Start by marking “Motor Crush, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Motor Crush, Vol. 1

Motor Crush, Vol. 1

(Motor Crush #1-5)

The team behind the critically-acclaimed revamp of Batgirl returns with an exciting sci-fi action-adventure series!
By day, Domino Swift competes for fame & fortune in a worldwide motorcycle racing league. By night, she cracks heads of rival gangs in brutal bike wars to gain possession of a rare, valuable contraband: an engine-boosting "machine narcotic" known as Crush.
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published June 20th 2017 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Motor Crush, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motor Crush, Vol. 1

Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was fun, but it definitely wasn't a new favorite. The plot was a little too all over the place for me to really get a good grasp of what was happening and that really affected my enjoyment. I may carry on with the series eventually because I'm a sucker for anything with queer ladies in it, but I'm not really in any rush to do so.
David Schaafsma
Well, what can I say, I’m not that into motorcycle racing, but this is pretty fun. The same team that just worked on Batgirl--Brenden Fletcher, Babs Tarr and Cameron Stewart--go for a little older audience, with a somewhat edgier storyline. Domino (Dom) Swift (strong, dominant, and fast, get it? Or is it that she will fall like a domino?!) rides in a motorcycle racing league. And races illegally, too. And some nights she gets involved with gang wars to see if she can score some of that engine-bo ...more
Maria (Big City Bookworm)

I think I may have found a new favourite comic series! I liked it so much that I’m thinking that I may have to subscribe to the upcoming new monthly issues on Comixology! This was fast paced and exciting and it left off with a great cliffhanger that makes me NEED to continue reading as soon as the new issues are released!

What I Liked

The kick-ass female lead. I mean, this is always a great feature am I right? Domino Swift not only has a kick ass name, but also a kick ass personality. I loved he
Krista Regester
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hott. Love the art, love the story.
Chad
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
If you liked the recent Batgirl series by the same creative team, you'll enjoy this. Motor Crush is the story of Domino Swift, a motorcycle racer with secrets. By day she races in the pros, at night, she races for a drug called crush in a Mad Max style race. This is where things get confusing. Everyone wants this drug, but when it's force fed to someone their head explodes. The writers establish that Crush is poison so why does everyone want it? But then Domino needs it to live, because she's ac ...more
Alison
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I think I've found a new favorite!!!
Let me clarify this a little because I thought this was about an all-female biker gang (it's not). It's still effin' brilliant though.
This is about a girl who is a racer (officially and also secretly street racer). She is kickass and brutal and I LOVE HER. However, the racing isn't the main subject of this series, it's more of the means of getting things done and continuing the plot. It's more about an illegal substance called "crush" (those awesome little pin
Ashley Brooks
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
So this was really good and beautiful and I'm pretty sure Babs Tarr draws some of the hottest babes in comics so that's also good.
Danika at The Lesbrary
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely intrigued by the world and Domino's character, but Lola made the book for me. Swoon.

Ashleigh 🥀
WHAT. I NEED VOL 2 NOW.
c,
Rep: black lesbian mc, lesbian li

wtf who gave u licence to end that there
Jhosy
*English is not my native language so please forgive any mistakes*

When I saw this comic in amazon I was very excited to have it in my collection. A comic with a black woman that also is lesbian was very tempting for me.
The story is well built and flows very well. At the same time as the story leaves the reader with several questions, it answer some and leaves the promise of a good resolution in the future.
It is interesting to see that although the story is about a black woman who races on her mo
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
notes from re-read may 2018: Domino and Lola are a true otp

I love team Fletcher, Stewart and Tarr so much 😭
I enjoyed this comic a lot. I never thought I was into motorcycle races but here we are. this comic is so much more than that too, and it's going places I wasn't expecting but are definitely into. I want more now!!

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2017/0...
Rory Wilding
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
During DC’s New 52, the monthly Batgirl title underwent a soft reboot following a successful run from Gail Simone, and thus under the creatorship of Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr made a highly energetic comic that is fun for the YA readership. What seems initially born out of a single issue from that run in which Barbara Gordon is battling villainous motorcycling-riding twins under the stylish influence of anime/manga, Motor Crush seems to be a creator-owned love letter to tha ...more
Cheese
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Great artwork, strong characters, bold colours, and it did remind me a lot of speed racer, plus it has a hidden mystery element.

One to definitely watch.
Lydia G
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A cool high speed comic with great artwork and a badass queer protagonist. Can't wait for volume two.
James DeSantis
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
So this started off reallllll strong but slowly I was unsure where it was going. So Domino is a racer who is one of the best around. The story shows off this world where they focus on racing as a main event of this world (I think) and it's in the future so have robots following around the riders doing interviews with them and such. So the world itself is interesting, Domino is interesting, the plot of her trying to win the championship is interesting. We got all this checked off!

Then they intro
Ayca
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm not much of a comic or graphic novel reader but damn, this blow me away. I loved everything about the first 5 parts. Domino has to be one of the most badass and exciting protagonists out there right now. The story is engaging and has some very nice twists and turns. I also loved the artwork. The lesbian love story is a sweet bonus on top of an already great series, I can't wait for more.
Roy
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

That was pretty damned intriguing! Also: I think Domino and Lola make the most adorable couple.

Art style is great, I love how every detail (such as the intros) really throw you into this world. I'll be keeping my eyes open for Volume 2!
B O N E S
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A beautiful new concept that incorporates three of my all time favourite things: Great Aesthetics, High Speed Racing and Lesbians. Motor Crush took every prejudice I ever had against writers of superhero comics and flipped it on its head. Volume 2 can't come quickly enough!
Green.T.
This was so good.

I had no expectations going into this and my ignorance paid off. The characters, the plot, and the art all blew me away.

I know this just came out, but man it deserves way more love than it's getting.

Highly recommend.
mina reads™️
This was really cool. I love that the main character is a sapphic black girl and she’s super badass. The art style and character design were both stunning. Only critique is that the story seemed a bit confused, so much was packed into this volume and I feel like that left me on uneven ground. I just felt like I didn’t have enough time to get a good grasp on the futuristic world or the plot itself. Despite that, what I did understand seemed super awesome and I’m intrigued to see what’s in store f ...more
robinnette
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
If I had to describe this comic book in one sentence, I would say its like Mad Max kind of racing taking place in a Blade Runner-esque universe – but with lesbians. Overall, I really enjoyed this first volume. It's a good setup for the world and characters, even though the pacing is a little bit wonky at times. The art is gorgeous. I have the second volume on my shelf since it came out so I'm ready to continue with this story :)
Jena
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5/5

Very visually pleasing and captivating world. Loved the neon Mad Max vibes. Would’ve been 4 stars but I wasn’t a huge fan of the shift at the end towards aliens and time travel...I wanted to see more on the race.

Will be reading the next volume for sure though.
Dan
Jul 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Nothing special...and honestly the whole bike racing thing was kinda boring.
Natalie Kate
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
duuuuuuuuude this was EVERYTHING holy shit. the coolest, most diverse set of characters with one of the sickest storylines ever. everyone needs to read this, honestly everyone.
Nicole
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Queer lady biker is a story I didn't know I needed but I definitely need more of now. It reminded me of Paper Girls and Steven Universe but more violent/gritty.
Devann
This was absolutely amazing! The only reason it's four stars instead of five is because I rarely give the first volume of a comic five stars since a lot of the time is taken up with introduction and settling everything up. But I expect the next volume in this series to be even better!

I love Domino and it's great to see a black woman as a main character in a comic series. Also [spoiler alert] she's a lesbian and her and her girlfriend are adorable together [although they have their problems like
Su
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the wildest ride of your life! I love this series so much.

Not only does it feature a bad-ass lady lead, but she's Black and queer and she's so cute!!! And it's not ABOUT her being Black, she just is and that is a beautiful and unfortunately very rare thing even today.

All of the characters have so much depth and personality, and nothing is easily settled or wrapped up too quickly or tossed aside. This pacing is perfect and every installment leaves you "crushing" for more! And Tarr's art
Colona Public Library
This is illustrated by one of my favorites Babs Tarr! The artwork, coloring, and layout is amazing ! The story is also great, with Domino being a racer and has a mysterious being following her and her ability to use the power of 'crush' when no one else can. I wish they would explain why 'crush' is valuable to people who don't have the power to directly use it. Maybe just to power source? Kinda has a neon mad max vibe at times and is a quick fun read! ~Ashley

If you liked this, then I would try B

• The Unstoppable Wasp, Vol. 1: Unstoppable!
  • Skyward, Vol. 1: My Low-G Life
  • Mockingbird, Vol. 1: I Can Explain
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Goldie Vance Vol. 1
  • SLAM! Vol. 1
  • The Less Than Epic Adventures of TJ and Amal, Vol. 2: Wanderlust Kings
  • Fresh Romance, Vol. 1
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)
  • Clean Room, Vol. 1: Immaculate Conception
  • Batgirl, Vol. 3: Mindfields
  • Kim & Kim Vol. 1 (Kim & Kim #1-4)
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2 (Lady Killer, #2)
  • Grand Theft Horse
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • Spell on Wheels (Spell on Wheels, #1-5)
  • Prince of Cats
Brenden Fletcher is a writer who's worked on DC Comics titles including the bestselling Batgirl of Burnside, Gotham Academy, and Black Canary.

He contributed the acclaimed Flash story to the Eisner and Harvey Award winning Wednesday Comics and has recently launched a Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Pink series for Boom! Studios.

Motor Crush (7 books)