Start by marking “The Impossible Boy (The Impossible Boy #1)” as Want to Read:
The Impossible Boy (The Impossible Boy #1)

The Impossible Boy

(The Impossible Boy #1)

This is not your average love story.

Ben Easton is not your average romantic hero. He’s a tattooed, badass, wannabe rock star, working in a perfectly horrible dive bar in Camden Town. His life is good, and he’s totally unprepared for how one man will turn it upside down.

Stan isn’t your average heroine. As a gender-fluid man, he proudly wears his blond hair long, his heels
Published January 16th 2017 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about The Impossible Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Impossible Boy

Start your review of The Impossible Boy (The Impossible Boy #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
"I can do anything . . . With my beautiful, impossible boy."

Stan (short for Stanislav) is a boy. And a girl. He's not transgender; he's gender fluid. He's a feminine man who rocks dresses and high heels and has bins full of makeup. A creative director at a fashion magazine, he turns heads wherever he goes.

Stan is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. But beauty can be a curse. Always different, always apart, Stan controls what he can: his body and food.

The Impossible Boy is a tender romance. But it's
Judith
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.

"I'm a boy and a girl both,in different ways.Some people call it gender-fluid."

When I read a friend's review of this and saw the blurb I just knew it was my kind of book.I adore femme men,I love the heels,the make up,the long hair,the clothes.And add into the mix a man who is the opposite and I'm in book heaven.

I make no apologies for the fact I like my men to be dirty,really dirty.I'm talking about men being manhandled and pushed around in the most deliciously filthy ways-and
~Mindy Lynn~
I absolutely adored this story!!!

Stan.... my poor sweet impossible boy, Stan. I just adored him. He was just so damn sweet! I loved his strength. I am awed by his 'give no cares' when it comes to what people might think about his appearance. He's gorgeous and people can't help but stare at his beauty. Including, Ben. Ben is all heart. I cannot express how much I wish there were more guys (just people) like him. He doesn't see Stan as a girl or a boy. He just see's Stan. A beautiful person who he
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Reread 12/2019

Lovely is still an apropos description of this story. I'm not sure I loved it as much the second time around or not but I'm not going to alter the rating because I still heart the stuffing out of Stan, Ben and Tone.

I'm still infatuated with Martin's no fuss writing. Stan and Ben are smitten with each other right away and why should they play games about it? I find their honesty brave.

I have a theory as to what may have happened so now I just have to wait to see if I'm close. I'm
Ele
“He sees the girl and likes her, and can touch the boy and like him too. He doesn’t try and make me ‘fit’ into any tick-box category. He just lets me be.”

Stanislav Novikov is many things. He's a fashion journalist. He's self-made and independant. He's stunningly beautiful. He's a boy and a girl. He's anorexic.

Ben is bisexual, and works as a bartender/ guitarist/tutor. He's all tattooed and badass on the outside, but soft as a marshmallow inside.

Stan's genderfluidity doesn't scare Ben off. On
Shile

This book deserves some gushing, but i am too tired to write a proper gushing review.

I take back what i said about mm contemporary not being my thing. It is still my thing, just depends on the story.

The story of Ben and Stan is so well written and effortless. I found myself enjoying the words, no complications, no drama, just two strangers who meet at a bar, connect and become more.

The side characters fit so well into the story. I would love to read Tone's story.

Overall, it was a
Jan
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, ku
Oh boy. It took me so long to get into this. I pushed ---> 12% and pushed -- ->21% and pushed --->40% and halfway through I was still not sure about this. Half of my brain wanted me to DNF while the other half was saying,

The writing. My problem was the writing. Mea culpa I supposed. I came to realise that I find the 3rd person narrative complicated. It doesn't flow smoothly through my wires. The " he did this", "he asked that ", "he answered it" does my head in.

But I managed to
Jewel
What a perfect book to end one year and start the next. Gorgeous story telling. Characters that felt so real. I was absolutely captivated from the moment I picked it up.

Stanislav Novikov is a beautiful beautiful gender-fluid man. He wears makeup and feminine clothing and has long silky hair. He's a boy. He's a girl. He's Stan, and Ben loves all of him. Stan is a fashion writer, but he could easily be a model. However, Stan has battled anorexia since he was a young teen and he does not want
Karen
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not your average love story.

I had my reservations on this one because the first line in the blurb said 'This is not your average love story.' and of course my response to that was...but is it? Is it really even a love story? So I read on and I became intrigued, curious and ultimately interested...so of course reading the book became inevitable. I needed to find out for myself...was this a love story and yes, we're going with my definition of love story vs romance because hey, it's my
.Lili.
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing

After I had finished The Impossible Boy by Anna Martin , I was on the fence about the rating. The time lapses in the story seemed abrupt, and it kind of bugged me, so I decided to think about the story for a few days and before writing anything. The more I thought about it, the more I appreciated its message and importance.

This story is about Stan and Ben. Stan is genderfluid. He's a man and a woman. In the beginning, he has just moved to England to begin a new job. He works in the fashion
Sabrina
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: man-oh-man
3.5 Stars

Anna Martin was right when she said that this isn't your average romance. The Impossible Boy was so much more than that and a story that will have you captivated from the very first page. Stan is neither a girl, nor a boy, instead he's what you may call gender-fluid; identifying as neither gender. Ben is the unicorn of a man that accepts him for how he is and loves him all the more for having the courage to live his life however he wants. But Stan also has issues that he's kept hidden
Dia
I finally finished this one, after 2 years. The first time I picked it up I started buddy reading it with my best friend and I have to admit I just couldn't finish it. I stopped at 40%. 2 years later I came back to it, hoping I will find something to entertain me. Sadly it didn't happen, and I struggled to finish it.

My complains: too many descriptions - the pub, the restaurant, Stan's flat, his hair and clothes and everything around them, and so little dialogue... I also didn't feel the
Garrett Leigh
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored this book. I don't often get around to reading the books I design covers for, despite my best intentions, but boy am I glad I made time for this one. The image the author sent me for Stan fascinated me from the start, and the book itself did not disappoint.

As a cis woman, I can't comment on the authenticity of the trans elements, but I was utterly captivated by Stan and mesmerised by Anna Martin's hypnotic and beautiful writing style.

The Impossible Boy is a book that will
Susan
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hurt-comfort, mm
I liked the premise of this book so much that I bought it on release day and started reading immediately. I got to 40% and then put it down. But even though I didn’t really like it, I wanted so much to like it, that I picked it up again, determined to like it, damn it.

But it wasn’t meant to be…

The first 50% of this story read like the author was ticking off a list.
- The meeting
- The exchange of phone numbers
- The date
- The kiss
- The sex
- The relationship
- The love

And when Stan and Ben talked
Catherine
Mark my words: The Impossible Boy is going to end up being one of my favourite - if not my very favourite - book of 2017.
Snjez
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
This is quite different from what I'm used to reading in this genre, but I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. It's so tender and sweet.

*************
Re-read 1/2020: The writing style may not be my favourite, but I still think it's a very sweet story. Love those two.
Karla
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 lovemyimpossibleboys stars!!

description

Absolutely loved this book, so freaking much!!

description

"The Impossible Boy" was emotional, sweet and tender, funny at times, captivating, it just blew me away and yes! that's how much I loved it. I loved how Stan and Ben meet in an random encounter at the bar where Ben works. I think my favorite part is seeing the beginning of their relationship, how they went out in their dates. It was just so lovely, they were so adorable especially Ben, he was just so attentive. Stan,
Jenni Lea
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unicorn-endorsed
Just lovely

Sweet, heartwarming and thoughtful, this love story is for your favorites shelf for sure. This is one that I'll remember for a long time.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Absolutely eloquent writing lets you peel back layers here like the finest fruit. Comfortable and disquieting at the same time, The Impossible Boy part I is really about finding and falling in love - not a lot of angst but lots of feeling. Part II is the hard stuff - real work happens here.

It is a hard book for me to read as an anorexic. Lots of memories in this one that got brought to the forefront - so I'm sure my emotional reading might very well be hurt/comfort and dedication to another.
Ashley
There are already many great reviews for this book. I absolutely loved it. Ben and Stan's relationship was beautiful and tender. I fell in love with both of them. Loved how Ben loved Stan completely and without reservation. I love reading about gender fluid characters. Also I can't forget about Tone! He was just incredible. <3
Marte - Thunderella
I really wish I could give this book a higher rating. I was captured by the blurb and what it promised this story could be. There are too few books out there which feature gender fluidity, so I was looking forward to this one. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this as much as I had hoped. There are several reasons why it didn't work for me.

I felt I only got to know Ben and Stan on the surface. There was little going deeper than that. Everything was described, they met, they talked, they exchanged
Suki Fleet
Jan 25, 2017 marked it as nfm-read
Shelves: m-m, nfm, queer, 2017
I identify as gender-fluid, and I like reading stories with gender-fluid characters. That aspect of this story was v enjoyable, esp. the whole gender-fluid convo in the middle^^
Ami
2.5 rounded up. *covers face to block stones*
Hear me out....

I loved this book because:
*Non-Binary characters are rare and I wish there were many more of them. Stan is gorgeously portrayed as gender-fluid and I loved every second of it. Absolutely loved the descriptions, Stan's explanations about himself and his gender, and how he is responded to by other characters. Pieces of this should be used as a teaching tool for gender studies. Well well done.
*Sexuality
My name is Camille and I'm a
Chelsea
4 hearts

Tag Teamed with my fellow Aussie Fantasy!!

“I think I’m falling in love, Stan.”
“I think I am too.”

I was so looking forward to reading this, I adore gender-fluid characters. I find their strength is always so inspiring and….. quite simply... I love men in dresses!

What really made this book was the characters. Both Ben and Stan are such unique and complicated people but I’ll start with Stan.

Stan is only 22 but has lived the life of a 40 year old. He was born in Russia, where being
Ariana
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
*4,5 stars*

Gender identity is not as simple as just ticking a 'male' or 'female' box. There are many people who can't simply be squeezed into this ready made categories. There was a National Geographic documentary on TV about it a week ago, and I was mortified to see how society has dealt with this 'problem' so far.

So books like this are important and valuable for all of us to become more aware and hopefully more tolerant.

Stan is beautiful, in fact drop dead gorgeous. But he doesn't define as a
Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, manties, 2017
Wow. That was absolutely lovely.
Dena
4.5* I really loved this couple. Recommend!
Les Joseph
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It takes a lot for me to give a book a five-star rating, but The Impossible Boy by Anna Martin is my first five-star rating of 2017... and will probably still be among my favorites come December. It was THAT good. Not only is this cover beyond gorgeous, the story line and the characters, not to mention the brilliant writing made this book near perfection. Stan and Ben will stay with me for a long, long time for sure.

You see, Stan is a beautiful man. He's graced the pages of magazines as a model,
Dalia
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m
I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a book without angst so much. There were lovely characters, a beautiful romance and no drama. It was just so heartwarming and had that something special that made me want even more. A simply delightful, highly recommended story.
Amanda
I know January is only 4 days long, but I think already discovered one of my best read of the month. This is my first book of Anna Martin and I'm definitely going all stalker mode on her social media waiting for her next release. This woman had some serious talent in writing such a memorable, meaningful and addictive story without having to create much drama.

The Impossible Boy is a sweet, lovely, low angst story that didn't even have a villain or nasty character. I really much enjoy Ben and
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Pretty Perfect (Boys in Makeup, #1)
  • After the Crash (Small Town Hearts, #1)
  • Fierce & Fabulous (Sassy Boyz, #1)
  • Strays (Urban Soul, #2)
  • Finding Finley
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • The Edge of the World
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Unexpected (Inked, #3)
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Long Way Home
  • Changing the Rules (Crashing, #3)
  • The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
  • The One Decent Thing
  • Hometown Christmas
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
Anna Martin is from a picturesque seaside village in the south west of England. After spending most of her childhood making up stories, she studied English Literature at university before attempting to turn her hand as a professional writer.

Apart from being physically dependent on her laptop, she is enthusiastic about writing and producing local grassroots theatre (especially at the Edinburgh

The Impossible Boy (2 books)
  • The Lost Boy (The Impossible Boy #2)