Start by marking “Sunshine Is Forever” as Want to Read:
Sunshine Is Forever

Sunshine Is Forever

After a life-changing decision, Hunter decides that he can’t go on…

…which lands him in Camp Sunshine, a rehab center for depressed teens. Hunter is determined to keep everyone there out of his head, especially his therapist. But when he meets Corin, a beautiful, mysterious, and confident fellow camper, all Hunter wants to do is open up to her, despite the fact that he’s be
Published August 29th 2017 by Inkshares

To ask other readers questions about Sunshine Is Forever, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunshine Is Forever

Start your review of Sunshine Is Forever
Helena Echlin
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I so wish I'd read this book when I was a depressed teenager. It's darkly humorous and immensely readable. Reads like The Bell Jar rewritten by Chuck Palahniuk. In other words: savagely entertaining.
Malena Watrous
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cowan has the guts to take teen suicide and turn it into a darkly comic page turner in an unexpected camp setting. A mood-boosting must read for young depressives!
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
2.5 Stars
This is going to be a mini review, because I feel like I don't really have much to say after finishing.

I personally loved the writing style. The journal transcript style narration was super easy to read, and translated Hunter's humor very well. This was also a very raw look at depression, suicide, and recovery. The story was candid and unapologetic, which I really appreciated. And the story never felt like it minimized the characters emotions, or their journey.

I felt like there was a
Jewel Mundt
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine Is Forever is a definite must read for all. Kyle Cowan had done a fantastic job of both addressing the reality of teen depression in our society whilst also taking a readable and darkly comical approach. I love the style with which this book was written as if Hunter is talking straight to me in a comfortable and trustworthy manner. Is has everything it should--sadness, romance, heartbreak, humor, real-life issues, and self-reflection--just to name a few. The ending left me wanting more ...more
Samantha
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Note: I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars for this effort, which was actually quite good. It's never, ever easy to tackle a topic like teen suicide, but I think that Cowan managed it very well. There is nothing worse than when an author tries to gloss over or sugarcoat such a touchy subject, and I was very glad that didn't happen here. IT was honest, raw, and a little heartbreaking at times. Which is the reality of suicide, both the attempts
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Hunter S. Thompson (not the famous one) has tried to kill himself a few times since "the Incident" and his only friend turning her back on him. He is then sent to Camp Sunshine, a rehab center for depressed teens. He soon meets Corin, the only girl to show any interest in him, and she wants him to help her escape. He's been warned repeatedly not to get involved with her but how can he not when she's the only one who makes him feel better about himself? Will he continue to run from his inner demo ...more
Dustin Domingue
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One aspect of a good storyteller is to get readers attached to his/her characters. Mr. Kowan definitely accomplished that. Was I the target audience for this novel? No, but I still got pulled into the story; at first out of curiosity, and then out of compassion for the characters. When a young adult novel's characters remind me of the frame of mind I partially dealt with at that part of my life or of what I see some of my students dealing with, I feel connected. I got reminders of some of the si ...more
Destinee Thomas
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this book to be a complete emotional rollercoaster and I loved every second of it! Initially, I loved the idea of the perspective coming from a (Hilarious) quirky, teenage boy who struggles with his own insecurities. I found the beginning to be very straight forward and I think that is what lured me in so easily. I felt that there was never a dull moment in the novel even from the beginning and that alone was something that brought me to really love this book. I also really loved the cha ...more
Nicole
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine is Forever successfully captures the inner turmoils of insecurity and guilt but also the joys of making lasting connections. The distinctive writing style gives life to Hunter's voice, skillfully handling difficult topics with straightforward candor. Overall, the story flows effortlessly, making for a worthwhile read.
Dave
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Deep, truthful, and raw, Sunshine is Forever is a book that every school library should carry. It's my favorite book so far of 2017, and possibly my favorite Inkshares book so far (Sorry, Slothlove). Read this book, read this book, read this book.
Kate (beautifulbookland)
Okay, so it was a mistake for me reading this book, but this is TOTALLY my own fault, and not in any way a fault with this book.

The thing is, I spent nearly two years in hospital for my mental illnesses, one of which was a secure ward. I thought I would be fine reading this book, but I'm not going to lie, it was pretty triggering for me. It's not like it was really graphic or anything, I'm just really easily triggered and I was having a vulnerable day while reading this book.

So, because of bein
Jason Pomerance
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kyle T. Cowan's SUNSHINE IS FOREVER is a breathtakingly honest and always powerful examination of teenage angst, sort of a ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST for young Millennials. Cowan instantly hooks us into this incisive story of one young man's struggle to fit in to a world that doesn't understand him at all; it's hard to put it down once the plot kicks into gear.

What's so special about this book is how universal it is. Who hasn't, to some degree, experienced the feelings of alienation, loneli
Jamison Stone
Apr 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Sunshine is Forever is a beautifully raw depiction of the human condition, unabashedly showing the heart’s ability to not just survive, but truly thrive. Cowan teaches us that no matter the depths of our darkest depression, so long as we have an open heart of honesty, forgiveness, and self-acountabty, light and love will return—for sunshine, is indeed, forever." - Jamison Stone, author of Rune of the Apprentice
Brooke
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
The greatest strength of Sunshine Is Forever is author Kyle T. Cowan's dedication to unflinching honesty. Every single one of his characters is raw and flawed and the more relatable for it. Through this lens, Cowan is able to capture the doubts, desires and dizzying heights that come with youth. Sunshine is Forever is a tale of self-discovery that reminds us all that we are whole, ever-changing and perfectly imperfect.
Jessica
Shelves: cjsreads
Thanks to Inkshares for the advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinion!

Normally the #CJSReads trio focuses on thrillers, horror, and crime books, so when the publisher sent this along with a few other books I was going into it blindly. SUNSHINE IS FOREVER by Kyle T. Cowan is definitely different from what I normally read, but I'm so happy that I gave it a chance. Teen suicide and depression are topics not too widely covered, and Cowan did a great job making this raw with a twist of dark hum
Eve beinguniquebooks
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hunter is depressed and so he goes off to a camp where they help through therapy to work on the teens and their history.

Whilst at camp, he meets Corrine a very out there, confident girl who he finds himself in a form of relationship with despite relationships being banned at camp. Although she wants to break them free, just as maybe he feels the camp could possibly benefit him...

We learn during the book of the turmoil he feels of guilt by his parents and everyone else he thinks, blaming him for
Lou
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Hunter Samuel Thompson, not the famous writer Hunter S. Thompson, had an incident he refers to as ‘Little Accident,' ever since he has had depression. In this first person narrative with lucid prose uncomplicated and empathic, he has you in his findings of whys of his state of whirlwind of mind and recalling and unravelling for the first time the details to others in the same shoes as him, an unravelling of demons so hard for him and any teen.
He finds himself at Camp Sunshine in Iowa for treatme
Kari
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are summer camp stories and then there are summer camp stories. Cowan has managed to rip off the band-aid to show us the darker side of being a teen in today’s world. At times hilarious and heartbreaking, SUNSHINE IS FOREVER is a powerful YA debut.

Elena Stofle
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read an early copy of the book last year, I couldn't put it down. Must read, seriously.
Joseph Asphahani
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine is Forever has been one of the most rewarding experiences I had in 2017. (God, what a sh**ty year, 2017, huh?!!)

There's something about the shape of the story in Sunshine is Forever. Something about the character, Hunter, that really resonates with me. I too was once a kid that didn't know a damn thing, even though I felt like a know-it-all, and that was all the license I needed to act like one. Like Hunter, I thought I was carrying around the instruction manual to my own life in my ba
Natalie Parkinson
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. What an absolutely, beautifully heartbreaking book. I can't even begin to explain how much I needed this story, and how much I needed these characters...

Let me start off by explaining that I've had a very difficult time getting involved in ANY books lately. Nothing has been able to grab my attention, to completely pull me in like Kyle did with this story. I laughed (a lot) I cried even more. To say I related to Hunter's character is an understatement.

"Life and death are a series of stupid
Kimberly
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book deals with the reality of teen depression and suicide. The content is my go to read, but the Cowan was able to, while dealing with a serious topic, keep it serious but also add some humor.
I enjoyed this book and want to thank Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this book as an ARC.
Kelly
Jun 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Every choice can result in something unfortunate, and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

SUNSHINE IS FOREVER is like Me, Earl, and the Dying Girl meets It's Kind of a Funny Story. After The Incident, Hunter ends up at Camp Sunshine, full of angsty, real, and trustworthy(???) teens. He quickly falls for Corin, a girl with A Past. But when she wants to escape, he has to decide whether he can trust her, and whether running from camp will let him run from his past as well.

In case you don't know,
Anniken Haga
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5

I find it kind of ironic that I DNFed a contemporary YA book, just to start reading another one.
The biggest problem I had with that other one, was that it was only about romance. A random girl being torn between two guys and not really having anything else going on.
SUNSHINE IS FOREVER, though, starts out with telling you that the MC - a teen guy - has tried to kill himself, and now he's being sent to a summer camp for suicidal teens to try and get him back on track.
There is clearly more
Sam (Clues and Reviews)
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
After an “incident” and a suicide attempt, Hunter finds himself heading to Camp Sunshine, the happiest place on earth and haven for depressed teens. Once he arrives, he meets fellow camper, Corin, who hatches a plan to break out of camp. In helping with the plan, Hunter ends up going deep within himself to figure out if he plans to run from the incident that got him to the camp in the first place or if he wants to say and face it head on.

When I first read the synopsis, I was hesitant. I had som
Paula Pugh
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a light and fluffy book but a serious look into the possible thoughts and feelings of a young teen that is deeply depressed-depressed enough to attempt suicide and haunted so deeply by what is called, “The Incident.” The young teen, Hunter S. Thompson, is sent to live the summer at Camp Sunshine a camp with “specialists” to help deeply depressed youth. To Hunter, it is Camp Suicide because every moment he is there he feels more like he wants to commit suicide. He finds there are unwr ...more
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
**Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of SUNSHINE IS FOREVER in exchange for my honest review**

Following what Hunter describes as The Incident he tries to commit suicide three times before being sent to Camp Sunshine. He's immediately attracted to the troubled Corbin, on her third summer at the therapeutic camp, but befriending her could be detrimental to his progress.

Kyle Cowan drew me in with Hunter's comical voice. The teen gave everyone sarcastic nicknames, though at ti
Colton Newman
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sunshine Is Forever is the first of what will hopefully be many young adult novels to come from the author Kyle T. Cowan. In a matter of 262 pages Cowan is able to craft a beautifully moving story about a young teen named Hunter who has found himself in the prison-esque Camp Sunshine where him and an array of other thoughtfully written characters are doomed to spend the summer confronting their past actions that brought them there. While struggling to make friends and clashing with the quite an ...more
ReadingWritingAndMe
Sunshine Is Forever by Kyle T. Cowan
*Trigger warning specifically for self harm and suicide*
Overview: Hunter suffers from depression. While he's dealt with it his whole life through ineffective therapy and medication, his condition is worsened by the Incident which left him an even more absent family and rejection from his friend group. Hunter tries to commit suicide three different ways following the Incident, and each time, only his dad sticks by him. During his latest hospitalization, the dis
Schizanthus Nerd

• Home Before Dark
  • Everybody Sees the Ants
  • Anxious People
  • When We Were Vikings
  • Wicked Fox (Gumiho, #1)
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • Unbound: A Story of Snow and Self-Discovery
  • One Day of Life
  • Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor, #2)
  • Dream Lake (Friday Harbor, #3)
  • Dead Girls Society
  • The Blessing Way (Leaphorn & Chee, #1)
  • Skinwalkers (Leaphorn & Chee, #7)
  • Emergency Contact
  • A Thief of Time (Leaphorn & Chee, #8)
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
  • A Breeze Swept Through: Poetry
Kyle T. Cowan is a gay Actor & Author. He's appeared in The Short History Of The Long Road, Better Call Saul, Preacher, War On Everyone, Manhattan, and Odd Thomas. Sunshine is Forever, Cowan's debut indie novel, is available in most US bookstores and Worldwide on audiobook via Audible.

Cowan is also recognized for Writing, Directing, Producing, Editing, and Starring in the indie feature film Camou