Start by marking “Detective Cross (Alex Cross, #24.5)” as Want to Read:
Detective Cross (Alex Cross, #24.5)

Detective Cross

(Alex Cross #24.5)

The suspect is your patient, Dr. Cross.

An anonymous caller has promised to set off deadly bombs in Washington, DC. A cruel hoax or the real deal? By the time Alex Cross and his wife, Bree Stone, uncover the chilling truth, it may already be too late....

BookShots
LIGHTNING-FAST STORIES BY JAMES PATTERSON
Novels you can devour in a few hours Impossible to stop
Kindle Edition
Published June 6th 2017 by BookShots (first published May 2nd 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Detective Cross, please sign up.

Start your review of Detective Cross (Alex Cross, #24.5)
Sheri
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017
Quick, action packed read. One of the best Bookshots I've read. Kate was a nice addition to the story, I wouldn't mind reading more about her. An intriguing short story to hold you over until the next Alex Cross book comes out.
Matt
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookshots
After a hiatus, I am back reading BookShots and revelling in some of the superior work that James Patterson has to offer with one of his original series, Alex Cross. While out running, Chief of Detectives Bree Stone (married to the aforementioned Dr. Cross) receives a call that a bomb is set to explode. She calls in resources around the National Monuments and helps diffuse the situation. Meanwhile, Alex Cross is serving his suspension and awaiting trial, having returned to his psychology ...more
Suzanne
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a good Bookshots with a very upsetting plot. It is a said fact that, for the most part, veterans do not get the care and respect needed for them to adjust back to civilian life. The lack of support for veterans is very upsetting and happens every day in countries around the world. This will be a very difficult bookshots for readers to read without being completely empathic.

My quick and simple overall: the best bookshots I have read so far with a sad plot that gives a strong lesson.
Brenda
Detective Bree Stone received the anonymous call advising of the IED set to explode at a certain time and the race was on. Special Agent with the FBI, Ned Mahoney, Bree and Alex Cross co-ordinated the search for the bomber, with the dog squad joining in. But the calls continued and the bomber was as elusive as in the beginning.

What was the motive for the attacks in Washington DC? And though no one had been hurt as yet, were the bomber’s irrational moves escalating? Would they locate the
Skip
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I typically dislike novellas, because I feel plot is shortchanged, but I liked this one. A bomber is on the loose in Washington D.C. and keeps calling Chief of Detectives Bree Cross. We are given passing glimpses of the bomber, who is trying to draw attention to veterans' need for support services, both mental and physical. Meanwhile Alex is having a hard time with a female patient, Kate, who has unique insight into the psychology of bombers from her own war experiences and an skill for ...more
Tiffany PSquared
A great, fast read with a surprisingly meaningful ending.
Wendy
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Detective Cross

Good story. This could even make a good new series with Kate. It kept my interest until the end of the story.
Carol
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Detective Cross" is a short story but keeps readers captivated until the end. A bomber with links to the VA sets off bombs around the Mall. He / she calls Bree each time and provides a warning so innocent bystanders can be evacuated from the site in time. One of Cross' patients, a female who spent time in the Middle East as an IED expert in the military, is withdrawn and constantly hurting herself; she is seeing Cross as mandated by the courts, and he tries hard to gain her trust. After later ...more
Marianne
Detective Cross is a novella in the popular Alex Cross series by prolific American author, James Patterson. It apparently comes between the novella, Cross Kill and the full-length novel, The People vs Alex Cross. It is published under the BookShots: stories at the speed of life banner, and at a mere 131 pages, it is intended to be a one-sitting read. It is heavy on message, that being the poor treatment that America metes out to its war veterans.

Detective Bree Stone has apparently been
Grace
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a book shot so it's a quick read. There isn't really a lot of character development although there is a new character Kate Williams, who I'd like to see more of in future books. Kate is a patient of Dr. Cross but at the end of the book she has become more of a friend and has made great strides in turning her life around. I'm interested in seeing how her life shapes up.
Lynn
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The only way I will purchase a "Bookshot" is if it is part of one of the signature Patterson series, and of course, the Alex Cross series started it all. I believe this is the ONLY series that is written 100% by Patterson, with no co-author, and that is what makes it so special. I love every installment, and this one was no exception (although as a Bookshot, it's almost a tease).

This is also a story with a message - how poorly we treat our returning veterans. That message is the woven throughout
Chad
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bree receives a phone call that a bomb will go off in the National Mall a hour from now. Now Alec and Bree must track down this bomber before he seriously hurts someone. At the same time, Alec is also treating a veteran who worked as a bomb specialist in Iraq.

Even though this was just a novella, I really liked it. I liked the introduction of Kate and the deal behind the bomber.
James Cox
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Great plot and I didn't want to stop reading!
Dorel
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
First off I wanna say I borrowed the audiobook from the library. The audio was nice & clear. This book's book's story line was okay. Some parts of this story was sad . I really liked the ending. ...more
Emme
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book. There was action throughout and I could hardly put it down. As part of the Alex Cross series it didn't disappoint, despite being a Bookshots book. Definitely worth the read. I love that JP actually writes them himself...you can tell the difference. Can't for the next Cross book....hopefully it will be a full story book.
Kay
I'm usually not impressed with short stories. This is one of the good ones and wish this topic would be present in a full length book.
Arlene
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio, library-finds
Meh. I don't know. This series just hasn't been hitting it for me as of late. It makes me very hesitant to pick up the next book in the series.
Ruth Ann
Perfectly satisfying and heart wrenching story about a bomber clamoring for attention needed to help pass a Veterans rights bill.
A surprise wrap-up for two main characters.
Joan
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finding himself suspended yet again, Alex Cross has resumed his practice and is seeing patients, among them Army veteran Kate Williams. Meanwhile, Bree Stone works at unraveling the mystery of anonymous bomb threat calls. Can she keep Washington, D.C. safe . . . or are the threats part of some elaborate hoax?

As with most BookShots, the story is long on action and short on character development. But, with the Alex Cross stories having already established the central characters, the action takes
Julie Garner
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller
Another great Alex & Bree Cross book! Loved the unknown of this book.
Carol A Chase
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent

I love the Alex Cross books and this is another one for the win column! Patterson always keeps the plot moving and gives just enough hint with the characters to help the reader try to follow the clues and determine the outcome of the book. Patterson always saves a surprise for the very end and he was true to form this time as well. A very enjoyable read and I would highly recommend it for those who like Patterson and Dr. Cross!
Emily
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I'm not a huge fan of the Bookshots, as I like more character development, but this one was pretty interesting. Always enjoy dipping into to Alex Cross's home and hearing what amazing (and frankly unbelievable) concoctions Nana Mama, his 90+ year old grandmother, has come up with lately! A good story and a very quick read, definitely worth reading if you're a fan of the Alex Cross series.
Helen Drake
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Charles Thibos
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story! Short and very engaging, makes a much needed statement and even had a happy ending. Super good read for a relaxing evening!
Amber Garabrandt
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Suspended from the force, Alex has reopened his psychology practice and is trying to help a young vet namedKate. At the same time his wife, Bree, is getting phone calls from someone that wants to"wake everybody up"-with bombs. The people are scared, the city seems mad. Can they find the culprit before it's too late?
For me, this was a fantastic bookshot and a good addition to the Cross series. I enjoyed the fact that we got to see more of Bree, and I really liked the new characters. What really
George Miller
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
From an Alex Cross Fan

I'm a big Alex Cross fan. I anxiously await every new release and read it as quickly as I can get to it. Maybe I'm prejudiced, but I think each successive book is better than the previous one.

In this book, Dr. Cross is suspended from the police force awaiting trial. He's seeing patients, one of which is a suicidal veteran.

A bomber is calling Bree on her personal cell phone and telling her where bombs are located and how much time she has to clear the area.

All evidence
Suzanne
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as usual with the Alex Cross series. Really loved the fast moving pace without all the fluff!
Nancy
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the Alex Cross books. I checked out the CD's at our neighborhood library, and the librarian checked the disks, and said three CD's, what a lot of money. After listening to the story, I thought the book was worth what ever the library had to pay for it.

There are bomb threats in Washington D. C. around the monuments. June 14, 2017, Good Morning America came on with the announcement of the shootings of Congressmen being shot, while practicing for a baseball game between
Linda
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Alex Cross’s wife Bree is receiving calls warning of bomb threats. As calls continue and bombs are found, Kate becomes interested in the case. She is an army vet who was on an IED team and is one of Alex’s patients. She narrows the search down to an area covered by a particular city bus and decides to ride the bus to see if she can find the bomber. She notices Mickey and follows him when he gets off the bus. He’s wearing a vest and goes to the Capitol demanding to talk to Congress about their ...more
Debbie
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bree and Alex are both amazing people. The way they work together is truly remarkable. Kate is a very special person the way she helps find Mickey is incredible. The author will have you on the edge of your seat waiting to see what happens next.

• Bodyguard (Under Covers #1)
  • Sabotage (Under Covers #2)
  • Exquisite (Diamond Trilogy #3)
  • Radiant (Diamond Trilogy #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)