Start by marking “A Colorful Way of Living: How to Be More, Create More, Do More the Vera Bradley Way” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  102 ratings  ·  24 reviews

From the co-founder of the Vera Bradley empire, a practical and inspiring book that shows women how to awaken their full potential, at any age.

"This place could use some color!" That's what Barbara Bradley said to her friend Pat during an airport layover. It was 1982 and all the women could see was a succession of drab, bulky suitcases. When they returned home to Indiana,

Published April 4th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about A Colorful Way of Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Colorful Way of Living

Jaret
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting this book to be more about the roots of the Vera Bradley company. It ended up being more about the business philosophy of the company. Since this isn't my industry, that didn't appeal to me much. However, the way the story was written made it enjoyable to read. The anecdotes were honest and heartfelt. That kept me reading along until the end even though it was not necessarily my area of interest. I also liked seeing all the pretty pattern pages used to decorate the book. That's w ...more
Linda
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is, as I said in my earlier comment, a lovely book. In so many ways.
You would expect this to be beautifully designed, and it is. It is full of splashes of pages of color, lovely patterns, and pull quotes in lovely fonts. It has lovely cartouches on the chapter headings, and great drop caps. But if you think Vera Bradley is a fluffy brand made for old women, and that the woman who started it has nothing to offer you, think again.
More than just a business guide, more than just an uplifting od
Beth
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library because it sounded interesting. I've never owned a Vera Bradley bag or paid much attention to the company which is known for its paisley and other brightly patterned quilted bags and purses. The book is written by the co-founder. She and a friend started the company in the 1980s with $500 each making the bags in their homes - they had no idea it would become so successful. (Previously they ran a small wallpapering business together in Fort Wayne, IN.) The book is ...more
Karen
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you are in need of positive input to your life or simply an uplifting book, this may be the one.
The book is interesting in detailing the birth of the Vera Bradley Company while drawing out many life lessons and questions to ask yourself. The book itself is very colorful with many pages backed in Vera Bradley designs. Those just made the book more fun to read. I thoroughly enjoyed being entertained by someone who lives life so positively. A very good read.
Kira
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky to get this book in a giveaway, it is so pretty and of such a good quality!
Each page reveals a new beautiful pattern from Vera Bradley designs.
I like how it is written - simply but smart, personal stories are incorporated into encouraging messages. And mostly - it all makes sense. A pleasure to read.
Ann
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
An upbeat autobiography of one of the founders of Vera Bradley industry - I will never look at a Vera bag with the same eyes ever again. I have always liked the colorful bags but never owned one until this year!! Loved her story of the beginnings of this business with an idea of two women friends and then taking action with a borrowed $500!
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I randomly picked it off the "Top Picks" shelf at the library because I liked the cover, and had no idea what it was about, and was then very pleasantly surprised. The author organized the book very nicely and it was a quick read because her stories are so funny and inspiring.
Mary
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although I don't carry Vera Bradley products, I do like to see them. I think the philosophies espoused in this book about dealing with employees, vendors and even one's self are excellent. I hope I was able to do such when I had my store.
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never purchased a Vera Bradley item in my life, but this book caught my eye on the library shelf. So glad I checked it out. Easy to read, funny anecdotes, and simple advice - be nice, do the right thing, don't be afraid to make mistakes, and have fun!
Susan Waltman
It wasn't what I expected. I expected it to be more about how Vera Bradley was started and how it came to be what it was today. Instead it's about treating your employees like family and giving your 3,000 employees a $50.00 bill for their birthdays.
Kerri
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice light read on the business and life philosophy of the co-founder of Vera Bradley. Packaged beautifully, just like her products, this book showcases the values, beliefs and highlights of her life. Makes me want to work for a company like this!
Connie Weiss
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved every single page of this book!
Trish
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, nonfiction
This is a great book. The author is a very positive person.
Susan
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
great reminder to make life colorful and rewarding and positive
Taylor
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read
I really adored this book! Barb's voice is just so wonderful and this book was both fun and helpful. Glad to be a Vera girl!
Megan
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the insight into VB corporate culture. But wasn't that interested in her going on about husband.

Wrote a lot of notes and quotes from the book.
Laura Luzzi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
An uplifting success story. A bit unrealistic for the average Joe. I already read this book my dear Goodreads. Your right, the book is a 2. Shameful.
Olga Estopinan
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed her book, and learining about her life. I have always liked her stoes and merchandise, I love colorful fabrics. So it was nice to read how it all came about. I am also a business major and have a family so it was exciting to read about it. How two ladies stared this small business out of the basement for fun, and at that time not even trying to becoming a major corporation. Amazing. It is a quick read. I also love to see so many of my favorite prints in the book.
Tree
May 03, 2017
Manintheboat
Apr 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Oh! It's the other Vera. I hadn't heard of this one. But it is nice story.
Amber
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-books
Inspiring book for sparking your creativity and bringing it to a whole new level!
Carrie