Start by marking “The Beautiful Ones” as Want to Read:
The Beautiful Ones

The Beautiful Ones

A young woman finding her way
It is Antonina Beaulieu's first Grand Season in the elegant city of Loisail. A chance to take her place in high society, to find a suitable husband, and to leave her checkered past behind. Because Antonina possesses telekinetic powers, powers she can't control, that have made her the subject of cruel gossip.

A gentleman with a secret
Famed teleki
Published October 24th 2017 by Thomas Dunne Books

To ask other readers questions about The Beautiful Ones, please sign up.
Silvia Moreno-Garcia I emailed a general query asking what happened to the copies and a link to the question on Goodreads. I know stuff went out before and it may have bee…moreI emailed a general query asking what happened to the copies and a link to the question on Goodreads. I know stuff went out before and it may have been the summer slog and people being away in August which caused problems. But I am not sure. The person who was handling review copies is back on Monday so I hope something but is done shortly after that. Thanks. (less)

Start your review of The Beautiful Ones
Candace Robinson
This book was beautiful! It does have a slow pace and very character driven, but I was never bored at all. I kept wanting to turn each page! There is heartbreak and moments where I wanted to slap a certain character. Hector... Hector... Hector... I wanted to shake you so much in the beginning, but I still love you. The atmosphere was breathtaking and the prose was awesome! Also, loved Antonina's love of insects! Review on my blog https://literarydust.wordpress.com/20... ...more
megs_bookrack
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs-read
**3.5-stars rounded up**

The Beautiful Ones surprised me with the smoothness of the text. The writing style is so fluid and engaging.

The romance was subtle and delicate yet still intriguing. While reading, I kept thinking of how much it reminded me of a magical version of Thackeray's, Vanity Fair!

The atmosphere is thick with 'old-world' upper-class traditions and excesses; easily transporting the reader to the streets and parties of Loisail.

The main characters were just quirky enough, full of
Gary
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s The Beautiful Ones offers readers a kaleidoscope of nostalgic trimmings – a splash of Austen, a dash or two of the Bronte Sisters, with an early modernist garnish. Set in a fantasy (alt history?) version of post-industrial France but dealing mainly with an aristocratic class resembling the landed gentry of the British, the novel’s plot centers around a nouveau riche entertainer, Hector Auvray, who returns home after many years abroad to rekindle an old flame, by way of the ...more
Carrie
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Antonina "Nina" Beaulieu has arrived in the city of Loisail for her first Grand Season with the hopes of finding the love of her life to marry. She's been sent to live with Valérie Beaulieu who will oversee Nina as she attends balls and mingles among the high society. Nina coming from wealth should have no problem finding a husband with one exception, she has telekinetic powers that she hasn't been able to control leaving her the subject of gossip.

When Nina meets Hector Auvray who happens to be
Carolyn
Set in an imagined world inspired by La Belle Epoque, this is a beautiful slow burning story of a love scorned and a love found. Not so much a fantasy, this story of beauty and manners could be set in early 20th century Europe with the aristocrats creating a beautiful world of balls and wealth and scorning those who have made money but are not from the landed families. There is a slight magical element to the story with the two main characters possessing telekinetic ability, which is acceptable ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/10/29/...

I’ve often been asked for advice from friends who are interested in giving audiobooks a try, but are worried that they might have trouble getting into them. In response, I always say that starting with a good book and a good narrator is key, but also important is finding a story well-suited to the format. While it’s true some books simply work best in prose form, there are also plenty of times where I’ve come across audiob
TheBookSmugglers
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was lovely and reader, I hugged this book at the end (I might also have read the ending a few times)
Christie«SHBBblogger»

Title: The Beautiful Ones
Series: Standalone
Author: Silvia Moreno-Garcia
Release date: October 24, 2017
Cliffhanger: No
HEA(view spoiler)

There are some books you pick up and they immediately engross you, capturing your interest without pause. You flip through uncontrollably, pushed by a need to discover what's around the next corner until the very last page.

This is not one of those.

This is the kind with long (and boy, do I mean long) periods of waiting for something to happen.
Lisa
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-release
Review from Tenacious Reader: http://www.tenaciousreader.com/2017/1...

After reading and loving Certain Dark Things, I had no doubt I would read whatever Moreno-Garcia published next. That turned out to be The Beautiful Ones. Just from the synopsis I could tell it would be incredibly different from the vampire underground world created in Certain Dark Things, but I have to confess, I was hoping to still find a bit of that darkness in The Beautiful Ones. Well, I can’t say I found this to be dark l
Emma
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is versatile! The previous book of hers I read was a very original vampire story. It was so good that I kept an eye out for what she wrote next. I had to wait a long time for the gap between the hard cover release and it’s kindle release of this book, but it was so worth the wait! This is the love child of The Age of Innocence and The Illusionist. I was in the edge of my seat from about 60% wondering how it would turn out. I feared the worst and hoped for the best. Recommended.
Wendi Lee
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
*4.5 stars*

*I received a copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

Wow! This book was not at all what I expected. There was a lot more romance than magic (both Hector and Nina are telekinetics). It reminded me of reading a Edith Wharton book with a bit of magic mixed in, complete with naive protagonists, scheming cousin-in-laws (the vicious Valerie) and bumbling suitors. The writing is beautiful, and although the pacing was sometimes slow, I was 100% invested in these characters.

Vale
Steven
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher, St. Martin's, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've heard great things about Silvia Moreno-Garcia, certain great things about her book Certain Dark Things (see what I did there???). I haven't had a chance yet to read it, though I did buy it earlier this year to read, but when I saw this on Netgalley, I had to give it a shot. Telekinesis talked about as if it's relatively normal in this world? Sounds fun to me.

Well,
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Netgalley # 11

Many thanks go to Silvia Moreno-Garcia, St. Martin Press, and Netgalley for the free copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.

The Beautiful Ones have the money, the class, the position in society. Valerie is one; Nina should be if she weren't such a country bumpkin; Hector not so much but he may have enough money made from his telekinesis act to fit in. But Hector loves Valerie and Nina loves Hector. SOAP OPERA! This was one long soap opera. I felt like I was watching t
Taryn
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read 160 books last year, which was a record number for me since going back to full-time work a few years ago. While it felt like an achievement, upon reflection I realized my satisfaction with my reading life wasn’t any higher than the years when I read fewer books. In fact, the breakneck pace and the pressure to finish my current book in order to move on to the next sucked the joy out of the whole thing. It felt like an empty victory.

I don’t necessarily do New Year’s resolutions, but Januar
emma
DNF @ 30%.

There's really nothing wrong with this book, but it's just not what I expected and not what I need right now. I went into this expecting an exciting paranormal/historical story (based on what I'd read in the blurb), but from what I've read so far it's really more of an old-fashioned historical romance. It's well-written, and the characters' schemes have the potential to get really interesting. It's definitely pretty slow-paced, though, and there are other books I want to focus on to tr
Lady H
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn, I knew I was right to be excited about this book. It wasn't what I expected at all, but I was utterly enchanted, like, reading-on-the-subway-with-a-stupid-smile-on-my-face enchanted. I actually read half of this book in one day, reading into the night, so enamored I was. Moreno-Garcia has created captivating, vibrant characters in a novel written with grace and elegance.

Immediately upon beginning this book, I felt like I was reading a Jane Austen novel (well...I've only ever read a single
Meigan
A tale of lost loves, newfound loves (and beetles!), The Beautiful Ones is definitely on my top 10 list of favorites for 2017.

In a city ruled by manners and etiquette, country girl Nina doesn't quite fit in with the elite and Beautiful Ones of Loisail. Sent to the city to partake in the balls of the Grand Season in hopes of finding a husband, Nina knows that she's not like everyone else. She'd rather be catching butterflies on her family's country estate, or studying beetles, or reading books,
wishforagiraffe
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, net-galley
This is very much a romance first and fantasy second, which was just what I needed when I read it. Because of that, I also flew through the book. I connected well with the characters, even the really despicable ones, and felt that they all were well developed, not one dimensional. That said, it was also a bit predictable, but I enjoyed it anyway.

The magical elements were good, but honestly could have been any other quirk that two people share, and the secondary world was just a Europe analogue
Sherwood Smith
The world-building is a tad peculiar in this alt-universe romance with a late-Victorian, fin-de-siecle feel: we've got countries we've never heard of, but our main setting is Loisal, in which everyone has French names. The Beautiful Ones are the beau monde of course, into which Antonina Beaulieu is being launched, largely against her will, as she is a country girl and has trouble fitting into the social scene.

Her situation is not helped by her cousin's wife Violette, ostensibly launching her, wh
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Okay, so to start with Ii'm going to say that this is not a bad book. It isn't. Silvia's writing is actually beautiful, and I would definitely try to read another one of her books. But this is just one of those books that just didn't work for me.
The Beautiful Ones is not a plot-based book. To be honest, there are only two main things I can name that happen. This book has three main characters; Nina (who is a complete sweetheart that I just wanted to wrap up in cotton wool), Hector (who was an a
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

THE BEAUTIFUL ONES is a sweeping historical romance with a dash of paranormal added in that feels almost incidental. Typically for this blog we review books that are a bit heavier on the paranormal/magic or even science fiction. While I enjoyed the plot (albeit a tad slow), the writing, and characters; I was left wondering what the real point of having characters with telekinesis in the story was. That factor lessened my full enjoyment as I kept thinkin
Kira

I have mixed feelings about this. It wasn't face paced, but I didn't want to stop reading either. The writing was good enough that I still liked it despite being aggravated at some of the things going on. The first half was so good. I wanted to know what would happen next because it was obvious whatever goal Hector was trying to achieve was going to blow up in his face. Nina was so innocent. I felt bad for her. I didn't like what Hector was doing, but I understood it.

Things changed abo
Emily
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5-4 stars

This was a really fun bit of historical fiction with a bit of fantasy. The fantasy element is light--this takes place in a fictional world that is reminiscent of France during the Belle Epoch, and several characters have telekinetic abilities, but that's the extent of fantastical elements.

Really, this reads like a period romance. The first half was a bit slow, and I had some difficulty getting into it. However, by the time I got about halfway through I couldn't put this down! I found
Tessa
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley for my honest review.

I went into this book thinking I was going to get an angsty, historical PNR. NOPE. This is instead a historical romance with a hint of paranormal. In fact, the telekinesis, which I was looking forward to, was barely spoken of. It didn't really lend itself to creating a whole new land for a belle epoque type world.

So, barring that, the book was okay. It did have some angst, though honestly some of it was rather over the top. T
imyril
I don't like romance novels. I find the adherence to tropes tiresome. I prefer romantic subplots, emotional nuances filling out and adding context to some other matter.

...but I liked this one, in the end. It took a while to win me over - I spent much of the first half frustrated - but I have consumed the second half in an afternoon, twisting and yelling and ultimately wiping a little tear from my eye.

It's melodramatic, it's theatrical, but it's rather satisfying. Nina is the jewel here, easy to
The Captain
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys!  This be me third book by the author and me third five star read.  What I find amazing about all of the author's books is that they feel so different from each other.  The first was a vampire story with stunning vampire culture and history.  The second was a Mayan fairy-tale set during the Jazz age in Mexico.  And this book was a romance with a hint of fantasy set in the Belle Époque era.

Now I don't normally do romance but I be determined to read all of this author's novels
Donna
Silvia Moreno-Garcia has written a splendid novel. I have not read any of her books before, but am so glad that I won this ARC copy of The Beautiful Ones from Good Reads.

It is a romantic, magical story of Antonina Beaulieu and Hector Auvray. Both are telekinetics only Hector makes his living by performing telekinetics for the public.

This is truly a story of love lost and love found with the right touch of magic.

I just really, really loved this book. It's kind of similar to a Jane Austen type no
Bogi Takács
This was really cool, more probably soon IY"H, I want to have a full-length review. I'm still working though.

Some people said it was slow? IDK the last third was so suspenseful I stayed up to finish and chewed up my fingers. It's just that the plot focuses on social interactions - it's a belle époque fantasy romance.

Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library (who ordered it on my request, thank you!)
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
I sure have been bailing on a lot of books lately! But this one was only a random pick from my library so I had something to read on my break.

This is the 2nd book by this author I've tried and I had the same experience twice: the book sounds really cool but it just doesn't grab me. The other one I tried on audio and I thought it was the narrator I didn't like but I think now it's just this author's style or voice that doesn't do it for me.
Jacqie
Thanks to Netgalley for providing a copy of this book for review.

This is a soap opera and I wasn't in the mood for it. The characters felt like stock characters. There's the icy blond sophisticated beauty Valerie. There's her past love Hector, newly returned to town after having made his fortune only to find Valerie married to a wealthy and dull socially prominent man. And there's dark unconventionally beautiful naive Nina who has come from the countryside to be "finished" socially by Valerie an

• Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The Lord I Left (The Secrets of Charlotte Street, #3)
  • Raybearer (Raybearer Series #1)
  • What Happened at Midnight
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 3 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 3] (The Apothecary Diaries, #3)
  • 薬屋のひとりごと [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto] (The Apothecary Diaries, #1)
  • 薬屋のひとりごと 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Nekokurage], #1)
  • 薬屋のひとりごと~猫猫の後宮謎解き手帳~ 1 [Kusuriya no Hitorigoto: Maomao no Koukyuu Nazotoki Techou 1] (The Apothecary Diaries [Minoji KURATA], #1)
  • Valley of the Moon
  • At the Mountains of Madness
  • Whiteout (Survival Instincts, #1)
  • The Age of Witches
  • His Face All Red
  • The True Queen (Sorcerer Royal, #2)
  • This Boy
  • Torn (The Unraveled Kingdom, #1)
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Fabulous Beasts
Silvia Moreno-Garcia is the author of several novels, including Gods of Jade and Shadow. She has also edited a number of anthologies, including the World Fantasy Award-winning She Walks in Shadows (a.k.a. Cthulhu's Daughters). Mexican by birth, Canadian by inclination.