Jump to ratings and reviews

Ever After #1

Legally Charming

THE RIGHT DRESS CAN CATCH THE EYE OF PRINCE CHARMING…

Felicity Hart has one goal: Completing her masters in art. Falling in love isn’t part of the plan. She reluctantly agrees to attend a Halloween party with her best friend. After sneaking away from the party and falling asleep in an unoccupied room, she wakes to the sexiest pair of eyes she’s ever seen. Eyes that belong to the one man who could turn her well organized world upside down. When he flashes that wicked, panty-melting smile at her the vow to not fall in love seems impossible…

EVERY PRINCE IS LOOKING FOR HIS SLEEPING BEAUTY TO KISS…

Jared Redmond used to be the ultimate bad boy. But now his legal career is taking off and the partners of his firm are trusting him with high-dollar real estate transactions. Jared’s king-size bed is empty. But when he arrives home on Halloween to find a princess sleeping in his bed – his all work and no play attitude goes out the window. There’s nothing he wants more than to explore the hidden desires of this mysterious beauty and show her just how much of a bad boy he really is by fulfilling her every fantasy.

WHEN MIDNIGHT STRIKES AND COACHES TURN TO PUMPKINS…

Underneath the glitter of this fairy tale romance, Felicity and Jared might have found true love. But the mounting pressure of their real lives takes hold again and Jared and Felicity are pulled further and further apart. Can they find their fairy tale ending or will they be left with the dying embers of what could have been?

372 pages, Kindle Edition

First published March 13, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Lauren Smith

136 books2,029 followers
Lauren Smith is a USA Today Best-Selling author and an Oklahoma attorney. She knew she was destined to be a romance writer when she attempted to re-write the entire Titanic movie just to save Jack from drowning. Connecting with readers by writing emotionally moving, realistic and sexy romances no matter what time period is her passion. She’s won multiple awards in several romance subgenres including: New England Reader’s Choice Awards, Greater Detroit BookSeller’s Best Awards, Amazon.com Breakthrough Novel Award Quarter-Finalist and a Semi-Finalist for the Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley Award. To connect with Lauren, visit her at www.laurensmithbooks.com or twitter at @LSmithAuthor.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
33 (6%)
1 star
12 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 184 reviews
Profile Image for Jen Ryland.
1,430 reviews898 followers
Read
February 12, 2018
So. Legally Charming wasn't a bad book, but the tropes it used weren't my favorite. This was a classic "virgin and the player" story that featured a sweet heroine who has no idea how attractive she is (a size 12 with long auburn hair, in case you were wondering) who meets cute with a successful, hard-driving Chicago lawyer.

While we are told a bunch of times that Felicity is smart (she's a grad student in art history) she was also WAY too "damsel in distress" for my taste. She faints in large crowds and gets so tired at parties that she has to take a nap. That's how she meets Jared, an ambitious real estate lawyer who has no time for romance (especially because his boss has decreed that if Jared doesn't marry his daughter, he won't make partner. That's so contrived that I won't even pick it apart, but at least the poor daughter in question seems like a nice person who will probably get her own book). In any case, the somewhat narcoleptic Felicity is napping in Jared's bed (very Goldilocks!) and he's so tired from all that big city lawyering that he just climbs on in with her. The rest is history.

I could have warmed up to these very familiar characters if they'd had a little more depth and individuality. Jared falls instantly in lust with Felicity but keeps reminding himself that has no time for love, just enough time for steamy shower sex. Then there's the issue of that pesky partnership blackmail. Jared doesn't have much personality besides being a textbook successful alpha guy love interest: fab apartment, cool job, good abs, just domineering enough to be compelling but not creepy. Felicity's main thought throughout the book is that falling in love with Jared will tank her career... but she's mostly worried because she claims that the only job market for art curators is in Los Angeles. HUH? Overall, she was just too much of a doormat to win me over.

Also, I could see a romance plot device I REALLY hate coming a mile away.

What I did like: the art elements. Shana. And Layla. And even Thad, who has the worst name ever but turned out to be a good guy. Maybe he and Shana could work something out?

tl;tr If you love the ever-popular player and the virgin trope, this one's for you!

Read more of my reviews on YA Romantics or follow me on Bloglovin

The FTC would like you to know that the publisher provided me a free advance copy of this book, that free books can be enjoyable or not, and other readers may disagree with my opinion.
Profile Image for Claire.
2,302 reviews703 followers
March 13, 2017
3 - "We have all night..." Stars!

Lauren Smith is one of my favorite authors, her historical romances are some of the best I have ever read of that genre. Legally Charming is the first in her new Ever After series, and I suppose you would class them as modern day fairy tales, as for me Jared and Felicity’s story had definite leanings towards the Cinderella theme.

"You don’t walk away from chemistry we have. When I touch you? It makes my entire body burn. I’ve never felt that way about anybody else…"

I would put this story in the easy reading category, in that there was nothing to majorly dislike about it, but for me it wasn’t the best I have read by this author. Everything flowed well, but the drama was minimal, even when I expected more of an impact everything just moved along nicely, and everyone was just… nice. Jared for an alpha male, was incredibly sweet, patient and understanding. Whilst Felicity was naïve, innocent, and a little bit of a martyr at times.

"I like you… You made me… feel. It’s been a long time since anyone’s done that. But if you aren’t ready, I’m not going to push you."

A predictably sweet, and completely ‘insta’ read in every respect in relation to romance and relationships, the first book in the Ever After series, offered up an uncomplicated and easy to read romance.

ARC generously provided by the author, in exchange for the above honest review.
Profile Image for Carmen Rae.
1,413 reviews162 followers
March 14, 2017
Legally charming is exactly as the name says. It was a completely charming read that was angst and drama light and was exactly what I needed for a relaxing long weekend read.

This story was told in dual pov so as soon as I got inside Jared's head I was swooning. And to be honest it isn't that often I get a good swoon. He was sweet and caring but he had a massive case of the growling, possessive, domineering too. I am not sure if I loved him most when he was turning her over the lounge threatening to spank her or wrapping her in blankets and talking sweet to her.

Alright I admit it I think I love him most because he managed to pull off both sides without it sounding stupid. Before I get too carried away in my lust fog I will admit he did a few stupid things but sadly for women everywhere that's normal for men and he was quick to fix it so I did give him a pass.

Felicity was OK for most of the book but she did a few of the things that drive me crazy in a heroine.

Firstly before anyone thinks I am anti feminist I am not, however if you start a relationship and one of you has a permanent house and well established career and you are just about to finish your college degree, your future job application hasn't been handed in to a highly competitive position that you possibly have no chance of being considered for then maybe you should realise that that isn't more important. It drives me nuts in real life when people buy trouble over what COULD happen. I actually had to put the book down and walk away from her for a bit.

I understood she had a dream she had worked towards for years but she was so worried about the possibility of the end she was jeopardising her now and what she had was awesome.

Sorry rant over. And despite my whining like a little bitch I thoroughly enjoyed the story and I loved Jared and once Felicity pulled her head out of her arse I didn't mind her either. So despite the fact I probably would have slapped her I did really enjoy it all and highly recommend it just if you're sensitive to the same issues maybe read it with a bottle of wine to take the edge off.

Check out my reviews here
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,101 reviews1,249 followers
July 31, 2017
ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review

photo 57bac355f23a2038029918aebd72ea_zpsz6scopeq.gif

Lauren Smith has written a charming modern tale romance that was a sophisticated blend of sweet and sexy in her newest release, Legally Charming. So in this day in age, is there such a thing as Prince Charming? Or are we all victims to the idea of the happily ever afters. Well, I’m here to tell you Lauren Smith has only one answer. Yes, they do exist. Although this Prince Charming may not be knocking on your door on a white horse or a glass slipper in hand but this real life hero who will sweep you off your feet might be the sweet and protective man that you will least expect. So are you ready to discover and read a modern day romance that will have hearts exploding with so much love with that fairy tale happily ever after ending?

#legallyCharming (1)

Jared Redmond literally fell in love at first sight when he saw Felicity Hart sleeping in his bed. Who would have thought a woman dressed in Princess gown will be the one to turn his world on it’s axis? You see Felicity attended a Halloween party and fell asleep on her friend’s brother’s bed thinking Jared won’t be coming home. So when Jared sees his own version of Sleeping Beauty, he couldn’t help but be drawn to her beauty and innocence. From that moment on, he wanted to know Felicity.

As Jared pursues Felicity, he begins to get to know her. The real her. Her dreams, passion and goals. Soon Jared makes it known to Felicity that friendship is off the table because he wants her. He wants to make her his. When Felicity finally admits her attraction and feelings for Jared, sparks are flying. Love is in the air. But what happens when Felicity plans to move to California? Will Jared be able to walk away from making partner in a law firm just to be with Felicity? And will Felicity be able to walk away from Jared?

In this over-saturated genre of romance where alpha males are the in new trend, I applaud Lauren Smith for making a story where the sweet guy wins the girl. As much as I love an alpha male, it is refreshing to read a story where the characters just feel real. They face normal everyday problems and misunderstandings. So if you are looking for a love story where the characters are raw, emotions runs deep, and the power of love leads to truth and happiness then I would recommend you to go one-click Legally Charming by Lauren Smith.

photo MICHELLE1_zps3515xymk.jpg Lauren Smith

photo goodreads_zpsqjvgc83w.png  photo facebook_zpsmlnlgvgi.png  photo twitter_zpsilgdswce.png  photo instagram_zpsz00yaqwj.png  photo networked-blogs_zpsidxtmdbk.png
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews578 followers
March 10, 2017
Sometimes a girl dreams of the perfect fairy tale romance, especially if you are known for being the studious and serious, shy type on the outside, but you have an inner passion that has never been unleashed. Felicity dreams of being swept off her feet by her knight in shining armor’s kiss, but she never expected him to show up in the middle of the night, or to be so willing to fulfill her every fantasy.

Jared has gone from high power Romeo to high power lawyer and the last thing he expected to find in his bed was his own Sleeping Beauty in a princess gown. Convincing Felicity she is worth the royal treatment is going to be a challenge and just when he thinks he has her right where he wants her, in his bed and in his arms, reality rears its ugly head and their newfound love may become a thing of dreams and it may take more than the heat of passion to have their happy ever after.

LEGALLY CHARMING by Lauren Smith is a modern day romance with the sweetness of an almost innocent fairy tale, but this time out, the wicked stepmother is actually the reality of life and work and responsibilities. Jared is the ultimate dream man, ever patient, ever trying to give Felicity the confidence and support she needs to turn her inner fire into the raging inferno she deserves, both between the sheets and in her aspirations. Felicity is focused on life and her goals, never imagining that a man like Jared would find anything to want from a woman like her. The attraction is there, the chemistry is there, the conflict is there, but can it be resolved?

Ms. Smith has kept this tale light, with a low angst level, which is a big plus! A nice read for romantics that want that fairy tale magic, pumpkin or not!

I received this copy from Lauren Smith in exchange for my honest review.

Series: Ever After - Book 1
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Syndi.
2,794 reviews616 followers
February 11, 2020
Just as the title said, this book is an over dose of charming. At one point I feel suffocated with the OTT charming. Jared is just too good to be true. And Felicity... she is too virginal. She is weak. a very weak character. I can not believe that she is even being consider for any job.

Like the other books by Miss Smith, this book is dragging in the middle. I feel like the middle is just an empty nonsense. Weak plot and no significant development on the characters, plot and drama. I am bored.

2 stars
Profile Image for Sissy's Romance Book Review .
7,506 reviews16 followers
July 31, 2017
LEGALLY CHARMING 'Legally Charming' by Lauren Smith is book One in the "Ever After" series. This is the story of Felicity Hart and Jared Redmond. I am a big fan of Ms. Smith writing so of course I loved this book! But I truly think you will enjoy it too. Felicity is a hard working student trying to get her Masters in Art and loves history. Jared too is hardworking but he didn't used to be...used to be a party boy. But know due to life lessons he is a workaholic. When Felicity goes to her best friends party she stays the night so she doesn't have to drive back in the dark to an unsafe housing apartment. Felicity is given Jared room since he won't be home but that turns out not to be the case. Jared see Felicity sleeping in his bed and for the first time in a long time is fascinated by something other than work. Both Felicity and Jared have a lot of past issues to overcome...but it was so exciting watching them grow together. Jared was a strong male form that was gentle with Felicity when she needed it. Felicity open a world for Jared that he had turned away from. The secondary characters were great! I so hope to see them with their own stories soon!"My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read."https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1... https://www.amazon.com/gp/profile/A2H... https://twitter.com/soapsrus68https:/... https://www.tumblr.com/blog/romancebo...
Profile Image for *CJ*.
3,948 reviews420 followers
March 18, 2017
A sweet read.
When a Halloween party and her birthday leads Felicity to her best friend Layla's boyfriends house, she never expected to fall asleep and wake up to her own Prince Charming Jared in her bed.
The first meeting is insta attraction, and they slowly pursue their relationship- with them eventually expressing their feelings and taking one step at a time.

The heroine is a curvy introvert, the hero a workaholic. Both not looking for a relationship. But that changes..

The first half was a bit tedious but the pace picks up in the second, and there are a few good love making scenes.
The only issue I had with the book was the characters not acting their age. The h and H were supposed to be 30 and 24 respectively, but it felt like a YA novel with the occasional hiding of the simplest things.

Overall a good read. It had mild angst towards the end, but it all works out to a nice HEA.
I honestly had so many more expectations from this book because of the blurb, but it was just likable.
Safe
3.5/5
Profile Image for Michelle.
473 reviews105 followers
February 22, 2017
This is my first contemporary from the wonderfully talented Lauren Smith. She has several contemporaries but I have only read her historical novels which I highly recommend (start with His Wicked Designs). This book would be my 5th book from her that I have read and let me tell you, she did not disappoint.

We have Jared, a lawyer heading towards becoming partner at his firm and Felicity who is very close to earning her graduate degree before moving away to her dream job. They both have worked so very hard to get where they are and certainly never expected for either of them to meet and fall in love. Jared doesn't really have the same insecurities Felicity has. However, Jared has more money and position so him having less insecurities makes total sense to me. Felicity has her insecurities about herself and their relationship. I think all of her worries are very legitimate. She is worried if she is not good enough for him, or how they could really be together if she plans to move across the country for her dream job. She has many doubts, all reasonable and not overly dramatic in any way. This made their relationship very realistic. They had doubts, problems to overcome and it seemed like they fought for their happiness in the end. Yes, there were moments when Felicity could have used a pinching to snap her out of her insecurities but that is what her best friend was for. (I love Layla!)

I could easily relate to Felicity. She is someone I saw a lot of myself but I could also admire how hard she has worked to go to school and support herself. Jared is a complete dreamboat with a heart of gold and naughty side I quite enjoyed.

For me this book was about discovery, decisions and first times. Like falling in love and trying something new and unexpected. It was about making the choice of staying or going, giving up or fighting until the end. I cried a lot towards the end because I could feel their struggles but the ending makes it all worth it.

This book was so much to read that I really didn't want to put it down. It was fun, adorable, sweet but also super sexy and a bit naughty as well. The story worked well and I really enjoyed it overall. I can't wait to see what is next for Lauren Smith.

I received this ARC via Netgalley.
March 14, 2017
Legally Charming was absolutely amazing and I loved reading every single page of this book! The storyline captured my interest from the very beginning, and the characters completely stole my heart.

Jared and Felicity were extremely likable characters in every possible way. They were both inherently good people without an evil bone in their bodies, and I couldn’t help but fall in love with them and their story. I was enthralled from the first page to the last, and I was so happy to have gone on this journey with them. I loved Jared and Felicity’s immediate chemistry together and how their relationship developed throughout. The banter between the two of them was amazing and it had me smiling on almost every page. The book was written in third person and I loved reading Jared and Felicity’s story from both of their POV. I loved the relationship that Jared and Felictiy had, not only with each other, but with their friends and families as well. Lauren Smith’s writing style was phenomenal and I thought the flow of the story was excellent. She did an incredible job writing and telling Jared and Felicity’s story, and she definitely made me want to read more of her books. There were plenty of pleasant surprises throughout this novel and I never once found myself bored while reading it. I literally loved every single thing about Legally Charming, even the perfect title, and I honestly couldn’t have been happier with the outcome. Jared and Felicity’s story was truly incredible and one that I will remember for a very long time to come.

Legally Charming was my first Lauren Smith novel and it most certainly will not be my last. Jared and Felictiy’s story was full of heart, humor and romance, and had so many irresistibly sweet and sexy moments that had me swooning at every turn. I completely fell head over heels in love with this book and would highly recommend adding it to your TBR list. Legally Charming was definitely a Top 2017 Favorite for me, and I honestly cannot wait to see what Lauren has in store for Thad’s and Angelo’s stories in the books to come in the Ever After series!

ARC kindly received in exchange for an honest review. Thank you so much, Lauren!

For more book reviews and other content, please visit my blog: https://theromancebibliophile.com/
Profile Image for Jessica Alcazar.
3,860 reviews433 followers
October 1, 2019
I first feel in love with Lauren Smith when I read her Stepbrother Trilogy and then I started reading her League of Rogues series and I was a goner .... :)

Legally Charming did not disappoint for me. It was a sorta/kinda modern day Cinderellaish story. It was sweet and romantic and it even had a modern day wicked step-mother that called herself life and career. I'll explain in case someone doesn't get it. These two crazy kids meet in a very unique setting. Their journey is quick. One might even say insta. And just when everything seems to be going well ... life comes barrelling in aka the wicked stepmother :)

I don't want it to sound like there was all kinds of drama going on in the book, because it was actually the opposite. Very low conflict and angst. Do I think the story could have used a little more complication or maybe harsher complication, maybe. But it was still a fun and flirty read without it. And the story wasn't lacking in any way because of it. Because of all of those things, I think this story was meant to be written this way. Easy breezy :) And it was a #WIN

Copy provided for blog tour review
Profile Image for Cocktails and Books.
4,064 reviews314 followers
March 19, 2017
This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

Lauren Smith captured my interest when she wrote the Her British Stepbrother series so I was excited to read this first book in a new series.

Felicity and Jared meet when Jared discovers Felicity asleep in his bed. From that moment these two find themselves unable to stay away from each other. Despite being in different places in their life, they can't deny the draw.

The chemistry between Jared and Felicity is very hot. But it isn't just the bedroom where these two are compatible. Both of them are career focused, with Jared working towards partnership at the firm he works at and Felicity trying to finish her Art degree. It takes some soul searching for this couple to figure out they can have everything they want, including each other.

LEGALLY CHARMING was a great read. I enjoyed the characters and couldn't wait to get to their HEA. If you have a few hours, it's definitely one to consider.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
January 12, 2017
I loved how supportive, and sweet Jared was when his woman wasn't feling well, “honey, you aren’t ruining anything. I’d rather be right here with you on the floor of my bathroom than back in Chicago.” His gentle chuckle was a balm to her, and she exhaled slowly... " I loved that Jared would shower Felicity with compliments, “eff, you look amazing, Felicity. It’s not exactly manly to admit this, but I just about came in my trunks.” I really loved this book, and Jared.
Profile Image for Paula  Phillips.
4,751 reviews284 followers
March 2, 2017

Felicity Hart is not your partying type of girl; she is the one who studies and is headed places. Currently, she is doing her Masters in Arts and has big plans to move across to California and became a Museum Curator. Dragged along to her two friends Layla and Tanner's Halloween party, she decides to have some fun and dresses up as a princess. Tanner's brother isn't due to a home that night, so Layla gives Felicity his bedroom. What happens next though is that Jared does decide to come home and arrives at a raging Halloween party when all he wants to do is sleep, but this is a case of Sleeping Beauty as there is already a princess fast asleep in his bed. One thing leads to another, and the pair starts to have some sparks flying between the two of them. The thing is though that they come from two different worlds and unlike Jared and his friends - Felicity has had to work hard for everything she has earned. After a brilliant one night stand, Felicity leaves as she knows it will never work out between the pair of them, but Jared has other ideas up his sleeve as he wants the relationship to work. What will happen though when Jared's best friend playboy Thad gets his eyes on Felicity and wants to win her? Will Jared step up to the challenge and fight for what he wants especially when it turns out that it may have to end in an ultimatum Felicity or his job as a partner in a law firm? I have to admit, the ending of this book frustrated me though as I hate girls who play games and also the relationships that are back and forth as it's like make up your mind already. You either want him, or you don't, stop playing and messing with each other's minds. If you love fairytale renditions and cutesy, sweet romances, then check out Legally Charming by Lauren Smith today as you will not be disappointed.
Profile Image for The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha).
1,821 reviews301 followers
3.5 stars!
Cute, sappy read! I loved that the ex girlfriend in this book was NOT a total bitch. She was kind! Finally-women supporting women, even when its with their ex boyfriend!
Profile Image for Tiff.
568 reviews539 followers
June 23, 2017
Review originally posted on Mostly YA Lit:

Compelling enough to keep me reading, but really, really frustrating because the heroine is painted as a total damsel-in-distress, even though we’re constantly told how strong she is. Legally Charming is the tale of Felicity, an art history grad student who mostly spends all of her days studying and trying to achieve her goal of becoming a museum curator. When she accidentally ends up in the bed of Jared, her best friend’s boyfriend’s brother, they end up unable to resist one another even though external forces say they should stay apart.

I really enjoyed the portrayal of Jared, the buttoned-down, sexy, smoldering lawyer. I also really enjoyed how he introduced Felicity into the world of sex (she was a virgin). He’s your classic alpha male with a heart, but I liked him.

Like I mentioned before, I found Felicity incredibly frustrating because “normally” she’s not a klutz, or someone who needs help – but she is around Jared. Yet we never really saw any evidence that she wasn’t a damsel when she wasn’t around him. She also had major self-esteem issues that I found irritating – it’s the classic “beautiful but doesn’t know it” “sexy and can’t believe she is” thing that just drives me up the wall. While I understood her issues with class and wealth (she grew up quite poor and has had to work for her entire career/course of study), I didn’t understand how a girl who has a great family, that obviously cares deeply for her and encourages her, could feel so down on herself. And I’m saying that as a person who has self-esteem issues!

My other issue with this book is that I could see all the seams – all the tropes, the machinations of getting the characters together, breaking them apart…I saw it all coming. Yes, this is romance, and romance is rife with tropes. But it just felt like there was a lot of telling and not showing. I kept being pulled out of the narrative because it just didn’t feel real enough or compelling enough to make those seams disappear.

What I did like was the discussions of art and real estate, the flavour of Chicago, and all the secondary characters. I was very interested in seeing more from Jared’s best friends – which is good, because the series continues with them.

Overall, a quick and okay read. I wish it was less predictable, but it’s an enjoyable read if you’re looking for a modern-day damsel and prince kind of thing.

Profile Image for Laura.
2,218 reviews106 followers
March 9, 2017
***ARC Provided by the Publisher and Sassy Savvy Fabulous PR***

I wanted to like this book. I really did.

Unfortunately, the want and what I got was not the same thing. The writing, for me, was a little unpolished and that left me feeling that the dialog was a little stilted and that people wouldn't really say the things they said in the book.

Unfortunately, the meet cute for the 2 of them was something I was not able to get past. You do not meet someone for the first time and then agree to sleep next to them. You just don't. Nor, honestly, do you wake up refreshed after getting a good night sleep with a party going on...in your house.

I had other issues, but the problem for me was that I was never able to fully get over the beginning to invest in the middle and the end for the characters. I was disappoined by this book and I am not able to recommend it.

***This and other reviews featured on our blog “Booked All Night” http://bookedallnightblog.com/ and here: https://www.facebook.com/BookedAllNight/***
Profile Image for Sangria.
583 reviews1 follower
May 6, 2017
Wow.....that was a good surprise.

I've read lots of Lauren Smiths historical romances, she has some good ones. In fact The Shadows of Stormclffe Hall is one of my favorites. So this was a sweet surprise of a contemporary romance.

If your in the mood to read about a geniunly good guy, and a simple, shy h this is a good easy read. It's romance and relationships and pretty simple and straightforward. I just finished a long series, so it was a nice pallet cleanser before I start the one I'm about to read. Looking forward to Thad and Angelos story.

Well done, I'll follow the series.
Profile Image for Tania's Book Blog.
1,512 reviews19 followers
March 14, 2017
**ARC received voluntarily for review**

This is the first book I've read by this author and she didn't disappoint. Felicity Hart had self esteem issue and wasn't realizing how gorgeous she was. She was a hard working college student that had dreams and plans. She didn't have time for love or think that anyone will ever be interested in her.

Jared Redmond was a young attorney that was all about his job. He has no time for relationships. Until he saw Felicity in his apartment with her bff who happens to be Jared's brother girlfriend. It was love at first sight for both.

He didn't know what it was about this gorgeous girl that kept pulling him in. She fought trying to fall for him and he wouldn't stop pushing for them to be together. This was the development of a very beautiful love story of a guy that made his woman feel like she was beyond perfect.

Things progressed with very minimal drama and it was refreshing to read. I can't spoil but it's very beautiful.
Profile Image for Catherine (The Sassy Bookster).
705 reviews59 followers
March 17, 2017
3.5 Stars

The cover of this book was my single reason for wanting to read this book. A guy in a white shirt does it for me EVERY TIME, so I was salivating over the cover and barely registered the synopsis. And it was a good way for me to sample Ms. Smith's writing for the first time.

LEGALLY CHARMING is a cute, entertaining and sweet take on the classic fairy-tales and for me it was an easy read with little drama, not the kind that blow your socks off but more the kind that is intended to be uncomplicated and lighthearted.

Jared Redmond is a workaholic focused on becoming a partner at his law firm but one look at Felicity Hart sleeping in his bed and for the first time in while he finds himself fascinated by something other than work. Felicity is not his usual type of woman but the attraction between them is undeniable and Jared finds himself acting out of character in a bid to make her his.

Jared is the ultimate Prince Charming, willing to give his lady whatever her her desires, very supportive, very patient, very accommodating. Felicity is driven and ambitious, but also lacking in self-confidence and cannot believe that a man like Jared could ever want her and Jared faces a challenge convincing her otherwise.

Jared and Felicity are certainly not lacking in chemistry between them, but can they withstand the hard knocks from reality in the form of ambition and pressure and responsibilities?

I certainly had some issues with this story, especially with Felicity and her wishy-washy ways but overall, the story had its moments and also had lots of fun characters. This would be a good book to relax with for a lazy weekend.

Disclaimer: I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book. All opinions stated are solely mine.

Want more? Subscribe to my Newsletter on The Sassy Bookster.
Follow me on Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin’.
Like my page on Facebook.
Profile Image for Steffi.
2,853 reviews162 followers
March 1, 2021
"Legally Charming" sounded like an entertaining romance which I was looking forward to read.

Overall the book was entertaining read but there some things which were really annoying me. One thing was that Jared was treating Felicity like a small child and was always discussing their age difference, which was also six years by the way. Felicity was described like the all innocent woman with no sexual experience as well. Jared of course was the all experienced macho.

The love story developed way too quickly and everything felt like a set-up. I really missed some sparks and flirting between Felicity and Jared. Also the sexual part went way too quickly.

After all the story was entertaining to read and in the second half it definitely my romanctic side and had even some thrilling bits to the story. I enjoyed reading the story but it didn't blow me away.
Profile Image for Sophia.
Author 5 books324 followers
May 21, 2018
I have been a fan of the author's historical romances for a few years now and always meant to try her contemporaries. Finally, I'm getting the chance after winning a copy of Legally Charming in a giveaway. A spicy modern fairytale retelling seemed just the thing.

Legally Charming opens with the Cinderella ball aka a best friend's Halloween party where serious minded, but also seriously tired dedicated art student, Felicity Hart, slips into an empty bedroom to catch a few winks and wakes up to discover she crawled into Prince Charming's bed.
Jared isn't that guy any more who fools around, but he gives into temptation when delectable Felicity is right there all innocent and virginal and just as attracted to him.

The story had some fun winks to the series' fairytale theme and I enjoyed how the author brought into a modern story. There's a cuteness quality to it and it leans heavy on the prince falling for his Cinderella on first sight. Much of this story is an easy read as far as light and easy. It read quickly though I confessed to skimming a few times when it came to a part of the conflict that annoyed me, but not enough to destroy my overall enjoyment of the story.

Jared was a handsome princely guy who's a workaholic lawyer with ambitions to make partner. These ambitions are complicated by the boss dangling a contract of sorts that has nothing to do with real estate involving the boss' daughter. Jared's cleaned up his act with women and is ripe for someone innocent and sweet like Felicity. He gets to teach her a thing or two about how sexy and beautiful she is and they both learn that there may be more to life than work or school.
Felicity was an art student with strong ambitions and plans that involve a dream job across the country just when things are getting serious with Jared. She's a strong person about her independence.

For most of the book, I was cruising along enjoying what I was getting particularly some swoony Jared moments and I was curious who would have to give in on their dream for them to be together. But, there were a few smaller things that did get to me. They're going to sound like a big deal, but I was only moderately bothered by them. I had a tough time buying in to the boss trying to leverage a guy into being with his daughter particularly in a law firm. Maybe if Jared really had been a royal prince charming...
Then there was Felicity's character and some of her actions. I'm told she is a strong, independent woman, but I certainly wasn't seeing evidence of it down to the fact that she seemed helpless. And, she was totally hung up about her body no matter how many affirmation statements she got from others. She's gorgeous, came from a good family, has good friends and she's driven, but she has serious self-esteem issues and this sense of being low class riding her and I couldn't understand why. Jared comes from money, but he's not holding that against her.

All in all, it was a decent start to a fun and charming series with some easy-going, spicy hot modern fairytale themed stories. I enjoyed this first-time contemporary with the author and wouldn't mind reading more. Those who enjoy low-angst, sweet and spicy contemporary romance should give this one a go.
Profile Image for Kahea.
2,001 reviews102 followers
March 8, 2017
***4 “Can Jared by MY Prince Charming?” Stars***

This Cinderella-esque retelling had me going all over the place feels wise. It was most definitely a dopey smile, swoon worthy, smexy as sin read but it also had me growling and wanting to reach in and throttle some sense into the characters as well as I turned the pages to see if Jared and Felicity would get their fairy tale ending.

Jared is the definition of a workaholic. He’s put everything into his job and attaining a partnership, effectively digging himself into an early grave, and has forgotten what it means to enjoy life to it’s fullest. I adored Jared, I seriously want him to come and be my Prince Charming. He has that alpha male vibe but he’s not all broody, he’s more playful and charming and it’s an extremely potent combination that will melt your panties. But for all that charm, he’s gotten himself firmly set on work being everything. He has cause, but it’s a bit extreme. Thankfully, he comes to realize that all work and no play definitely make Jared a sad and boring boy.

Felicity has had to work hard her entire life and being able to take care of herself and accomplish her goals is a point of pride, and one that she holds on to like a lifeline. I had a bit of a time with Felicity. I loved and admired her drive and determination to achieve her goals, she works hard and doesn’t expect hand outs. She’s got a good heart mixed with a sass and little bit of sexy vixen, but her insecurities killed me. She didn’t want to be a damsel in distress, she wanted to be an independent woman, but would fall apart at even the slightest hint that she wasn’t good enough and blow it out of proportion to what was really going on. To say the least it was a trying experience.

Jared and Felicity’s road to their HEA had that one step forward, two steps back feel to it because of how tunnel visioned they both were as well as Felicity’s insecurities. And if it hadn’t been for how good they were together when neither were actually thinking about anything but being together I may not have finished the book. But I did and I’m happy I did because the highs and lows were worth it in the end. As much as I liked Felicity, and I did like her, Jared reigns supreme here. He had his moments and was far from perfect, but the man was determined to follow his heart and did everything he could to show Felicity how much he wanted and loved her for her.

This was a fun read and I was hooked from the first time Jared and Felicity collided. There were ups and downs, but it was all well worth it, especially Jared. I like how everything played out in the end and that some possible roads weren’t traveled. The supporting characters were all well written, Layla was a blast, I’m crossing my toes that Thad and Angelo will be getting their own HEA’s and hoping Sabine and Shana will as well.

~ Copy provided by Barclay Publicity ~
Profile Image for Marie Vasquez.
1,598 reviews73 followers
March 28, 2017
A charming and sweet romance!

Felicity Hart and Jared Redmond are from different worlds and at different point in their lives. Felicity is an Art History Grad student with dreams of being an art curator in a well known gallery/museum. Jared is a workaholic attorney working on the partnership path.

But one night he finds a princess in his bed and it all changes for the both of them. They have great chemistry and find a comfortable ease with the other person that allows them to release and be themselves where they aren't able to otherwise. Felicity helps Jared enjoy a slower pace in life. He love of art opens him up to new things and teaches him to enjoy those things he would have normally ignored. For Felicity, having him in her life gives her a boost in confidence. Being young and having spent her every available moment studying and working, the nerd in her finds a new zest for life when she realizes that sexy Jared has his eye on her.

Aside from building a fast and easy friendship, they find that their attraction is something that is propelling them in to uncharted territory. Jared has never had to juggle work with a personal life and Felicity's young and fragile confidence has trouble accepting their budding relationship.

I found it a bit hard to connect with the characters on a level beyond surface appreciation for their story, but it was an enjoyable romance. It follows a similar format as many contemporary romances, but was a good story to enjoy when dealing with a book hangover or looking for a quick read. I've been a fan of Lauren Smith's other works and this one was much "softer" than the others I've read. It was different but was just well written as the others.

FAVORITE QUOTES:

A princess. There was a princess in his bed.

She looked like the kind of woman a young man dreamed about and ruined his sheets over, the kind of woman he’d stopped dreaming about a long time ago because he was convinced they didn’t exist.

She loved his voice. If she closed her eyes, it would pour over her like rich red wine. Sink into her skin, seduce her heart, her mind, her body. Like honey and silk, almost hypnotic. She’d be tempted to do anything he asked with that voice.

Jared wanted to explore her the way a painter learned the surface of his canvas. An intimate acquaintance. A knowledge of secret places. He wanted it all with her.

He had changed her—or rather, wanting to be with him had made her change. She was braver, more outgoing because she wanted to be with him.

“Tell me our life will be wonderful?” she asked.
He lowered his head, and when their mouths were inches apart, he whispered, “I won’t tell you. I’ll show you.”

“A princess deserves nothing less than a prince, and for you I’d do anything and be anything. I love you.”
Profile Image for Donna ~ The Romance Cover.
2,754 reviews313 followers
Legally Charming (Ever After #1) by Lauren Smith
3 stars!!!

“Sometimes a girl wants to know if a man will fight for her. So if you want her bad enough, fight for her.”

Lauren Smith is a new to me author and I was drawn to this book because of “Legal” being in the title. I do love books set in that domain and hot lawyers are definitely easy to read about. Legally Charming is a book I enjoyed, it was what I deem an “easy read,” everything was nice, sweet with a little angst and a lot of insta love.

Felicity Hart was a likeable character in so far as she was sweet, innocent and naïve, but for me the damsel in distress act did get a little old after a while. For someone extremely intelligent, I found her very flaky and she was just a little too wet for me to warm up to. Felicity was very insecure about herself, especially her curves, and she couldn’t see the beautiful woman underneath despite who and how many times people told her otherwise. Felicity was however extremely independent which was a fantastic trait, even if rather annoying at times when you just wanted her to accept help when she really needed it. Overall though, I liked her.

Jared Redmond was your typical red blooded, alpha lawyer. Jared worked all the hour’s god sends to further his career and hopefully make partner in the firm that is owned by his ex-girlfriend’s father (cue drama). He wasn’t a defender or prosecutor but worked in real estate law which is apparently just as demanding. Jared had no time for romance or relationships, his work ethic had only one track, focus, focus, focus. Jared was extremely good at his job and that is the way he wanted it to stay or at least did until he wandered in on a sleeping Felicity in his bed.

“…You don’t walk away from the chemistry we have. When I touch you? It makes my entire body burn. I’ve never felt that way about anyone else.”

Legally Charming was the proverbial player to love sick puppy story line and was predictable, the little plot twist I could see coming a mile away and the ex-girlfriend drama was a foregone conclusion, but for an easy read this was perfect. Personally, I would have liked a little more depth to the characters but Lauren Smith surprised me when my eyes were leaking at one point so the emotional connection I crave was there. I was curled up on my sofa reading away without a care in the world, this was a great lazy weekend read.

www.theromancecover.com
Profile Image for Ryan - Sweet Red Reader .
1,342 reviews79 followers
March 15, 2017
(I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review)

I don't know what I expected from this book, but for some reason I found myself pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It's not told in first person POV, so it was a bit of a change of pace from the books I've read lately, but in a really good way. Felicity is such a wonderful (if not naive) character - full of strength and intelligence, yet sweetly naive. Jared is the perfect counterpart for her - mature and caring, exactly what Felicity needs to delve into the world of adult (and therefore rife with difficulties) relationships. This is a case of instalove, but I didn't mind it so much. The issues they come across were realistic (albeit a bit predictable) and the level of skill that Lauren Smith displays with her story telling made this a real page turner for me (I finished the book in a day). I really look forward to reading the rest of the books in the series!
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,783 reviews130 followers
March 9, 2017
ARC Review: Legally Charming (Ever After) by Lauren Smith

Life is not always a fairy tale, but it's nice to pretend that it is. Perhaps that's my draw to author Lauren Smith. With all of the harshness life throws out on a daily basis, it's nice to live among the clouds for a little while. Legally Charming is like escaping into a dream. Ms. Smith brought the same brand of enchantment that drives her regency romance into her modern day journey of love. Jared and Felicity are existing but not living. He's a workaholic that's life has become far too real. She's a dreamer at heart, but not willing to take the risk. One night ignites the fantasy, but will the magic wear off when the real world sets in?
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,554 reviews307 followers
March 24, 2017
This was a charming story about two unlike people that find love when they least expect it, they do not have an easy time of it although what in life that is worth having ever comes easy? Legally Charming was a great beginning to a new series titled Ever After by Lauren Smith, if you have read any of Lauren's previous books you will be happy to know that while this may be a fairy tale of sorts not only do you get the HEA that you expect but you also get a sweet and sexy read.

Read my full review and enter the giveaway for a chance to win a $25 Amazon Gift Card here: https://nadineisobsessedwithbooks.blo...
Displaying 1 - 30 of 184 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.