Start by marking “Happy Dark Year” as Want to Read:
Happy Dark Year

Happy Dark Year

Cody Wheeler wants to enjoy New Year’s Eve. He wants to catch up with friends he hasn’t seen since going off to college. But his girlfriend, Kendall, is back to throwing fits and nagging him, ruining his break at home. He decides she needs to be taught a lesson. Nothing serious, just a little reminder that she should act her age. Cody, however, gets carried away and doesn’ ...more
Kindle Edition, First, 22 pages
Published January 1st 2017 by Demnation Press

To ask other readers questions about Happy Dark Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy Dark Year

Start your review of Happy Dark Year
Candace Robinson
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a super fun story with horror, fantasy, and contemporary elements intertwined! I just love Demmer’s short stories because they are quick reads but the satisfaction after reading them is the same I feel after reading a full length book!
Dianne
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What are your plans for New Year’s Eve? Cody was planning on chilling out, getting together with friends he hasn’t seen in a while, destressing. It seems his girlfriend isn’t sharing his same enthusiasm and is making some “silly” demands in that whining, ticked off girlfriend way. In a burst of a clearly brainless action, he is determined to teach her a lesson and just so you know, that single action, combined with another at the party will come back to haunt him in a Tsunami of Karma.

Ahhh, gotta love Calv
The Grim Reader
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
It says a lot about a writers work and the pride they have in it when they are prepared to get some kick-ass cover art for their book, even when it is only a short story. At around thirty minutes reading time each, ‘Three Dead Men’ and ‘Happy Dark Year’ are two quick slices of horror.

With ‘Happy Dark Year’ a young couple are on their way to a New Year’s party but constant bickering between the two leads to Cody dumping his girlfriend Kendall at a motel whilst he heads to the party to
Sunshine Somerville
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ha - I feel like this is a cautionary tale for college guys about how to treat women. But I liked how you start inside this guy's head and see very quickly what type of guy he really is. From reading this author's other work, I figured there'd be some monster/paranormal entity that would catch up with him, but I REALLY liked the surprise here. It felt like part of a bigger story, but this was a great little glimpse.
Ashnicole
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m keeping this little review short but sweet 🤗 This was a great short story absolutely loved it, ended perfectly but also had me hooked and wanting more! (In a good way lol)
Amy Schmid
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Yes yes yes! I quite enjoy Demmer’s short stories and this one I devoured like the rest. While this story works perfectly as it is, it could also be expanded on which is part of its allure.
Valerie
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was a nice surprise! From the master of flash fiction comes another great story! Calvin Demmer does it again! He brings to us great characters, plot development and a horrifying situation all within 13 minutes! Really enjoyed this, it’s well worth picking this one up!!
S.J. Budd
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cody Wheeler has had one stressful year and wants nothing more than to relax, forget about his problems, meet up with his buddies for a beer or two. He can't wait to wave out the old year and welcome in the new.

However all his problems seem to be following him, such as his long term girlfriend Kendall Simpson, things haven't been right lately, he just can't put his finger on where it's all going wrong. He tries his best to be the perfect boyfriend but everything he does winds her up.
Sheilah
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recently, another set of short stories by Demmer graced my desk. What I find most interesting about Demmer is the variation in his little stories. Each time I receive a new one, I find they become more original and intriguing than the last.

Happy Dark Year was my favorite of this set. Demmer enjoys creating unfavorable male characters and watching them burn. I have to say I enjoy when these characters get what I feel is coming to them. A surprising twist to this tail. A fantastical, d
Meghan (My World of Books)
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ooooh this short story was so strange and creepy! I’m not quite sure where I thought this was going at the beginning, but it’s certainly not where it ended up. Exactly what I expect from Calvin Demmer; can’t wait to get my hands on more stories!
Theresa Braun
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is another easily digestible story of Demmer's that reads quickly. One of the things this author does really well is he plants details along the way that are important to the grand finale. You don’t necessarily realize it at the time you are reading, but if you look back there are some very interesting tidbits. Sometimes those details are weird and you’re scratching your head, but they’re there for a reason. It’s refreshing that Demmer trusts the reader enough to get those clues and to give ...more
Angel Berry
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
After abandoning his girlfriend, Cody decides to indulge a selfish desire and in the process gets his comeuppance. Nice cover.

I received this story from the author in exhange for an honest review.
HorrorLivez
Anet M
Jun 25, 2019

• Lullaby of Flames
  • The Call of Death
  • Marrow Charm (The Gate Cycle, #1)
  • The Hellbound Heart
  • Find Me (Shatter Me, #4.5, #5.5)
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Apartment 16
  • Untamed Magic (Academy of the Elites #1)
  • Torn (Selfish Myths, #2)
  • Rush: The Beginning (Black Hearts Still Beat, #1)
  • The Other
  • Unite Me (Shatter Me, #1.5, #2.5)
  • The Conqueror Worms
  • Talented (Talented Saga, #1)
  • Hold on to Hope
  • Caged (Talented Saga, #2)
  • Scarlet Huntress
  • Dark Consort (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #2)
Calvin Demmer is the author of The Sea Was a Fair Master and The Town That Feared Dusk. When not writing, he is intrigued by that which goes bump in the night and the sciences of our universe.
“The panic crawled throughout his limbs like a million tiny newborn spiders.” 5 likes