Start by marking “Nightmare At 20,000 Feet” as Want to Read:
Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet

Remember that monster on the wing of the airplane? William Shatner saw it on The Twilight Zone, John Lithgow saw it in the movie-even Bart Simpson saw it. "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" is just one of many classic horror stories by Richard Matheson that have insinuated themselves into our collective imagination.

Here are more than twenty of Matheson's most memorable tales of fe
Published January 5th 2002 by Tor Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Nightmare At 20,000 Feet, please sign up.
Chuck White The product description doesn't give an exact number, but says there are over 20 stories in this book.

Stephen
Photobucket

8 Excellent short stories,
1 Boring short misfire, and
11 Dazzling, GRANDtastic short masterpieces
combine to make this one delicious helping of gumdrop goody goodness....in a scare you stool-less and leave you whimpering kind of way. This is a rare blend of literate, high quality prose and "oh shit" screaming terror. Matheson's story-telling is addictive and the heavy, meaty sense of tension-filled dread with which he is able to consistently imbue his stories is truly special. Yeah, I thought t
Bill  Kerwin
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it

Remember the Twlight Zone episode with William Shatner seeing gremlins on the wing of the plane? Well, that's the title story. And many others in this collection are just as good.
Scott
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Good horror stories make you experience the world differently. Unexpected noises make you jumpy. Your slightly odd neighbour begins to look decidedly sinister. You lie in bed thinking that you'll be safe if you don't peek your head out from under your blankets. When you read a good horror story, fear leaks from its pages and infects you.

Richard Matheson’s collection Nightmare At 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories is mostly made up of these sorts of stories.

You’ve probably read I am Legend - Matheson’s
Lyn
Oct 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Nightmare at 20,000 feet is a collection of short stories by horror and weird fantasy genre trailblazing master Richard Matheson.

The collection begins with the title story, a favorite of Twilight Zone fans, both from the show and an episode starring a very young William Shatner and the film featuring John Lithgow in the lead.

This is an excellent way to begin because it highlights Matheson’s psychological style of horror blending the surreal and fantastic. Matheson’s genius is close, subtle, th
Richard
This is my first real foray into Matheson's work that I can remember (I read I Am Legend a very long time ago and can't quite recall it). I knew he was an important and influential author but I had no idea to what extent! It feels to me like he's the author that had the strongest influence on Stephen King. Their style of storytelling and pacing (at least in the short story work) is very similar! And you can also see why he was tapped to write The Twilight Zone episodes and why that show adapte ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Like Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson has created timeless stories filled with the surreal, eerie and bizarre, and each one is certainly worth reading.
Becky
I love Richard Matheson. His short stories are some of the best examples of the craft I've ever seen. He has this way of making me feel like I am a part of the story in a way that works brilliantly, especially considering that Matheson loves an open ending. He lets the reader carry on where he leaves off, and that's one of my favorite things about reading his short stories.

Many of the stories in this collection are ones I've read elsewhere, but listening to them on audio this time was fantastic
José
Podés encontrar esta y otras reseñas en mi blog.

Relatos incluidos en la colección:
1° - Pesadilla a 20.000 pies
14° - El hombre de las fiestas
15° - Viejos territorios
16° - El distribuidor
17° - Gr
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of horror/suspense short stories by good writers
I found Nightmare at 20, 000 Feet and Other Stories at my excellent public library. The titular story is the basis for The Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner. Well if you like the show, read the book. Your heartbeat stays erratic the whole time. I love the detail in which Matheson describes the harrowing experience the protagonist has. He knows the gremlin is there but the darn thing disappears when he tries to point him out. The flight crew gets more and more convinced that the protagon ...more
Chris_P
CRICKETS: ***
FIRST ANNIVERSARY: ****
THE LIKENESS OF JULIE: ****
PREY: ***

I think it's needless to talk about the way Matheson wrote his stories. The above ratings have n
Adam
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I expected to like this collection, but I did not expect to love it since I am not generally a lover of short stories. However, Matheson does such a great job of instantly giving you enough background that you feel completely pulled into the story. I found I was able to become vested in the story right away, and that allowed me to connect with the stories.

The stories themselves are amazing. My personal favorites were the title story, "Dress of White Silk," "Through Cannels" and "Blood Son." Gre
Megan
3.5 Stars

A couple of really good stories and quite a few not so good stories. Although I might have my expectations set a little too high after reading I am Legend and Hell House.
Troy Blackford
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Holy *crap*, was this a punch in the gut! This collection is for anyone who loves horror. It'll knock your socks off. All kinds of stories: some admittedly better than others, but none of them bad. Many of them exceptional.
Badseedgirl
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read-in
Nightmare at 20,000 Feet: Horror Stories by Richard Matheson should be required reading for all fans of horror. Not just because Mr. Matheson was one of the first Grand Masters of Horror, inducted in 1993 by The World Horror Convention, or because he has been the influence of such authors as Stephen King (Also a Grand Master), but because so many of these short stories were the basis of amazing movies and TV anthologies that we have all enjoyed.

• Nightmare at 20,000 feet (Twilight Zone TV series
Susan
More chilling works by a 20th-century master of the genre. Matheson is a primary influence on modern horror--not just literary, but in cinema and television (Matheson wrote prolifically for "The Twilight Zone" and the title story of this collection was adapted for that show).

If your only Matheson experience so far has been Will Smith in "I Am Legend," you owe it to yourself to expand your horizons. This collection is a great introduction to typical Matheson themes: ordinary folks in horrifying
Chris
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fof-reads
Finished it on Halloween - that was nice timing.

Great collection of Matheson scary stories. I enjoyed most of them, as I always seem to like his stuff. A few were stories I'd read before, but it was nice to revisit those too.

Favorites: "Witch War", "The Distributor", "Mad House", and the title story. Most of these would be great as Twilight Zone episodes, and some of them were...
Doreen Petersen
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Wonderful collection of short stories. Not quite to the level of Stephen King but very good. I would recommend this one.
Trudi
I expected to LOVE this collection, and while I mightily enjoyed a handful of the stories, others left me feeling cold, confused or just plain ol' meh-disappointed.

Most of that meh is not Matheson's fault - I fully recognize him as a master of his craft. Stephen King (my favorite author) admits Matheson is the writer who has influenced him most (and the more I read of Matheson's work the more I believe that). The meh is my fault; short stories are not usually my bag and it takes a lot for one to
T.E. Grau
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not a perfect book (what book is?), but shows the range and huge chops of Richard Matheson in the short form, as he blend genres but keeps it dark and probing. One of my favorite writers, whom I feel is undervalued a bit in discussions of either our best horror authors, or best American authors in general.

Stephen King's introduction is wonderful, and succinctly reminds the reader just how important Matheson was as a bridge between the decline of the Great Pulpists (Lovecraft, REH, CAS, etc.) an
Emilia
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charles Beaumont is still #1 for me, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Jaksen
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad collection of horror/scifi/mystery stories, but there was an ongoing or running theme through many, that of the disgruntled white man who can’t catch a break in present-day society. Blame it on work, the wife, the circumstances of life itself, many of the MCs were just plain miserable and going mad or doing crazy things because of it. Now...

Maybe at the time of the writing – mostly the1950’s – there were a lot of men questioning things which they hadn’t before. WW2 was over, and even i
Oscar
Todavía recuerdo aquella película de los 80 que vi siendo un niño, ‘En los límites de la realidad’, dividida en cuatro episodios, el último de los cuáles estaba basado en un relato de Richard Matheson. Esa escena en la que el pasajero protagonista descubre a un extraño ser sobre el ala del avión en el que viaja, me dejó realmente impactado. Pero también me vienen a la mente otras películas en las que el talento de Matheson estaba muy presente, como el primer film de Steven Spielberg, ‘El diablo ...more
Bandit
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The one novel I read by Matheson before this has left enough of an impression to warrant checking out this collection and I'm so glad I did. These stories really showcase Matheson's most impressive talent and it's not so much for supernatural spookiness, though there is plenty of that, the author really shines when it comes to writing the dark deep secrets, the hidden sides of human nature. There were some genuinely terrifying stories in this collection about various ways to go mad, about losing ...more
Carol Storm
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A hero from my childhood -- Richard Matheson wrote "Steel," my favorite Twilight Zone episode, plus he wrote the book that inspired the classic movie "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston and Anthony Zerbe!

I just had to read "Prey" because I remember screaming along with Karen Black in "Trilogy of Terror" as the Zuni doll chased her all around her apartment. My favorite stories were "Blood Son" and "Dress of White Silk." Great American horror!
Kathy
Feb 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
There are some great Matheson classics in this volume! The man is one of the best, in my opinion. My favorites, though it's hard to pick just a few, are Blood Son, Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, and Prey. This is more of a 4.5 stars, but I guess I'll go with 4. I highly recommend this book!
hidefan
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, library
Es curioso que siendo fan del cine de terror, en lo que respecta a la literatura no es de los géneros que más frecuento. Sí, leo mucho a Stephen King, Poe es uno de mis escritores favoritos y he disfrutado como una enana con novelas como Déjame Entrar o Guerra Mundial Z, pero no es lo primero que miro ni mucho menos cuando entro en una librería o en la biblioteca.

Uno de los autores más identificativos del género, del que beben muchos autores de terror modernos como el propio Stephen King que esc
James Hold
Nov 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I was extremely disappointed in this collection. RM is a favorite of mine, not my all-time favorite, but one I can reasonably expect to entertain me. The problem is he can be very uneven with just as many clunkers as masterpieces and his screenplays and television scripts are generally better than his prose. I imagine this is because RM is a visual writer and it is better to see his stories than to read them. The collection here reflects his unevenness. Perhaps it represents some of RM's earlier ...more
Itziar
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hay alguna historia que es un poco mediocre, pero por lo general son geniales.
Rab Araujo
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Será por que en realidad me considero un lector casual a la hora de los cuentos o relatos cortos (situación que estoy intentando cambiar) que las historias cortas de Matheson me han dejado genuinamente embelesado.

Conocía su trabajo previo en novela (Soy leyenda) pero se muy bien que su obra de mayor reconocimiento de encuentra en los relatos cortos. Inspirando a cientos, entre ellos el propio King, quien de hecho da la introducción de esta joya, por fin entiendo el alcance y tamaño de su peculia
Иван Величков
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: Ужаст
Направо не мога да повярвам, че чак сега попадам на нещо написано от Ричард Матисън. Половината от двадесетте истории в книгата са филмирани в „Зоната на здрача”, „Властелините на ужаса” и „Трилогия на ужаса”. Писателят не един път е вдъхновявал самия Стивън Кинг, както става ясно от прекрасния предговор написан от Краля.
Ричард Матисън е наричан от феновете бащата на модерния хорър (майката на модерния хорър трябва да е била голяма разпоретина, щом толкова години не може да се установи бащата).
thriller/horror 3 12 Jan 29, 2015 04:50PM
Flights of Fantasy: October 2014 - Horror: Nightmare at 20,000 Feet by Richard Matheson 40 41 Jan 04, 2015 12:07PM
  • The Howling Man
  • Alone With the Horrors: The Great Short Fiction, 1961-1991
  • Weird Tales: 32 Unearthed Terrors
  • Dial M for Monkey
  • The Endlands (Volume 1)
  • Who Goes There? and Other Stories
  • By Bizarre Hands
  • The Dark Descent
  • The Mammoth Book of Monsters
  • In the Flesh (Books of Blood #5)
  • Shock Totem 1: Curious Tales of the Macabre and Twisted
  • Strange Wine
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • The Wine-Dark Sea
  • Peaceable Kingdom
  • Best Ghost Stories of Algernon Blackwood
  • Book of the Dead (Book of the Dead, #1)
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
Born in Allendale, New Jersey to Norwegian immigrant parents, Matheson was raised in Brooklyn and graduated from Brooklyn Technical High School in 1943. He then entered the military and spent World War II as an infantry soldier. In 1949 he earned his bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Missouri and moved to California in 1951. He married in 1952 and has four children, three of w ...more
“But it's so hard to make things simple and so easy to make them complicated.” 5 likes
“she watched the storm move off on lightning legs.” 0 likes