Start by marking “Hymn: The Final Volume of the Psalms of Isaak” as Want to Read:
Hymn: The Final Volume of the Psalms of Isaak

Hymn: The Final Volume of the Psalms of Isaak

(Psalms of Isaak #5)

Ken Scholes completes his five-book epic that began with his acclaimed first novel Lamentation. The battle for control of The Named Lands has captivated readers for ten years as both characters and readers have learned the true nature of world called Lasthome.

Now the struggle between the Andro-Francine Order of the Named Lands and the Y Zirite Empire has reached a terrible
Published December 5th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Hymn, please sign up.
Ken Scholes Nope. It's been delayed by various life events but I'm about three weeks out from finishing the book. So it's on the way. Thanks for hanging in there.…moreNope. It's been delayed by various life events but I'm about three weeks out from finishing the book. So it's on the way. Thanks for hanging in there. (less)

Paul Goat
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me knows how much I love Ken Scholes’ five-volume Psalms of Isaak saga. Launched in 2009 with Lamentation, I remember being blown away by the addictively readable fusion of science fiction and fantasy, masterful world-building, and brilliantly intricate storyline. I’d never read anything quite like it—and that’s saying something coming from a book critic who has reviewed 8,000+ titles over the last 20+ years. I remember going so far as predicting that the Psalms of Isaak had the ...more
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This was a tough series to grade for. I just could not get into the story and struggled through it. I can not put my finger on why I struggled so much with it. I think it was partly due to the pervasive torture scenes and the lack of connection to the characters. However, I appreciated the the very creative world-building and the unique blending of fantasy, steampunk and sci-fi genres. I think that was the only thing that kept me reading all 5 books in the series. I suspect I am in the minority ...more
Mridupawan  Podder
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
What a ride it has been.

Hymm marks the end of an era. The conclusion we had been waiting for comes crashing down on the Named Lands blurring the lines between mortals and gods, legends and facts. Suffice to say, this is one of those series that completely swept me away by the sheer audacity of the author's imagination. The only other authors I can think of are Brandon Sanderson (to an extent) and the much under-hyped Adrian Tchaikovsky.

Years of gap between publications aside, Ken Scholes takes t
Mike
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Finally finished with the Psalms of Isaak. I think this series was a couple of years ahead of the resurgance of Dying Earth type stories and further hampered by a few publishing hiccups. Still this is a fitting end to an original and exciting fantasy series that needs more attention.
Pavlo Tverdokhlib
As with every concluding volume of a series that's got 3 or more books, the main question I ask myself is: "Did the author succeed in wrapping up the story?" Short answer: Scholes mostly does.

"Psalms of Isaak" is a very interesting series, that started with a very focused cast and plot-centered around the aftermath of a single profound event in Book 1, and proceeded to expand the scope of its story with every subsequent installment, introducing a rich and forgotten backstory dating back millenn
Chris Bauer
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simply put, worth the wait.

Ken Scholes final work in the Psalms of Isaak is a fitting swan song for the series. Our favorite characters are back with complex challenges and goals. The world building somehow manages to extend and enrich the already well-defined setting. Scholes' writing is at best when depicted the "tough conversations" and those crucible moments every great character must face and overcome. The pace is an interesting combination of frenzied action, perplexing mystery, pauses, un
Bill Reynolds
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I understand that the gaps between Requiem & Hymn (and to a lesser extent between Antiphon & Requiem) were beyond the author's control, but I can't pretend that it didn't affect my enjoyment to some extent. I'd forgotten how the earlier books (and it's my issue that they were buried too deep in the archives to pull them out and get caught up) ended, and even who a couple of the characters were. It probably cost this concluding volume a *. From about the halfway point in Hymn, though, I w ...more
Monica Lindquist-cain
What to Read Next?

I have thoroughly enjoyed the entire series. The wait for Hymn seemed like forever but turns out, well worth it! The story telling is such that you feel like you're in the middle of it all. You feel the deep pain, sorrow, love all in a unique and fresh setting!
Karl
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to discover Ken Scholes through a writing workshop when the first four books of Psalms were already in print. I adored the first book, struggled with the second, and found my way again with the third and fourth volumes.

In this last book, Scholes moves a lot of pieces around the board, setting up resolutions for the characters and the many, many plot threads in this grand tapestry. Not everything worked for me, but I see where the writer made his choices and why.

The importa
John Adams
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
A good enough conclusion to a series that does some really impressive work deconstructing cycles of violence and revenge and critiquing religious fundamentalism but doesn't undo the plot issues introduced in the middle volumes (with the characters' loyalties, betrayals, and motivations becoming so labyrinthine as to be incomprehensible).
Virginia
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Epic

I've devoured Ken Scholes' books every time he's published one. The final volume was like a fine, gourmet dessert. Rich and complex and you just want to savor every bite. Read the series and know the ending is exactly the right kind of meal that leaves you fulfilled and satisfied.
Charlotte
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good ending to the series, though it took me awhile to remember some things, since it's been so long since I read the previous book.

I highly recommend this sci-fi/fantasy series, with the caveat that it's pretty dark.
J.w. Wartick
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A worthy conclusion to a very solid series. I loved how chock full of ideas this series was. There were maybe too many viewpoints towards the end, but overall it was excellent. Steampunk with science fantasy elements alongside epic fantasy. The series as a while develops greatly over time.
Chris
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth the wait!! Thanks Ken!
Felix
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read this series - do yourself a favor and read it!
Wm
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A worthy conclusion to a very solid--at times lovely and startling--work of science fantasy.
Joel
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A lovely and fitting end to the journey this series has taken me on.
Becky
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fitting end to the Psalms. I would just like to say that I really, REALLY want a kin-dragon!
Diana Bennett
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Regret

My regret is thatkens book has come to an end. I truly love where he has gone with this series. I look forward to future adventures
Jessica Strider
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pros: lots of twists and turns, great character moments, touching ending

Cons:

Picking up immediately where Requiem left off, Neb still needs the staff that Vlad Li Tam is using to terrorize the Y’Zirite Empire. Amyle D’Anjite has disappeared with her kin-dragon, on a mission to oppose Neb and the work he and Patronus are doing on the moon. Orius, Lysias, and Rudolfo work towards clearing the Named Lands of Y’Zirite soldiers. In the aftermath of the Final Dream, Winteria Bat Mardic begins preachi
Eric Harper
Jan 11, 2018
Stacey Hewett
Jan 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Chains of the Heretic (Bloodsounder's Arc, #3)
  • Century of the Soldier (The Monarchies of God #3-5)
  • The Gate of Fire (Oath Of Empire Book Two)
  • The City of Ice (The Gates of the World, #2)
  • Bardo or Not Bardo
  • boring boring boring boring boring boring boring
  • The Broken Isles (Legends of the Red Sun, # 4)
  • Behindlings (Thames Gateway, #2)
  • The Secret Books of Paradys (Secret Books of Paradys, #1-4)
  • The Wanderer
  • The Braided Path (The Braided Path, #1-3)
  • Trial of Intentions (The Vault of Heaven, #2)
  • Princeps (Imager Portfolio, #5)
  • Cry of the Newborn (The Ascendants of Estorea, #1)
  • Escapement (Clockwork Earth #2)
  • Woman's World
  • A Plunder of Souls (Thieftaker Chronicles, #3)
  • Blood of the Four
Ken Scholes is the award-winning, critically-acclaimed author of five novels and over fifty short stories. His work has appeared in print for over sixteen years. His series, The Psalms of Isaak, is published by Tor Books and his short fiction has been released in three volumes by Fairwood Press.

Ken's eclectic background includes time spent as a label gun repairman, a sailor who never sailed, a so

Psalms of Isaak (5 books)
  • Lamentation (Psalms of Isaak, #1)
  • Canticle (Psalms of Isaak, #2)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • Requiem (Psalms of Isaak, #4)