Start by marking “The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder” as Want to Read:
The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

The Curious History of Dating: From Jane Austen to Tinder

'A new approach to romance... The heroines of Regency novels could teach today's young women a trick or two' Sunday Times

Dating has never been easy. The road to true love has always been rutted with heartbreak, but do we have it any easier today?

How did Victorians 'come out'? How did love blossom in war-torn Europe? And why did 80s video-dating never take off?

Bursting wit
Kindle Edition
Published January 2nd 2018

Richard Butchins
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fascinating insight into dating/mating rituals in the West (primarily the UK). It's a history book and packed with interesting and revealing detail. The author has a breezy and accessible style and makes the subject both compelling and amusing. This would be a great gift or even a good beach read (for those of you that hang about in a horizontal fashion on sand).
Kate
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Humorous but lots of editing errors.
Michael Huang
Title says it all: from the Austenian ritual of balls that advertize young girls to potential suitors; to American GIs picking up British girls (fun aside, American GIs earn £700/yr vs £100 for their British counterpart); to today's apps-enhanced dating landscape.
Dna
I love a good microhistory, but this was just boring and I never felt compelled to pick it back up after a break and keep reading. On to other books.

Magdalena
Sep 13, 2018 added it
Shelves: owned-kindle
This was an ok read.

Though the tiny bibliography section suggests otherwise, it felt reasonably well researched for a popular history book. However I was massively disappointed with the serious lack of analysis - it was a bit more like reading a basic overview of the situation in any given period/decade without too many references to the past (granted, there were some).

I also felt it was too all over the place and grew increasingly tired of the constantly repeated 'meanwhile' or 'in the meantime
Kristi Sawyer
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: factual, favourites
I really enjoyed this! The POPSugar challenge required me to read a microhistory, and I am glad I chose this one! This gave me a good journey through history in general, looking at social attitudes and leadership, with a specific focus on relationships and dating. It is humorously written and engaging to read.
Meg
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very brief overview of dating practices throughout the last few centuries, an entertaining enough read to pass the time on public transport. i kept writing down little tidbits that interested me enough to look up in more detail later.
Chelsea
Whilst I was disappointed that the majority of this is about the 20th century, I really enjoyed that it included the dating behaviours of the LGBT+ community. It is quite an easy read if romance and how it has changed is something that interests you.
Nicole Burstein
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Great fun, not as academically rigorous as I would like it to be, but an excellent overview of love and dating through the ages (in the UK) and a great starting off point for further research and/or investigation. (Wonderfully diverse/inclusive too!!!)
Alice Chau-Ginguene
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very thorough history of dating from 18th century to age of Tinder. Very interesting read, couldn’t put it down.
LC
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful and frightfully amusing. As the author is British, the book has a basis in the culture of her own country. Would love to read similar equivalents of other countries around the world.
jenice
very informative, but kind of dull. i wish the author would have added more of their personality into the writing
Janice Formichella
Jesse Whitson
Chiranjit Samanta
Mar 14, 2019
Shinta Trinovia
rated it did not like it
Dec 30, 2017
Sarah Vickers
Apr 15, 2018
Alice Wass
Feb 03, 2018
Cyndie
Aug 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Good to Go: What the Athlete in All of Us Can Learn from the Strange Science of Recovery
  • Invisible: How Young Women with Serious Health Issues Navigate Work, Relationships, and the Pressure to Seem Just Fine
  • The Death of Josseline: Immigration Stories from the Arizona Borderlands
  • Librerías
  • D-Day Girls: The Spies Who Armed the Resistance, Sabotaged the Nazis, and Helped Win World War II
  • Ways of Grace: Stories of Activism, Adversity, and How Sports Can Bring Us Together
  • Cozy: The Art of Arranging Yourself in the World
  • Shrewed: A Wry and Closely Observed Look at the Lives of Women and Girls
  • Bordering Fires: The Vintage Book of Contemporary Mexican and Chicana and Chicano Literature
  • This Scot of Mine (The Rogue Files, #4)
  • Gil Marsh
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • A Sprinkle of Spirits (Love Sugar Magic, #2)
  • Poison: An Illustrated History
  • Nine Lessons I Learned from My Father
  • Switchers: How Smart Professionals Change Careers - And Seize Success
  • A Rogue by Night (The Devils of Dover, #3)
  • Brain and Behavior: A Cognitive Neuroscience Perspective