Start by marking “The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder” as Want to Read:
The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

'A new approach to romance... The heroines of Regency novels could teach today's young women a trick or two' Sunday Times

Dating has never been easy. The road to true love has always been rutted with heartbreak, but do we have it any easier today?

How did Victorians 'come out'? How did love blossom in war-torn Europe? And why did 80s video-dating never take off?

Bursting wit
Kindle Edition
Published January 2nd 2018

Start your review of The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder
Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂
The best thing about this book is the cover!

It tied the past & present together very well!

This is a book of parts.

Sources & Spelling This book has an extensive bibliography at the back, but doesn't use footnotes &, particularly at the start, Ms Hodgson doesn't always credit her sources. Other reviews mention typos - maybe this edition has been better edited but I didn't notice many. Mrs Jordon was a bad one though - & it was repeated in the index. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorot
huzeyfe
I have been living in the UK for more than 10 years and it's no secret that dating in the UK have their own etiquette, rituals or rules. So, when I see this book I could not help myself but wondering what is the history and reasons behind these social difference.

To be honest this book is full of history and details. As the author is a journalist she did put a lot of effort to provide as much as details. However, what I felt when I finished the book, we could use a little bit more analysis to ma
Kate
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous but lots of editing errors.
Magda
Sep 13, 2018 added it
This was an ok read.

Though the tiny bibliography section suggests otherwise, it felt reasonably well researched for a popular history book. However I was massively disappointed with the serious lack of analysis - it was a bit more like reading a basic overview of the situation in any given period/decade without too many references to the past (granted, there were some).

I also felt it was too all over the place and grew increasingly tired of the constantly repeated 'meanwhile' or 'in the meantime
Richard Butchins
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating insight into dating/mating rituals in the West (primarily the UK). It's a history book and packed with interesting and revealing detail. The author has a breezy and accessible style and makes the subject both compelling and amusing. This would be a great gift or even a good beach read (for those of you that hang about in a horizontal fashion on sand). ...more
Dna
I love a good microhistory, but this was just boring and I never felt compelled to pick it back up after a break and keep reading. On to other books.

Michael Huang
Title says it all: from the Austenian ritual of balls that advertize young girls to potential suitors; to American GIs picking up British girls (fun aside, American GIs earn £700/yr vs £100 for their British counterpart); to today's apps-enhanced dating landscape. ...more
Daniel Skäremo Holmberg
As others have mentioned, this is an informative read, written in a breezy, humorous style, yet clearly well researched. However, as others have mentioned, it's lacking in deeper analysis, and becomes rather disorienting when single chapters attempt to cover an entire decade but keep skipping back and forth through time, sometimes with no clear reference given to when in the decade events mentioned are taking place.

I know this is written as popular history, and is meant to be an easy read, but I
Henry
May 04, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love
- Family background was the main context of courtship (although still relevant today). Queen Victoria's public affection for Albert changed the public's perception of love, and love became a lot more of a public display

- The female's power over courtship increased overtime - to so much that today many male are actually intimidated of complimenting women and scoring a date (hence use apps like Tinder to face rejection more easily)

- During the Great Depression, the high unemployment rate of the me
Elizzy B
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesante libro que resume de forma bastante entretenida la escena amorosa/sexual/de parejas de Reino Unido desde la época georgiana hasta nuestros días. Un compendio bastante correcto, y sobre todo, contado de forma clara y resultona, de las costumbres del flirteo, el matrimonio o el adulterio a lo largo de los tiempos.
En algunos casos, las anécdotas arrancan una sonrisa por lo lejos que estamos de ellas, y en otras, algo más amarga, por lo cerca que nos encontramos aunque hayan pasado decena
Jeff Bobin
Interesting look at the history of dating starting in the early 1900s through the first decade of this century. A look at how it has changed, why those changes came about and the challenges of dating today.

There is a good deal of thought provoking material that lays the groundwork for understanding past generations and why later generations struggle with restrictions and freedoms and there impact on long-term relationship, particularly marriage.
Kristi Priestley
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: factual, favourites
I really enjoyed this! The POPSugar challenge required me to read a microhistory, and I am glad I chose this one! This gave me a good journey through history in general, looking at social attitudes and leadership, with a specific focus on relationships and dating. It is humorously written and engaging to read.
Jeremy
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually surprised at the breadth of history covered. While observing from a high level or with broad strokes each time period was encapsulated with a clear view. I’m interested in a second edition in 2050.
Lauren
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I learned a lot of facts that I didn't know before (gives me more ammo to be annoying, heck yes) and I liked how each chapter was broken up into a specific era. Sometimes the writing style bored me a bit and the chapters did seem long, but overall an interesting read! ...more
Meg
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-library
a very brief overview of dating practices throughout the last few centuries, an entertaining enough read to pass the time on public transport. i kept writing down little tidbits that interested me enough to look up in more detail later.
Chelsea
Whilst I was disappointed that the majority of this is about the 20th century, I really enjoyed that it included the dating behaviours of the LGBT+ community. It is quite an easy read if romance and how it has changed is something that interests you.
Nicole
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-reading
Great fun, not as academically rigorous as I would like it to be, but an excellent overview of love and dating through the ages (in the UK) and a great starting off point for further research and/or investigation. (Wonderfully diverse/inclusive too!!!)
Alice Chau-Ginguene
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough history of dating from 18th century to age of Tinder. Very interesting read, couldn’t put it down.
Dancing Booklion
I listened to this on Audible and I had a lot of fun ! It is informative, entertaining, not boring at all ! I particularly appreciated the inclusion of the LGBT+ history !
Gigi Engle
Jun 05, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating
LC
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and frightfully amusing. As the author is British, the book has a basis in the culture of her own country. Would love to read similar equivalents of other countries around the world.
lol
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
very informative, but kind of dull. i wish the author would have added more of their personality into the writing
Nicole
Sep 24, 2020
CuriousBookReviewer
Feb 02, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Ride the River (The Sacketts, #5)
  • Gods Behaving Badly
  • Culture Warlords: My Journey Into the Dark Web of White Supremacy
  • Northern Armageddon: The Battle of the Plains of Abraham - Eight Minutes of Gunfire That Shaped A Continent
  • Matterhorn
  • To the Far Blue Mountains (The Sacketts, #2)
  • Flashman (The Flashman Papers, #1)
  • Death at La Fenice (Commissario Brunetti, #1)
  • Ghosts
  • Labor of Love: The Invention of Dating
  • The Impulse Purchase
  • Olive
  • Agile Web Development with Rails: A Pragmatic Guide
  • Powershift: How to Master the Three Prongs of Influence to Close Any Deal and Achieve Any Outcome
  • Narrative Economics: How Stories Go Viral and Drive Major Economic Events