Start by marking “The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder” as Want to Read:
The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

'A new approach to romance... The heroines of Regency novels could teach today's young women a trick or two' Sunday Times

Dating has never been easy. The road to true love has always been rutted with heartbreak, but do we have it any easier today?

How did Victorians 'come out'? How did love blossom in war-torn Europe? And why did 80s video-dating never take off?

Bursting wit
Kindle Edition
Published January 2nd 2018

Start your review of The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder
Richard Butchins
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating insight into dating/mating rituals in the West (primarily the UK). It's a history book and packed with interesting and revealing detail. The author has a breezy and accessible style and makes the subject both compelling and amusing. This would be a great gift or even a good beach read (for those of you that hang about in a horizontal fashion on sand).
Kate
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous but lots of editing errors.
Magda
Sep 13, 2018 added it
This was an ok read.

Though the tiny bibliography section suggests otherwise, it felt reasonably well researched for a popular history book. However I was massively disappointed with the serious lack of analysis - it was a bit more like reading a basic overview of the situation in any given period/decade without too many references to the past (granted, there were some).

I also felt it was too all over the place and grew increasingly tired of the constantly repeated 'meanwhile' or 'in the meantime
Dna
I love a good microhistory, but this was just boring and I never felt compelled to pick it back up after a break and keep reading. On to other books.

Michael Huang
Title says it all: from the Austenian ritual of balls that advertize young girls to potential suitors; to American GIs picking up British girls (fun aside, American GIs earn £700/yr vs £100 for their British counterpart); to today's apps-enhanced dating landscape.
Elizzy B
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesante libro que resume de forma bastante entretenida la escena amorosa/sexual/de parejas de Reino Unido desde la época georgiana hasta nuestros días. Un compendio bastante correcto, y sobre todo, contado de forma clara y resultona, de las costumbres del flirteo, el matrimonio o el adulterio a lo largo de los tiempos.
En algunos casos, las anécdotas arrancan una sonrisa por lo lejos que estamos de ellas, y en otras, algo más amarga, por lo cerca que nos encontramos aunque hayan pasado decena
Kristi Sawyer
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: factual, favourites
I really enjoyed this! The POPSugar challenge required me to read a microhistory, and I am glad I chose this one! This gave me a good journey through history in general, looking at social attitudes and leadership, with a specific focus on relationships and dating. It is humorously written and engaging to read.
Jeremy
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually surprised at the breadth of history covered. While observing from a high level or with broad strokes each time period was encapsulated with a clear view. I’m interested in a second edition in 2050.
Lauren
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I learned a lot of facts that I didn't know before (gives me more ammo to be annoying, heck yes) and I liked how each chapter was broken up into a specific era. Sometimes the writing style bored me a bit and the chapters did seem long, but overall an interesting read!
Meg
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-library
a very brief overview of dating practices throughout the last few centuries, an entertaining enough read to pass the time on public transport. i kept writing down little tidbits that interested me enough to look up in more detail later.
Chelsea
Mar 27, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Whilst I was disappointed that the majority of this is about the 20th century, I really enjoyed that it included the dating behaviours of the LGBT+ community. It is quite an easy read if romance and how it has changed is something that interests you.
Nicole
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reading
Great fun, not as academically rigorous as I would like it to be, but an excellent overview of love and dating through the ages (in the UK) and a great starting off point for further research and/or investigation. (Wonderfully diverse/inclusive too!!!)
Alice Chau-Ginguene
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough history of dating from 18th century to age of Tinder. Very interesting read, couldn’t put it down.
Gigi Engle
Sep 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality
Loved this book. It's hilarious and informative. You'll love this one.
LC
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and frightfully amusing. As the author is British, the book has a basis in the culture of her own country. Would love to read similar equivalents of other countries around the world.
j
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
very informative, but kind of dull. i wish the author would have added more of their personality into the writing
Nicole

• Undo It!: How Simple Lifestyle Changes Can Reverse Most Chronic Diseases
  • Fully Present: The Science, Art, and Practice of Mindfulness
  • Olive
  • Sizing People Up: A Veteran FBI Agent's User Manual for Behavior Prediction
  • The Grid: The Decision-making Tool for Every Business (Including Yours)
  • The Bitcoin Standard: The Decentralized Alternative to Central Banking
  • How Successful People Think: Change Your Thinking, Change Your Life
  • The Disordered Mind: What Unusual Brains Tell Us about Ourselves
  • People From My Neighbourhood
  • Take It as a Compliment
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Penguin Book of Italian Short Stories
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • The Discomfort Zone: How to Get What You Want by Living Fearlessly