Start by marking “Witchlight” as Want to Read:
Witchlight

Witchlight

Jessi Zabarsky's lushly illustrated shoujo-adventure comic that introduces Lelek the witch as she blows through town one day, kidnapping the peasant girl Sanja. The unlikely pair grow more entangled as they travel together, looking for the missing half of Lelek's soul – the source of her true magical abilities. Both women are seeking to learn, in their own ways, how to be ...more
Published December 3rd 2016 by Czap Books

To ask other readers questions about Witchlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witchlight

Amber
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my first classes in college was an Intro to Philosophy class. The professor used "she" as the default pronoun. It blew my teenage mind. Similarly, Witchlight's world is overwhelmingly populated by queer female characters. They are the default. It's a similar kind of breath of fresh air.
Matt Parker
I loved this so much. It's beautifully drawn, with some of the most striking facial expressions I've ever seen, and the story is superbly paced (though I would've liked a few more pages at the end). The whole thing kinda evoked Earthsea feelings in me: magical drama playing out in small towns and on the journeys between them. But with great warmth and humor.
Sami
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The style in this really reminded me of The Legend of Korra-and so did the two leads! More adorable witch love stories please.
Mollie
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I backed the Czap Books Kickstarter a while back, but hadn't gotten around to reading this until now. Suffice to say, it's a very lovely little comic! The art is really charming, particularly the backgrounds, and the story is well-told and sweet.
I didn't have any particular issues, although I thought the chapters ended a bit abruptly sometimes, and the lack of page numbers made it hard to update progress halfway through.

For the Book Riot Read Harder challenge:
✔ A comic that isn’t published by Ma
A. Nixon
(I read an ARC coming out April 2020.)

This was absolutely adorable. I like the slow development of their friendship (view spoiler) and the world that's been built here makes me want to read even more. It's fascinating!

The art is also super cute! And I like how the artist/author used different colours to show dreams and nighttime sequences. The art really drives the story here and it does a great job.

A sweet, highly engaging read! I didn't mean to read it all at
Juli Anna
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was definitely my favorite graphic novel that I read this year. It's a fantastic witchy adventure story, with two kick-butt women at its center. It's delightfully queer and the world its set in completely normalizes queer femmes and nonbinary people. Plus, there are witch fights! And at its heart, this is a beautiful tale of friendship/romance. I love it all! I will be watching this artist like a hawk for their next book.
Maia
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, lgbtq
Lelek is an angry young witch who makes her living by swindling villagers from town to town. Sanja is the daughter of a merchant who gets tangled up in Lelek's fight with an angry customer. When Lelek sees how well Sanja can handle a sword, she decides to kidnap her. The two girls form an uneasy alliance that softens into friendship as they journey together, through a beautifully drawn world of rolling hills and fields, forests of strange plants and winding rivers.
Caitlin
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked this comic up at Toronto Comic Arts festival back in May and only just got around to reading it. I really enjoyed both the art and the story! So cute!
Berit Johnson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful and touching
Abigael
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lovely comic! <3
Ashlee Null
Fans of Nimona and Tea Dragon Society should def pick this up !!!!!
Andy
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, queer
LOVED this. a great comic about lgbt girls falling in love. it was so lovely and nice. the forgiveness trope was great. i want to wrap everyone in this comic up in a ball and cuddle them forever
Sarah Adams
Apr 03, 2017
Radical
rated it did not like it
Aug 26, 2018