Start by marking “Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds Blow: Where the Cold Wind Blows (Sharing Nature with Children Books)” as Want to Read:

Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds Blow: Where the Cold Wind Blows (Over In ... series)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  112 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Over in the Arctic Animals that live in the Arctic have learned to live where it is very cold and the nights are very long. Children can learn about these marvelous creatures while they count, clap, and sing to the rhythm of the whimsical tune Over in the Meadow. Each animal is identified in the back of the book along with more information about them. Full color. Full desc ...more
Published September 18th 2008 by Dawn Publications (CA) (first published September 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Over in the Arctic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over in the Arctic

Karen
Sep 06, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
My four-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week.

We love Marianne Berkes at our house. Especially Marianne Berkes' "Over in..." books. We have almost all of them. But not the newest one, "Over in the River", or this one. You might think, though, that the "Ocean", the "Jungle", the "Forest" and "Australia" would be enough. Apparently not.

Like all of the "Over in..." books, this one can be sung to the tune of "Over in the Meadow", so it is pretty easy to fall into the rhythm
Jonathan
Jan 17, 2013 Jonathan rated it liked it
Shelves: 566-picturebooks
This is my least favorite of the Over in the Meadow derivatives created by Marianne Berkes. Sometimes the text tries too hard to stick to the "meadow" theme, and some of the rhyme choices are a stretch. The illustrations, while interesting in their own right, don't achieve the level of mastery and fascination that Jeanette Canyon had in her collaborations with the same author. On the plus side, the book presents a surprisingly through overview of arctic animals and includes enrichment materials ...more
Peyton Bell
Nov 08, 2016 Peyton Bell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book simply goes through ten different animals that live in the arctic and what they like to do.
This book is so super cute! I think it would be a great and fun way to introduce students to different animals in different places.
I would read this book aloud and perhaps maybe the whole series and have each student have a specific country and do some research on the different animals and we can make a class book about all the different countries' animals.
Miss Sarah
this entry in the series features arctic animals and parents counting from one to ten with each child or children mimicking the parents sound or action. Featured animals are polar bear, arctic hare, walrus, arctic fox, white whale, seal, snowy owl, snow goose, wolverine, and a wolf. length is preschool and up.
Vicki
A great book to share new vocabulary such as artic, tundra, etc. Fun to sing and in addition the book is a counting book, which the children loved guessing what number came next. A bit of an I spy book with additional creatures hiding in the illustrations, great for a one on one read. Of course very repetitive text.
Erin
Jan 30, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
Cute counting book with delightful pictures of arctic animals. I read this for my storytime group and the kids enjoyed doing the actions along with the baby animals. I also like how in the back of the book Berkes gives additional information on each animal as well as tips for using the book.
Angie
Oct 08, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kate - for the IPY list
A great cold weather version of "Over in the Meadow"! This would be great for a cold weather storytime.
this book also has some great information about the Arctic in the back and some extension activities from the author and illustrator.
Meg McGregor
Sep 05, 2013 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-lexi
Absolutely wonderfully painted drawings and witty text take your little ones to the Arctic to watch the animals there in their natural environment!

It makes me want to go to the Arctic more every time I read and sing this book to my little ones!
Lindsay Michael
Aug 26, 2014 Lindsay Michael rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book because not only was it helping kids with counting and numbers as well as reading, but the book also gave facts about all the animals that were in it. So I feel that this book helps children that read it in more ways than one.
Tina Bartholoma
"arctic animals, counting, told to song ""over in the meadow,"" fact pages in back"
Amy Lohse
Jan 15, 2017 Amy Lohse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: around-the-world
My 3 year-old read this several times with me. Nice rhymes and illustrations. She liked searching the pictures for animals and learning their names.
Mar 21, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: ari-s-books
My 3 yo. daughter loves this series of books, and she's particularly a fan of the "find the hidden animal" feature.
Dayna
Aug 07, 2009 Dayna rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
Cute counting book with illustrations all created using layers of cut paper. It was fun to go back and find all the hidden characters. Written in rhyme.
Missy
Mar 23, 2012 Missy rated it really liked it
Shelves: little-guy-books
My four-year-old never lost interest, and went back to make sure he found all the hidden bonus animals. I appreciated that the rhymes weren't too forced and klunky. Informative!
Teri
Feb 27, 2012 Teri rated it really liked it
Super fun book-to-sing with lots of extras--you learn the names of the baby artic animals, you find hidden animals on each page, there is a little write-up in the back about each animal. GREAT!
Karyn
The rhythm does not flow the way the original Down in the Meadow rhyme does. Beautiful pictures and extra fun with hidden animals.
Trace
Jun 21, 2011 Trace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
One of our new favorite books! Teaches children numbers 1-10 in a catchy, rhyming fashion. Beautiful illustrations, too.
Ecl  Storytellers
A version of 'Over in the Meadow'
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2011
Bea
Bea rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2017
Melina Simpson
Melina Simpson rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Cody
Cody rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2013
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Jess Alexander
Jess Alexander rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Tiffany T
Tiffany T rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2017
Amber Skoglund
Amber Skoglund rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2017
K. Davis
K. Davis rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2015
Loanis Menendez-cuesta
Loanis Menendez-cuesta rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2009
Kaitlyn
Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Over In ... series (6 books)
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • Over in Australia: Amazing Animals Down Under
  • Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme (Sharing Nature with Children Books)
  • Over in a River: Flowing Out to the Sea