Start by marking “Dinosaur Roar!: Single Sound Board Book” as Want to Read:
Dinosaur Roar!: Single Sound Board Book

Dinosaur Roar!: Single Sound Board Book

Dinosaurs of every shape and size race, roar, and stomp through this colorful book of opposites. And where are all these silly-looking creatures off to? A dinosaur picnic, of course These prehistoric pranksters and the simple, playful rhymes that accompany them will delight children everywhere. Dinosaur Roar is an entertaining way to introduce preschoolers to the concept o ...more
Board book, 24 pages
Published October 20th 2016 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Dinosaur Roar!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinosaur Roar!

Brenda
Originally published in 1994, this is the 25th Anniversary edition of Dinosaur Roar by Paul Stickland and includes a beautiful poster at the end of the book. It depicts the different dinosaurs – from small to large; tall to short; fierce to meek – with exceptional illustrations to delight the child as it’s read to them. Highly recommended.

With thanks to Pan Macmillan AU for my copy to read in exchange for an honest review.
Emma
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
Perfect read with my 3 year old nephew. Dinosaurs + bright colour + sound effects + rhymes...what more could you ask for..
Veronica ⭐️
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, childrens
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Dinosaur Roar! immediately catches the eye with its striking silver foil cover. It features a fiercely roaring T-Rex with a small dinosaur looking suitably unimpressed. Inside is a double spread with all sorts of dinosaurs to feast your eyes on; every shape, colour and size imaginable.

The wording is simple and kept to a minimum with large text that jumps off the page. The illustrations are vibrant and whimsica
A book geared for probably kinder to possibly latest grade 2 but you never know there is always people who enjoy children books at any age!

A nice book about introducing opposites between dinosaurs (sizes, shape,etc)..The illustrations are fantastically colourful. It is another book that uses rhymes so you can use that to your advantage getting the children to repeat after you, getting them involved and engaged.
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Dinosaur Roar! penned by writing duo Paul and Henrietta Strickland recently celebrated its 25th anniversary. To commemorate this occasion, Dinosaur Roar! has received a great facelift. It has a shiny silver cover, an endorsement sticker from the Natural History Museum and this new edition also has an extra bonus dinosaur poster as the back of the book. For any dinosaur lover (I have two of my own) Dinosaur Roar! is a must-read!<
Nikki
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
I like the illustrations and Daddy has fun reading this book to Miss Two.
Vicki
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture
I have to say I don't believe there are that many great read aloud picture books for dinosaurs! I have been doing story times for many years now and probably dinosaur story time annually.

I used this book for Friday's PreSchool Class at the library in place of another that was not successful for the Tuesday group. It is simple, the illustrations are colorful. The text is short, so once again I had the listeners (adults too) repeat the 2 word phrases after me on each page. I used theatrical voice
Cuong Truong
Dec 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WIDER READING FOCUS: Adjectives/Opposites/Dinosaurs
"Dinosaur Roar" introduces its readers to the beasts you would encounter in the prehistoric era. Beautifully illustrated with depth of colour. It doesn't actually name the dinosaurs but the drawings are based on the real things including the infamous Tyranosaurus Rex and the more gentle Diploducus. The text is based on the concept of introducing adjectives such as big, small, fast and slow and utilises rhythm and rhyme in the phrases.
Aleha Begum
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a picture book about dinosaurs, but this is not what it’s only about. The author uses adjectives to describe the dinosaurs in the book. The reader realises that dinosaurs come in all different shapes and sizes, strengths and weaknesses and heights and lengths. The message at the end is that ‘all sorts of dinosaurs’ eat their lunch, which was not predictable in the book.

This is a great book to read to young children during a PSHE lesson as it shows diversity with animals and it can be re
Morgan
Nov 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
PB 50!!!!: THIS BOOK IS SO CUTE BECAUSE IT TELLS KIDS ABOUT EMOTIONS. IT HAS A GRUMPY DINOSAUR AND A SWEET DINOSAUR. YOU CAN INCORPORATE FEELINGS INTO THIS BOOK. ITS ILLUSTRATIONS ARE SO COLORFUL TOO.
Kathryn
A fun little book, probably best geared to the preschool set. Entertaining illustrations of contrasting dinosaurs--like dinosaurs roar, dinosaurs quiet, etc. Very colorful and a quick read.
Lauren
May 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-books
I like the simple rhymes about opposites.
Hilary
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-toddler
Young or easily scared 2yo might find some of these a little scary (there are some huge teeth!) but it's an interesting book of opposites, designed to appeal to small dinosaur fans.
Becky B
Oct 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning readers, Dinosaur lovers, Elementary LA teachers
A favorite book with kindergarten students. They love the drawings of the dinosaurs. The simple text is great for beginning readers. Also a great book to use when teaching verbs.
Susan K
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2019, childrens, rhyme
Fun illustrations, cute rhyming, and clever ending. Perfect beginning early reader book, but also engaging for infants (yes, my almost 10 month old grandson loves this, and it is his favorite go to read before nap time). Audience favorite for sure. Not too long, perfect for a infant, toddler, or beginning reader.
Roben
We read this today for our Prehistoric storytime. We had already talked about adjectives and this book fit in perfectly. We had a broad age range but they all seemed to enjoy this book - plus they got to roar. Never underestimate the power of roaring in storytime.
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
We love reading this with our grandson - but beware of “roaring” this will inspire 🤣
Shanna Gonzalez
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-00-04
This is one of those rhythmic, rhyming, funny books with emphasis on adjectives, this time describing the characteristics of brightly-colored, extremely funny dinosaurs. Unlike Byron Barton's Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs, this one emphasizes humor rather than scientific accuracy, it's unclear which historical beasts these animals represent. Their descriptions are simpler, presented in predictable, rhythmic text: "dinosaur sweet, dinosaur grumpy, dinosaur spiky, and dinosaur lumpy." On the final page the carnivore ...more
Tots R
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dinosaur Roar! By Paul Stickland
(Picture Book)
I bought Dinosaur Roar! for my daycare children because it was a favorite from the library. This book gives children a comparison between different types of dinosaur shapes and sizes. Dinosaurs of every shape and size race, roar, and stomp through this colorful book of opposites. The art is fantastic; the "story" is simple but effective; and I enjoy making sounds and hand motions to go along with each page. While the language in this book
Karina Arroyo
I found this book to be fun and perfect for children in kindergarten and the first grade. It was not a hard read and i thought it was perfect for teaching children about dinosaurs, their different characteristics, and some of the things they do. The book basically described a dinosaur and then compared it to its total opposite. However, many of the times i found it to be very funny in its comparisons. Like when it compared a tiny dinosaur to a really fat one. The book overall can be really fun a ...more
Lyndsey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-o-approved
I have no idea why this book is such a huge hit with my pink and purple loving, princess obsessed little girls. My oldest found it at the library and after crying because we had to return it, I found it online for her. The pictures are cute and the rhymes are fine. The book highlights opposites and flows well. I would have never thought to pick it out for my kids, but they love love love it. I'm surprised that even my three year old who typically likes longer stories still loves to pull this one ...more
Shelby Dennis
This book has colorful pictures and all the different dinosaurs in which is good for a learning tool. It rhymes, keeps children engaged, and shows the foods each animal eats. I think this book is good for children 4-7.

Learning experience: Bring several different textile items in the class and talk about the various textures that are all around. Blindfold the children and have them feel each item and see if they can distinguish between the certain textures that are in the book l
Kristen
I used this in all three of my story times (baby, toddler, and preschool) yesterday and it was one of those rare books that seemed to go over really well for all the age ranges. The babies liked the big pictures and rhythm, toddlers seemed to enjoy the subject matter and some of the silly aspects of the book (grumpy and slimy dinosaurs, especially), and while it might have been a tad too simplistic for the preschoolers I think they still enjoyed the art and were engaged. Overall, definitely a bo ...more
Leonie
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our eldest is 19. This was her favourite book as a tiny tot. (view spoiler)

I'm slightly concerned that I can still recite the first couple of pages, at least 17 years later. It probably gives you some idea of how many times I read that book to her.

The descriptive adjectives are great. The pictures are wonderful, and beautifully colourful. Despite the amount of times I read
Krystal
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book Ivan could recite to me as I turned the pages. I love that it is simple, yet has a rhyme pattern and talks about opposites. The illustrations are clever and cute, and the dinosaurs are fun with out being scary. (It shows the meat eating dinos eating bones instead of other dinos, etc.)
Jeanette Shorey
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story to read to children and add movement or instruments. The pictures are vivid and there are tons of Sound Words to add voices or instruments. See my website at www.kidzsongzforlearning.com for more information!
One page didn't rhyme with the previous page which kinda threw off my delivery. Other than that, cute enough, especially for the dinosaur-obsessed preschooler. He would have given it five stars if he understood ratings systems and literature-based social media.
Candice
Apr 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of Nathan's favorites between a year and two years. I love how it's an opposite book full of unusual opposites (tall and short is nice, but an expanded vocabulary is a bit more fun. Love it!
Lara
Great dinosaur book for young kids--lots of opposites, lots of noises to make, and wonderful illustrations make this a perfect choice for toddlers and preschoolers. Always a success at story time, and one I've never minded reading over and over again.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs
  • Duckie's Rainbow
  • Higher! Higher!
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • Jump, Frog, Jump!
  • Dinosaur vs. Bedtime
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Hello, Day!
  • Lots of Dots
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Chugga-Chugga Choo-Choo
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • One Pup's Up
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • Jump!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
Children's book illustrator, author and paper engineer. Creator of many books including Dinosaur Roar!, Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Galore, The Christmas Bear, One Bear One Dog, A Number of Dinosaurs, Truck Jam and Big Dig.

Find Paul Stickland on Google+