Start by marking “Kids of Appetite” as Want to Read:
Kids of Appetite

Kids of Appetite

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  5,406 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews
"Funny, sweet, utterly heart-wrenching." --Entertainment Weekly

The New York Times bestseller from the critically acclaimed author of Mosquitoland

Victor Benucci and Madeline Falco have a story to tell.
It begins with the death of Vic's father.
It ends with the murder of Mad's uncle.
The Hackensack Police Department would very much like to hear it.
But in order to tell their
Published September 5th 2017 by Speak (first published September 20th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Kids of Appetite, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Leprecat O'Kin
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  5,406 ratings  ·  1,006 reviews

Christine Riccio
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting read for me. I didn't LOVE LOVE IT like I can't stop reading and all that jazz (it had a more somber tone to it and I always move more slowly through sadder plot lines), but I enjoyed how different it was and the diversity of its characters. Here's the link to my full review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFAcR...
Adam Silvera
I Lived and I Laughed (and I Loved) And I Saw It Was (Very Frakkin') Good.
Larry H
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was devouring (no pun intended) David Arnold's sensational new book, Kids of Appetite , I started pondering the existential question, "Why do I read?" As you'd probably imagine there isn't one easy answer to that question—at different times I may read for entertainment, escape, information, motivation, or to be moved, and quite often it's a combination of more than one of those.

While I didn't set out to read Kids of Appetite to be moved, this story of the bonds of friendship, preserving
Andrew Smith
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrew by: Larry H
Shelves: y-a, netgalley
This book is presented as fiction for 14 – 18 year olds and though I’m (ahem) slightly outside this age bracket I’d read this brilliant review from Larry and I just had to take a look at it for myself. And what a joy it was.

It starts out as a murder mystery, as two people are being questioned by police over a murder. They are evasive – they are certainly hiding something. Then we slip back in time a week. Sixteen year old Vic has Mobius syndrome, a condition that means he can neither blink or sm
may ❀
buddy read #5 with Pragya let's hope this one doesn't disappoint :) :)

DNF @ 30%

Disclaimer: There’s nothing wrong with this book. In fact, I’m sure it’s probably a great, exceptional, heartwarming book, nonetheless, I didn’t feel any of those sentiments. . . so continue on with the review.

Reading Kids of Appetite, is like being that one friend in a group who doesn’t get the inside jokes. And it’s really not fun. .-.

There are so many unexplained phrases, puzzling memories, and weird
C.G. Drews
I wanted to read this mainly because I feel very strongly about how relatable the title is. I mean, aPPETITE? me. However this is the 3rd David Arnold book I've read and the 3rd time it hasn't...meshed. So I think it's me just me agshoshgshgrr. I find them the characters wholly pretentious and philosophical that I don't understand their thought process. I liked the found-family aspect of this (dysfunctional kid gang ftw) but the plot and style turned me thrice into a potato.

(I appreciate the tho
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Oct 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not Pragya great job DNFing this my girl
Wow, wow, wow. Y'all really want to continue writing The Fault On Our Stars v2: mental illness instead of cancer. Ugh. Can't we move past this phase of YA? Can't we move past using mental illnesses as characters? Can't we stop with this manic pixie everything bullshit? Can't we actually write some damn books instead of covering our lacking plots and lacking everythings with purple prose? Can't we write stories with some fucking plot?

Are you ready for my controversial, maybe inaccurate theory? No
Stefani Sloma
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs
If anyone was silly enough to be worried that David Arnold's second book wouldn't live up to his wonderful debut, MOSQUITOLAND, they should rest assured that it does. KIDS OF APPETITE is brilliant, incredible, emotional, sensitive, not what I was expecting and better than I could hope for. David has a sensitivity in his writing that I haven't seen anywhere else and his characters have an intensity and passion for life that you can really feel in his writing and that will light your soul on fire. ...more
prag ♻
DNF @6%

If May's not doing it, I'm not doing it. (I have no willpower) (If I read one more page of everyone saying frak I will gouge my eyes out) (I have no idea what the hell happened I was so in love w Mosquitoland)
Emily May
I was intrigued by this, but I think I can finally say that Arnold's writing and his precocious - to the point of being unbelievable - teens are not for me. Those who think John Green is one of the best YA writers ever will probably like this a lot more than I did.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I decided to read this book partly because of the amazing cover. Seriously, the cover just screams "read me" to me. It wasn't just the cover that grabbed my interested though. I loved the synopsis and have had the author's debut novel on my TBR since it was released. I am glad that I made the decision to read this book. I actually read the whole book in a day which is unusual these days.

The characters really made this a very interesting story
Kenchiin
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you think this book is pretentious go see a doctor.
Silanur
Chill people. I know this book isn't specifically about Isabel. It's only what I assumed back in October of last year when there was no information about this book besides the title. I can read synopses, I assure you of that.

COVER AND SYNOPSIS. Hmm. Very interested. I hope it's as quirky and fun as Mosquitoland.

~

Could this be...the sequel to Mosquitoland?

Because remember? On page 324 of Mosquitoland, Mim writes to Isabel:

"Be a kid of appetite, Iz. You know what I mean, don't you? Of course you
Nicola Yoon
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big-hearted and sooooo beautiful!
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Actual rating: 4.5

Holy crap, David Arnold has done himself with this sophomore novel!

All the love for:
- the book's unique format/nonlinear narrative
- Coco, who faux-cussed adorably and made me laugh too loud
- Baz and Zuz, two brothers with kind, sensitive souls
- Mad, whose love for reading was wonderful to read about
- Vic, whose thoughts were so smart and eloquent and whose grief was genuine
- the beautifully diverse and striking cast
- the light romance between the two protagonists and the wonde
Elise
Jun 11, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley, ebook
Ohmigod this book sounds absolutely AWESOME! I can't wait to read it!!!
emi
Though pretentious at times, I enjoyed this book overall. Like I say all the time, and yet never act upon, review to come.
Rebecca
David Arnold’s second YA novel opens in a Hackensack, NJ Police Dept. interrogation room. Someone is dead, but we don’t learn who, why or how for quite a while. For now, the reader’s task is to figure out how the events of the past week have landed sixteen-year-old Vic Benucci and his new girlfriend, Mad Falco, here; and why they are trying to drag out their questioning for as long as possible. The first-person perspective shifts from Vic to Mad throughout, and flips between their respective int ...more
Monica
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
Fantastic! Exactly the right mix of humor and humanity.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Another super great read! Kids of Appetite really is something special. The characters are diverse and their voices are so clear and witty. Similarly to Mosquitoland, KOA has a series of fast paced events but is mostly character focused. Uh, I just really liked it.
Erin Dunn
Jan 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I received a free ebook copy in exchange for an honest review via FirstToRead. DNF @ about 10%. This just isn't for me. I don't know why, but I was bored. I've never read this author before and the writing wasn't bad. Just not for me I guess.
Stacee

I requested this because I had heard a lot of great things from friends {Cody, I'm looking at you} and it was all over IG as well. Even though I wasn't sure it sounded like my sort of thing, I gave it a try.

I loved the characters. Vic and Mad and the others are so vivid on the page. The back and forth of the past and present chapters was done in an interesting way. I definitely didn't expect the outcome happening the way it did.

And yet, I set it down for days at a time. I wasn't compe
❀Fatima❀
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I fraking loved this book. I loved Vic, Mad, Baz, Zuz, and of course Coco.

Vic: I want to hug you and tell you that you are perfect no matter what.
Mad: 😄
Zuz: *snap*
Baz: You are such a kind person and you put others before yourself.
Coco: I fraking love you.
It was kind of slow paced
But......
description
Teddy Yu
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is now my favorite book of all time ever. It's so so so so game changing! You should definetly read it when it comes out in September. I REALLY don't wanna give the arc back to my friens, but I have to
Cesar
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Once in a while, I encounter a book with a unique and quirky plot. With Kids of Appetite, it was the title and premise that drew me in. But before I get to that, I want to say something first.

I'm going to be blunt with you all. This is just my personal opinion: I felt like I was reading a carbon copy of one of John Green's books. Now, that isn't to say that David Arnold is trying to emulate John Green. That isn't the case. It's just I've notice that several books have that whimsical, quir
Zoey River
Good book. Great concept. I loved both Vic and Mad and all the other characters. They were the kind of characters I want as my friends in real life because they're living proof that no matter how hard life gets... you don't give up.

The beginning was just so captivating, interestingly strange and wonderful.
Now you're probably wondering: "ah... did she accidentally rate this book 2 stars? Maybe she meant 4?"
Well, yes and no.
Thing is, I was so sure this was a 4 stars book for me. I loved the beg
Harkeerat of the Apollo Cabin
5 frakking stars!
I just frakking loved the character and story was so lively! I lived and laughed in this book and it was extremely great!
Taryn
These are my thoughts after reading the 48 page sneak peek.

I was immediately reminded of John Green as I began to read. I thought it might be a little too much for me: quirky characters with eccentric interests, quirky random details, and philosophical musings. But once I got past the first two scenes, my interest was piqued!

The book opens with Vic being questioned about a man's murder. He's not willing to divulge much to the detective.

Eight days before the interrogation: Vic Benucci's father di
Misty
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book just didn't do it for me. I liked how Vic was on a mission to scatter his dad's ashes to the places that meant a lot to his father. Vic has help with a few new friends. This plot of the story I enjoyed. Mad's Uncle's death was a little confusing to me because it felt like it was just thrown in the book at the last minute and it was so out there on how he died. I didn't appreciate an 11 year old swearing every other word. There were references of Singapore and racehorses that I didn't u ...more
Alexandra
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Review can be found on *Milky Way of Books*

While I have known about "Mosquitoland" the first book by this author, I actually began with "Kids of Appetite". And I loved it.

I loved the diverse characters and the issues of immigration, war, alchoolism and family abuse which were touched in an indirect way through the characters' back stories. Vic and the gang, each one of them was amazing and funny and so, so scarred. Coco knows how to steal the spotlight with her bad mouth and her innocence in the

• The Alex Crow
  • Saving Montgomery Sole
  • The Emperor of Any Place
  • Stay With Me
  • Under the Dusty Moon
David Arnold lives in Lexington, Kentucky, with his (lovely) wife and (boisterous) son. He is the New York Times bestselling author of Mosquitoland, Kids of Appetite, and The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik; his books have been translated into over a dozen languages. Learn more at davidarnoldbooks.com and follow him on Twitter @roofbeam and Instagram @iamdavidarnold.
“We are all part of the same story, each of us different chapters. We may not have the power to choose setting or plot, but we can choose what kind of character we want to be.” 64 likes
“I think Mad saw in books what I saw in art: the weightless beauty of the universe.” 27 likes