Start by marking “Joe Ledger: Unstoppable” as Want to Read:

(Joe Ledger #9.5)

Joe Ledger Fans Rejoice!

Everyone's favorite snarky, dangerous, idealistic, relentless covert operative is back, and this time he's brought friends. Joe Ledger: Unstoppable presents original short stories about Joe Ledger and the Department of Military Sciences by some of New York Times bestseller Jonathan Maberry's "friends in the industry." Buckle up for powerful,
Published October 31st 2017 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Joe Ledger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joe Ledger

Start your review of Joe Ledger: Unstoppable
Paul
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i would never call myself a completist. yet i have been a big fan of Maberry's joe ledger series since Patient Zero. hence reading this was a no-brainer to me. it is a collection of short stories set within the DMS universe. it has stories set between novels, stories that are self contained and even a story from Ledger's dog, ghost's POV. some of the authors were well known to me and were favourites some were unknown bit part of the excitement was reading the lesser known authors' take on Ledger ...more
Cheryl
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is by far one of the best anthologies I have read in a long time. It is packed full of great short stories. There were a lot of authors I was being introduced to the first time. My list of authors and books to check out has now grown after finishing this anthology. Which goes to saying that I am not that familiar with the world of Joe Ledger. Yet, after getting to know him some being featured in so many stories, I want to familiarize myself better with Ledger.

I am excited to see two of my
Patrick
*3 and a half stars*
I enjoyed a few of these stories, but not all. I've read the entire Joe Ledger series, and most of the short stories he's appeared in. In my opinion, a lot of the authors didn't quite get the characters the were writing. But That's just my opinion.
Solid read for Ledger fans.
Tracy
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT!!!!
Tobin Elliott
This isn't a bad collection, and it's often fun.

Having said that, it also feels like kind of an advertisement for a whole bunch of authors. Consider this scenario: Maberry's got a pretty damn good series of books going, and he's both made a lot of friends in the industry that write in, if not the same neighbourhood, at least the same metropolis as him, and he's also a well-known name-dropper. So he comes up with an idea for a collection of Joe Ledger stories by other authors, and hey, while
Colleen
I'm the perfect audience for a collection like this, since I love the DMS books, but this was a lackluster collection. A few I especially disliked (like Black Water)--and take Black Water for example. As much as I like Joe Ledger, I do dislike his woman-in-refrigerator-back story (traumatized by watching his girlfriend get gang raped by 4 guys and later--although years later, after they are both in therapy with Rudy, so the story doesn't even get timeline correct--discovers her body after she ...more
Darcy
I didn't realize this book was an anthology with short stories when I picked it up from the library. What makes it different from so many is that other authors wrote the stories and I'm amazed that I couldn't tell a difference. While most of the stories revolved around Joe, there were others with his team and even one with Ghost. All in all this is a great addition to the series.
Hope Mueller
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Author and publisher approved fan fic. A fun read from beginning to end. Introduced to a host of new authors I must now seek out. I especially liked Black Water and Instinct. One of the reasons I love Joe Ledger is the alternating POV and time slips. This fills that in with new POV from the same characters we know and love. Fun romps with hero's from other series, perfectly executed. Quick introduction, immediate trust, equal, but different supplemental skills.

If you are a Joe Ledger
Edward Taylor
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some hits, some misses but overall a great collection of Joe Ledger (and other members of the DMS) stories. Psych Eval by Larry Correia, Prince of Peace by Jeremy Robinson, & The Honey Pot by Steve Alten are all standouts as well as Atoll by Jonathan Maberry ('natch) but some of the stories, particularly the ones that involve other authors mainstay characters, mostly miss the mark overall.

Worth a read for fans of the DMS (or Rogue Nation) and JM's Joe Ledger stories.
Bina Lyn
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all anthologies - there are some high points and some lows.

Each author introduced some interesting perspectives and ideas.

However - I will honestly say - not all of them worked for me. I do think this book was worth the price and if you enjoy the Joe Ledger stories, you may find that you'll enjoy these.
Wendy Bocock
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tended to like the stories that weren't from Joe's point of view better than others. Only Maberry can write Joe, in my opinion. Liked all the stories, but some a lot better than others. One of my faves was Dana Fredsti's story, where Joe met Ashley Parker. Other faves (besides Maberry's story) were by authors Bryan Thomas Schmidt & G.P. Charles, Aaron Rosenberg, Jon McGoran, Keith R.A. DeCandido, James R. Tuck, Jeremy Robinson, and Jennifer Campbell-Hicks. Found a couple of new authors to ...more
Gautam Surath
An interesting attempt but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. The different perspectives just add no additional value to Joe and some stories are total tangents. The only ones which make sense are the crossover stories. Avoid if you are a hardcore JL fan and even more so if you are not.
A~
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joe Ledger: Unstoppable

This is a collection of short stories set in the world of Joe Ledger, a creation of Jonathan Maberry. For those who don't know Johnathan Maberry is a cop who was recruited by a secret government organization. His new job is to help fight threats that come up from science. His job interview was to kill a terrorist that he had already killed once...yes zombie. Not all of the stories are zombies but all contain products of science gone awry. A word of warning, if you have not
Banshee
Joe Ledger: Unstoppable is a great collection of short stories by numerous authors. Most of the stories feature Joe Ledger as the main character, although a few have secondary characters from Team Echo. I enjoyed every story although I wish there would have been more zombie stories as I love zombie horror novels. I would recommend this novel to all Joe Ledger fans as you won't be disappointed.

The Honey Pot by Steve Alten ★★★
A strange story, even by Ledger standards, where aliens, zombies and
Thomas Allen
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By and large, this is an outstanding achievement by the writers who contributed. I was on the edge of my seat throughout. The writers really did a great job working with the DMS characters that we all know, keeping them true to canon while giving fresh looks into their lives.

We don't just wander with Joe Ledger, either. We get a great chicks-kick-butt story with Lydia and a fun story about off-time with Top, Bunny, and Lydia.

We also get a story in Joe Ledger's days as a uniformed police
Mia Jo Celeste
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done
To be fair I confess Im crazy about the Joe Ledger series and I love, love, love Ray Porter as a narrator, so you can probably guess I enjoyed most of the short stories in the Ledger universetrue. All the stories gave me insights into the personalities I look forward to following most and I was happy to see that all the characters remained spot on to their Maberry-written-originals. Dr. Hu didnt suddenly volunteer at the local soup kitchen and Church didnt reveal a secret past as a stand-up ...more
Heather
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The captain of the destroyer was a friend of a friend, but that didn't make him a friend of mine. In fact, he was pretty frigging unhappy to have me and my team delivered like an unwanted pizza onto his aft deck in the middle of a bad night. The fact that we were pretty damned unhappy to be there made it a real party." -- Atoll by Jonathan Maberry

Thoroughly enjoyed this short story collection starring Joe Ledger and the supporting cast of the DMS. Red Dirt by Mira Grant was a pleasant surprise
Kevin
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm being honest here, I'm totally in the tank for Joe Ledger, ever since picking up Patient Zero on a whim. Now the Ledgerverse has company. Many short story collections, even those by Maberry, are charitably uneven, this is not. From stem to stern it's as solid a collection of writing as I've had the pleasure of reading. Perhaps my glasses are a bit rose colored, but hey, it's my rating.

The other joyful part of this is that not all the stories start Joe. I know, right? But the other members
Emmy
The first time, you saved my life. The second time, you saved my sanity. The third time, you saved the world."

Joe is one of those characters that I'd really like to meet. However, since meeting him would most likely mean that the world is about to end, I'll settle for just reading about him every once in a while.

Oh, and the story Three Times by Jennifer Campbell-Hicks? It made me realize how angry I still am with Maberry for (view spoiler)
Ryan M Pratt
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this. A lot of crossover stories where other writers added joe ledger to their main characters. I found most of the stories highly entertaining especially the one where joe and echo team go to pine deep and mesh with the pine deep series.

I also enjoyed how not all the stories were just about joe ledger. A lot of other echo team members have their own short stories and it fills in some gaps between the joe ledger novels.

I would highly recommend reading through at last the dogs
Megan
I finished this up over the weekend. The audiobook, read by Ray Porter, made for wonderful entertainment. This is an anthology of other authors dipping their toes into the Joe Ledger universe and creating stories based on those characters, amalgamating them with some of their own. I loved 90% of the stories, especially those told from the point of view of other characters aside from Joe. If you are a Ray Porter or Joe Ledger fan, I highly recommend this book. Given the varying, but interesting ...more
Mike Pluta
I am a *HUGE* Joe Ledger fan, but was concerned that there would be a loss of continuity or conflicts of canon in an anthology. I'm pleased to say that my concerns were unfounded (mostly... Mr. Church eating the filing out of an Oreo?)

These stories could be read stand alone as an intro to the Ledger series as well as in addition. They are very well done and serve as an introduction to a long list of great authors.

The absolute best part of the book was the introduction where the intent for a Joe
Vicki Elia
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Want to have your socks knocked off by a compilation of short stories? Regardless of the author, the inimitable Ray Porter breathes life into Joe Ledger and his indefatigable crazy-fighting comrades. This anthology of shorts is spectacular.

Thanks to Jonathan Mayberry for insuring that not only credit but a great bio and references are given for each contributing author. You'll find many recommendations for superb works by the authors, so many that you may never sleep peacefully again. Really.
R.S.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Joe Ledger... than you have to read this book. Having... Sooooooooooooooo many talented writers take turns on creating their own version of Ledger that's the same... but a tiny bit different was a very interesting endeavor to read.

I would love to see how Justin Cronin would write Joe Jedger.

Or Blake Crouch?

As with all Joe Ledger books, it was wonderfully read by Ray Porter.
J. J. Tabor
Nov 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joe-ledger, favorites
I was very apprehensive with Maberry putting my favorite character in the hands of other authors. The result? An anthology that absolutely blew me away. All of our favorite characters are found here and it worked absolutely beautifully. We even get a "Ghost Story" told from his POV. Ray Porter has Joe's voice nailed and goes along way into making everything work so well. Loved it, can't wait for the next installment and maybe Unstoppable 2?
Kat Jenkins
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
This is the most fun I've had with Joe Ledger in awhile. Stories throughout the series timeline, lots of crossovers with other series, lots of action and the classic Joe Ledger snark. There are a few that aren't so great, but for the most part, this is amazing.

I listened to it as an audiobook with the amazing Ray Porter narrating. He truly brings Joe Ledger and all the characters to life.

I'm going to listen to it again, like now.

Treat yourself. This is not to be missed!
John R. Dailey Jr.
THE MAN WITH THE PLAN HE IS.....

Hello, Joe Ledger is one of my favorite characters in all of story land. While I appreciate other authors trying to put their own unique spin on Ledger, there are some things that equate just won't cut. A few of the authors hit nail right on the head but most missed the mark. The one with Agent Franks was my favorite and would make a really cool story. Thanks.
Richard
Jonathan, I have been a Joe Ledger fan since I read patient zero many years ago. I was frothing for more since "Kill Switch".
Well, the stories in this collection are not you. There are undeniably mostly Ledger, but the point of view is wrong. They are like celebrity impersonators doing skits on SNL. Most of the stories would have been benefited from a change in POV from first person (shooter). You might be the only writer able to project the true Ledger.
Still a good read.
Rickthomas
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was very cool to see other authors contribute to the Joe Ledger universe. For long-time fans there are plenty of callbacks, but even the uninitiated will have a great time with these action packed shorts.

Stories are not limited to the perspective of Ledger, in fact my favorite two were from a previously unknown journalist, and a familiar four legged friend.

Highly recommend.

Trever
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of short story collections but this was way better than expected, owing mostly to the familiar audiobook narration of Ray Porter and the semi-connected nature of many of the stories, which made it feel less like a random collection and more like a series of "Day in the Life" tales of the DMS. A few were real clunkers but overall, they were good and several were excellent.
« previous 1 3 next »

• SEAL Team 666 (SEAL Team 666 #1)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Age of Blood (SEAL Team 666 #2)
  • The Monster Hunter Files
  • Terminus (Threshold, #4)
  • Urban Allies: Ten Brand-New Collaborative Stories
  • Nocturnal
  • Plague Town (Ashley Parker, #1)
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Instinct (Chess Team Adventure, #2)
  • Saints (Monster Hunter Memoirs, #3)
  • Infected (Infected, #1)
  • Pandemic (Infected, #3)
  • Predator: If It Bleeds
  • Contagious (Infected, #2)
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Flux
  • The Reef (Galactic Football League Novellas #5)
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Todays Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT

Joe Ledger (10 books)
  • Patient Zero (Joe Ledger, #1)
  • The Dragon Factory (Joe Ledger, #2)
  • The King of Plagues (Joe Ledger, #3)
  • Assassin's Code (Joe Ledger, #4)
  • Extinction Machine (Joe Ledger, #5)
  • Code Zero (Joe Ledger, #6)
  • Predator One (Joe Ledger, #7)
  • Kill Switch (Joe Ledger, #8)
  • Dogs of War (Joe Ledger, #9)
  • Deep Silence (Joe Ledger #10)