Start by marking “Secrets of Cavendon (Cavendon Hall, #4)” as Want to Read:
Secrets of Cavendon (Cavendon Hall, #4)

Secrets of Cavendon

(Cavendon Hall #4)

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Barbara Taylor Bradford, comes a striking, breathtaking audiobook saga featuring the aristocratic Inghams and the Swann family, who have loyally served them for generations.

It’s the summer of 1949, and things have run smoothly at Cavendon Hall for years, with very few quarrels, dramas, or upsets between the two families. But since
Published November 21st 2017 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Cavendon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Cavendon

Start your review of Secrets of Cavendon (Cavendon Hall, #4)
Janet
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it
I received an Advance Reader Copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I had read the previous three books in the series but enough is enough. There are too many characters to keep track of, too many wildly different plot lines to keep track of - frankly, I gave up and don't care if Cavendon burns down to the ground with everyone and everything in it. Sorry!
Angie
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
If you’ve read others in the series, definitely make time for this one. More family drama and secrets of the Swann’s & Inghams

Aimee
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this book, but was very disappointed in it. There was not much of a plot or much tension in the story at all. Other than one obvious bad guy everyone was wealthy, loving, and kind to one another. The character that bothered me the most was Eric Swann, the head butler. All he was allowed to do was smile and be right there ready to serve everyone. I understand he was a butler, but he seemed important to the family and I felt that the author could have ...more
Kathy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Enjoyed the previous books in the series but this one seemed to be trying to hard to hold my attention. I gave up.
Sahitya
This is my first review for an ARC received through Netgalley and I was very excited to read the book. I remember reading the author's books a couple of years back and I recollect them as feel good romance novels. I was expecting a similar kind of experience from this book as well.
Even though I haven't read the other books in this series, it was easy to get into the details and figure out most of the characters within the first couple of chapters. Though the story is set immediately after WWII,
Kathy
Nov 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have read and loved Barbara Taylor Bradford for years. So this book took me by surprise and not it a good way. I'm not sure if it was me, this book, or if we've just come to the end of a long friendship, but I just didn't care for this book at all.

There were too many characters to keep track of and most of them, try as they might otherwise, came across as bland and aloof. Their many stories didn't interest me. Everything just seemed forced or fake to me.

Again, this could be all on my
Elena
Mar 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know the conversation you have with a 4 year old at a “tea party”? This whole book was written that way. It was boring and not a single character with anything interesting going on. Gave up half way through.
Unless you’re already seriously invested in this author or storyline, don’t bother.
Linda Zagon
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Review of “Secrets of Cavendon” by Barbara Taylor Bradford, St. Martins Press, November 2017

“Secrets of Cavendon” by Barbara Taylor Bradford is an engaging and entertaining novel. The genres for this book are Fiction, and Women’s Fiction. This is a book that is part of The Cavendon Chronicles( part of a series), but I was able to keep up with the story and characters. This series involves the Inghams and the Swanns, their friendship, and marriages. The blurb says,””The Secrets of Cavendon
Coleen
Oct 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I have not read anything previously by Barbara Taylor Bradford, I am aware that she has written many books and series. This particular book, Secrets of Cavendon, is the fourth in the Cavendon Hall series, and I have not read the first three. That having been admitted, I accepted that there were many names of characters in the book that I did not know -- which I might have known had I read the first three books in the series - or if I had read even ONE of the first three books.

Donna
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love reading Barbara Taylor Bradford's books. She is just a tremendous author.

Cavendon Hall has it's many secrets that's for sure. The Swanns and the Ingrams have very high family values and bonds that keeps the family together and tight-knit. When tragedy strikes, in the death of a beloved aunt due to a con artist trying to incorporate himself into the family, the family just becomes closer.

The Swanns and the Ingrams of Cavendon do all in their power to maintain their status quo in society.

I
Vicky
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
A good historical romance always makes for a good read- and reading the blurb The Secrets of Cavendon, that was exactly was it promised. Packed with everything from romance and the history of the Ingham and Swann families on the Cavendon estate to the realities of being an aristocratic family in the lean times following World War Two, I picked it up with enthusiasm.
What I got back was a mixed bag. Confession: I have never read any of Barbara Taylor Bradford's other Cavendon books, but they cover
R.
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I received Secrets of Cavendon as a Goodreads giveaway. The book was the fourth one in a series. Since I had not read the other three books, it seemed like a lot of characters were being introduced-this may be a challenge for some readers to keep up with. In addition, I found the story did not get interesting until about halfway through the novel.

The author, Barbara Taylor Bradford, did a good job describing the financial woes for the English elite trying to maintain their large country estates,
Marlene
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: public-library
Finally finished. Took a while to get into it. Slow pace. Lots of characters, many I had forgotten about from the preceding installment. last half of book better. I enjoyed the finish. Several loose threads at the end, e.g Security of the Swann records. A new "secret" at the end that will likely be a big part of the next book.
Daniella Bernett
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweeping story of two families bound by loyalty and friendship struggling to adapt to the myriad changes England is undergoing in the years following World War II. A satisfying conclusion to the Cavendon series.
Jane
Thanks to Goodreads and St. Martin's Press for this ARC.

I'm a big fan of her books and have read all but Cavendon Luck which is #3 in this series. I wished I would have read Cavendon Luck. A whole chunk was missing for me and why it's better to read them in order.

I enjoyed this family generational book but it wasn't as good as the first two in my opinion. Not much going on except for a murder.
Adrienne
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Thank you to the lovely Lori at Get Red Pr for sending me Secrets of Cavendon for review! And also to St. Martin's Press for the gorgeous hardcover (you know the way to my heart). There's nothing better than giant hardcover!

I was quite excited to receive this novel since I absolutely obsess over historical fiction novels but was a little apprehensive that since it's from a series, I wouldn't know what was a going on. Fortunately, Bradford revisits story lines and summarizes previous happenings
Debbie
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do so love reading Barbara Taylor Bradford's books. Secrets is great! Leading to another one coming with the new babies!
Beth Welsh
I have read all of the books in the Cavendon series and I really enjoyed 2 of them. The 3rd book in the series, however, I was seriously disappointed in. The writing was terrible. Now I'm on the 4th book, page 64 to be exact and I'm not sure I'm going to keep reading it because it's like reading something a 15 year old wrote. There are constant references to the past in every single conversation. Someone always reminding someone else of what happened with a smile slapped on their face. I also ...more
Mary
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the fourth edition in the Ingham-Swann saga. Cecily Swann Ingham is fighting to save both Cavendon and her couture business. The family has been funneling money into the Hall for years, but it looks like a losing battle. So Cecily uses her business acumen to devise clever ways to increase their income to keep the family home, such as public tours, much to the dismay of her sister-in-law. This alone would be an interesting plot, but then the book veers off to the story of her niece, movie ...more
Lana Poole
Mar 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Can I claim this book as “read” if I threw in the towel 3/4 of the way? Snoozerama from an author I like.
Amanda Angstadt
Originally posted on rightupyouraleigh.wordpress.com

I went through several stages withSecrets of Cavendonby Barbara Taylor Bradford. At first I was a little unsure, but I was excited to read a historical fiction book. Recently I have been really into post-war England, and since this took place in 1949 it was perfect. I probably had too high hopes for this book, and when it fell short I was severely disappointed.

Most of the problems can be explained away by the fact that this is the third book in
Jordan Stivers
Reading this book made me wish that I had read the first three in the series. Not because I was lost though. Bradford does an exquisite job of weaving in the detailed relationship histories between the characters so that I never felt lost. I wish I had read the first three books because I enjoyed this one so much.

Everything is beautiful in this book: the people, the places, the clothes. Anyone who enjoyed the Downton Abbey television series would be enthralled by a book such as this with its
Connie Fischer
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
1949

Cecily Swann Ingham, the Seventh Countess of Mowbray, loves Cavendon Hall but wonders if they will be able to continue to support it. Cecily is married to Miles, the love of her life and the Earl of mowbray. Her brother, Harry, is the estate manager. The first Earl was Humphrey Ingham and he and his friend, James Swann, were business partners. Together, they made Cavendon Hall the glorious place it is today.

Now that the war is over, Cavendon and the entire country is facing loss due to a
Peg
3.5 out of 5 stars

Secrets of Cavendon is the fourth book in the Cavendon Chronicles. This book takes place in England, shortly after WWII. I had some difficulty getting into this book, probably because I hadn’t read the prior three books in the series. Having said that, once I learned the characters well enough, and became involved in the story; the book took off and kept me captivated until the end.

The story begins with Cecily Swann Ingham the seventh Countess of Mowbray, contemplating the
Jenny Cooper
Feb 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
The book is set in Cavendon Hall just after World War II and the estate is in financial difficulties, struggling to survive in the current climate. In addition there is scandal afoot. The aristocratic family are the Inghams but the Swanns have lived on the estate for many generations and their family histories have become firmly entwined. In these times of adversity they need to pull together to save both the estate and their reputations. Think Downton Abbey and you will get the general idea of ...more
Danielle Urban
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Secrets of Cavendon by Barbara Taylor Bradford is an engaging historical read. It's similar to Downton Abbey. A big enormous place that is getting harder to keep up with...and families that have poured their money into keeping it alive. Then, there's the secrets and history that are revealed. Plus, it too is set after the war. I enjoyed reading this novel.

As with all wars, things change. Drastic changes affect the Ingham and the Swann families. Finding ways to manage the finances and ways of
Kristina
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Secrets of Cavendon by Barbara Taylor Bradford is fourth book in Cavendon Chronicles Series. It is June in 1949 at Cavendon Hall. Countess Cecily Swann Ingham is working to make the property profitable and for them to be able to pay the upcoming taxes. Lady Daphne objects to how commercial Cavendon Hall is becoming and decamps with her husband to Switzerland. Lady Cecily must now stay on at Cavendon Hall full time while managing her business, Cecily Swann Couture long-distance which has been ...more
Alina
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've heard of Cavendon Hall series from a fellow reader friend and was looking forward to reading this book. This is the fourth book of Cavendon Hall series, I have not read the previous 3 books. However, this did not prevent me from enjoying the story. Cavendon Hall's history was explained extremely well in the book. And there are so many characters, (oh boy!!), however, the author has given a full description of each person so thoroughly that there is no chance for anyone to confuse them.

Charlotte Lynn
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Secrets of Cavendon is the perfect title for the fourth book in this series. In this book there are so many secrets revealed. As each secret is revealed the story falls together more and more. The reasons for different characters reactions, positions in the family, and reasons for living as they do start to make sense as the readers learn more and more about this amazing family.

I have read the first three books and found that while not necessary it did help to understand that characters
Joyce
This novel continues the story of the families at Cavendon Hall---the Swanns and the Inghams. Unfortunately, so much time has lapsed since I read the the first novel in the series that I couldn't remember some of the significant events of the past involving the family members. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I had. However, I did enjoy the novel primarily because of the new characters the author introduced---Adam Fennell and Christopher Longdon. One of them is a con artist and the other ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Lemon Tree Hotel
  • Before and Again
  • By Invitation Only
  • The Dark Side
  • The Sun Sister (The Seven Sisters, #6)
  • Beach House Reunion (Beach House, #5)
  • Fulfillment
  • Lost and Found
Barbara Taylor Bradford is the author of 30 bestselling novels, including The Cavendon Women, Cavendon Hall, and The Ravenscar Dynasty. She was born in Leeds, England, and from an early age, she was a voracious reader: at age 12, she had already read all of Dickens and the Brontë sisters. By the age of twenty, she was an editor and columnist on Fleet Street. She published her first novel, A Woman ...more

Cavendon Hall (4 books)
  • Cavendon Hall (Cavendon Hall, #1)
  • The Cavendon Women (Cavendon Hall, #2)
  • The Cavendon Luck (Cavendon Hall #3)
“the church; nor had he” 0 likes