Start by marking “Accidental Brothers: The Story of Twins Exchanged at Birth and the Power of Nature and Nurture” as Want to Read:

The riveting story of two sets of twins separated at birth and improbably reunited as adults, a dream case for exploring nature vs. nurture.

Accidental Brothers tells the unique story of two sets of identical Colombian twin brothers who discovered at age 25 that they were mistakenly raised as fraternal twins--when they were not even biological brothers. Due to an oversight
Published April 17th 2018 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Accidental Brothers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accidental Brothers

Start your review of Accidental Brothers: The Story of Twins Exchanged at Birth and the Power of Nature and Nurture
Jayne
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was ok
This wa s a 2.5
Received this ARC from Westwinds Bookshop, Duxbury, MA.
An fascinating true story, set in Colombia. Whilst the events themselves are very interesting I felt the author was padding her story with infomaton about other separated twins. Could have been a shorter, tighter book. However, the bare bones facts about twins were informative .
Stephanie
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
I was so excited about this book. Two sets of twin brothers, two boys were accidentally swapped and grew up in two totally different types of homes - country life versus city life. A lifetime later they would discover the truth. Nurture vs. Nature is sure to shine through..

The story seemed extremely interesting and it seemed when I read the Preface that the author really knew her stuff. I expected there to be a thorough analysis of the boys' lives in regards to nurture vs. nature. I didn't even
Lorette
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a fascinating and respectfully done piece of work that explores two sets of brothers in Colombia, in which two babies from two sets of identical twins are accidentally switched at birth. The brothers and respective families come to find out about the switch when the "boys" are in their mid twenty's. It is a nature/nurture/epigenetic model (country mouse/city mouse too) researchers dream about - but the social worker and psychologist who wrote this book, the other layers are also attended ...more
Kayo
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
While this was a very fascinating book, it was very hard to read. I had to look back quite a bit and figure out which twin went with each. It made the book not very fun to read, and more of a chore. I was impressed with all the research that went into the book. The twin phenomena is quite something.
Thank you to author, St. Martin's Press, and Netgalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Kay
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I find this subject matter interesting but this book was hard to follow .
Sandra
Fascinating story of switched-at-birth identical twins -- with a twist. In this case, two sets of identical twins were switched, so that two families ended up with one biological child and one "accidental twin." William and Carlos were switched (so that the baby named Carlos became William and vice-versa, but that can get too confusing!), ending up with a William-Wilber pair and a Jorge-Carlos pair.

Of course, the story of these four alone, as well as their families, is pretty much endlessly
Cynthia
This was a brilliant case study of identical twins who were switched at birth with another set of identical twins, one from each set becoming an "accidental" sibling, one being raised with the family of origin, and other fascinating configurations. The 4 boys grew up in Colombia. The author is a twin and an academic who has researched and written about identical twin switches previous to this one, but finds this to be the most fascinating of the ones she has covered before.

Because the author is
Sheri S.
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fascinating book about two pairs of identical twins where one twin from each pair was switched at birth. One set of twins comes from the countryside in Columbia and the other set is from a larger city. The book tells their stories and how discovery of the switch was made. The author/researcher goes to Columbia and meets with the four young men and conducts interviews and psychological testing with the goal or learning more about nature versus nurture.
The book contains interesting
Mary
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I gave this book four stars because the subject matter was fascinating. However, it was somewhat difficult to follow and I had to refer back constantly to the one page with pictures of the people involved in order to keep track of who was who. That may have been the nature of the story. More photos would have been helpful. I thought that Segal did a fairly good job of explaining some complicated material about heredity and gene expression. She also had a great deal of empathy for her subjects ...more
Jill
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fascinating account of two babies switched shortly after birth in Columbia. The two sets of twins were thought to be fraternal because they didn't really look alike...but it turns out they were really identical twins. One family lived in the country, the other in Bogata. It was discovered entirely by accident when the country brothers moved to Bogata and one was seen by a young woman who knew his biological twin. It took over a year for the woman and her friend to figure it out and for all ...more
Angela
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved the subject matter but hated the writing. Probably a third or more of this book could have been cut out. It was extremely repetitive. I took to skipping parts that I had already read multiple times but also trying not to miss new information. A good bit of it was boring because of this. This story could have been portrayed as emotional and exciting but turned out almost clinical and not showing much of the emotion although they tried. Some of the information was mixed up as well, ...more
In
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
This has a fascinating topic---two sets of identical twins born at the same time in the same place . One baby from each pair ended up switched and sent home to live as part of a set of fraternal twins. Twenty five years later a chance discovery by a friend, unites all 4 men and their families. This all happened in Columbia. Unfortunately the editor did not find all the repetition. Tidbits were written about over and over again. Entire phrases/sentences popped up again and again. It was really ...more
Francine Rattner
Nov 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
This is the first time I felt compelled to write a negative review on Goodreads. The subject of the book sounded very interesting to me. Unfortunately, after trying to read it 3 or 4 times, I gave up today. The writing is very repetitious and often hard to follow. Unrelated material is inserted which adds to the confusion. Perhaps there will be more thorough editing done before a second edition is published.
Rebecca
Jun 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
I am really interested in the topic of this book, but was disappointed with its execution. The author clearly knows her stuff, but the narrative jumps around, both in timeline and in which set of twins she is writing about. There seemed to be no reason behind these jumps, resulting in a muddled mess. Segal would have better served her audience by making different chapters about the different twin sets. Or chronological within the main story of the primary set of twins. Or more editing.
Robert Saul
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating book chronically the story of two sets of identical twins separated at birth and raised as fraternal twins. They discovered this situation in their 20s and Dr. Segal (a psychologist with a career in studying twin behavior) provides an interesting look at this situation. An enjoyable read.
The facts of the story of two brothers, each half of a pair of identical twins, switched at birth and raised in very different environments is fascinating. This would have made a good article. There was not enough information for a full book, so other twin stories were stuck in awkwardly, which made the book hard to follow.

I received an ARC from NetGalley.
Sue
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
The circumstances of the twin mix-up and subsequent serendipitous recognition that they were twins are interesting. I found the author's style of hopping around her knowledge of twin studies rather disorienting.
Harriett Gamer
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Switched Twins Switched Names?

If they were named by their parents before they were switched don't they have the wrong names?

Fascinating story that could have been a major tragedy.
Cheryl
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
The subject matter was fascinating, but the way it is told is jumbled and confusing. The editor was too lenient, so much of the material is redundant, reminding the reader over and over of what is already known.
Jerri
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story, but not the best writing.
Rhonda Lomazow
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fascinating look at twins from Colombia switched at birth the concept of nature vs.nurture.Well written very interesting read.
Christine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Stacy
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this book informative and interesting. Thank you to the author, St.Martin press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book
Karen
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating tale. Mlm

Fascinating tale. Truly one of the most interesting books I've read in recent memory.
Maria
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Did not finish. Found it repetitive and not much new light on the nature v. nurture issue. Maybe if I read it all, there would have been more information.
Libby
Woodseli
Jun 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Off Balance
  • The End of the Perfect 10: The Making and Breaking of Gymnastics' Top Score—from Nadia to Now
  • The Girls: An All-American Town, a Predatory Doctor, and the Untold Story of the Gymnasts Who Brought Him Down
  • Don't You Ever: My Mother and Her Secret Son
  • Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters
  • Inheritance: A Memoir of Genealogy, Paternity, and Love
  • I Should Have Honor: A Memoir of Hope and Pride in Pakistan
  • Indianapolis: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man
  • Dark Matter and the Dinosaurs: The Astounding Interconnectedness of the Universe
  • Ticker: The Quest to Create an Artificial Heart
  • The Glassblower of Murano
  • A Hot Glue Gun Mess: Funny Stories, Pretty DIY Projects
  • Scarcity: Why Having Too Little Means So Much
  • Clementine: The Life of Mrs. Winston Churchill
  • The Midnight Assassin: Panic, Scandal, and the Hunt for America's First Serial Killer
  • No Way Home: A Memoir of Life on the Run
  • The Simple Faith of Mr. Rogers: Spiritual Insights from the World's Most Beloved Neighbor
  • Inseparable: The Original Siamese Twins and Their Rendezvous with American History
I am a Psychology Professor at California State University, Fullerton, with a special interest in twin studies--I am a fraternal twin myself! I have always been fascinated with the differences between my sister and myself, as well as the similarities and differences between identical twins. My career has been informative, and so much fun! And I am very excited about my recent books.

When I am not