Start by marking “The Bone Keeper” as Want to Read:
The Bone Keeper

The Bone Keeper

What if the figure that haunted your nightmares as child, the myth of the man in the woods, was real?

He'll slice your flesh.
Your bones he'll keep.

Twenty years ago, four teenagers went exploring in the local woods, trying to find to the supposed home of The Bone Keeper. Only three returned.

Published March 8th 2018 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Bone Keeper, please sign up.
Cole Walker
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Dita
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Creepy good!

Luca Veste is well-known for his Murphy and Rossi series but The Bone Keeper is a stand-alone book and a heck of a thrill ride.

The book opens with four children entering a tunnel where legend has it The Bone Keeper lives. Cue creepy music and terrifying song about keeping bones and stripping flesh. But it's all just childhood lore, right?

Twenty years later the first victim shows up singing the same creepy song and missing strips of flesh. The victi
Susan
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
I have never read anything by Luca Veste before, but have heard his crime books are popular and, as they are set in Liverpool and I am insanely fond of the Beatles, anything set in my favourite city has to be worth investigating. “The Bone Keeper,” is a stand- alone novel and seemed a good place to start. The story opens with four children in a wood, daring themselves to go through a disused tunnel which is said to house a local legend, known as ‘the Bone Keeper.’ Four children go into the tunne ...more
Linda Strong

He'll snatch you up
And make you weep
He'll slice your flesh
Your bones he'll keep.

This is the stuff of every child's nightmares. But what happens when the nightmare continues as you become an adult? Is it a myth .. or is it real?

The opening chapter describes how 20 years ago, four young teenagers wandered into the woods, daring themselve
Sara
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A promising thriller - a serial killer bringing to life an urban legend, that unfortunately for me fell a little flat.

The Bone Keeper opens with four children entering a disused tunnel where the legendary 'Bone Keeper' is suppose to live. Only three come out the other side. We then move onto a stranded woman, found wandering the streets, singing a song about the Bone Killer, who she claims abducted her. It's DC Louise Henderson wh
The Book Review Café
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes as an avid reader of crime thrillers I could kick myself, some authors are on my radar but I never find the time to get to their books due to an overwhelming TBR pile. Lucas Veste is one such author and the reason I’m kicking myself? I picked up The Bone Keeper expecting a run of the mill crime thriller, but boy was I wrong this book has all the ingredients I love in a crime thriller, but it also holds an element of surprise as this book actually gave me the heebie-jeebies with its cre ...more
Christine
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Luca Veste is a crime writer to watch. The Bone Keeper is his first standalone book and a departure from his Murphy and Rossi series. Fantastic, I say. The Bone Keeper is where he truly makes his mark. This proves he is one of the best, with an ability to create a best selling horror-tastic page-turner. He scores full marks from me.

The Bone Keeper is a myth. A horror story children tell each other to scare themselves. Something lurking on the edge of our subconscious. A nightmare. Th
Kat Dietrich
The Bone Keeper by Luca Veste is a crime thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Sourcebooks/Landmark, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis:
The Bone Keeper is a myth that has been around Liverpool for decades. A boogeyman to frighten children to keep them out of the woods. A monster that has been blamed for almost every missing person in the last 30 years.

W
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Bone Keeper is the latest book from Luca Veste, the author of the Murphy & Rossi series. I was more than a little excited to be able to read a very early copy of this one last year and I can finally share a review with you all.

The Bone Keeper has one of the creepiest openings I’ve read in a while. I don’t tend to scare easily while reading, but there is something threatening in those first few pages that made me uncomfortable and really set the tone for the rest of the book.<
Crime by the Book
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5 stars for this chilling police procedural! (Yes, getting very specific with my star ratings for this one haha.) This book is part urban legend, part classic detective story. If you're a fan of slow-burning, layered mysteries, this one will likely be up your alley; though it can be a touch too familiar in some respects, this is overall an engrossing, chilling book that will work for fans of police procedurals with horror touches.

Read my full review on the CBTB blog! http://crimebythebook.com/blog/2019/1...
Book Addict Shaun
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Luca Veste’s books, not just because they are set in Liverpool, but because they are truly gripping crime fiction books. He also has a fantastic podcast with Steve Cavanagh, Two Crime Writers and a Microphone, that I very highly recommend you check out. It is hilarious but also hugely entertaining and informative for book fans. Anyway, enough about how much I love Luca, his books and his podcast and on to why I enjoyed The Bone Keeper so much.

When I received this book a few m
Heidi
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I love the theme of including urban myths in contemporary mysteries, so as soon as I read the premise of The Bone Keeper, I knew I had to read it! The Bone Keeper refers to a sinister presence in a local woodland near Liverpool, who is rumoured to steal children, kill them and keep their bones: “He’ll slice your flesh. Your bones he’ll keep.” Creepy or what???? I remember similar legends in our area that had us utterly terrified but were a good deterrent to keep us out of certain places in the n ...more
BookwormDH
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Keeper, by Luca Veste.

BLURB

He'll slice your flesh.
Your bones he'll keep.

Now, a woman is found wandering the streets of Liverpool, horrifically injured, claiming to have fled the Bone Keeper. Investigating officer DC Louise Henderson must convince sceptical colleagues that this urban myth might be flesh and blood
Dana-Adriana B.
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Bone Keeper is a horror story to scare children, or is it not? A great thriller, a page turner. It is my first book from Luca Veste, but it is not going to be the last.
Thanks Netgalley for this nice story.
Caroline Mitchell
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, thriller
If you go down to the woods tonight you're in for a big surprise...
You certainly are with The Bone Keeper, one of the most enjoyable crime thrillers I've read this year. I'll make no bones about it, (pardon the pun) but I LOVE a creepy thriller and I knew right from the first page that The Bone Keeper was right up my street. From the deliciously eerie cover to the poem on the inside page, my hackles were rising from the very first page. Luca Veste is a great storyteller and he does not hol
Paul
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
The Bone Keeper – A Brilliant Scouse Noir Thriller

The King of Scouse Noir, Luca Veste, who has become well known in recent years for his Merseyside Police Thrillers that centre around DI Murphy and DS Rossi, is now back with a standalone thriller. Once again using Liverpool and Merseyside as the backdrop to this excellent thriller, not only a thriller but a brilliant thriller built around a serial killer.

Louise Henderson is a detective constable in the Merseyside Police a
Stephen Clynes
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
All over the country, children are warned away from certain areas, with tales of horror and the bogeyman. These stories are told to keep the children safe until they become street-wise. But what if those stories told to control children were true and the bogeyman really did exist?

The Bone Keeper is a mixture of horror and your regular, police procedural crime thriller. The story features real locations around Liverpool and Merseyside. As Luca puts it…

“All the locations fo
Jypsy
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a story begins with children playing and singing something creepy, I usually put the book down, and walk away. I decided, however, to read The Bone Keeper. Was it creepy? Yes. Do I want to walk in the woods by myself? No. Was reading this a mistake? Probably. But, it's actually an intriguing police procedural murder mystery. Serial killer and all that jazz. It's twisty and dark. It's everything you would expect it to be. If you like a good creepy read, this book is for you. Thanks to NetGal ...more
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-ARC through NetGalley from the publishers at Sourcebooks Landmark. Trigger warnings: death, torture, body horror, blood, gore, rape, necrophilia, abduction, assault, anxiety, mental illness.

The Bone Keeper is the local urban legend of Liverpool, stories told over generations about an otherworldly figure who kidnaps children in the woods and flays the flesh from their bones. When Caroline staggers out of the forest with grievous injuries and claims to have escaped
Emma
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
**Four and a half stars**

Look at that cover! That stunning cover plus that incredible sounding blurb made The Bone Keeper a must read for me. This is the third book by author Luca Veste that I have read, previously having devoured book one (Dead Gone) and book two (The Dying Place) in his Murphy and Rossi series (unfortunately both were before the blog so I have no reviews to share. I really MUST find some time to read books three, four and five!).

The Bone Keeper, however
Stephanie ((Strazzybooks))
100th book of the year!!! 🎉 3.5/5

“The Bone Keeper’s coming. The Bone Keeper’s real. He doesn’t stop. He doesn’t feel. He’ll snatch you up. And make you weep. He’ll slice your flesh. Your bones he’ll keep.”

The Bone Keeper was a random find on my B&N birthday shopping trip.
It was an interesting and creepy read, best suited for an atmospheric fall night.

“That’s the thing about evil. It never announces itself. Just festers and lives among the normal. The clean.”

The story follows lo
Noelle
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well bend me over and smack my arse! THIS BOOK! When I first saw the cover – Eeeeeeek… #MultipleCovergasms ..and now after finishing the book I can add #Bookgasms to that description! And this is just going to add to my “she’s a weirdo” label- but the FEEL of the proof cover… OH- MY-FRIGGIN-GOD… so soft, great texture…ok, I am enjoying myself just a little too much. I’ll get on with my review before I forget it, roll over and have a fag!

Set in Liverpool, the reader faces fear, the pa
Breakaway Reviewers
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
When urban myth becomes frighteningly real!

The story starts with four children playing in the woods in the outskirts of Liverpool, looking for the home of the fabled and frightening Bone Keeper. Sadly, only three of them return!

DC Louise Henderson and DS Paul Shipley are investigating a serious assault on a woman found wandering the streets of Melling. She has been beaten, stabbed and strips of her skin have been ripped off! And so, the myth that is the Bone Keeper raises
Julie Lacey
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a creepy crime thriller.
A woman is found walking the streets suffering from bad stab wounds. When the Police speak to witnesses, they say she was singing a song while struggling to get away from the woods.
This song chills the bones of those in the area as it’s the Bonekeepers song.
The Police find it hard to believe he is real but as bodies are found buried in the woods, they have to accept he’s either real or someone is copying him.
Soon more people are dead and Louise and Shipley fac
Claire
The Bone Keeper’s coming. The Bone Keeper’s real. He doesn’t stop. He doesn’t feel. He’ll snatch you up And make you weep. He’ll slice your flesh. Your bones he’ll keep.

What a chilling opening! A childhood dare gone wrong along with a sinister rhyme. This opening chapter definitely sets the level of creepiness for this tales. I’m one of those people who gets images in their head as they read and for me, there was a permanent dark cloud over Merseyside.

Now DC Louise Anders
Elaine Tomasso
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK Fiction for an advance copy of The Bone Keeper, a stand alone novel set in Liverpool.

Caroline is found stabbed and battered on a street. Her memories of what has happened to her are hazy but she is sure The Bone Keeper is responsible. DC Louise Henderson and DS Paul Shipley aren't sure what to make of this as the Bone Keeper is a local urban myth until it isn't when more bodies are discovered.

I enjoyed The Bone Kee
Helen (TBC)
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, tbc
When a local myth becomes a chilling reality and past nightmares become present terrors you know that you're in for a treat.

Difficult to review without spoilers but this is a dark and creepy read that will have you checking that you've locked the doors and will keep you turning just one more page. It's tense and well written but you need to keep your wits about you as the changing between timeline and characters does get a bit distracting at times. I would have liked to like the main character
Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Keeper is a British police procedural that opens very strongly, and is initially flavored with a dash of urban (really suburban or village, rather] horror/legend about the death-bringing Bone Keeper who lives in the woods and...well, you get the idea.

The first three chapters are great--atmospheric and creepy--but then it descends into a mess of telling instead of showing, reveals that are obvious from the go, and a conclusion that I think is supposed to be unsettling but I f
Craig Sisterson
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, crime
Liverpool crime writer Luca Veste takes a step away from his really good DI Murphy and DS Rossi series with this creepy standalone, which melds local mythology and 'boogieman' stories with a dark and twisted contemporary police procedural. Murphy and Rossi may be offstage in this one, but many of the things I love about that series are present here too: smooth writing, twisted plotlines, a page-turning pace and narrative drive, and the way Veste paddles in the darker end of the crime pool withou ...more
Dita
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy good!

K.
Trigger warnings: murder, blood, violence, gore, home invasion, rape, death of a family member, fire.

3.5 stars.

I was pretty much sold on this based on the cover alone. It's so creepy and weird that I had to pick it up and find out what it was about. Course, I then promptly forgot all about it for like 4 months, but whatever.

For the most part, this was great. It was full of twists and turns and creepiness. The lead detective has a mysterious past that clearly ties into the case somehow. It kep
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Amulet (The Midnight Eye Files #1)
  • The Silent Girls (Detective Anna Gwynne, #1)
  • Merciless (DI Kate Fletcher #2)
  • Dead Girls
  • Keeper (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells, #2)
  • The Shout
  • Thicker Than Blood - The Complete Andrew Z. Thomas Series
  • The Faceless One
  • Blood Mist (DCI Eve Clay, #1)
  • The Shadow Cartel (Dominic Grey, #4)
  • Hunted (DS Heckenburg, #5)
  • Blood Symmetry (Alice Quentin, #5)
  • Darkness Falling (Forever Twilight #1)
  • The Dead Ground (Paula McGuire, #2)
  • The Society of Blood (Obsidian Heart #2)
  • Asylum (Martine LeDuc, #1)
  • The Border: The Complete Series
  • Dying Breath (Detective Lucy Harwin, #2)
Luca Veste is a writer of Italian and Liverpudlian heritage, married with two young daughters, and one of nine children. He studied psychology and criminology at university in Liverpool. He is the author of the Murphy and Rossi series, which includes DEAD GONE, THE DYING PLACE, BLOODSTREAM, and THEN SHE WAS GONE.

Part psychological thriller, part police procedural, his books follow the detective p