Start by marking “The Beautiful Ones” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Ones

The Beautiful Ones

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  3,065 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Mexican Gothic comes a sweeping romance with a dash of magic.

They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and this spring is Nina’s chance to join their ranks, courtesy of her well-connected cousin and his calculating wife. But the Grand Season has just begun, and already Nina’s debut has gone disastrously aw
Published October 24th 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Ones, please sign up.
Silvia Moreno-Garcia I emailed a general query asking what happened to the copies and a link to the question on Goodreads. I know stuff went out before and it may have bee…moreI emailed a general query asking what happened to the copies and a link to the question on Goodreads. I know stuff went out before and it may have been the summer slog and people being away in August which caused problems. But I am not sure. The person who was handling review copies is back on Monday so I hope something but is done shortly after that. Thanks. (less)

·  3,065 ratings  ·  1,072 reviews

Start your review of The Beautiful Ones
Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Aug 09, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, romance, historical
Note: For people who only know me for Mexican Gothic, I should warn you all my books tend to straddle different genres and have a very different feel for one another. This is very much a novel of manners and a romance, much closer in tone to Gods of Jade and Shadow than some of my other work and very far from Mexican Gothic.

April 2021: New edition is out!

Feb 2021: First chapter online: https://www.torforgeblog.com/2021/02/...

December 2020:Review copies via Netgalley

November 2020: Updated descr
Paromjit
This is the first novel I have read by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, a slow burn of a beautifully written, character driven historical romantic drama with a small element of the fantastical, emulating the likes of Jane Austen, set in the fictional city of Losail in the early 20th century. The young and naive Antonina 'Nina' Beaulieu, loves insects such as beetles and butterflies, has the gift of telekinesis, a source of shame for her family, a gift she is unable to control but which comes to the fore wh ...more
megs_bookrack
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

The Beautiful Ones surprised me with the smoothness of the narrative. Moreno-Garcia's writing style is so fluid and engaging.

The romance was subtle and delicate, yet still intriguing. While reading, I kept thinking of how much it reminded me of a magical version of Thackeray's, Vanity Fair!

The atmosphere is thick with old-world, upper-class traditions and excesses; easily transporting the reader to the streets and parties of the fictional city of Loisail.

I was utterly s
Gary
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s The Beautiful Ones offers readers a kaleidoscope of nostalgic trimmings – a splash of Austen, a dash or two of the Bronte Sisters, with an early modernist garnish. Set in a fantasy (alt history?) version of post-industrial France but dealing mainly with an aristocratic class resembling the landed gentry of the British, the novel’s plot centers around a nouveau riche entertainer, Hector Auvray, who returns home after many years abroad to rekindle an old flame, by way of the ...more
Miranda
Jan 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, arcs
Happy release day!

I received an eARC via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I can confidently say that I think Silvia Moreno-Garcia is one of the best writers ever. Her style and ability to craft a narrative is unmatched in my opinion. After reading and loving Gods of Jade and Shadow, I have slowly been making my way through the rest of her books. When I saw this one was up on NetGalley, I could not pass up the chance.

The Beautiful Ones was originally published in 2017, but it is gettin
Robin
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, love
↠ 4 stars

When I say I would throw any current read out the window to read an impending release by Silvia Moreno-Garcia, I mean it. Antonina Beaulieu is a fish out of water, sent to the city of Loisail to stay with her cousin and his wife as she prepares for her first grand season where she will hopefully find a husband. Unfortunately she's been dropped straight into a world she is both ill prepared and ill fitted for. Drawn to Hector Auvray, a performer who shares in the same telekinetic abiliti
Nilufer Ozmekik
I love Silvia Moreno Garcia’s books! I really do! If I had a chance to give Gods of Jade and Shadow or Mexican Gothic ten shiny stars I would do it instantly!

When I read the blurb which excited me about its paranormal vibes ( since I’ve read Carrie when I was 13, my special interest about telekinesis has been growing for years) and romance parts made me intrigued!

But... this book’s genre is closer to historical telenovella. Most of the book is about love triangle. My favorite heroine Nina wa
Éimhear (A Little Haze)
I’ve been fortunate enough to read both ‘Mexican Gothic’ and ‘Gods of Jade and Shadow’, other books by Moreno-Garcia, through NetGalley and adored them. Both got a five star rating from me and I actually bought physical copies for my bookshelves because I loved them so much. So when I was invited to read ‘The Beautiful Ones’, a re-issuing of an earlier work of hers, I immediately jumped at the opportunity.

And I’m so glad I did because once again I have fallen completely in love with a book by M
Carrie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Antonina "Nina" Beaulieu has arrived in the city of Loisail for her first Grand Season with the hopes of finding the love of her life to marry. She's been sent to live with Valérie Beaulieu who will oversee Nina as she attends balls and mingles among the high society. Nina coming from wealth should have no problem finding a husband with one exception, she has telekinetic powers that she hasn't been able to control leaving her the subject of gossip.

When Nina meets Hector Auvray who happens to be
Amalia Gkavea
DNF 40%
I really, really wanted to love this one. I adored Gods of Jade and Sorrow, and I thought I'd enjoy The Beautiful Ones too, but the abominable, insufferable character of Valerie and the love troubles and woes didn't actually help. It is with great sorrow that I give up on it. I just can't bring myself to turn the pages and read further. I hope I'll have better luck with Mexican Gothic.

Many thanks to Tor Books and NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Carolyn
Set in an imagined world inspired by La Belle Epoque, this is a beautiful slow burning story of a love scorned and a love found. Not so much a fantasy, this story of beauty and manners could be set in early 20th century Europe with the aristocrats creating a beautiful world of balls and wealth and scorning those who have made money but are not from the landed families. There is a slight magical element to the story with the two main characters possessing telekinetic ability, which is acceptable ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/10/29/...

I’ve often been asked for advice from friends who are interested in giving audiobooks a try, but are worried that they might have trouble getting into them. In response, I always say that starting with a good book and a good narrator is key, but also important is finding a story well-suited to the format. While it’s true some books simply work best in prose form, there are also plenty of times where I’ve come across audiob
K.J. Charles
There is a literary niche which is 'Austenish comedy of manners but with fantasy' (Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw, for one) and this is in it. It's basically a romance between an older man and a young woman from a wealthy family, both of them on the edge of 'the best society' and manipulated by her cousin, his ex lover. The fantasy element is that they are both telekinetics, which is regarded as a bit of a low habit by the best people. Comedy of manners is not my thing at all, and I kind of felt I w ...more
TheBookSmugglers
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was lovely and reader, I hugged this book at the end (I might also have read the ending a few times)
Jul 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF 50%. Soap operas are, at their most basic, stories about emotionally compromised people making shitty decisions. I'm not categorically opposed to this, but I went into The Beautiful Ones thinking it would be a fantasy of manners set in an alternate Belle Epoque, and what I got was the very soapiest of soaps.

Ten years ago, Valerie Veries was secretly engaged to penniless telekinetic performer Hector Auvray. Under pressure from her family, she married a wealthy man of society instead. Now the
Emma
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is versatile! The previous book of hers I read was a very original vampire story. It was so good that I kept an eye out for what she wrote next. I had to wait a long time for the gap between the hard cover release and it’s kindle release of this book, but it was so worth the wait! This is the love child of The Age of Innocence and The Illusionist. I was in the edge of my seat from about 60% wondering how it would turn out. I feared the worst and hoped for the best. Recommended.
Dannii Elle
The Beautiful Ones are Losail's wealthiest and most elite social figures. They are the ones of old money, notable names, and good breeding. Anyone outside of their circles might wear the same clothing labels or dine in the same establishments but they will always lack that certain something that allows them into the inner-circle.

Country girl, Nina, might also come from wealth, but she cares little for the pomp and fakery of city life. She is determined to make a good impression, if only for her
BAM Endlessly Booked
Netgalley # 11

Many thanks go to Silvia Moreno-Garcia, St. Martin Press, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

The Beautiful Ones have the money, the class, the position in society. Valerie is one; Nina should be if she weren't such a country bumpkin; Hector not so much but he may have enough money made from his telekinesis act to fit in. But Hector loves Valerie and Nina loves Hector. SOAP OPERA! This was one long soap opera. I felt like I was watching t
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: Latinx coded cast

Galley provided by publisher

In all honesty, I don’t think it’s possible for Silvia Moreno Garcia to write a bad book. I’ve read four of hers now, and each and every one of them has been brilliant. What gets me most is the way she’s consistently brilliant across genres, and nowhere is that clearer to me (so far at least) then The Beautiful Ones.

The book follows Hector and Nina, two individuals who have the power of telekinesis. Nina has lived
Lisa
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-release
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/1...

After reading and loving Certain Dark Things, I had no doubt I would read whatever Moreno-Garcia published next. That turned out to be The Beautiful Ones. Just from the synopsis I could tell it would be incredibly different from the vampire underground world created in Certain Dark Things, but I have to confess, I was hoping to still find a bit of that darkness in The Beautiful Ones. Well, I can’t say I found this to be dark l
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Beautiful Ones
Series: Standalone
Author: Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Release date: October 24, 2017
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

There are some books you pick up and they immediately engross you, capturing your interest without pause. You flip through uncontrollably, pushed by a need to discover what's around the next corner until the very last page.

This is not one of those.

This is the kind with long (and boy, do I mean long) periods of waiting for something to happen.
sarah
"Nothing matters more than money to us, the Beautiful Ones who walk down these streets in pristine gloves and silk-lined garments. You can give yourself the luxury of love because you are not one of us. That is why you are my friend: because despite everything, at heart you remain an innocent."

The Beautiful Ones was released in 2017, but it is getting republished with a brand new (gorgeous!) cover this year. Like I am beginning to learn is common with all Silvia Moreno-Garcia books, this novel
Marieke du Pré
This story is strangely compelling and all because of the writing. It’s actually a very simple love story based on a love triangle. And still, the writing pulled me in and didn’t let go. It’s smooth and really beautiful!

When I started reading this story, I didn’t know that it had already been published three years ago, this being a new edition. I wondered about all those reviews, and now I finally understand ... So, I’ve been reading an ARC of a three-year-old book 😂. I requested the ARC because
Wendi Lee
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
*4.5 stars*

*I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Wow! This book was not at all what I expected. There was a lot more romance than magic (both Hector and Nina are telekinetics). It reminded me of reading a Edith Wharton book with a bit of magic mixed in, complete with naive protagonists, scheming cousin-in-laws (the vicious Valerie) and bumbling suitors. The writing is beautiful, and although the pacing was sometimes slow, I was 100% invested in these characters.

Vale
Laurie  |  LOHF
The Beautiful Ones is a historical romance with a wee little side of magic. I’m a fan of both but not so much a huge fan of the dreaded love triangle, if I’m being honest here, but it’s been a while since I’ve read one and these characters both engaged and enraged and never bored me so I’m likely going to be more forgiving here than if I’d just read a bunch of them.

It’s a story set in historical times amidst the wealthy, the supposedly well-mannered, and the super snooty. I believe it takes plac
ilovebooksokae
Seeing Gaeton finally stand up to his fucking viper of a wife was ... so gratifying I did a dance in happiness I fingered my book and was laughing jsut about as unhinged as his wife is.

I love Nina, as I love all of SMGs main characters. But I also love Hector, and how romantic and soft yet how distinctly different this is from Gods of Jade and Shadow. SMG is easily an auto buy author I love this story 😭 I love her brain and thank god for the publishing gods for republishing this.

Second read: 10
Lady H
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn, I knew I was right to be excited about this book. It wasn't what I expected at all, but I was utterly enchanted, like, reading-on-the-subway-with-a-stupid-smile-on-my-face enchanted. I actually read half of this book in one day, reading into the night, so enamored I was. Moreno-Garcia has created captivating, vibrant characters in a novel written with grace and elegance.

Immediately upon beginning this book, I felt like I was reading a Jane Austen novel (well...I've only ever read a single
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, St. Martin's, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've heard great things about Silvia Moreno-Garcia, certain great things about her book Certain Dark Things (see what I did there???). I haven't had a chance yet to read it, though I did buy it earlier this year to read, but when I saw this on Netgalley, I had to give it a shot. Telekinesis talked about as if it's relatively normal in this world? Sounds fun to me.

Well,
rose ✨
Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“a sea roared inside her and made demands, but she waded it, she bobbed up, took a breath, and opened her eyes to the cold winter morning. then she rose because the day was there, the world was there, and she wanted to be part of it.”

the beautiful ones was my first silvia moreno-garcia novel, but it definitely won’t be my last. it feels like a period drama in the best way possible: full of drama, scandal, and romance. the writing is so lyrical—almost delicate—and the combination of telekines
Taryn
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read 160 books last year, which was a record number for me since going back to full-time work a few years ago. While it felt like an achievement, upon reflection I realized my satisfaction with my reading life wasn’t any higher than the years when I read fewer books. In fact, the breakneck pace and the pressure to finish my current book in order to move on to the next sucked the joy out of the whole thing. It felt like an empty victory.

I don’t necessarily do New Year’s resolutions, but Januar

• For the Wolf (Wilderwood, #1)
  • The Ones We're Meant to Find
  • In the Ravenous Dark
  • The Wolf and the Woodsman
  • She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor, #1)
  • Ariadne
  • Sorrowland
  • Too Good to Be Real
  • Black Water Sister
  • The Death of Jane Lawrence
  • A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn, #1)
  • The Light of the Midnight Stars
  • Folklorn
  • All the Murmuring Bones
  • Nothing But Blackened Teeth
  • Illusionary (Hollow Crown, #2)
  • Snowflake
  • The Stolen Kingdom
See top shelves…
Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of several novels, including Mexican Gothic, Gods of Jade and Shadow and Untamed Shore. She has also edited a number of anthologies, including the World Fantasy Award-winning She Walks in Shadows (a.k.a. Cthulhu's Daughters). Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination. ...more