Start by marking “Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization

Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization

The official novelization of the eagerly anticipated movie, Wonder Woman.
Before she was Wonder Woman, she was Diana, princess of the Amazons, trained to be an unconquerable warrior. Raised on a sheltered island paradise, when an American pilot crashes on their shores and tells of a massive conflict raging in the outside world, Diana leaves her home, convinced she can stop
Published June 6th 2017 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, please sign up.
Victor Orozco Verbatim mostly. The book mentions his involvement in the Battle of Passchendaele when he gazes into the eyes of the people in the front with Diana. B…moreVerbatim mostly. The book mentions his involvement in the Battle of Passchendaele when he gazes into the eyes of the people in the front with Diana. But if you are hoping to find out stuff, like his father's name, his life before the war, a flashback with either Sammy, Charlie or Chief then no dice. Most of this is told from Diana's point of view.
(less)

Start your review of Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization
AMEERA
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it
sigh !!.
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
This review can also be found on my blog, Dana and the Books.

Chances are you've heard of Wonder Woman. The new movie, starring Gal Gadot and Chris Pine and directed by Patty Jenkins, is everywhere you turn your head.  It's received countless positive reviews and glowing praises. And rightfully so—I loved it!

Wonder Woman by Nancy Holder is not a new story featuring Diana, it's a straight up novelization of the movie. I found novelizations can be hit or miss for me; some are written too simply a
Romie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to want to save the world. This beautiful place. But I knew so little then. It is a land of beauty and wonder, worth cherishing in every way. But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness simmering within. And mankind?
Making is another story altogether.
What one does when faced with the truth is more difficult than you think.
I learned this the hard way a long, long time ago. And now, I will never be the same.

I’m this person who saw the movie twice, and of course had to buy th
TL
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than some movie novelizations...

The writing went between awkward and good for during this read. It follows the movie well, and with some insight into everyone's heads you wouldn't get in the film.

The ending for me (with Diana and Ares fighting) still isn't my favorite part. The visual effects were great but felt overlong to me. The case was the same here, except without the visual aids provided by the movie.

All in all, a decent read and I was fun to spend time with the gang again.
Wayland Smith
Ok, before I get any static about my low rating, let me be clear: I really enjoyed the movie. I think it's the best DC has done in years, and I'm so glad they finally seem to be getting their act together. So why is the book rated low? Well, this is one of the few times in my life I can recall saying, "The movie was better."

In fairness to Nancy Holder, I have no idea what restrictions she might have been under to write this. There are the many complications of not only writing someone else's cha
Christine
I think that writing a really good novelization is becoming a lost art. But Nancy Holder knows what she is doing. This is everything a good novelization should be.

The novel, obviously, follows the plot and action of the recent Wonder Women movie. The motivations and thoughts of several characters are fleshed. Importantly, there are three Amazons that Diana particularly admires - her mother, her aunt (aka her other mother), and Artmis (who is the black Amazon that Diana spars with in the movie).
Jana Brown
I remember being in elementary school the first time I read a movie novelization. That particular novel was the go along with Star Wars, and I loved the additional depth it gave to a movie that I already loved.

Picking up this book was in the spirit of that same hope. That I'd see depth to a movie I really enjoyed, but about a third of the way through I'm done. It's a serviceable book and it follows the movie step by step, but without any heart to it. It's like a non-fiction recitation and I'd ra
Bright Star
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I can save today, you can save the world."

"It's not about what they deserve. It's about what you believe. And I believe in love."

"Now I know, only love can truly save the world."

THIS VIDEO WILL BE THE DEATH OF ME: https://youtu.be/GOv4Xul42y8
Kevin
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FANBOY POV:
I wasn't a big fan of Wonder Woman, but after the movie, I fell madly in love with her.

CRITIQUE POV:
This book needs another round of editing.

THE REVIEW

WRITING STYLE:
Easy transitions. That's Miss Holder's strength as a writer. The way that she can grab you from one place to another, one setting to another, and one conflict to another. She can make worlds collide without confusing her readers. Her writing reminds me a little bit of Miss Jennifer Niven. The transitions are not too comp
Bryan Thomas Schmidt
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have not yet seen the film but the book is solid: well written, well paced, a fun story that hold up on its own. The imagery of film can only make it better. Recommended.
Julia Ostash
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this book 3 stars but for Steve Trevor, I gave it 4. I loved the movie and this book was just like it. I just had issues with Holder's interpretation of Diana and Steve.

Full review here: http://burgersandbooks.weebly.com/blo...
Marisa
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not bad for a novelization of a movie! I wound up skimming over most of the retelling of action sequences, but the way that Diana and Steve are written together is nice. Steve's death sequence is particularly touching.
Sean Kennedy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Serviceable novelization of a brilliant movie.
Aj
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Reads mostly like the movie with a few minor differences. It didn't seem to have the depth of feeling that the movie did which surprised me. There really isn't much of the internal thoughts that deepened a scene. Movie was fantastic, this less so...which I find rather surprising.
Nik Morton
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's no mean feat to write a novelization. Bear in mind that the usual length of a film script is much shorter than a novel; my film script for my vampire crime thriller Chill of the Shadow came to 120 pages, 22,500 words, while the book’s word-count was 80,000. Those additional words provide the reader additional visuals, backstory, and characters’ introspection.

The main problems for the writer of a novelization are that they may be working from an early script and they have a very tight deadli
Kate
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm very generously giving this book a 2 star rating. I have rarely been so happy to finish a book. I'm actually a little disgusted that this is the "Official Movie Novelization" because it was THAT bad. Absolutely no editing, the characters were very flimsy and I just had no desire to get more into the book. I am not denying the fact that the movie was likely excellent, but this book was complete and total garbage.

I don't know who edited this, but they should be out of a job. How difficult is
Emma
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: in-fairmont, owned
I was pretty disappointed in this book. They must have been in a rush to get it onto the shelves because there were quite a few mistakes that should have been easy for an editor to catch. The romance felt strange and forced and was left at this point where even though it was supposed to be important to the story it was kind of ignored most the time. You didn't really get to know any of the supporting characters enough to really like them and obvious connections to their personality, such as Chie ...more
Tina
Aug 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
Who let this exist? How could anyone take such a well-done movie and create . . . . this. Instead of backstory and elaboration and interior thoughts of the main characters we get three page descriptions of gun history that doesn't matter and that Diana would never have been taught, and detailed fight scenes. Any scene that is plot or character driven is reduced to nothing. There is no romance or passion here at all, unless it is towards the weaponry. I feel like I'd've been better spending my ti ...more
Ozana Ozzy
Book is exactly written as movie, I tought that Leigh Badugo is writing also book about Wonder Woman, I wonder how will it be different.
I don't exactly feel the need for this book as all that is in it is in the movie, and for anything else comic lovers already knows everything about Diana, Wonder Woman.
Marie
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
I am extremely disappointed with this novelization. Not only does the author rewrite or skip over some of the best small moments of the film, but she misinterprets almost all of the characters. These are not the women and men that I fell in love with in the theater. This is not the Diana I know and love and look up to.
Chloe ♥︎
This felt very slapped together and hurried. After seeing Wonder Woman, an excellent film that was full of craft and artistry, reading this book was depressing. It feels very much as though the author simply slapped the script down onto paper and wrote some filler without doing any research.
Michelle Adamo #emptynestreader
One of those rare occasions when the movie actually is better than the book. And why wouldn’t it be? It’s difficult to top an action packed superhero movie! Wonder Woman: The Official Movie Novelization is a book written about a movie - an uncommon approach.

Wonder Woman begins with Diana as a girl, daughter of Hippolyta, Queen of the Amazons, living on the secret island of Themyscira. As a princess she must be educated and trained. Through her tutoring she learns the history of her people and he
Andy
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A good novelization of the hit film.

It's a faithful retelling, with minimal fleshing out of scenes or dialogue that you sometimes get in movie novelizations. The director of the film, Patty Jenkins, is quoted as saying that there were no deleted scenes from film, and the fact that there's very little additional material in this novelization does kind of back that up.

The book does add to the film however by expanding on the thoughts of Diana and of Steve Trevor when the POV is focused on them. Yo
Cody Enos
Jul 01, 2020 rated it liked it
2.5

This was tough to rate. Ultimately, I thought it was very in the middle when it comes to novelizations. However, I did enjoy it and would tentatively recommend it to other novelization fans which is why I rounded up.

The biggest difficulty when reviewing a novelization is what problems were the writer’s fault and what problems were the script’s fault. In this case I think the problems I did have with the movie were amplified here, so I’d say those were script faults and won’t mention them too
Garrett
When I was a kid, I was obsessive about getting these "novelizations" of movies I liked. First off, if you saw a summer movie in the 80s that you liked, you had to wait basically forever for a VHS release, and there was no cable or Amazon or Netflix or anything. You had your memories of the thing, and action figures and movie novelizations and soundtracks. So these were important. As I read them, I found out that in their rush to get these published, they're not novelizations really of the film, ...more
Austin
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I am now convinced that this current existence is a spin off of unlimited dimensions in the multiverse, not the one I started in back in the 70's and that the Mandela Effect is real. I know this because I finished and reviewed this book a long time ago. I even remember what I wrote and yet there is not record of my review on Amazon, Goodreads, emails, library, nothing. I also remember feedback from my international fans and some of theugly feedback I received from other feminists who believe not ...more
Sarah Spelbring
May 15, 2020 rated it liked it
I have not watched the movie that this book is based on. Just so we're clear where I'm starting from. Also, have not watched any other Wonder Woman movie or read any other book. In general you could say I've not had any exposure to Wonder Woman or her story. Now that that is out of the way...

I'm a super fan of Greek Mythology, and am interested in Wonder Woman's backstory more than what she's doing now. I don't have to hand the story of Zeus and the Amazons, but I love the connection and origins
Zara Mcaspurren
Wonder Woman , the novelization by Nancy Holder, is a fantastic re-telling of the movie's story. Could that be my fondness for the movie getting in the way and making me praise higher than I should? It's entirely possible, but it's also entirely justified. The movie is amazing, and the novelization adds to that level of enjoyment, by fleshing out the thoughts of the characters in each scene, and even confirming a few little thoughts you may have had during your watch.

Holder has a talent for w
Melissa
This is a better than usual novelization of a movie. Nancy Holder does a good job of converting the script to a novel, and it's very apparent that she did have access to the script. A thing that I liked: beginning each third of the novel with a quote from an ancient source. My only real issue comes where my knowledge exceeds hers. When Diana is riding from the castle to Veld and then from Veld to the poison gas factory, Holder describes her as "digging her spurs into the horse"; putting aside wh ...more
Nicole
I have been a fan of Wonder Woman since I was young, reading tons of graphic novels and watching the Justice League cartoon. So I was very excited when I saw the trailer for Wonder Woman.

The movie was great, with such beautiful scenes and exciting action which was a stark contrast to the gray world of WW1. I was hoping the novelisation would bring back good memories from the movie.

While the writing has a cinematic tone of detailed descriptions and stayed true to the dialogue and scenes from the
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Gabriel's Ghost (Dock Five Universe, #1)
  • Saving Askara (Saving Askara #1)
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones #1)
  • So I'm a Spider, So What?, Vol. 6 (light novel)
  • Part Time Cowboy (Copper Ridge, #1)
  • The Hero of Hope Springs (Gold Valley, #10)
  • Dawn of the Morning
  • Ready to Fall (Wingmen, #1)
  • Rocky
  • Marcia Schuyler
  • The Last Wingman (Wingmen, #6)
  • Wonder Woman (2016-) #752
  • Wonder Woman (2016-) #751
  • The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1)
  • Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper (Ellie Jordan, Ghost Trapper, #1)
  • Pretty Little Things
  • Everything She Ever Wanted
  • Miranda
Nancy Holder, New York Times Bestselling author of the WICKED Series, has just published CRUSADE - the first book in a new vampire series cowritten with Debbie Viguie. The last book her her Possession series is set to release in March 2011.

Nancy was born in Los Altos, California, and her family settled for a time in Walnut Creek. Her father, who taught at Stanford, joined the navy and the family t

News & Interviews