Start by marking “The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups” as Want to Read:
The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups

The Culture Code: The Secrets of Highly Successful Groups

An essential book that unlocks the secrets of highly successful groups and provides readers with a toolkit for building a cohesive, innovative culture, from the New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code
Published January 30th 2018 by Bantam (first published April 7th 2016)

Carol (Bookaria)
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
This is a nonfiction book that explores how groups succeed achieving their goals.

It describes the characteristics of successful groups in different fields including sports teams and corporate environments. I learned new insights on what makes people genuinely engage in organizational goals.

I recommend the book to anybody in management positions or people that have to work in groups or teams.
Aimee (Book It Forward)
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is phenomenal! Who knew that reading a book about groups of people would be so interesting?? From chapter one I was immediately hooked. I learned so much and found myself engrossed in the stories about how the Navy Seals became such an incredible group, how PIXAR has churned out so many of my favorite movies and about how for one Christmas during wartime both sides called a truce and stopped fighting. This is just the tip of the iceberg too. There are a ton of stories about business le ...more
Jenn "JR"
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to get a copy of this as an ARC from NetGalley - and devoured it!

I'm fascinated by the subjects of leadership and teams these days, mostly because I have experienced great team leadership in the past but too infrequently. After enjoying "Turn This Ship Around" -- this seemed like a great follow-on.

In the first chapter, the author describes an experiment in teamwork and collaboration -- conducted between two different groups: kindergarteners and college students. The goal was
Alex
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Little practical insight beyond what's obvious. I'm surprised by high ratings here.
Suzanne
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really engaging, inspiring, and helpful book about the often subtle or misunderstood behaviors that make a team successful. There were so many great stories that Coyle has surfaced here! Some of my favorites:

An experiment was run where entrepreneurs presented ideas to a group of angel investors. Tracking just the social cues exchanged by presenter and audience predicted the rankings by the investors with nearly perfect accuracy. So the content of pitch didn’t matter as much as the set
Mehrsa
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting stories and pretty useful advice. Some of the same successes touted by all the business books (Pixar, Google, SEALS), but some new ones too (Daniel Meyers restaurants and pilots). It's fairly obvious that we need belonging cues, but I think sometimes we forget that even in board rooms and business settings, we are still primates who would die for friends and kill enemies.
Nyamka Ganni
One of the best business and psychology books I've ever read. Yes, it's full of old ideas and talked about topics, yet it is urgent and relevant as ever, nonetheless.

Cheryl
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Mr. Coyle does a great job with this book. Everyone from normal people living their daily lives like me to management and Jeff Bezos can find something useful in this book. In fact, Mr. Bezos would probably outline many of the steps and advice in this book as to how he built Amazon to the successful empire that it is today and still growing.

As I was reading this book I could see practical ways that my employer could apply these principles better; especially in meetings and coming together for a
Jay Hennessey
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely LOVED this book! Dan Coyle does an amazing job of showing the converging validity of behaviors of the Highest Performing organizations.

Organized broadly as psychological safety, vulnerability, and purpose (communication and alignment), it was fascinating to see how leaders and organizations made this happen, across a wide spectrum of organizations.

I was intrigued by the variety of ways that organizations and leaders create safety and trust - in general, it was by social interactions,
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best business / behavioral psychology books I've read in a long time! The examples were incredibly engaging, and drew from a variety of industries to make their points. As I read, I kept getting new ideas for things I could change on my own team to improve results. Highly recommend this book to anyone who leads a team!
KatieMc
My boss recommend this book. I keep thinking it's called the Code Culture, but no, it's not about coding groups. Instead it outlines some key attributes that make for strong teamwork. The book is filled with examples from many types of teams (sports, military, business). For those who will never read the book, the 3 big takeaways:
1. Build a safe environment. Everyone must feel a sense of belonging and safe to participate. This gets at some basic anthropological in-group vs. out-group dynamics. T
Cara Putman
Jul 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is an incredibly readable and story packed key to creating cultures that work. As a professor at a business school, I already have a list of classes that I will recommend this book to for personal study. It is jammed with examples of what works (and on occasion what does not) to create a culture where people feel committed and safe contributing. Tips are woven in with the stories, but the author also has a summary chapter after each of the three key areas that he uses to give a litany ...more
Erik Reagan
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
There are some great nuggets in this book. Like with many books in the business genre, these nuggets of wisdom are buried within story after story that put the wisdom into practical terms. I can appreciate that as a learner, but the quantity of stories seemed a bit excessive to me. Thankfully they were all interesting. :)

My main gripe with the book overall is simply its length. I could have learned just as much with half the stories.

The final chapter really brought things home well. I’m glad I r
Kat
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have to admit I'm a little surprised at the glowing reviews. It was only 300 pages but it seemed so much longer - could have easily been half the length and gotten the points across. In these 304 pages, I find it hard to believe that the author was unable to interview more than a single woman in a leadership role (oh, actually, there was a second woman mentioned for a paragraph - she was a waitress at one of Danny Meyer's restaurants in NYC). What follows is chapters and chapters of advice fro ...more
Denis Vasilev
Часто грущу от бизнес книг написанных журналистами. Истина у них редко будет мешать созданию хорошей истории. Ну и за все хорошее и против всего плохого.
Jane
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, nonfiction
Why do some teams and organizations excel while others simply aren't as creative/effective/lasting? It isn't skills or intelligence, but the environment in which they work. Coyle conveys the research and shining examples of how creating a sense of true belonging, allowing for vulnerability, conveying a clear purpose, and more, creates the right space. Yes in a sense these things are old news, but Coyle gets into the specifics of what each means, with concrete actions leaders can take to recreate ...more
Andrew
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Do I belong?" "Are we safe?" "Do we have a future together?"

These aren't questions posed by early humans reaching out to build a community that will eventually trust and nurture its members. Answering "yes" to these questions indicates a high-performing team. Because teamwork is essentially about building a common micro-culture with ties that bind.

I haven't come across a business book that puts a lump in my throat. But this one did because it is full of stories that exude warmth, belonging, and
James
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A lot of business books use examples that are not varied enough or only highlight one industry. The author does a terrific job choosing illustrative examples of great teams from an incredibly broad array of industries. The public sector is left out, unfortunately, but otherwise it's great. The concepts of safety, vulnerability, and purpose really resonated with me.

Overall, it's a very enjoyable read - never dry - and sticks to its core framework. Easy to understand. I would definitely recommend
Dave
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leaders need to create a positive environment where people feel comfortable if they are wrong or fail. Not that failure is good. This starts at the top by the leader admitting vulnerability and owning mistakes. It also finds that one bad apple really can spoil the bunch unless they are handled with TLC. I have been in organizations that are the negative example and the positive so I fel the author is right on these thing. Like Navy SEALs say there are no bad teams just bad leaders.
Venky
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bibliocase
"The Culture Code" seeks to unearth the secret behind a quintessential question that has been a quandary spanning geographies, time spans and intellects - "Why are some Groups more efficient than the rest?". In this book, the best selling author of "The Talent Code" attempts to unravel the mystery and makes a commendable fist of it. Relying on scientific, meticulous and measurable research and results, Daniel Coyle goes into the very core of what makes a team click.

Citing a range of examples fro
Jeanie Phillips
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Do you lead a team? Work with others? Belong to the human race? Then this book is for you. Coyle expertly spells out three skills that make groups more successful: building safety, sharing vulnerability, and establishing purpose. His suggestions and ideas seem common-sensical, yet so often we do the opposite and limit our collective potential. His examples and stories bring home the power of focusing on belonging, sharing weaknesses and failures, and clarifying intentions. I loved this book and ...more
Zornitsa Tomova
Pretty nice read, reminds me of Michael Gladwell's work in a way. Lots of interesting stories and examples, as well as useful insights for culture design and change. Love Coyle's courage to attempt to dissect and explain something as complex as culture. I don't feel he made it, but he definitely did a good step in that direction.
Sean O
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was the right book for the right time. I had been thinking about what makes a good culture in an organization, and this book showed up in a friend’s living room.

It’s a quick read but it’s worth rereading. My highlights were definitely made for future reference.

If you’re responsible for a group that needs to work together, this is a good book to read.
Sadie Forsythe
Looks interesting. It'll be a while before I get to read it though. I passed it to my husband, who is studying team building and behaviors.
Linda Vituma
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jā, jā, jā!! Nosaukt vārdā, lai piešķirtu spēku. Nosaukt vārdā, lai skaidrāks skats. Nosaukt vārdā, lai dotu iespēju piedzīvot skaisto, radošo, nebijušo. Trāpīgi un iedvesmojoši.
Margi
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy to digest ideas about how to build and nurture a success team or group. Includes lots of examples and anecdotes about successful groups including Navy Seals, San Antonio Spurs and Pixar.

Mugizi Rwebangira
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm inclined to give this 3.5 stars.

One thing is I didn't realize that this author has written another book ("The Talent Code"), if I had known I would have checked that out first.

I suppose I should start with the criticisms first. It was entertaining enough, but for large sections I got the sense that it had many of the same platitudes as in any other "management book". It just felt a bit too fluffy and padded to a certain extent, without a lot of rigor.

I mean you could just go interview a bunc
Casey Wheeler
I received a free Kindle copy of The Culture Code by Daniel Coyle courtesy of Net Galley and Random House, the publisher. It was with the understanding that I would post a review to Net Galley, Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes and Noble and my nonfiction book review blog. I also posted it to my Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Google Plus pages.

I requested this book as I have read a great deal about corporate culture and the development of teams. This is the first book by Daniel Coyle that I have read.

T
Roy
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Decent book. I preferred the Talent Code, but this is a good overview for why it's better working as a team.

The discussion about how kindergarteners outperform business management majors (and pretty much anyone else) was interesting. Some practical things in there, but mostly a decent overview, similar to Adam Grant/Shawn Achor's new books.
Michael Huang
Without thinking about group dynamics and just pick members based on individual skills then you might be disappointed at the results. MBA teams often establish hierarchy and have lost to kindergartener teams as the latter pursue a completely different approach. It turns out we perform best when we receive cues that bolster our feeling of safety. As a leader, a few simple and effective ways to make people feel safe are:

1. Listen to them and constantly interjecting words of affirmation (e.g., "rig
Daniel Coyle is the author of the upcoming book The Culture Code (January 2018). He is the New York Times bestselling author of The Talent Code, The Little Book of Talent, The Secret Race (with Tyler Hamilton), and other books. Winner (with Hamilton) of the 2012 William Hill Sports Book of the Year Prize, he is a contributing editor for Outside magazine, and also works a special advisor to the Cle ...more
“Vulnerability doesn’t come after trust—it precedes it. Leaping into the unknown, when done alongside others, causes the solid ground of trust to materialize beneath our feet.” 9 likes
“Give a good idea to a mediocre team, and they’ll find a way to screw it up. Give a mediocre idea to a good team, and they’ll find a way to make it better. The goal needs to be to get the team right, get them moving in the right direction, and get them to see where they are making mistakes and where they are succeeding.” 5 likes