Start by marking “The Mercenaries of the Stolen Moon (Tales of the High Court #4)” as Want to Read:
The Mercenaries of the Stolen Moon (Tales of the High Court #4)

The Mercenaries of the Stolen Moon

(Tales of the High Court #4)

For twenty years Myra has served the High King, so familiar, respected, and envied the rest of the palace calls him the High Secretary. For twenty years he has kept his secrets buried, and after so long he dares to believe he has left his past behind. But during the Festival of Harmony, tragedy strikes, and Myra's past is dragged into the present.

Once third in command of F
ebook
Published November 20th 2018 by Less Than Three (first published November 19th 2018)

llv
Rating: 3 stars
This book was extremely hard for me to finish. There was just so much detail. I think the book would have been better if it had been shorter. I found all the political stuff a bit boring. I did like the relationship between the MCs. The fact that all three didn’t get together until about 70% in didn’t bother me. I think it was because they all knew each other for a long time prior to the events in this story. It would have bothered me more had they just met.

Overall, I was somewha
~nikki the recovering book addict
Another great addition to The Tales of the High Court. I absolutely adore this world and Myra in this book sums up why I love it so much when he talks about Sarrica and his posse, I mean family =P It has heart, it has kindness and it has a lot of love for friends who have been chosen as family.

The three main characters had been side characters in the earlier books in this series so they're not completely strangers, except that now we get to get to know them better. Get to know their backstory an
iam
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful addition to one of my favourite series!

Content warnings include: (view spoiler)

The Mercenaries of the Stolen Moon, fourth book in the Tales of the High Court series, gives much deserved loved to some well established characters from previous books
jessica ☾
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I was so excited that we were finally getting Myra’s backstory, and I wanted to love this so badly- and while some parts I definitely did, it just seemed to drag on for the most part. However, I their relationship may be one of my favorites from the series, I felt like they really had enough time for it to naturally progress, unlike some of the others.
Monique
I liked it, but I didn't love it like the other books in this series. For me there was too much inner dialogue and too little actual communication between the MC's. The tone of the story felt slightly off to me, I can't really explain it. The middle part of the story dragged on and on. I also missed the presence of the former MCs and their interactions, luckily we did get to enjoy some Sarrica/Lesto.

Looking forward to the next one in this series.
Pete W
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
This had been a long awaiting sequel for me. Since this is the book about Myra the head secretary of Sarrica.
I do like it overall. But the middle arc was slow. I am not sure if it was meant to reflect the characters’ experiences or not… It did felt like it and it was not an enjoyable read. (view spoiler)
The romances felt believable, which h
Lila Hunter
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-arc-strw
Review at Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words.

ARC provided by Less Than Three Press in exchange for an honest review.
Nicole Field
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I think, if the worst a person can say is that there is too much plot, then it's still a very good book. This book had too much plot. The downside of that, of course, is that I felt as though it just didn't have enough character progression.

Perhaps that was my own personal biases. I had heard that this was a polyamorous read, and I wanted to really get into knowing the three personalities involved.

We know all of them, of course, from previous books in the series. I think Myra is probably the o
Allerleihrau
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mit diesem Band geht die Reise nun noch tiefer in das High-Court-Universum.
Inzwischen habe ich mich auch leidlich an den Umgang mit den Geschlechterrollen in Sacricas Reich gewöhnt und stolpere nicht mehr ständig darüber wenn sich eine Figur plötzlich als anderes Geschlecht entpuppt.

Im Mittelpunkt steht Myra, der Sekretär des High King und zwei weitere Figuren die im Universum schon fest verankert sind.
Charlaine den wir als Bodyguard von Lord Kamir im Band 3 kennengelernt haben und Jac, die sch
Sarah Meerkat
I wanted to enjoy this book as I did the others in the series but this one followed the same trope as the other three. The characters are separated for over 30 to 40% of the book which impedes emotional relationship development and left me irritated and skimming.

It led to a power imbalance where Char and Jac have more solo development together than the three of them as a couple. Which if the relationship had been solidly established before Myra was captured would not have been as much of an issu
k reads
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: quiltbag, read-2018
I liked books 1 &3 in this series but was bored by 2 & 4.
This is also the second Derr book I have read that featured a poly relationship. Neither really worked for me as a romance. No fire or passion in the romances.
I am also not a fan of the I'm not good enough. He deserves better than me internal obstacle and here we have three main characters whining about it.
I don't remember Jac being so giggly and young. And while I appreciate a woman with a strap-on, here, each mention of Jac usin
Luce
Ugh I love this series SO MUCH.

DESMOND AND CHASS IN THE NEXT INSTALMENT?? HECK YES LETS GO.

CW: Myra is a trans man but his (estranged) family and clan do not see him as a man but “a woman choosing to live as a man,” and they consistently deadname and sometimes misgender him. This is not supported by the other characters, the societal attitude of the country where he lives and most of the neighbouring countries, or the narrative at large.

A note: I have shelved this as lgbtqiap-pan because that’s
Evy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The more I read these, the more they feel vaguely (less-and-less vaguely) problematic, especially in terms of their trans representation, which I feel is Not Great. In this book I also had a lot of trouble with the seeming redemption arc of Chass, who to me is pretty irredeemable (and he is the main character in the next book...).

On the other hand--poly fantasy romance? Where else will I find that? And, I did really love the relationship that Myra, Jac, and Charlaine end up finding themselves i
Hemmel
Nov 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Well... One star. I was looking forward to this one, because I like the High Court and the bickering between the MC's. Insults and sarcasm are my kind of humor. And that didn't occur in this book.
On the plus side: I noticed only two editing errors. A record for a Megan Derr book.
The plot was identical to the other three books: lovers get separated and travel through the countries. Lots of history and politics while waiting for the story to pick up.
You have to excuse me for rating a book which co
Becky
Dec 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably my least favourite of the series as I’m not a big threesome fan (and a lot of the book focused on them being a pair and a solo), and mostly prefer MM and this is a bit of a mix. That said, the storyline itself was intriguing and what I’ve come to expect from reading about the Harken Empire, and it was great to see some of the earlier cast such as Sarrica, Allen and Lesto.

Will definitely be checking out the last book of the series.
K.B. Rainwater
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotional and exciting

This book weaves together three interconnected love stories in a compelling and believable way. Jac is an utter delight, and I loved finding out about Myra's shadowy past. Charlaine is adorable and I'm also pretty sure he's demisexual, so the rep in this book was amazing. The stuff with Chass was great too, I'm intrigued by this other side of him that's been revealed. Looking forward to the next book.
R.S.T.
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There was a lot going on in this fourth book from the series. Echoing a bit of what other reviews have said that there's a lot of plot going on in this book. I still really loved reading this book, and I absolutely cannot wait for the fifth book. I look forward to reading more about Chass, who was mentioned a lot more with more scenes with him in it. I think the next book is supposed to be the final one in the series, which I'm quite saddened about. I love the characters and the world.
Tricia
I love this series. I love how immersed I get into the story, and the different views of my favorite characters (obviously Sarrica and Allen) from other perspectives. Though, I'm a little confused (maybe I missed something!) about what Sarrica knows about Allen's relationship with his brother. I'm hoping this is further explained, but it also means I get to re-read the series and see if I missed something - not like re-reading this series is a hardship!!!
Lie
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Im so hyped for a Chass book i found myself unable to concentrate on this one. Where the deets, where the release date, I'm dying, squirtle.

Tho poly is not my thing, this was a good read. The thought processes seemed a bit repetitive and longwinded, and even felt samey from all 3 points of view at times. I wish there was more plot. But the relationship was sweet and the banter funny.
Joanne
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Wonderful world building with a plot that had so many twists and turns that I couldn’t put it down. I’m going to have to read it again but more slowly to savour it and I can’t wait for the next book. This whole series is one of the best I’ve read.
Rachel T
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

This is an excellent addition to the series. I loved it, and seeing Myra, Jac and Charlaine get the happy ending they deserve. I think it would work as a stand alone, but I love this series so much I thibk everyone should read all of them anyway.
Paula Atwell
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Love Megan Derr books and this series especially. The story brought in new characters and fleshed out familiar ones. Would love to more scenes with Kamir and children. Keep them coming.
Novel Ninja
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

Enjoyed reading about Myra, Charlaine, and Jac. All three seemed quiet and unassuming, and all three have much deeper stories. Can’t wait for Chass’s book.
Whitney
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thouroughly enjoyed this book. Although I do agree with some other reviewers about developing the individual relationships between Myra & Jac and Myra & Charlaine.
Elizabeth Fillmore
Great book

Thank for Megan Derr, thank you very much. I could not put this book down. I really can't wait to read the next one.
Tori
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
Not my favourite of the series, but still highly enjoyable. I like the world building of this series so much.
Madeleine
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was good. Didn't think they would be separated for so long, but it was an enjoyable read.
Anne Marie Heller Cox
one of my favorite series

I love this series. I read read them each time a new book is released. THis was a great addition, new stories, and beloved characters.
Shelley
Mary Ryan
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite authors

Truly enjoyed this. Can't wait for the next one. I really hope that the title doesn't mean that it's the last we see of this world and these characters.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Slay Ride
  • How to Be a Movie Star (How to Be #2)
  • The Christmas Fling (Christmas Town, #1)
  • Fair Isn't Life
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Oracle's Flame (The Oracle #1)
  • A Sovereign Vow (Bred For Love, #4)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Gravemen
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Taken
  • That Famous Happy End
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Without Secrets (With or Without, #4)
  • Tigers on the Way (Tigers and Devils, #4)
  • The Servant
  • Any Old Diamonds (Lilywhite Boys #1)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com
maderr.tumblr.com
maderr.livejournal.com

Tales of the High Court (4 books)
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • The Pirate of Fathoms Deep (Tales of the High Court, #2)
  • The Heart of the Lost Star (Tales of the High Court, #3)