Start by marking “Destination Simple” as Want to Read:
Destination Simple

Destination Simple

We live life in the fast lane. We race to keep up with the Joneses. We are over-worked, over-connected and over-stressed, and we compete over how busy and important and sleep-deprived we are. But we don't have to.

There's an ever-growing group of people opting out of a life lived at 110%. They are choosing to slow down, simplify, say no and focus on the things that are tru

Published December 23rd 2016 by Anima (first published January 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Destination Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destination Simple

Start your review of Destination Simple
Lia
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Hardly worth the effort.
This was a gift given to me by a business associate.

It was a simple enough book and everything was sensible, practice and achievable.

I would have perhaps liked some newer content or some more visual content as well.

Worth the hour or so it took to get through but overall perhaps too simple to be interesting.

An interesting quandary.
A book on simplification that was too pared down and simple.
Claire O'Sullivan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
A great little book to help me focus on enjoying life, slowing down a little and concentrating on the things that bring me joy.
Reannon Bowen
This is actually a 3.5 star book.
You can knock this tiny book over in an hour but you'll walk away with good things to think about. If you're a fan of Brooke's podcast, like I am , you'll know some of this stuff already but it's still nice to have it all in front of you. Brooke couldn't have made it simpler or more achievable. Once you close the last page you feel like you can adopt everything she's suggested to get you living a simpler life right away. I know this will be a book I revisit any
Khanh
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great and recommended for people who feel they need destressing in their lives. The techniques are simple and workable into your daily life.

What I really like about the book is the many ways in which one can incorporate these rituals. They are fluid and adaptable, making the process very easy and not too hard or forceful. However, this is definitely a book for someone who is just starting and would probably not work as well for someone who is heading for something a little more seri
Danielle N
Dec 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Small, straightforward exercises to help simplify daily life.
Tess O'Brien
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Big fan of Brooke & 'the slow home' podcast! If you too are a frequent listener, a lot of the themes/tools introduced in this book won't be new information.

This book is a great place to start if you are new to minimalism/slow living. If you're a little more familiar it & have been on the bandwagon for a while I would recommend 'Calm' by The School of Life.
Katelyn
Basic, simplified advice to help you slow down your pace.

I especially appreciate that this book is not bloated.
Rebecca
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked that this book was simple and to the point. It talks about methods you can employ in your daily life to just slow down and stress less. I liked the ideas in this book and they were pretty simple and easy to follow.
Nadine
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A bit too simple.
Kit Feral
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this!! to be honest it introduced no new ideas to me. because I've read so much about Waldorf it was very familiar concepts. but I liked that it was a focus on me instead of my kids! it was a very refreshing reminder and the whole thing felt like a happy sigh. the exercises were so simple and clear. the voice was so encouraging and didn't preach or make it all sound impossible for someone with multiple little kids, like so many books like this. it was such a simple gorgeous little read. ...more
Melissa
This was a sweet little guide on how to simplify. However, I would say this is a "first baby step guide" into simplicity, not a guide for those who have already wandered down this path and are looking for something more. The recommendations here were about cutting back just a little bit, but not about going all the way.
K
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, simplicity, 2017
Nothing new here - although I liked the idea of tilting, i.e being flexible between spheres of your life and forgetting balance as a goal. Much better books on simplicity around, sadly.
Kathy Peterman
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the simplicity of this book and the ease of reading it. Brooke McAlary hosts the Slow Your Home podcast and has a lot to say and the minimalism lifestyle. I like how this book is bound, it's intentionally small and it feels good in my hands. You can read Destination Simple in an hour, and then circle back to do the exercises in single-tasking, unplugging, emptying your mind, three things and gratitude. The way she presents on these topics is clear and inspiring. I adore the new word rhyth ...more
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
A quick guide to creating a simpler, slower life.
The steps/suggestions offered throughout this book aren't exactly groundbreaking and if you've listened to any TedTalks or read any other books on this subject you've heard them all before - avoid multitasking, be mindful, occasionally unplug from social media/technology, practice daily gratitude, etc. That said, this book does serve as a good reminder and because it's such a short read, I'd recommend it to anyone who feels overwhelmed and is loo
Natalie Frausell
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is short. 114 pages to be exact. In the introduction, Brooke explains this is a short simple book. If you listen to The Slow Home Podcast, each chapter reads like a little exert from the show. Is this book profound? No. Is it life changing? Maybe. Did it give different language to use and ways to simplify life that aren’t overwhelming and totally achievable? Absolutely.

I loved this book and it’s a great quick read if you want some easy tips on slowing down and learning to “tilt” in ev
Candace
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tiny book is short, practical, realistic, and encouraging. It is a great tool for helping you think through the rhythms, routines, and habits that make up your day, and thus make up your life, which is *exactly* what I wanted to do during a personal retreat. This book turned out to be the perfect companion for that. I definitely recommend it if you are wanting to do the same thing!
Heather
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Gentle encouragement to single task sometimes instead of always multitasking, unplugging for manageable chunks of time, brain dumping to make winding down at bedtime easier, gratitude, narrowing down the to-do list to the top three daily items, forming deliberate morning and evening rituals (not routines), tilting towards rather than striving for balance, and savoring life by taking time to notice.
Elise
Apr 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-read
This is one of my favorite books on simple living I have read – and I’ve read quite a few. :) The main reason is that she practiced what she preaches – that is, the book itself was simple. Compact, easy to read, and… well, simple… It had great nuggets and didn’t waste time with the excess. Would recommend!
Lyree Robson
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous shortened edition of her book Slow. Broken down into 7 short bite size chapters on how to change your life by slowing down and embracing life's daily rhythms makes for a 'simplistic' overview on what's important in today's world. A wonderful easy read and useful reference, I loved it.
Mandy
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing earth shattering here but well done nonetheless.
Mandy Robek
Mar 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, nonfiction, ebook, 2019
A great little read with helpful suggestions. Love the idea of rhythm instead of routine.
Nerae
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for all busy and stressed parents!!!
Maria Carmo
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: therapy
A book that helps to simplify the way we look at daily routines and tasks.
A good read. Useful "rituals" to help unravel a better daily life.

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 24 May 2018.
Relyn
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Slow Home podcast fans
Recommended to Relyn by: I fell for the cover and title first.
I read this little book in an hour or so. I've been thinking about it for days, though. I love the encouragement to thinks of the rhythms in our days and the habits we can establish to make our lives happier, richer, and more intentional. This was a fantastic book.
Allison O.
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison by: Lori
"Instead of starting your day by responding to the stimulus around you, you’re proactively creating the day you want to have." - This book was short and offered some really helpful tips on creating a simpler yet more productive/fulfilling daily schedule. Best takeaway for me - limiting to-do list to 3/day and making sure to balance what I need to get done with what I want to get done.
Jakefan Efp
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few good and simple ideas. I recommend it to women that need more time and to survive in the day-by-day routine. Can't change your life perhaps, but could help a lot!
Edit: re-read it, I liked it even more after having put into action some thechniques the author suggests in the book.
A book full of love for people :-)
Added the fourth star.
Katie Janz
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is about 2.5 stars, but I rounded up to three because it was more enjoyable than a chore. It was just an incredibly simple read. I read this book in three, short sittings. While I enjoyed the topics that were covered in the book, they were very short (which is fine), but I would have liked a more thorough "application" at the end that ties all the topics together. McAlary does this with each chapter, adding on to what we've learned previously, but I would have liked a more comprehensiv ...more
Mandy
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s kind of funny that I waited months for this from our library and I finished it in less than an hour! Quick, little, inspiring read that is broken down into three parts:

1 - Rituals
2 - Rhythms
3 - Checking In

Most of the rituals that McAlary discusses are ones that I already incorporate into my daily life, but the “Single-tasking” is one I really need to work on. Being a mom makes you an excellent multitasker, BUT you end up going through the day feeling exhausted and often times, unaccomplish
Fruity Lemonade
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick short read with some nice reminders to slow down. I am interested in developing morning and evening routines and there is a whole section about this in this little book. I enjoyed this book and found several great ideas I want to incorporate into my life now. If you want to read more about my daily routines stop by my blog. I am sharing them here.

I want to keep things simple in my life. I don’t want to fill up my morning and evening routines with too many steps.

The first thing
Ben Clapton
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow, short, simple

McAlary’s book outlines some simple rhythms that you can incorporate into your life to help cultivate a simple life. Some of these are daily tasks that tie into one another to help simplify your mind, while others are about developing simple rhythms to help shape your morning and evening into what you want them to be. One of the final chapters on the concept of tilting I especially liked, and will try to gain an understanding of tilting as opposed to balance in my life. I rea
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Frugal Life: How a Family Can Live Under $30,000 and Thrive
  • Seeking Slow: Reclaim Moments of Calm in Your Day
  • The Art of Frugal Hedonism: A Guide to Spending Less While Enjoying Everything More
  • A Life Less Throwaway: The Lost Art of Buying for Life
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • The Minimalist Way: Minimalism Strategies to Declutter Your Life and Make Room for Joy
  • Simple Matters: Living with Less and Ending Up with More
  • Waste Not
  • The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life Is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store
  • Miss Minimalist: Inspiration to Downsize, Declutter, and Simplify
  • Minimalism: The practical guide to declutter your life and replace the mindless stuff with time, experiences and meaningful relationships.
  • Live Green: 52 Steps for a More Sustainable Life
  • Minimalism: Adopting the Minimalist Philosophy to Simply Your Life, Decrease Stress, and Gain More Financial Freedom
  • Minimalism: Less Things in Your Life to Live More Fully
  • Smashed Avocado
  • Mindful Simplicity: Practical Strategies for Finding Harmony in Your Home, Work, and Life
  • French Chic Living: A One Stop Women’s Guide To: Parisian Chic, French Lifestyle, Flawless Beauty & Fashion Secrets & Effortless French Style.
  • Fashion Capsule Wardrobe Essentials: Stylish Work