seems to be relying entirely to
Francesca Zappia
I need a TV show, stat
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Goes in depth into each God's perspective. The extra art is genius and a new battle to fight! Awesomeness
Lily
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

I've been going on a bit of a graphic novel/comic reading binge, if you couldn't tell. I'm in the middle of writing my thesis and my eyes have reached a point where they can't tolerate anything with too many words. Hence why I've ignored my currently reading pile to pick up a comic which, a year ago, I thought I'd never read.

My history with The Wicked + The Divine: I was intrigued by the first two volumes, I really did not enjoy Volume 3 and only picked up Volume 4 because a friend to
Logan
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent. Jamie McKelvie's art honestly never gets boring, its just so amazing to look at! Story wise this was fine, its "Imperial Phase Part 1", the 'Part 1' meaning not really much happens in this one, it just lays ground work for Part 2 where the real story will happen. Never liked the Part 1 & 2 thing in books or movies. This isn't as filler bad as Vol 3, but its not as good as vol 1, 2 or 4.
Rod Brown
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
I don't understand the pacing of this series. Just when it seems things are picking up, everything comes screeching to a halt. The longer it goes on the less I understand what's going on and the less I care about any of the characters. It certainly looks nice though.
Holly
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
I think I might like the art more than the storyline.
Maddie
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. So fucking cool.
Kat Hulu
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The magazine issue was a slog. The dialogue in this series has never been particularly strong, but at least it was sparse--primarily moderately-clever quips punctuating all the flashy spectacle. That doesn't carry a wall of text, let alone a full issue of them. At least the art was good.

Unfortunately it didn't get much better after that. The whole point of this volume is that the godkids are squandering their final(?) days in an ugly melange of hedonism and nihilism, which is not nearly as fun t
Cale
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Be prepared for a lot of reading - the first collected issue is a lifestyle magazine in the world of the Wicked + the Divine, so heavy interviews with several of the gods. It's an interesting approach and definitely provides more insights than you would get from a regular issue, but it is a lot of text. The rest of the collection focuses on the group as they try to recover from the events of the last volume, and determine where they should go moving forward. The sense of time passing becomes a m ...more
Agnė
Although I liked the idea behind the first issue in this volume, which features magazine-style articles about some of the gods interviewed by real-life journalists, the interviews themselves weren't that interesting to me and I was eager to go back to the usual comic book format. However, the information in the articles somewhat helped me to remember and to better understand the characters and events in the previous four volumes, so I can't complain too much :)

The rest of the volume is great. It
Sesana
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
A definite improvement over the previous volume, particularly with the deepening mystery of exactly what Ananke's goals were. The experimental issue that takes the form of a celebrity news magazine is interesting, particularly because the interviews were about as real as an interview with a fictional character can be, but I'm glad it was a one off thing.
Amylee (The Book Lagoon)
This volume was a bit slow compared to the others, but I love this series so much that I don't care!
Marie the Librarian
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Well I understand nothing and I need vol 6 now!
But this is so good and confusing and full of twist and gooosh I just love it.
Devann
I absolutely love this series in theory but when I read I feel like it's just all over the place. The more I read the fewer characters I actually like, and the ones that I do like seem to get almost no page time. Oh well, at least Persephone is front and center! Also if they think I'm going to start feeling sad for Woden they are sadly mistaken. In general I feel like this series just keeps piling on more and more mysteries and we never actually get any answers to ANYTHING. I just want to know w ...more
Neil (or bleed)
Uneventful. Quite boring.
Heather
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting, but I think before I read the next volume I'll need to reread the others. Too much time elapsed so there are things I didn't remember for this one.
Chloe
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Just a quick warning to say that this review contains spoilers for The Wicked + The Divine: Rising Action!

I really love The Wicked + The Divine series of graphic novels, so I was incredibly eager to read Imperial Phase Part I to see where the plot is going, after the dramatic events of the previous volume.

After the Pantheon showdown that the series had ultimately been building to in the previous volume, along with the murder of Ananke, the gods are now incredibly divided. With no leader, the Pan
Matt Raymond
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
If there was ever any doubt that WicDiv had reached the climax of its story in the last volume, then The Imperial Phase Part 1 should make everyone aware. The climax that was in the previous book, (view spoiler), leads to what I can only assume is the falling action. Not because it’s bringing its story toward an endgame, but spiraling within its own philosophical meditations.

Gillen and McKelvie are indeed very inventive, and they keep the title fresh b
Michael
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, reviewed
I've really enjoyed this series by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie, but this wasn't my favourite volume. The first issue was heavily stylised and laid out as a celebrity gossip magazine, and while I thought this suited the world of WicDiv quite well, I really didn't enjoy reading it. The rest of the issues dealt with the aftermath of the previous volume (view spoiler) and hinted at the conflict to come.

Overall, I still enjoyed
Chihoe Ho
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Volume 4 was a high point in The Wicked + The Divine series so it was going to be hard for everything that came after. Volume 5 picks up the pieces of the aftermath of the epic showdown of what seems like the first arc of The Adventures of Earthly Gods Who Have No Clue WTF They Are Doing. (Not a) Spoiler Alert: they still don't.

It's much slower paced which is sort of a bummer after having had successive explosive volumes. What really stood out in this volume was the presentation format: magazine
Alex Sarll
Form follows context, as the blockbuster comic shows its surviving protagonists on top of the world – pretty much literally given the enormous flat in the Shard. (view spoiler) But increasingly I enjoy WicDiv less for the plot than for the interactions of its ...more
Sam Wescott
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Phew. That was a lot.

So, I didn't love the interview segments at the beginning. I'm not sure why... They were interesting perspectives and gave the reader useful new info, but I caught myself repeatedly skimming through them, rushing to get to the "real" story.

The rest of the volume was good. The characters are all unraveling and the plot is getting super messy without Ananke, but it still works, somehow. I'm excited to see what they do (although, I am super done with the "let's hurt everyone'
  • East of West, Vol. 7
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 6: Sink or Swim
  • Pretty Deadly, Vol. 2: The Bear
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 3 (Paper Girls, #3)
  • Clean Room, Vol. 2: Exile
  • Sex Criminals, Vol. 4: Fourgy!
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Low, Vol. 4: Outer Aspects of Inner Attitudes
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • Morning Glories, Vol. 6: Demerits
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

The Wicked + The Divine (9 books)
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 2: Fandemonium
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 3: Commercial Suicide
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 4: Rising Action
  • The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 6: Imperial Phase, Part 2
  • The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 7: Mothering Invention
  • The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 8: Old Is the New New
  • The Wicked + the Divine, Vol. 9
“The only great darkness I'm good at fighting is the one inside all of us. I'd like to light a fire inside everyone that can burn forever” 5 likes
“Empires are born. Empires reach their peak. Empires die. Death is never pretty. (...) Is it that the good die young, or is it simply that the old turn bad and mad?” 2 likes