Start by marking “The F-Word” as Want to Read:
The F-Word

The F-Word

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  328 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
There's something special about a lexicon in which more than half the entries begin with the same letter. The F-Word earned its title the hard way: editor Jesse Sheidlower and the staff of Random House combed vast numbers of books, magazines, films, and other works for references to the most beloved, least printable word in the English language and all its variations. Ther ...more
Published September 20th 1999 by Faber & Faber (first published October 3rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The F-Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The F-Word

Eastofoz
Sep 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dictionary lovers
An excellent dictionary of the F-word. It includes a brief history and then in dictionary form it shows the myriad of expressions that are an off-shoot of it. It also indicates the origin of the expression, an example in a sentence as well as the year it became popular (when known).

A dictionary AND potential party pleaser, what more could you want ;)

Gary
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING:IF YOUR OFFENDED BY THE F-WORD, READ NO FURTHER.

This is a very enjoyable book. Thank you C, for corrupting this good Catholic boy.:)
If you love words, history, how our outlook changes over time, or just like the word fuck and it's many variants, this is a book for you.

I remember having a close friend over for dinner. He is a Monsignor and now works at the Vatican. I said that sometimes the f-bomb is a cathartic release, to which he agreed. There is no other word with the power of release
Jonathan Burt
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
What intrigued me about The F-word was that it was written by Jesse Sheilder, former Principal North American Editor of the OED (Oxford English Dictionary). Obviously, he is familiar with a lot of interesting words, so if he felt a need to write a book about this one, I am not one to second guess.

One downfall of reading via an e-reader is not being able to easily flip through a book before setting out. Thus, I did not know that The F-word is primarily a dictionary of F-terms.

The first 40pp or s
Lewis
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: literate potty-mouths, copyeditors for adult publications
Shelves: reference
Best. Reference book. Ever. Great historical and literary citations. You'll learn some new and useful expressions and settle once and for all that argument over whether fist f*** is one word, two words, or hyphenated.
Joyce Dunklee
Apr 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
I didn't truly read it. I read the foreward which went through all the information I wanted to know: etymology, etc. After that, the entire book is a dictionary of uses of the word.....who cares?
Steven
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dictionary
Still think this is one of the greatest F***ing dictionaries! Looked up an expression and just kept flipping pages and next thing I knew two hours had disappeared. What more can you ask from a book?
Julie theriault
it was interesting
Phillip Edwards
Christie
In this book, the reader learns a bit about the history of the F-word (yes that f-word); where it came from, when it first appeared in the English language, and some of the more interesting times it has been involved in historical events. The rest of the book is a dictionary of various forms and sayings that include the F-word.

I knew the book was mostly a dictionary from the beginning. What I did not know is how boring that dictionary would be. I was expecting a bit more of an explanation beyond
Juliet Jeske
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mini-dictionary about the most scandalous word in American English. I don't know if goodreads even allows the use of the word in a review so I will simply refer to it as f*ck. This edition also includes words derived from f*ck used in other English speaking countries, such as Australia, The United Kingdom and Canada.

It is not a joke book, it won't cause you to fall over in fits of laughter, but if you honestly need a reference book for all things f*ck this is it. Extremely well researched and
Jason
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
As a former undergraduate linguistics instructor (and someone who once used the expression "absofuckinglotutely" to illustrate the morphology in infixes), I found this very interesting, but truthfully, I wasn't aware when I started reading it that it was a dictionary. I was expecting interesting anecdotes about the various uses of the word throughout history and possibly some information about changing standards over time of what and what does not consititute vulgarity. Instead, after a short in ...more
SJ
Apr 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the introduction, it's all about the history of the F word and how it's use has changed and continues to become less and less taboo. Linguists, etymologists and f-bomb-lovers alike can enjoy this book. The bulk of it is a catalog of any and all f-word variations, and each entry includes references. Some of them go back pretty far. It's interesting. My least favorite thing about this book is the foreward by Lewis Black, because he improperly infixes in "unbe-f*cking-lievable", breaking up ...more
Bob Hartley
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
It's okay. I like swearing as much as the next degenerate intellectual but I think this is a bit disappointing. The titles of the entries are in Comic Sans. The illustrations don't really illustrate much; they're few and far between and are a bit shit. The illustration for clusterfuck is a bunch of bananas smoking, and the one for mindfuck is a fella with a screw going in one ear and out the other. I also think there are plenty of words missing, e.g. fucktonne, flikker, goose, while some of the ...more
Nezka
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically a dictionary of all manner of use of that one word, some of which I can truly say I had never heard before! There is a great chapter on the historiography/etymology of the word and where it has been used, and the possible origins (still unknown) in late medieval England. The author is Editor-at-Large for the Oxford English Dictionary--meaning he's no slouch--and this is an updated edition of a previous volume. If you love words (and the cathartic use of this one!), I highl ...more
Ellen
Sep 08, 2009 rated it liked it
A dictionary-style compendium of every thinkable use of one of the most versatile and expressive words in the English language. Seriously! Though eventually I ended up skimming some of the entries (the author uses exhaustive numbers of examples of every variation of, for example, motherf***er) the book gave me a great appreciation for this word and its illustrious history and appreciate it as more than a simple vulgarity.
Gokycats4
Aug 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, I read this book on a dare from a friend. For someone who never swears, this was a very entertaining book.....I can see how it would be a great read for a certain "crowd" who want to get all philosophical about rebellionisms and such. I actually did enjoy the book.... I like to know "stuff" and I do everything I can to gather more information into my encyclopedic mind.....so....after reading this...I have enough for the Letter F.
Mike Wigal
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Better than I expected. Literally every fucking iteration of the word is defined. I'm proud to say the most frequent and creative uses (including one of which could've been me, a 2LT in 1974 saying "fuck 'em if they can't take a joke") come from the military, where dropping F-bombs and breathing are of equal importance.

But on a quasi-serious note a trove of serious literature (mostly American) was referenced, giving me plenty of ideas for future reading.
Robert
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the late 1990s I began getting into dictionaries. As I investigated them, read them, and studied them, I came across this book. When I answer Lipton's 10 Questions, the F Word is what I respond is my favorite curse word. This book, mine was the first edition edited by Jesse Sheidlower, is a wonderful reference of the word.
Aldean
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: unshockable word-lovers
I laughed when I first saw this book in the book shop, but upon perusal I was surprised and impressed to see that, while certainly amusing, it is also a serious work of thorough scholarship. Both entertaining and enlightening, this volume will never be without a place on my reference shelf (although perhaps I will have to find an out-of-the-way spot for it once the children become literate...)
Lee
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, language
As an avid user of the "F word", I knew I had to read this book. Though it's a reference book, I found both the foreword and the introductions quite entertaining and informative. The only meaningful thing I got from this book however, besides a interesting but brief history of the word, were a few new insults to call my friends while drinking beer and playing blackjack. For that, Two Stars!
Rogelio
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazingly interesting, entertaining and in depth in its analysis of the F-word, wheter you want its origin or new expressions to pepper up your repertoire of colourful language. This effing book is the right one for you!
Julia Shumulinsky
May 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Most of the book is a dictionary, however the intro includes a lot of good information on the origin, growth, and status of the word. Once you get through that (before page 1), the book has pretty much fulfilled its usefulness as anything other than a reference guide.
Stephanie
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
The absolutely only downfall is that I didn't realize this was primarily a dictionary. But a book all about the f-word? It's just too awesome. :)
Caty
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
A forget-me-not from Tammy. The epigraph reads, "If I'm going to corupt you, I may as well go all the way."
Katie
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
it's an effin' dictionary! okay to flip through, the intro was interesting at least...
Aleksandra
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting, both as a linguistic study and a repository of stories and anecdotes concerning the use of the forbidden f-word.
Forrest Carpenter
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fucking awesome.
Corrine
May 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Quite funny, and educational. I really just read this for fun.
John Dalton
The F-Word (1999)
John Brooke
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All contemporary writers
Recommended to John by: An admirer.
Shelves: inspirational
This little, rich book has been a "F"ing usueful reference and inspiration in writing my fiction and reportage..
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • Word Myths: Debunking Linguistic Urban Legends
  • When You Catch an Adjective, Kill It: The Parts of Speech, for Better And/Or Worse
  • Euphemania: Our Love Affair with Euphemisms
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes in English Made by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • The Dord, the Diglot, and an Avocado or Two: The Hidden Lives and Strange Origins of Common and Not-So-Common Words
  • The Language Wars: A History of Proper English
  • I'm Not Hanging Noodles on Your Ears and Other Intriguing Idioms From Around the World
  • I Never Knew There Was a Word For It
  • Righting the Mother Tongue: From Olde English to Email, the Tangled Story of English Spelling
  • A Certain "je Ne Sais Quoi": The Origin of Foreign Words Used in English
  • English as a Second F*cking Language: How to Swear Effectively, Explained in Detail With Numerous Examples Taken from Everyday Life
  • The Superior Person's Book of Words
  • Grammar Snobs Are Great Big Meanies: A Guide to Language for Fun and Spite
  • Word Origins ... and How We Know Them: Etymology for Everyone
  • Bastard Tongues: A Trailblazing Linguist Finds Clues to Our Common Humanity in the World's Lowliest Languages
  • The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of "Proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park
  • Spellbound: The Surprising Origins and Astonishing Secrets of English Spelling

Nonfiction Deals

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Out of Africa and Shadows on the Grass
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Kingdom by the Sea: A Journey Around the Coast of Great Britain
  • The War That Ended Peace: The Road to 1914
    $6.99 $2.99
  • No Limits: Blow the CAP Off Your Capacity
    $9.99 $2.99

“Now I must leave you as you enter the world that is Fuck. You are fucking lucky to be here. It's almost utopian.” 21 likes