Start by marking “The Names Of Dead Girls (Canaan Crime, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Names Of Dead Girls (Canaan Crime, #3)

The Names Of Dead Girls

(Canaan Crime #3)

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Eric Rickstad delivers the electrifying sequel to The Silent Girls, and features once again detectives Frank Rath and Sonja Test as they track a depraved killer through rural Vermont.

Every murder tells a story. Some stories never end . . .

In a remote northern Vermont town, college student Rachel Rath is being watched. She ca
Published September 12th 2017 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Names Of Dead Girls, please sign up.

Amy
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arcs
Last month I read the first book in this series, The Silent Girls and really enjoyed it so I’ve been looking forward to The Names of Dead Girls and was really excited to start it. If you haven’t read the first book, here’s your warning to stop reading now because there will be some mild spoilers for the first book.

Things pick up almost immediately where they ended in the last book, Rath is on edge knowing that Preacher is out of prison and taunting him with phone calls and veiled threats. His d
J.D. Barker
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Twisted and disturbing, you'll wake with THE NAMES OF DEAD GIRLS on your mind long after putting this book down.

My thanks to the author and publisher for an advance copy of his wonderful novel.
Glen
Nov 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, mystery
I won this novel in a goodreads drawing.

A young lady thinks somebody is watching her all the time. It turns out, her parents were killed by a notorious mass murderer. Her police detective uncle has tried to protect her for her entire life.

Then the phone calls start...

Not bad,but I don't feel the need to seek out Canaan Crime #1 or 2, either.
Mary  Carrasco
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in Eric Rickstad's Canaan Crime series and I've enjoyed reading them all. I recommend it to mystery lovers although I would suggest starting from the beginning of the series as much of this book ties in with the previous ones.
Michelle Willms
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, mystery, thriller
This is a mystery that couples a parent’s worst nightmare with brutal crimes committed upon young girls. As a detective races to find a released murderer in order to protect his daughter, he finds that there might be more than one mystery he needs to solve before his worst nightmare finally be laid to rest.

This is a relentless read, the pace is rapid-fire, with high tension and drama. Most of the characters are vividly created, with a villain that is chilling and believable. The crimes mentioned
Gatorman
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent sophomore entry in the Canaan crime series involving Frank Rath and his obsession with Ned Preacher, the psychopath who murdered his sister and her husband years ago who's now free from prison. The story includes a search for the person responsible for the murder of another girl found strangled, while other elements from The Silent Girls come into play. It's a nicely complicated police procedural that benefits from Rickstad's tight writing and complex characters. It's definitely a cut ...more
Eric
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: booktopia-2018
This was a good read. Enough crimes and suspects to keep your head spinning, but the loose ends all tie up satisfactorily in the end.

I have one quibble in the depiction of the law. In the story, a juvenile on trial for murder in Vermont is told she would be tried as an adult and would have to go to prison "in Oklahoma". What? The murder would have been a state offense, not federal, and therefore, if convicted, she would have served time in a Vermont prison.

I think sometimes people don't realize
Mort
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved THE SILENT GIRLS and I was worried that I might be expecting too much from this one, but it turned out to be another superb read. This guy can write and his stories are never predictable, so he ticks all the right boxes.

Retired detective Frank Rath adopted his niece, Rachel, when she was only six months old and her parents were brutally murdered. Now, sixteen years later, Ned Preacher gets paroled. And he's set his eyes on Rachel, who has left home for college.
Soon after Preacher's relea
Cheryl
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by this author. I can guarantee that it will not be the last book I read by Mr. Rickstad. This book really can be read as a standalone novel. Yet, if you are like me and have not read the first book, The Silent Girls, you will be picking up a copy afterwards.

Instantly, the intensity was cranked up and it only got better the further I got into the story. The dynamics between Rath and Preacher was very personal. This up'd the ante as Preacher knew how to push Ra
Liz
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a good mystery/thriller and this certainly is one. It is a fast-paced, well-plotted story that kept me interested start to finish. I especially liked the 'good guys' ... Rath, Test and Grout. Can't wait to see what they will be up to in their next book.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Names of Dead Girls by Eric Rickstad is a highly recommended police procedural/thriller. Detectives Frank Rath and Sonja Test work together again to track a depraved killer through rural Vermont and into Canada. This is a sequel to The Silent Girls, but can be read as a stand alone novel.

Rachel Rath is now a college student and she us being watched. Frank Rath and Rachel are sure the man who is watching her is the same man who killed her parents when she was a baby. Ned Preacher is out on pa
Jk
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads, rickstad
I received a free uncorrected proof copy of this book via the Goodreads Giveaways program and would like to thank everyone who made that possible!

I loved the first book in this series and this one was every bit as good if not better. Both are fast-paced and suspenseful with lots of twists and turns that keep you guessing until the end...and the ending of this one is so good! I also love the idyllic Vermont setting. There were a few minor typos here and there but nothing major and hopefully they
Mia Siegert
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a very belated review as life got in the way (two knee surgeries, deadlines, getting married (yeah, you read that right!)). I wish I was able to post this sooner to further express how much I adored the novel.

Eric Rickstad’s THE NAMES OF DEAD GIRLS was a haunting sequel to his hugely successful THE SILENT GIRLS. As a reader, it’s a delightful page-turner. As a writer, it’s a textbook along with everything he’s written. I’m going to try to avoid spoilers, but read with caution. There mig
Drew Yanno
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Eric Rickstad has written another tour de force with The Names of Dead Girls. I've been a big fan since his first book (Reap) and he has never disappointed me. While we all probably get visions of maple syrup and ski resorts whenever we think of Vermont, Rickstad takes us deeper into the woods and behind closed doors to reveal that the baser instincts that are uncontrollable in some people find their way into the Green Mountain state as well. His evil doers in TNODG are both frightening and dist ...more
Tim Mcgurrin
Sep 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
How can a book this terrible get 4.5 stars on Goodreads? I found the premise unbelievably dumb from page one. A rapist, killer and probable serial killer is freed from jail and almost immediately threatens the daughter of his victims' and another victim from his past. The daughter is stupid personified, refusing take even the most basic precautions to protect herself from harm. After 100 pages of ridiculous plot development and poor writing, I want to throw this book into the fireplace.

Nikki
May 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really didn't enjoy rhis book. I found it flat and the characters weren't engaging or interesting. It is a huge pity as I wanted to enjoy it
Il confine dei libri
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: letti
Amiche del Confine,
il week end si avvicina e per chi non è ancora in ferie, o quelle ferie le ha già finite, è sempre un motivo di giubilo!
E allora cosa ne pensate se vi proponessi una lettura per allietarlo?
Oggi vi parlerò di un thriller targato Newton Compton, che ringrazio tanto: “La donna senza nome" di Eric Rickstad.

Frank Rath è un ex detective che ha lasciato la polizia quando ha trovato i corpi della sorella e del cognato martoriati in maniera macabra.
Il serial killer, autore di quel qua
ariesdollface
NOTE: I received this book free through the Goodreads First Reads program.

The Names of Dead Girls is a good book. Not great, but good, and I enjoyed it. As I reflected on what I might write in a review, I thought immediately of why, every now and again, I’ll still watch an episode, or two, of the television show Law and Order. Although it’s a show that’s been around longer than I’ve been an adult, they have simply nailed the format. It’s a good formula and as the idiom goes, “If it ain’t broke,
Barbara
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5/5.

The Names of Dead Girls is the third book in Eric Rickstad's Canaan Crime series, and the sequel to The Silent Girls. Picking up immediately where The Silent Girls left off, Ned Preacher has been released from prison for the double murder of Frank Rath's sister and her husband. Rath's niece, Rachel, has noticed a strange man following her, and Rath is convinced that Preacher intends to hurt her next. When an old victim goes missing and Detective Sonja Test discovers another body in the sno
Texan Holly Reads
The Names Of Dead Girls is the story of what happens when a murderer is released back into the world and everything slowly starts falling apart for the families. Rachel Rath is a college student in a small, Northern Vermont town when the killer of her parents, Preacher is released from jail. Her uncle, Detective Frank Rath knew this day was coming but he wasn't prepared for the phone calls that Preacher would make to him, making threats against Rachel and what he would do to her.

With other girls
Maggie Magsisreadingagain
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to @williammorrowbooks and @goodreads for this great police procedural thriller, which I won in a recent giveaway. All I can say is, well done, Mr. Rickstad, well done! A solid 4.5/5!! You managed to keep me intrigued and guessing right until the end. The twists at the end made for a very satisfying read. This was a great sequel to The Silent Girls, and I’m looking forward to backtracking through the timelines to read Lie in Wait.
Synopsis: in a remote northern Vermont town, college stude
Shelly
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mysteries and thrillers have always been at the top of my favorite list for reading material. Unfortunately, it's made me quite numb to a lot of the thrill that authors write. This book is an exception. Eric Rickstad had my skin crawling very early on in the book (in a GOOD way!). I haven't read the first of the series yet - but it's on my purchase list so I feel like I need to go back and read it; then re-read The Names of Dead Girls to get the full-effect. I'm guessing I will be up for days be ...more
Margaret Tidwell
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
FTC: I received a free copy of this book from Parters In Crime Tours in exchange for my honest review. I received no other compensation and the opinions expressed in this review are one hundred percent true and my own.

The Names of Dead Girls by Eric Rickstad was a great book. This is the second book in this series and the first one that I have read. That being said I didn’t feel lost and I was able to pick right up with what was going on. If you want to read both books, I would read them in orde
Kelly (Simply Kelina) C.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it

I was sent a copy of The Names of Dead Girls in part of a blog tour. My ratings and reviews will be my own personal opinions and are in no way influenced by publishers or authors who may have sent me books to review.

This book is the second in the series, but can be read as a standalone. I did not read book one prior to jumping in. The first few pages were confusing since I did not know the characters from the previous storyline, but the author quickly fills you in on their past. It was easy to
James Ziskin
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A menacing winter fog blankets northern Vermont in Rickstad's taut cat-and-mouse procedural. Beautifully written with original language and imagery, The Names of Dead Girls is a chilling page-turner. The superb cast of characters rings so very true, from the conflicted mom police detective to the troubled Rachel Rath to the anthropomorphic, wet fog. Atmospheric, empathetic, and addictive.

In The Names of Dead Girls, Eric Rickstad's brooding, complex hero, Frank Rath, matches wits with a resurrect
Lindsey
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow!!! What a read! I couldn't wait for this to release after I finished the first book. The way he writes keeps you guessing until the end! There are so many different things going on and when you think you have it figured out the author will flip the switch on you and make you second-guess yourself! I love how in both books you're reading about two different murder and it could be many different suspects! The last two-three chapters are my favorite because he wraps everything together so beaut ...more
Natalie
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have so much to say about this book.

It is well crafted and considerate. While violence against women is a theme it is never too grotesque or gratuitous. An assault victim myself, I found this book more intriguing than triggering. That being said, the horror/thriller elements are in full effect and Rickstad lives up to the high praise of writing books in the same vein of True Detective. His villains are sharp and complex, their agendas multifaceted and unnerving.

Legitimately, my only criticis
Ruthy lavin
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was very excited to start this second novel in the Frank Rath series, by Eric Rickstad.
It didn't disappoint!
I found myself willing the pages along so I could find out what happened next, it was so well written, with just the right amount of twists, turns and unexpected surprises.
I adored The silent girls, his first novel in the series, and I worried the second wouldn't be as good - but if anything, it was better.
If you love dark crime thrillers then this is for you. A bit Twin Peaksy, and so
Vince O'Neil
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rickstad writes some of the best thrillers out there today in my humble opinion. I enjoyed this one immensely. His descriptions of Vermont make me feel as if I know it well, despite having never been there. I literally couldn’t put this one down. The characters are really well done and the story moves along at a pretty solid pace throughout. Definitely looking forward to more in this series.

4.5/5
Kristin (Always With a Book)
Full review to be posted on blog.

*Am loving this series!!!
*Addictive, gritty, haunting - DEVOURED this book!
*Highly suggest reading The Silent Girls (book 2) before this one - it contains mild spoilers and picks up right where the other one left off.
*Starts w/ bang - doesn't let up...short chapters, gritty writing, atmosphere all help to ramp up tension and suspense.
*Great character development.
*Can't wait for next book!
Eric Rickstad is the New York Times, USA Today, and International bestselling author of WHAT REMAINS OF HER, one of the most addictive and creepy reads of the summer of 2018. Now on sale.

Praise for WHAT REMAINS OF HER

"Atmospheric, moving, and deep. As much a complex, beautifully wrought meditation on love and family, as it is a relentless mystery to keep you riveted page after haunting page." —

Canaan Crime (3 books)
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime, #1)
  • The Silent Girls (Canaan Crime, #2)