Start by marking “Sleep Like the Dead: A DCI Lorimer Novel” as Want to Read:
Sleep Like the Dead: A DCI Lorimer Novel

Sleep Like the Dead: A DCI Lorimer Novel (DCI Lorimer #8)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  350 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
There’s a hitman in Glasgow: unpaid and angry, he’s decided to settle his own debts…

Marianne Brogan can’t sleep. She’s plagued by a nightmare: someone in the shadows, whispering threats, stalking her every move. To make matters worse, Marianne can’t get hold of her brother, Billy. Despite knowing some shady characters from Glasgow’s underworld, Billy’s always been there fo
Published September 12th 2017 by Witness Impulse (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Like the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep Like the Dead

books are love
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed that there were plots within the plots. The characters are very complex.

Favorite character: DCI Lorimer and Detective Constable Frothy. Solly comes in close as well. Why? They have drive and compassion. Are smart and kind. Empathize and are fair. They want to get justice no matter where it leads and are blind to any prejudices that may be there. It is about getting justice for the victim and finding the truth.

Lorimer and his staff are on the hunt for a killer. But it seems that there ar
Wendy
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds like Glasgow is a chilling place to live! (I've been there and love it). Alex Gray, a woman, has written a series of books which are to Glasgow as Ian Rankin is to Edinburgh. Well thought out story. As it says on the back cover: "There is a hitman on the streets of Glasgow: unpaid and angry, he's decided to settle his own debts. As the hitman plans a bloody ransom to get his fee, the race is on to find out just who hired him - and who's next on the list." This is my first book by this aut ...more
Jenifer Mohammed
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hard-boiled
This was an intriguing mystery that contained interesting and sympathetic characters. The storyline did seem to go off on tangents but then the threads were carefully pulled back together. A lot of people had a lot of secrets in this story and there was a definite poignancy to some of them. Great whodunit with lots of red herrings!
Suzanne
This is a re-issue of a book published in 2011, now as an ebook, and one in a series of DCI Lorimer tales. It is my first with the series and with the author, Alex Gray. I was surprised at the spare writing style and short chapters. I had expected something a bit more descriptive, as I have come to expect of British police procedurals. Perhaps the Scottish nature caused the shift in style of this series. While the story itself was fine, it didn't pull me in enough. I wasn't fully engaged with an ...more
Alison Cairns
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt this was a better read than the last few - through them all I want to keep up with the Lorimers and their friends Rosie and Solomon, and this story brought more of the wow factor back with the story involving the characters. Working my way through Alex Gray's books, as I've missed them until now.
Wendy Jakob
Not really a who dunnit? but more of a how and why and how the police put together the evidence and bring the culprits to justice. If you're after a thriller that keeps you guessing this wouldn't be it but if you enjoy a gritty read with rounded characters and are a fan of police detective stories you'll probably enjoy it.
Suzanne
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DCI William Lorimer works the streets of Glasgow in a hard hitting Series. With his now friend, and profiler, Solomon Brightman, they try to solve the grizzly murders found in the Scottish city .. Really strong characterisation and the storylines are all different and well paced. The personal lives of these two men are also really well developed, and their continuum comes across as 'thought out' and not just as an afterthought. Only a few more and I'll be up to date on the whole Series.
Elizabeth Findlay
Excellent from begining to end
Gary Van Cott
Lizzie Hayes
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘Sleep like the Dead’ by Alex Gray
Published by Sphere, 22 December 2011. ISBN: 978-0-7515-4379-7

The shooting of thirty-seven year-old Kenneth Scott divorced, no children living in a quiet suburb of Glasgow, seems motiveless – even the victim has a surprised look on his face. And disbelief from those who knew him, ‘such an ordinary bloke’ seems to be the census of opinion - it must have been a mistake!

Investigating is Detective Chief Inspector William Lorimer’s team and his new Detective Constabl
Rog Harrison
I realised when I started to read this that I had read it before. However I must not have noted it in goodreads. Alex Gray is a good story teller but for me her characters just do not come to life. This is an interesting story but I am afraid Chief Inspector Lorimer seems like a cardboard cutout.
Bev Taylor
Oct 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this author is now top of my list!

cannot wait to meet lorimer again

just one question - why did the not check the reason for the divorce? they might have got to a conclusion more quickly

go for it!

bev
Charlotte
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A somewhat slow- moving but more personal instalment in the DCI Lorimer series. Moving life events in opposition to each other occur in the lives of Lorimer and Brightman and are juxtaposed to great effect.
Simon Gosden
Apr 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another DCI Lorimer case set in the city of Glasgow. A hitman kills his target and then finds the man who is supposed to make the payment has vanished. DCI Lorimer finds himself and a team in a race against time to halt the killer and ave the day.
Richard Thompson
An enjoyable enough read-aloud. Billy Brogan hires a hit man (a former army sniper he met during his own army days) to kill his sister's abuse stalker husband, and things start to go spectacularly wrong from there. Hard to know who the hero is in this one...
Andrea
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scotland, mystery
I'm really enjoying this series of mysteries and if I'm not careful I'll read all of her books in one gulp!
Jack
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DCI Lorimer is investigating the shooting of a very ordinary man, which turns out to be more complex than expected. Lots of interesting characters in this Glaswegian crime thriller.
Newt McCourt
Another good book by gray. This time I was waiting on the many twists which didn't come but it was a good plot good story and a strange outcome but enjoyed it all the same
Chris Edwards
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Plot is sluggish and obvious, characters are flat and boring. And the city of Glasgow, does not come alive as suggested by other reviewers. Needs more spark.
Graham Drysdale
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is really rather good!!
Pam
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've not read anything by this Author before, but I shall certainly read more now, I really enjoyed it.
David
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Still quite hooked on this series.
Louise Smith
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me ages to get into this book, but I ended up really enjoying it.
Melissa
Nov 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Safe and predictable.
Michelle Nangle
Another fantastic book from Alex Gray.

A few twists and turns and a very sad part at the end that I did not expect.

Can't wait to read to next book.
Donna MacRae
Interesting twists and turns in this book. Certainly kept me interested to the end.
Irene Whitehead
Oct 13, 2013
Shona Stewart
Jan 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Cradle to Grave (DI Marjory Fleming #6)
  • Random (Narey & Winter, #1)
  • Jacquot and the Angel (Daniel Jacquot, #3)
  • A Fear Of Dark Water (Jan Fabel, #6)
  • The Death of a Mafia Don (Michele Ferrara, #3)
  • Deity (Damen Brook, #3)
  • Mosaic
  • Chasers
  • The Blue Demon (Nic Costa, #8)
  • Web of Deceit
  • Good People

DCI Lorimer (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Never Somewhere Else (Lorimer #1)
  • A Small Weeping (Lorimer #2)
  • Shadows of Sounds (Lorimer #3)
  • The Riverman (Lorimer #4)
  • Pitch Black (Lorimer #5)
  • Glasgow Kiss (Lorimer #6)
  • Five Ways To Kill A Man (Lorimer #7)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Lorimer #9)
  • The Swedish Girl (Lorimer #10)
  • The Bird That Did Not Sing (Lorimer #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sound of Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Less Than A Treason (Kate Shugak, #21)
    $9.99 $4.49
  • The Air Raid Killer (Max Heller, Dresden Detective, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington #1)
  • The Ministry of Fear
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Heart-Shaped Box
    $11.99 $2.99
  • 15 Seconds
  • You'll Never Know, Dear
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Fifth To Die (4MK Thriller, #2)
  • The Secret Mother