Start by marking “Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance” as Want to Read:
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  8,791 ratings  ·  1,706 reviews
Orphaned, raised by wolves, and the proud owner of a horned pig named Merlin, Weylyn Grey knew he wasn’t like other people. But when he single-handedly stopped that tornado on a stormy Christmas day in Oklahoma, he realized just how different he actually was.

That tornado was the first of many strange events that seem to follow Weylyn from town to town, although he doesn’t
Published November 14th 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance, please sign up.
Olga Miret For me, the idea of magic realism is when something "magical" or out of the ordinary and beyond our understanding happens but it is set up in a world…moreFor me, the idea of magic realism is when something "magical" or out of the ordinary and beyond our understanding happens but it is set up in a world that is pretty much like ours (not a world where magic is the standard, where fairies, ogres, etc, are the norm). If people are surprised by what he does is because that is not what normally happens and nobody else can do it. I always think about the Central and South American novels (like A Hundred Years of Solitude) where although very strange things happened, the society the characters lived in was a good reflection of the society of the time, although the magic realism of those authors was more symbolic and critical than many of the books classed under that term nowadays, I think. (less)

·  8,791 ratings  ·  1,706 reviews

Kristin (KC) - Traveling Sister
*4.5 Stars!*

Beautifully written with tons of magic and heart!

This story was a warm hug and made me want to step out into nature and embrace all its magic and natural wonders.

From the second we meet Weylyn we can tell he’s different, but his distinct peculiarities are what make him special. He can somehow summon the power to alter weather conditions and has the unique ability to communicate with animals. Having lost his parents at a young age, Weylyn ended up being raised by wolves and has a pot
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
🌲 5 Extraordinary Magical Stars for Ruth Emmie Lang's Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance 🐺

I LOVED this book so much! I stayed up late, reading into the wee hours because I couldn't bear to put the book down. I was saddened to turn the final page and find that I was done. I will genuinely miss these characters and the whimsical, magical world contained within the pages of this extraordinary story.

This is not my typical kind of read and I'm so grateful that I opted to join in with a group re
karen
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
”Why do you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Take something beautiful and vandalize it with skepticism?”

first of all, a million gratitudes to st. martins for sending me a copy of this book. it was on my radar as “looks like my kind of thing,” but i’ve been trying not to buy hardcovers, especially hardcovers by authors new to me, until wealth finds me, so when they offered this unto me, i was all a-squeal.

i knew i would like it, but i didn’t expect to like it this much.

it is in fact SO MUCH “my kind of thing”
Larry H
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
4.5 stars.

One of the factors that helps transform a very good novel into a great one is memorable characters. And while I've read a lot of books this year and over the last several years that featured characters I couldn't quite get out of my mind, it's rare to find a character as special, as incredible as Weylyn Grey, the main character in Ruth Emmie Lang's terrific Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance .

"Weylyn doesn't quite fit into the world we're familiar with," Daddy said, choosing his wor
Diane S ☔
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Meet Weylen Grey. Orphsned at the age of four, taken in by a wolf pack, loves nature in all it's permutations, needs to feel free, and has strange talents and beliefs. One day, he meets a young girl named Mary, and his life begins to change. Where this story will take him he doesn't know, but he is soon going to find out. This is Weylens story but also the story of all those he touches, and let's into his life

I loved this story, the strangeness, the uniqueness. Sounds trite to say it struck a c
Norma * Traveling Sister
4.5 Stars!

This was a Traveling Friends read that I almost missed participating in as I didn’t have myself a copy of this book but after popping into the first goal thread I knew that I had to rectify that immediately. The words magic, whimsical, and mysterious are definitely elements that I am attracted to so on my way to Amazon I went.

BEASTS OF EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCE by RUTH EMMIE LANG is an engaging, charming, heartwarming, and a mesmerizing tale that gave me such a warm and serene feeling
Susanne  Strong
5 Glorious, Heartfelt, Happy and Truly Magical Stars.

Oh, how wonderful it is to read one final book in the year 2017 and have it be Ruth Emmie Lang’s “Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance.” I loved this magical and altogether whimsical book with every fiber of my being and every breath that escapes me. My cup runneth over!

Wevlyn Grey is a boy who is raised like no other. By wolves. He even calls one ma. His parents died in a snow storm, their car crashing and thereafter, he lived in the woods.
Hannah
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, fantasy
This is - again - one of those books I was sure I would love but didn't. I enjoyed reading it but I just thought I would adore it. On paper it has everything I look for in books: whimsy, fairy-talesque writing, quirky characters with a human core, with a story spanning decades but something didn't quite click for me.

This is Weylyn's story - an orphan raised by wolves, able to control the weather and speak with animals, a gentle soul with a heart of gold. This is also the story of the people whos
Hannah Greendale
Dec 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Weylyn Grey is an orphan boy raised by wolves whose talents include howling at the moon and controlling the weather. As a boy, his unique abilities are unwieldy; the same is true once he reaches adulthood. Startled by the strength and unpredictability of his power to manipulate nature, Weylyn abandons the woman he loves – fearful she’ll suffer unintentional harm in his presence – and wanders from town to town, touching the lives of everyone who crosses his path.

The Beasts of Extraordinary Circu
Karen
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 magical stars to this story of Weylen Grey, who’s parents died when he was young, and he lived with wolves.
This is the story of the people he engaged with during his life, and the magic that occurred simply by his being... This story touched my heart!!!❤❤

Forgot to mention...,this is also a love story!!
JanB
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 shining stars and a place on my 2017 favorites list!

Every once in a while you come across a character in a book that grabs your heart and just won’t let go. For me, Weylyn is that character. Weylyn has made a lasting impression not only on everyone he meets in the pages of this novel, he’s made a lasting impression on me.

What a perfect book to read at the end of a fantastic reading year. I read this as a buddy read with Susanne, which was a fantastic way to enjoy and discuss this wonderful b
PorshaJo
I wanted something light, whimsical, and I wanted magical realism. I wanted to clear my mind from a WW2 book and as I read through my massive TBR pile, this one jumped out at me. I mean, the title alone can draw you in. So I grabbed the audio and started it immediately.

Weylyn Grey is a young child whose parents died and he is raised by and lives with wolves. But he's different. Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance tells the entire life story of Weylyn Grey and it's told through the eyes many peo
Dana
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 magical stars ⭐ ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance reads almost like a fairy tale. It is magical and whimsical story about boy named Weylyn who was orphaned at an early age and raised by a pack of wolves. He has magical powers which make it difficult for him to fit into the world. He is such a lovable character.

The book is narrated by multiple characters, each telling a story of Weylyn crossing paths in their lives; weaving together the life of Weylyn Grey.

It is a beautiful, charming st
Ann Marie (Lit·Wit·Wine·Dine)
My name is Weylen Grey, and I'm near-sighted, allergic to ragweed, and my feet are flat. I can't cast spells, I don't grant wishes, and I'm not sure if I can turn a frog into a prince, but I have no intention of finding out. Some people like to think I can affect the weather, but I'd still recommend a a good, old-fashioned umbrella for keeping the rain off. It's also been said that I can talk to animals, but if you want me to teach your dog to speak English, I'm sorry. You're out of luck."

The m
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)

Weylyn Grey is an utterly delightful protagonist: it is very hard not to fall in love with him.

We meet Weylyn when he is ten year’s old and living among a pack of wolves. He is certainly different from everyone else in this regard, but he also can control the weather – like extreme weather – but doesn’t realize it. (Oh and animals also love him, kind of like Dr. Doolittle but not in an over the top silly way, but one that works within this book). As he grows older and becomes more aware of his e
Nikki
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 simply darling stars!

I will get straight to the point-- I adored this book. As soon as I finished, I wanted to give it a big five-star hug.

Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance is the story of Weylyn Grey and the people he encounters throughout his interesting life. Weylyn is a unique and special character, leaving quite a lasting impression on the lives of everyone around him.

This is a light, fun read full of adventure and *possibilities*. With likable characters that will make you smile, t
Eryn
3.5/5

First Impression(s)
At first, I thought this novel was going to be four stars—it’s well-written and unique; but it started slowing down towards the middle/end, and (strangely) I wanted it to end already, which is never a good sign for a book-lover.

Plot
There was a lot going on with the plot. From all the sub-plots to the main-plot, there was never a dull moment. So this was a good thing; I never felt bored. I also enjoyed how even though there were multiple sub-plots, the main storyline follo
Karen
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an enchanting debut by author Ruth Emmie Lang. LOVED following the path of Weylyn, a unique boy raised by wolves, a mesmerizing character who touches the lives of numerous people. His character drew me in from the get-go. His rawness and honesty, the magical things that happen on the unexpected journey and the charge in atmosphere whenever he is around made me believe. I wanted to travel into the woods with him. Thanks to St. Martin's Press for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Tudor Vlad
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance follows the life of Weylyn Grey, from childhood through adulthood and beyond. It’s a powerful story filled with kindness, love and magic. A story about how one person can influence the lives of so many. I can’t even begin to describe how much I loved Weylyn, he is so selfless that it hurts. It’s tragic and beautiful at the same time, every time you see him helping people you can’t help but feel good, but at the same time you realize that the one person that n ...more
Sara
Nov 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

There are hints of many classic novels in this, including The Wizard of Oz and The Chronicles of Prydain series, with its depiction of a plucky young hero and a trusted sidekick. But Weylyn is slightly different from these characters, as Weylyn can control the weather. And bring plants back to life. And talk to animals. From the moment he was born, sprinkling the doctor with snow, he's been special. After the accidental death of his
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher/author after I requested it as a Goodreads Giveaway.

I wasn't sure what I would think about this book because I don't always like fantastical elements but I found it charming and well-written, with several characters living unusual lives. A boy named Weylyn who lived with wolves, friends Mary and Lydia who influence his life in different moments, and a special pig who might have the ability to control the weather.

I liked the changing perspectives
Purple Country Girl (Sandy)

I won a copy of Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance in a Goodreads Giveaway.

4.5

A boy is born and when he takes his first breath, snow begins to fall. It’s not a delicate snowfall but more like a sudden, blinding blizzard. The infant open his eyes, looks around and when he closes his eyes to rest, the snow stops and melts immediately. What’s even more strange about this unexpected and brief snow storm? It’s the end of June.

This is our introduction to Weylyn Grey.

Weylyn is one of the most uniqu
MissBecka
Re-read for C-town book club:
Even sweeter the second time. And I was right...it is better when uninterrupted by adulthood!
I loved getting reacquainted with all the characters (especially Weylyn).
This is such a beautifully written story and the author's passion for her characters leaps off the pages.
Read this book if you enjoy well written stories that give you feels!!!

Original review:
***********ARC FROM A GIVEAWAY***********

I immediately fell in love with this book!!!
The story, the characters,
Sandra Deaconu
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eu nu am un gen literar preferat, dar am un subiect preferat: viața în sălbăticie. Astfel de cărți mă fac să mă simt mai liberă. Apoi mă gândesc, dacă e nevoie de acel ,,mai'', libertatea aceea nu este adevărată, nu? Pentru că libertatea pură, la fel ca fericirea, apare doar în deplinătatea ei. Weylyn a trecut peste semantică și m-a făcut să simt că orice se poate întâmpla. M-a ajutat să înțeleg că sălbăticia se află în fiecare dintre noi, că orice om are nevoie de magie și vrea să creadă în ea, ...more
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

This was such a magical story. I don't read a whole lot of magical realism but it seems that I love them when I do read them. I am not sure that this book would work for every reader since there are a whole lot of strange occurrences but it worked well for me and I am so happy that I decided to pick it up.

This book tells the story of Weylyn Grey. We don't learn his story from Weylyn. Instead, we learn about him in different points in
Book of the Month
Weather Or Not
By Judge Steph Opitz
This wonderful, whimsical, warm-hearted novel is filled with subtle and not-so-subtle nods to the books I loved as a child. White Fang, The Jungle Book, The Wizard of Oz, Charlotte’s Web, and even Lord of the Rings—they’re all in there. Reading Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance made me I realize that there’s nothing better than a novel that feels both new and familiar at the same time.

Beasts follows the lovable Weylen Grey, a lone wolf (pun intended), whose l
Ghanda
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Nu m-am putut opri din citit, e o carte atât de caldă și luminoasă, cu oameni buni și frumoși care încearcă să accepte în rândurile lor un băiat deosebit. Weylyn e o persoană minunată, sincer până la extrem și care își caută un loc într-o societate pe care nu o înțelege întru totul.

Extraordinar scrisă, cu niște personaje pe care nu poți să nu le iubești. O recomand cu drag oricui vrea să citească o poveste frumoasă despre un om magic.

Am scris mai multe detalii în recenzia mea de pe bl
Kaora
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance attracted me as soon as I saw the beautiful cover. Although the beginning was a little bit slow, it was beautifully written and reminded me slightly of The Bear and the Nightingale, with its exploration of love, loss and family.

It was a short read, but thoroughly enjoyable and is definitely perfect for cuddling up next to a fire with a blanket as you explore the magic that is Weylyn Grey.
Monica Kim: Reader in Emerald City
I wasn't doing magic, but I was in it, surrounded on all sides by incredible, beautiful things. It made me feel like a wizard even though I wasn't one, even though I never could be one. — Ruth Emmie Lang, Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance
Ruth Emmie Lang’s “Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstance” is an extraordinary, beautifully written debut novel about adventure, love, courage, nature, and wonder! I give this novel a solid five stars, it’s perfection. Choosing best books of second-half of 20
Justine
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read, audiobook
A lovely character driven story, with a nice mix of literary fiction and light magical realism. Nothing too depressing except for one particularly sad event early in the story, so it's good choice if you're in the mood for something on the lighter side.

I've been called magic, but I wouldn't use that term exactly. I like to think of myself as always being in the right place at the right time, or the wrong place at the wrong time. Very rarely am I simply in an acceptable place at a generally conve
  • The Philosopher's Flight
  • A Million Junes
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Equus (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
  • The Anomaly
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • What Should Be Wild
  • Black Feathers (Black Dawn, #1)
  • The Brotherhood of the Wheel (Brotherhood of the Wheel, #1)
  • Lazy-Ass Cats: A Coloring Book for Adults
  • The Bedlam Stacks
  • Rainbirds
  • Emerald Magic: Great Tales of Irish Fantasy
  • The Sisters of the Winter Wood
  • In the Country of the Young
  • The Many Selves of Katherine North
Ruth Emmie Lang was born in Glasgow, Scotland and has the red hair to prove it. When she was four years old, she immigrated to Ohio where she has lived for the last 29 years. She has since lost her Scottish accent, but still has the hair.

Her first novel, BEASTS OF EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCE, was a finalist for the 2017 Book of the Year Award from Book of the Month Club, and was a Target Book Club
“Why do you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Take something beautiful and vandalize it with skepticism?”
17 likes
“The silence in the house was painful, but I had begun to realize that half of it belonged to me.” 9 likes