Jump to ratings and reviews

Chaos

Aleksandr Zorin is a sadistic psychopath responsible for the magnificent and untimely ends of dozens of lives. Exploiting the ineptitude of those who would hunt him, he's remained invisible for years. No one knows he exists. But soon enough, the world shall behold the true extent of his artistry.

FBI profiler Nicholas Keegan has an uncanny ability to descend into the darkest recesses of the most ravaged minds. When a colleague calls for help with an unusual case, Nick is thrust into the hunt for a predator unlike any he's ever faced. And it's one that may well cost him everything that matters.

"Aleksandr Zorin is, hands down, the new millennium's Hannibal Lecter. I loved this book."
-Jessie Chandler, award-winning author of the Shay O'Hanlon caper series

314 pages, Kindle Edition

First published November 29, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

D.J. Schuette

4 books7 followers
D.J. Schuette is an author, blogger, editor, and publisher currently residing in the endless cornfields of Iowa. Sometimes writing as Julian Kincaid, his work covers a variety of genres, from dark thrillers, to horror, to YA fantasy and beyond. He is a published and award-winning songwriter and poet and the creator of enterthemaelstrom.com, a fictional blog written from the perspective of Aleksandr Zorin, the serial killer featured in Chaos. Visit his website at www.djschuette.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews
Profile Image for Hayley.
257 reviews
January 7, 2020
I don't normally read thrillers, but I took a chance on this one and I'm really glad I did. A truly terrifying and fascinating serial killer, really good and interesting procedural plot, and a brilliant profiler who puts me in mind of a less socially-awkward Will Graham. Really dark and skin-crawly in places, but I couldn't put this one down.

Now to give it to my mother, who I'm sure will really love it as well. :)
Profile Image for Rowena Hoseason.
451 reviews21 followers
February 10, 2017
This battle of wits between a sadistic killer and the FBI investigator hunting him will strike a chord with fans of the TV series ‘Hannibal’. The duel between profiler Nick Keegan and serial killer Aleksandr Zorin is every bit as compelling and intense as Will Graham’s ongoing struggle with Lecter himself. Similarly, the web of excruciating deaths which draws Keegan into the investigation is as inventively awful as any of the murders seen on the screen.

But ‘Chaos’ isn’t simply an homage to a genre masterpiece, even though it echoes the themes and procedures so familiar from ‘Red Dragon’ and SOTL. It’s a white-knuckle page-turner in its own right which introduces a chilling psychopathic killer, a murderer warped and honed by his traumatic upbringing. FBI profiler Nick Keegan is Zorin’s mirror-image; similarly shaped by pivotal events in his formative years, equally dedicated to his cause – perhaps incurring fatal costs to his friends and family.

Author DJ Schuette adroitly balances the nitty-gritty of modern crime investigation – a multi-state, multi-agency hunt for a previously unsuspected unsub – with a non-stop barrelling narrative. The procedural attention to detail feels realistic: the gruesome crime scenes meticulously depicted. The action pauses only to deliver emotional moments of genuine intensity. Schuette's plotting is consistent and coherent, and his characters have credible depth. By the final killer chapter you understand that almost anything can happen as the central characters spiral towards mutual annihilation.

This is unusually accomplished writing for an indie ebook. Snap it up, people: this is a top-notch psychological thriller from an author who really delivers. The great news is that a sequel appears to be in the pipeline: can’t wait.
9/10

There's a longer version of this review over at https://murdermayhemandmore.wordpress...
Profile Image for Ronald Marshall.
15 reviews
April 5, 2017
This is an Actual FBI Thriller

This story keep me interested using abbreviations that are real government agencies. The plot was intriguing and I could not put it down.TM
Profile Image for Rowena Hoseason.
451 reviews21 followers
February 8, 2017

9/10

Profile Image for Vigilant Reader.
272 reviews12 followers
April 15, 2017
Title – Chaos
Author – D.J. Schuette
Genre – Thriller
Amazon Pages
Rating 5 stars out of 5 Posted 4/15/17
19 - 2017

Definition of Chaos: Complete disorder and confusion.

My impressions: cruel, sick, sadistic, extreme violence, brilliant, capable psychopath, evil incarnate.

Main Characters:
Nicholas Keegan – FBI, forensic criminologist
Aleksandr Zorin – serial killer, diabolical murderer.

Chaos takes place across the USA, but the main action narrows down to the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

A new computer program created by FBI agent Nicholas Keegan allows information about serious crimes to be cross referenced to detect those that are possibly attributable to a single serial killer. As the number of similar crimes starts to grow, Nicholas is repulsed by the intense pain inflicted by the psychopath killer they have uncovered.
But Nicholas has his own personal issues to deal with; his wife is expecting their first child and resents his job always taking priority. She craves more quality time with him while she fully supports his efforts to stop the diabolical killer. That alone has a major impact on the story’s conclusion.
Nicholas eventually meets Zorin and is intrigued to learn the antagonist knows so much about his personal life.

This is a difficult story to review without giving away the direction the plot takes to its terrific conclusion. I can only say it is one of the best stories I’ve read, if you can stomach the gory descriptions of the horrific crimes perpetrated on the killer’s victims. There are great investigative exchanges and deductions

The editing and sentence structure are excellent as is character development. There are multiple support characters who, of course, are not developed fully because they come and go as needed.
The writing style is powerful and full of conflict and the plot is a fresh look at the typical serial killer novel.
Thorough research is evident in the depth of details revealed in the sadistic murders.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and highly recommend it, but readers who object to detailed, horrific torture that is inflicted to cause slow, painful deaths should chose to pass on these vivid portrayals.

This review was provided in exchange for a free book.
Vigilant Reader Book Reviews.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1 review
December 15, 2016
Thrilling, fast-paced, and with twists and turns of plot that will make you catch your breath, Chaos keeps the reader enthralled to the very last letter. The characters are true to life, the plot is mesmerizing, and the bad guy is like no one crime fiction has ever encountered before. His terrifying methods, acute attention to every grotesque detail, and the scope of his murderous past will chill you as well as impress you, and you'll find yourself hungry to learn more about both him and the man who is hunting him. Or... is hunted by him...
Profile Image for Candice.
27 reviews1 follower
March 20, 2017
I throughly enjoyed this book! I couldn't put it down and I was kept captivated throughout! The next book needs to come out soon!!
Profile Image for Derrick Hodge.
62 reviews2 followers
July 14, 2017
Overall, I really enjoyed this book! It was on the darker side, but I enjoy dark so it didn't bother me too much. (Having said that I can state enough how mad I am at the ending...!!!)
3 reviews
November 7, 2020
I don’t usually write reviews cause I have a hard time describing why I liked a book but this is my exception. Wow what a suspenseful, nail biter, well written, cant put down psychological thriller. D J Schuette puts so much research and detail into his work that I almost feel sorry for him, the shocking detail he had to research would wreck just about anyone’s mind. He writes in a well thought out story with very believable characters that you are immediately drawn into and want to find out how things work out.
I thought I might not be able to finish but once I started I could hardly put it down. There are some graphic scenes, but it’s s not gratuitous. Not for the faint of heart. Cant wait for Maelstrom the 2nd book in the series.
1,433 reviews3 followers
August 23, 2019
Good, I know this author. Will definitely read the next one.
Displaying 1 - 10 of 10 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.