Start by marking “James Acaster's Classic Scrapes” as Want to Read:
James Acaster's Classic Scrapes

James Acaster's Classic Scrapes

James Acaster has been nominated for the Edinburgh Comedy Award five times and has appeared on prime-time TV shows like MOCK THE WEEK, LIVE AT THE APOLLO and RUSSELL HOWARD'S STAND UP CENTRAL.

But behind the fame and critical acclaim is a man perpetually getting into trouble. Whether it's disappointing a skydiving instructor mid-flight, hiding from thugs in a bush wearing a

Published February 19th 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about James Acaster's Classic Scrapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about James Acaster's Classic Scrapes

Start your review of James Acaster's Classic Scrapes
Michael Legge
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shame he dies in the end.
Jason Koivu
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm really going to miss James' stories. He's a great storyteller and he's gotten himself into enough wacky scrapes to make his tales book-worthy. There are occasional and genuine "WTF?!" moments, side-splitters, and snort-laugh inducers herein!

The book is full of car crashes that seem to happen around every turn, sleeping in bushes dressed in a dress, cabbage-related pranks, and quite a few hilariously terrible festival and party-going experiences. There's a whole section in which a rather earl
Tony
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wonderful!

Unlike many others who have praised this, I couldn't read it in a day. In fact, it took me considerably longer. I found that if I savoured it - and 'dipped-in', it seemed so much funnier.

He insists all in here is exactly how it happened and I'd like to think that's true. My memory wouldn't be able to pull that much detail from childhood though!

Worth a read!
Samantha Kilford
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourite-books
Let me start this by saying I love James Acaster. I recall first seeing him in 2011 on Russell Howard’s Good News and being an avid follower ever since. I will seriously watch anything he’s in. He might actually be my ultimate favourite comedian, which made picking up his memoir a no-brainer. 301 pages of Acaster hilarity? Yes, please.

Unfortunately, being such an Acaster fan meant that I was already familiar with a large bulk of the stories recounted in this book. Having binge-listened to Josh W
Riley Redgate
what a gentle, observant, hapless, and hilarious human being

also, the chapters of this that involve car crashes are like the weird alternate-universe comedic version of I AM, I AM, I AM

(listened on audio, of course, bc i got interested in this through his (genius) standup and couldn’t imagine depriving myself of his delivery! he always sounds hilariously affronted by something. usually his own actions. i love him)
DJ
Listened to the audiobook, narrated by the man himself, whilst on a road trip - literally laughed out loud, multiple times. Not just ‘heh’s or fast exhales, actual laughter. Hilarious. I want him to have a good life, but also I do want him to get into more scrapes so he has to write a second book about them...
Inge
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
im in love with this man
Georgina Merry
[Audio book review] Having laughed my head off at Acaster's quirky humour when he's appeared on panel shows, I began this book with high expectations. Overall, I'm mildly disappointed. There weren't nearly as many laugh-out-loud moments as I'd anticipated, and although his "scrapes" are interesting and somewhat daft, I genuinely couldn't care less. This quasi-memoir gives us clear insight to Acaster's life. He seems like a genuinly good bloke, and there were some funny moments, just not enough f ...more
Sarah Tipper
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book. Acaster's stories are wonderful. The one with the punchline of "Here's your Banbury cake" made me laugh out loud. I love it so much I'm considering visiting Banbury and seeing if I can recreate it. Acaster describes nu-metal perfectly and he has amused me greatly. If you were a bit awkward in your younger years this book will make you smile with relief that you weren't as awkward as Acaster (and if you were, I'd like to read your book).
Dan Miller
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is easily the funniest book I've ever read.
Emily O’Dowd
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
(Audiobook review)
This was absolutely fantastic, I'm a big James Acaster fan, and the stories in this book are absolutely bonkers. Kept me very entertained and gave me proper laughs which are needed at the moment! Would highly recommend the audiobook so you get James's delivery as well.
Rob Frampton
Dec 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I like James Acaster. He has a unique style and a quirkiness that sets him aside from the punsters and the do-you-remember-Spangles standups. Unfortunately what makes him a funny performer hasn't translated too well to the printed page. Anecdotes too feel both forced and long-winded and (often fatally) just not funny. I haven't heard the radio shows from which these tales derive, but it does feel at times as if the book is an unedited transliteration and maybe a bit of judicious editing would ha ...more
Luke Burrage
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think my favourite comedian memoir I've read so far. Maybe because so many of the classic scrapes are so close to stories of my own... I just could never tell those stories in such a funny way!
Don Jimmy Reviews
Loved it. Highly recommended.
Chloe
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its very rare that I laugh out loud in a book, but the first line of this masterpiece had me almost in tears. The first line always sets the tone for the book, and, boy, this book did not disappoint. The best part of the stories told is that I could hear James' voice telling them, implausible as they may seem yet painstakingly funny and true. All the tales had a link to those previous, which gave the book a sense of togetherness, it tied the stories together perfectly.

I especially loved 'Xmas T
Rick Burin
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I laughed out loud on the first page, and carried on in a similar vein from there. This succession of stories about Acaster messing stuff up, often in spectacular fashion, is inevitably uneven but frequently painfully funny. The story about the singer in his nu-metal band is genuinely one of the funniest things I have ever read (it made me cry with laughter on a train) and ‘Fell Foot Sound’ and ‘Cabadging’ are both classics, though there’s at least one great joke in even the most minor scrapes, ...more
steph // bookplaits
I really wanted to laugh out loud at this, but sadly I didn't! I've been loving his stand-up comedy recently (I have rewatched clips on YouTube several times and Repertoire on Netflix is great!), so I thought I'd try this book. I do think it works very well as an audiobook, but apparently hearing him speak isn't enough for me - I need to *see* him as well for me to find the stories funny! There are a few tales I was familiar with because I've seen him tell them on panel shows, etc. and they are ...more
elin
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
james acaster is an absolute legend, every decision he makes in this book is simultaneously the smartest and the stupidest thing i've ever heard lmao. every single story was hilarious (i laughed out loud so many times!!) and each story even more ridiculous than the last. i am now going to go listen to him recount the cabbage story on josh's radio show bc that's how much i loved this!
Elena Orde
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ive just written 7 reviews in a row and am fresh out of witty or intelligent thoughts. This book is very funny, I love James acaster and his incredibly unique comic voice, you should read it. And also watch Repertoire on Netflix.
Tess
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Listened to this on audiobook and laughed SO HARD. Then I cabaged my sister for Christmas.
Mary Grand
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
very very funny book.....embarrassed myself laughing out loud , loved it.
Alex Lacey
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible
Jenny
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Acaster’s particular brand of comedic genius does not translate well to the page. While I can watch his standup sets over and over again and listen to him recount his classic scrapes, reading this was exhausting and boring.
I do question whether I would have had the same reaction had I not been so used to his performance. He’s such an undeniable presence that his written work will likely never live up to his own performance of the same material. He should take that for the sincere complime
Silvan Loher
I was slightly disappointed by this book. I would have liked to like it much better - James Acaster is one of my very favourite comedians, seeing him perform stand-up with his awkward and dorky attitude always makes me laugh like crazy. The book not so much, at most it made me smile. This was not the case with the book by another comedian, Joe Lycett, that I recently read and that really made me laugh a lot. I hate to say this, since I think James is so funny and so adorable. I do also have the ...more
Sonia
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Some of the gags were hilarious and was laughing out so loud .... others were tedious and general skimming material. Long live the coat hanger lady, she was the best !!!
Jack Stark
I bloody love James Acaster, I do. But this was a bit shit. A couple of funny stories, but many, many, bland boring ones that were there just to fill the book. Le sigh.
Fern  Love
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Klinta
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
OK, so I decided to listen to this book right after I saw James Acaster live and thought he is a lot funnier live than on TV (I wonder if I will think that when the material I heard live will be a Netflix special). I have to say that the book did not rank better than the live performance, but I did laugh a lot and out loud.

Some of the scrapes were funnier than others, but there were parts that left me a bit horrified.

Wait... Why am I reading what I type in Acaster's voice?
Shayney Hardcastle
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was funny and there were moments where I found myself in pure laughing fits. I am already a fan of James Acaster, so when I saw this book, there was no question about buying it and reading it. So if you are a fan of his, then I would definitely recommend you buying and reading this book. Reading about his night spent in the bush, of course the classic cabbage incidents and every and all other scrapes he’s gotten into and shares with his readers.
Adam
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bloody funny. I chuckled the whole way through. Usually I race through books I'm enjoying, but I had to ration myself to reading just a few scrapes per day so it wouldn't be over too fast. Would recommend.

• Parsnips, Buttered: How to baffle, bamboozle and boycott your way through modern life
  • Straight Outta Crawley: Memoirs of a Distinctly Average Human Being