Start by marking “Blackbirds” as Want to Read:

Blackbirds

Once upon a time Sydney Tarr and Elliott Vance were friends: fast friends, ride or die, pledge of allegiance, take it to the mat, “friends”. And the fact that Sydney loved her friend more than she should didn’t matter until finally... one unusual and spectacular night, it did. It mattered very much. Still, not every story is a fairy tale is it? Friends do part -- sometimes ...more
Published December 23rd 2016 by Hot Java Lit

To ask other readers questions about Blackbirds, please sign up.
Lily Java Thanks for your kind words and your interest. 'Blackbirds' is a brand new story and other than one minor, secondary character I've written about befor…moreThanks for your kind words and your interest. 'Blackbirds' is a brand new story and other than one minor, secondary character I've written about before, there's no significant relationship to my other work.
Last summer the first part of the novel 'Blackbirds' appeared as one story in a collection of four novellas with a friends to lovers theme called 'Because My Heart Said So'. Since then all four stories have been expanded into full length standalone novels and this is the result of extending my story, 'Blackbirds' with new material.(less)

Start your review of Blackbirds
Musings of A Romance Junkie
Satisfying

This story reads like a long, luxurious soak in the tub. This is organic love that's not rushed but cultivated from a friendship that morphs into something deeper and more emotional than I expected. Sydney and Elliott are two relatable characters whose lives are hardly perfect. Their time together is sometimes upbeat, sometimes solemn, sometimes complicated, but always real.

The symbolism of the blackbirds was a true aha moment for me. Part One was featured in The Friends to Lovers an
Vondetta Carter
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elliot and Sydney were working for a PR firm in NY. Sydney was infatuated with Elliot who was a hot shot in the company. However, a great photo shoot causes their paths to cross. The story is one of how tragedy struck their budding relationship. However, fate and love brought them back together.

Sydney discovers much about herself along the way. Elliot knows that no one will fill the void Sydney left in his life. However, now 8 years later he has to think of someone else as he pursues Sydney agai
Deloris
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
APB Perspective Review:
Four authors got together and wrote a book of Novellas with a tag line written in each story " Because My Heart Said So. " I call their writing style Neo ,Sexy and Soulful.

This book !! I really enjoyed this book ! The author Lily Java is on a journey and I am so proud and happy to come along with her as she writes amazing stories. The story of Sydney and Elliott is unlike anything I have ever read , I like that she tells her stories in a different way. Sometimes it formal
Teresa Mcmillian
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full book made me love this story

I purchased the book of short stories because I loved two of the authors. Blackbirds was my first story by this author and I enjoyed it, but when that full story dropped I didn't want to put it down. I understood the characters more and everything just fell in place for me. Great story.
Rena
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of the BEST books I've read this year! I loved Sydney and Elliot's story. It was so realistic. I often found myself rooting for them throughout the story. I love authors that use great imagery and Lily Java definitely has a way with words. Her descriptions of the characters' feelings did an excellent job of drawing you into the story. I absolutely loved this book and I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
DJ
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Captivating read!

This is the first book I've read by this author but it won't be the last. The characters and story line was very rich and vivid. I didn't know the lead female characters' secret until she told it. Normally these books are so predictable. I had to read the entire book to see the story. It was a wonderful journey. I appreciate the author sharing her talent.
Tina Young
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed...

I enjoyed Lily Java's, "Blackbirds", the completion of Ell and Syd's story. It was great getting their full backstory as well as that for the supporting characters. I definitely wouldn't mind hearing more from this couple in the future.
T
L.S. Bergman
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just loved reading Syd and Elliot's story, and further getting to know this author's writing. Syd and Elliot fell hard for each other years ago, but a host of reasons ended-up derailing their past relationship leading them to part ways. In this light, stumbling into each other again by chance on the New York subway seems more than providential, it feels like fate has dealt them another chance to fix things as they slowly begin to rekindle what never truly died.

Lily Java has a skilled writing
Carolyn
Back to The Basics

This story took me back to the basics of understanding a not so typical relationship story. Lily Java nailed this story dead on. I can see the wheels turning in Sydney's intricate brain. Equally as compelling was Elliott's penchant for knowing and feeling every minute emotional stages of Sydney's persona. I liked that Elliot chose to wait for Sydney to come to grips with her deep seeded love for him and sweet Laura. A few times I was out of sync with his mother. Miranda and som
Gloria
Another Great Story To Add To My Library

Elliott and Sydney's story broke my heart and then put it back together. It showed me that true love lasts forever. It showed me that when/ if that person is the love of your life and you were ment to be together no matter how much time passes by, love will find its way back to you. Life has its lessons and Elliott and Sydney both learned some hard lessons through the years.
Peggy
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Birds of a feather

This is a tale about 'what is mean to be, will be'. Ell was a ladies man who needed to grown up and Syn just helped him do that. Syn has some problems of her own and needed time & love to help her thru them. Overall it was a good story on growth from your 20's to your 30's.
Deirdre Davis
Blackbirds

I enjoyed this story from "Because My Heart Said So". Lily Java has written an inspiring piece with Part 2! It's been nice to see more in the lives of Elliott, Sydney, Laura and Serena. There are strong bonds that bind the second chance at love for Ell & Syd. Good work Ms. Lily, very good work!
Kay Morris
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

Beautiful story about love lost and love found, and all the things that make love worthwhile. The relationship between the two main characters as well as their relationships with the secondary characters are genuine and heartfelt.
Robyn
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was refreshing to read about a real couple, facing real-life issues together. The best part was their honesty with each other and their family. This was my first story by this author but definitely won't be my last. Loved it!
A R
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful

Bought on a whim, read through, couldn't put it down! Sydney and Elliot were perfect for each other. ..working thru personal issues. .Loved this book...A must read..
Michelle
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lily Java’s Blackbirds takes a vivid look into discovering and losing love and the road taken to reunite. Her writing is thought-provoking and profound and layered with a wealth of symbolism. The book cover alone is one of my favorite visual representations of a story. Java incorporates real life issues of post-partum depression, non-consensual intercourse and abortion in a way that is impartial but also offers perspective. Reading Blackbirds felt like watching an artist painting a masterpiece. ...more
Rita
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a little confusing. Reading it from an anthology, think it was cut short. Could have been a great read.
Lee Jones
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blackbirds

Leaving the nest vacant can sometimes be the only way to let the love you know you have inside of you is enough to withstand the separation...........
Funmi Elesha
Nov 14, 2019
Celeste Thompson
Jan 11, 2018
amine
rated it did not like it
Apr 30, 2020
Mar 10, 2017
Mary trabelsi
Jan 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Silent Nights (The Shorts, #7)
  • Not That Kind of Girl (The Shorts, #8)
  • Courtship: A 'Snowflake' Novel
  • Oops!
  • Snowflake (An 'Afterwards' Novel)
  • Set (Them Boys #1)
  • Shu (Them Boys #3)
  • The Love Below: A Prototype Series Glimpse (Devin + Willow)
  • The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2)
  • Last Chance To Love
  • I Think I Might Want You (Love Sisters #3)
  • Because My Heart Said So
  • The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1)
  • Keeping Willow (The Prototype Book 3)
  • Rhyme & Reason
  • Blind Expectations
  • In Black & White
  • Jah (Them Boys #2)
Lily is a freelance writer, blogger, and novelist who writes fiction in numerous genres. When she isn't writing, Lily raises money for arts and cultural organizations or plans special events in iconic landmarks throughout her beloved hometown: New York City. A resident of Brooklyn, Lily is a true ambivert, who enjoys solitude just as much as she likes meeting and talking with other passionate read ...more