Start by marking “Marley's Ghost” as Want to Read:
Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost is the posthumous completion of legendary creator Harvey Kurtzman's adaptation of the classic Charles Dickens' novel—A Christmas Carol. Kurztman's ambitious concept for Marley's Ghost began in the 1950s—as an early "graphic novel"—but was never realized. Now, over 60 years later, writers Josh O'Neill and Shannon Wheeler expand upon Kurtzman's extensive adapt ...more
Published November 8th 2017 by Harvey Kurtzman's Marley's Ghost

To ask other readers questions about Marley's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marley's Ghost

Start your review of Marley's Ghost
Julie
Marley’s Ghost- Based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens- Adapted by Harvey Kurtzman is a 2017 publication.

This is an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ ‘A Christmas Carol’ which has finally been published in graphic novel format from Harvey Kurtzman’s vision. His project never came to fruition in his lifetime.

Josh O'Neill, Shannon Wheeler, and Gideon Kendall took his plans and brought them to life.

My review, to be clear, is on the graphic novel adaptation and not of the original classic by C
Swaroop
Marley`s Ghost is a graphical novel adaptation and retelling of A Christmas Carol. Nice illustrations. It is a fun and enjoyable read, and not to be compared with the original Dickens book.

'Always strange... to hear an insect on a leaf pronouncing there is too much life among his hungry brothers in the dust.'

***
'There is happiness everywhere, Ebeneezer Scrooge...

For those who are willing to look.'

Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing!!! A graphic novel retelling of Charles Dickens’ classic (one of my favorite holiday tales). The artwork in this was spot-on and added so much to the story. I enjoyed reading every page of this and will be adding it to my yearly Christmas to-read. It was also interesting to read about how Kurtzman tried to get this published like 50 years ago, but no one was interested. Thankfully times have changed and this beautiful book was created.
Linda
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing

Marley’s Ghost took a classic story and made it feel fresh. This was my first experience reading a graphic novel, and I loved it. The illustrations were incredible and coupled with the familiar story made for an enjoyable read. This novel will attract readers of all ages. It has the charm of A Christmas Carole, with its messages of kindness, hope, and the ability of changing for the better, but it also contains illustrations that take the story to the next level. It is a combination of th
Ryan Lindberg
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
A graphic novel decades in the making. A perfect adaption of Dickens’s classic.
Christine
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This adaption of a Christmas Carol is well done. There are wonderful little in jokes in some of the illustrations.
Will Hoover
Dec 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Although I'm a HUGE fan of Charles Dickens and his immortal and ever beloved classic, A Christmas Carol, I was quite disappointed with this graphic novel adaptation. Admittedly, the story itself is very much intact, with only a few changes made to Dickens' work overall. HOWEVER, several of the otherwise "minor" alterations made by writers Josh O'Neill and Shannon Wheeler are, by my estimation, most unforgivable.

And I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE both Charles Dickens and A Christmas Carol. I really do! In fa
Tammy
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED IT!!!!

I love this story and I am always fascinated by all the interpretations I've come across over the years. This one was fabulous and was so fun to read. I really enjoyed it! Everyone that worked on this graphic novel did a real solid for Mr. Kurtzman, and I think he would have been very proud of how it turned out. BRAVO!!!
Andrew
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is a very good comics adaptation of A Christmas Carol. The history of this adaptation is interesting. I won't get too deep into it, but basically it's a project that Kurtzman started, but did not complete. He got as far as doing breakdowns, basically. He couldn't find a publisher for the project, and put it aside. (There's an essay about that in the back of the book.)

As far as I can tell, the text is largely taken right from Dickens. Reading other reviews, I see that some people have identi
Molli B.
It's been forever since I read A Christmas Carol, so I'm not 100% sure how much of this is directly from that—but I good chunk is verbatim, I think???

Anyway, this was a good way to kick off my holiday reading! I loved the art, and this story lends itself well to a comic book treatment. I wasn't sure what the title meant—"Harvey Kurtzman's..."—but there's a bit at the end that explains that Kurtzman (of MAD fame) had the idea for doing a graphical treatment of this back in the 50s, and pretty muc
Jake Miller
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this adaptation! I’ve read the original and really like how movies and other visual mediums capture the story. For example, I love being able to see how much of a difference there is in Scrooge’s manner and expressions between his cranky old age and his happy youth. This particular artist has some awesome splash pages that were well done. This is free to borrow through the lending library if you’re a prime member currently! Nothing groundbreaking about it, but it is a quick read a ...more
ElizrdbthSpeaks
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
you know the story of Scrooge ... so that is not something new ...but I had to see these drawings, art, doodles (that is totally not a good enough word for this masterpiece!) these are so amazing. i love art. not sure it will do it on all book reading apps or not? but i read it on my kindle and it is like leaping off the page ... so real ... like watching a movie or such like that??! so awesome!! loved it ... gotta see what else this artist does do??! well done. just amazing! ( ;
Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words)
Kind of an odd ode to a brilliant classic. There were points where it felt ad libbed with modernity. Still not too bad. Definitely missed it’s potential in my opinion.
Sarah83 sbookshelf
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All the stars for this gorgeous graphic novel 😍
Anthony
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The best adaptation of A Christmas Carol

Dickens' timeless tale of Christmas renewal and second chances has been often adapted, but many people forget that this story is a ghost story! Kurtzman remembered this and thanks to his work at EC Comics, we have a frightening retelling of the rebirth of Ebenezer Scrooge. If it's been a while since you read this classic, pick up this graphic novel version.
Tom Fitzpatrick
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is Amazing!!

This might be as good as "Muppets Christmas Carol"
True to the original, really entertaining and very well done!
It's a shame it took six decades to be published.
Quentin Wallace
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five Stars PLUS

If you are a fan of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" then you need to read this. A truly great comic adaptation that stays true to the original story and is accented by tremendous art that couldn't fit the story better. This adaptation was set into motion way back in the 1950s by Harvey Kurtzman, but since graphic novels didn't exit then he was never able to get the go ahead to have it published so he only did thumbnails and a few pages, but finally the story was completed by using hi
Paul
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful adaptation of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. What makes it even more enjoyable are Harvey Kurtzman's layouts and pages he created to pitch Marley's Ghost to Simon & Schuster in 1954. It is a tragedy that it would take over three decades for the book publisher to realize the storytelling power of comic books, graphic novels or whatever you choose to call the combination of words and pictures in a progressing sequence that tell a story.

I recommend this graphic novel to ev
Greg
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I love everything about Dickens' A Christmas Carol and I thoroughly enjoy revisiting the story in adaptations. I was initially intrigued by the history beyond this piece but, upon reading it, it didn't come off as that special. I thought the illustrations were great and, as usual, I relished the original Dickens text included, but there wasn't really any twist that made this more than an illustrated version of the story. Particularly because it had a different title, I was expecting a different ...more
Sidney
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully-rendered retelling of A Christmas Carol with artwork that’s true to Kurtzman’s style and faithful to Dickens with a few outstanding flourishes.

There’s real emotion in these panels and some great symbolic moments that render Scrooge’s desperation and isolation to perfection.

The comics-style encounter with the Ghost of Christmas Present’s ignorance and want, represented here in a single figure, is stark and frightening.

Scrooge’s eventual joy is also created in wonderful panels.

Some
Doc
Dec 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-owned
A Christmas classic revived as a graphic novel thanks to the efforts of one MAD man and those that helped.

With concepts and art from Harvey Kurtzman, Marley's Ghost (which I thought was going to be a story about the ghost of Ebenezer's friend facing his own trials before fulfilling his own role in the original story considering the title) was more of a concept in a time when no one would seriously consider creating a real serious graphic novel for which adults could enjoy.

Now over 50 years late
Jack
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Harvey Kurtzman has wanted to do a graphic novel of Dickens' A Christmas Carol since long before there was such a thing as a "graphic novel" was ever a consideration.

Finally, the time was right, and we can enjoy this amazing piece of work. We should all know the story of Scrooge and his redemption, right? When I started this book, I didn't know it was based on A Christmas Carol but quickly glommed on to this face. I are smart sometimes.

So, story aside (which is pretty darn good), the artwork was
Brian
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Christmas Carol is my most read book. I read it or part of it every Christmas. This graphic novel version is brilliant.

Harvey Kurtzman is a legend for me because of his work on my favourite comic of my youth, Mad magazine. It’s sad that he never got Marley’s Ghost published until after his death.

He has captured Dickens novel brilliantly and Scrooge is superbly done.

Christmas isn’t Christmas without A Christmas Carol and this is a new way to enjoy it.
Ralph Wark
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it
A Harvey Kurtzman Xmas Carol

Harvey's passion project, a graphic novel retelling of the classic. Of course everyone knows the plot, and it is well presented, but the art, reminiscent of the old Mad magazine style, which Kurtzman founded, I found I'll fitting for the material. Perhaps I have read too many silly Mad stories in my youth to consider this a serious artistic style, but it didn't work for me.
william purcell
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Very good but not what I wanted

This is a wonderful version of A Christmas Carole. I enjoyed both the art and the pacing. That said, the book is called Marley's Ghost so I was expecting a variation rather than a retelling of a classic story. There is nothing here you have not seen before.
Liz
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
What a delightful way to consume one of the world’s most famous holiday stories. Beautiful artwork, I especially love the stylings of both Marley and the Ghost of Christmas Past. My only complaint is that this is only available digitally. I would love an actual print graphic novel to enjoy every year!
garble
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Dickens turned into a comic strip

This reminded me of the old Classic Comics: Famous books turned into graphic page turners for readers who don’t want much except the plot. Fun but no depth, no invitation to think beyond the obvious central lesson.
Justin Last
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Marley's Ghost stays true to the original text, and the message of the story is enhanced by the wonderful artwork. Nothing will probably ever top A Muppet Christmas Carol for me, but I think I've found my second-favorite version of the Dickens classic in Marley's Ghost. ...more
emma hessay
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

I read this book every Christmas, this year i spotted this graphic novel version and thought I'd give it a try instead. I'm glad I did. I loved the illustrations and of course the story. I will be reading it again.
The Geeky Viking
Nov 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully illustrated adaption of Charles Dickens timeless classic. There's nothing new here in the way that the story is told, but the small touches of humor added in and the gorgeous visuals make this well worth reading, especially with the holidays just around the corner. ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Sex Criminals #2: Come, World
  • Sex Criminals #1: Suzie Down in the Quiet
  • Sex Criminals #3: My Sexual Errors and Misfortunes 2001-Present
  • CREMA (comiXology Originals)
  • Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil
  • Ordinary Girl (The Dark Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Indus Valley Civilization: A History from Beginning to End
  • Black Widow: Deadly Origin
  • Drastic Measures
  • Darkness Falls (The Darkness Trilogy #1)
  • The Jupiter Game: A Close Encounter of the strangest kind.
  • Doctor Who: Molten Heart