Start by marking “The November Girl” as Want to Read:
The November Girl

The November Girl

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  240 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
**A November Goodreads Best Book of the Month!**

I am Anda, and the lake is my mother. I am the November storms that terrify sailors and sink ships. With their deaths, I keep my little island on Lake Superior alive.

Hector has come here to hide from his family until he turns eighteen. Isle Royale is shut down for the winter, and there's no one here but me. And now him.

Hector
Published November 7th 2017 by Entangled: Teen

To ask other readers questions about The November Girl, please sign up.

Ashley I myself am in middle school and I really enjoyed the book so I think this would be a great book for middle school readers. Also, all the content is…moreI myself am in middle school and I really enjoyed the book so I think this would be a great book for middle school readers. Also, all the content is appropriate for that age group.(less)
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothFlame in the Mist by Renee AhdiehCaraval by Stephanie Garber
YA Novels of 2017
1,070 books — 7,153 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Best Young Adult Fiction
2,776 books — 5,920 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What starts as an unusual romance develops into something wild and untamed in this unique tale of a girl, a boy, and the November storms. Hector is running from his home life, ending up on the deserted Isle Royale, when he meets Anda - born of the lake and the maker of November storms. Known as the November Witch, she's more inhuman than mortal. But Hector's made from violence too, and somehow the two collide - but Anda cannot hide
Lena (The Printed Girl)
*ARC in exchange for an honest review*

This book perfectly sums up everything I love about magical realism. It's a really eery story and sometimes it gets a bit creepy, but it's never horror so don't expect that.

Anda is the daughter of the lake, and she isn't used to being around other people than her dad. The writer makes this clear in very clever ways. The way Anda thinks about the most normal things is both funny and absurd, but I loved everything about her.

Hector is a runaway with a heavy bac
rachel • typed truths
• I honestly adored the premise. The magical elements were so unique. I don't think I have ever read anything remotely similar.
• The romance was... weird. I still don't know how I feel about it exactly.
• Kang has such atmospheric writing. I genuinely felt like I was there on the island with the characters.
• Lots of sensitive topics were handled. Again, I'm not sure how I feel about them. If anyone knows a reviewer that talked about the self-harm or child abuse representation, link me up pls.
Sabrina
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, arc, unique
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

tw: mention of child abuse, self harm (you will see it and hear about it)

"I am made of storms and corpses, of granite and paper-white birch. Trinkets and morsels of food haven't comforted me since I was a child. I'm not the one who needs to be kept safe. It is everyone else."

There are many unique things about this book, the writing, the setting, the characters, this entire book is unique. This book will keep you on
Brenda Drake
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An intense and beautifully written romance that had me bracing myself until the final page. Innocently dangerous Anda and wounded Hector tugged at my heart so hard that their journey left me breathless. Through both Anda's struggle not to give into her nature, Hector's need for love, and the desire they both had to care for one another, I couldn't help but root for this couple. They were just so sweet together. Swoon! With her deep imagination and lovely prose, Kang weaves a touching story with ...more
julianna ➹
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Uhhhhhhhhh this book definitely isn't for everyone. I have many feelings about this book. I'm not sure of where to stand on whether I really liked this book or whether... this book didn't appeal to me as much as I expected.

That doesn't mean that it's bad! I'm sure a lot of people will be in love with the mystical concept and atmospheric writing, but of course this book definitely won't appeal to.. a lot of people. I enjoyed this book, but also I was debating whether to give it three or four sta
Jenea Whittington
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The November Girl is one those books that while your reading it, you’re enthralled. So many things are going on, so many questions about the characters that you want answers for, that you kept reading and before you know it you are at the last page. But after I was done, I wasn’t sure at fist how I felt about it, but the more I thought about and when I sat down to write this review, I realized just how much I really did enjoy it.

Anda is a witch of sorts, she is half human, half witch. And she is
Amy Leigh
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Anda is half human and half witch. Maybe not the type of witch you're thinking of. She is the November storm that shuts down her island Isle Royale every winter. Each and every year the island evacuates in October leaving Anda completely alone on the island. Even her father leaves.

Hector has a very troubled home life. He is so close to turning eighteen that he decides to run away for a few months until he is a legal adult and will never have to return. He decides to takes his refuge on Isle Roy
Ayah
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
CW:
Child abuse: We didn't witness any of it, but we were told about it.
Self Harm: We get to both see it, and hear about it.

The November Girl is a fresh take on Magical Realism. It is a breathtaking story that stars a girl who is half human/half witch, and a boy who running away from his abusive Uncle.

Anda isn't your typical kind of witch; she is the November storm. She is creature who feeds on chaos and drowning souls. The sooner it is till November, the less of a human she becomes. But when A
Diana
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: discarded-shelf
While I loved the premise of the book, and the atmosphere that surrounded the characters, I was quite put off by the fact that I felt lost in the beginning of the book. It was like I had opened a book right by the middle and was thrown in with a couple of characters running from something without entirely knowing why (in her case is made more clear via cryptic lines and hints) and failing to connect with them. And while the casual glimpses between them and the alternate chapters between Anda and ...more
Kate Brauning
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book breaks my heart and puts it back together again. A boy running from violence, a girl who's violence personified, both of them learning to deal with how human they really are. Part survival story, part magic. Take note of this one--you're going to love it and so will everyone else.
Mia Siegert
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read a galley of THE NOVEMBER GIRL and just--mind blown.

I don't even know where to begin with it, and I'm going to have to come back to the review later, but the literary writing with such relatable characters, staggeringly gorgeous prose, and the ability to make the reader feel like they're RIGHT THERE the whole time.. just an immensely pleasant reading experience.

There are some heavy themes in the book so Content-Warning/Trigger Warning for character backstory (view spoiler)
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
Not going to lie - my heart hurts - and I've got so many feels that the chances of a book hangover are pretty high. Still this was an amazing read, and I can't recommend it enough.

Lydia Kang creates a rich, atmospheric world told from two POVs, including Hector and Anda. Hector is a 17-year-old who runs to Isle Royale, a deserted island in the middle of Lake Superior, to hide out until he turns 18 and won't be required to return to his family home. He doesn't expect to see anyone on the island
Tammy
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Kang has made me have feelings for shipwrecks and inanimate objects that include corpses. How did she do that? She wove a lovely tale involving two people that were halves and made them whole as individuals and as one. Anda's nature of violence with reason was terrifying and yet beautiful. Her love of the items destructed washed unto me. Hector's being broken did not stop him from caring for Anda and her oddities. This story was so moving without much dialogue. Typically I am not a fan of bo ...more
Leah
I enjoyed this novel a lot! While it was often slow at times, the writing was neat and easy to read. The pacing was generally smooth, and I liked that it wasn’t a single, first person point of view but showed both of them and clearly indicated when we were switching, without head hopping.

Additionally, both characters were incredibly dynamic. Read the full review on my blog!
Jackie
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
That... was actually so good omg I loved it?????

Here are 4 reasons why I think The November Girl was a brilliant read:

THE DIVERSITY: I think we’re all about that diverse life when it comes to picking out books to read, and that was definitely one of the reasons why I decided to pick up The November Girl. Hector is a 17 year old Korean and African American kid who wanted to escape the claws of his abusive uncle so he travels to an island to hide until his 18th birthday aka until he’s finally free
Vicky
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If any book has a unique premise, this is it. I picked it up completely blind, not having read the blurb beforehand, and the result was a whole lot of confusion that still managed to hook me and keep me wanting to know more until the end: a testament to Lydia Kang’s writing skills.
As far as magical realism goes, The November Girl has it all. Situated on Isle Royale, the story is about Anda, the November Witch who causes the devastating storms that sinks ships and takes lives all through the mont
Lauren
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Surrounding the bones of this PNR of two lonely teens falling in love, is a story that is deep in gorgeous imagery and heavy in themes. Although Hector and Anda seem very different at first, they have both grown up feeling like two halves of different things. He of two heritages ("Too Korean or too American. Too Black, or not Black enough.") and she is split between her human and other nature. They both carry darkness and pain within them. She embracing the death of ships and sailors to live, he ...more
Katherine Paschal
Hector has one plan, and that is to escape his misery and live out on an abandoned island for a few months until he is 18 and free. But the island is not as abandoned as he anticipated. Instead, a strange girl-beast was left behind and he feels compelled to help her. But what he doesn’t know is that Anda is not just a girl, but instead a creature of great power and destruction.

Yes, I was lured in by the pretty cover and the author, and the synopsis was mysterious enough to intrigue me. Once I
Kisses A
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Yeah just your cliche love story with some weird shit thrown in.
Boring. A runaway goes to a deserted island and meets a weird girl and they gather food and try to survive. She speaks to the sea literally. They make out. Classic doomed loved story with happy endings. Hooray!
Dont waste your time guys. Its kinda plotless.
description
Miranda (MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It)
The November Girl was a haunting and mesmerizing novel. This is one of those stories that pulls you in from the beginning and doesn't let go.

This was a story about love, loss, family, acceptance, and forgiveness. There were some gut-wrenching moments that I was not expecting, which I thought were extremely well executed. The plot of this book stayed interesting the entire time. I felt like there were always new questions that needed answering or a new hurdle that the characters had to overcome.
Alexandra
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Lyrical, tragic and beautiful!
Leigh Creech
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Finding a book that takes you into a different world and allows you to experience it "first hand" is rare. I'm so excited about this book because it does all of that and so much more. My favorite part of reading is when I can feel what the character feels even if I've never felt it. This book is a total assault on the senses and will leave you screaming for more when it ends.
Tara (Spinatale Reviews)
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The November Girl is a beautifully written novel that was touching, unexpected, and magical. Lydia Kang's writing is wonderfully atmospheric, painting the world in vivid and stunning detail. This magical realism story is definitely darker and creepier than I was expecting but I loved where the story went. I struggled a bit to connect with Anda and Hector at the beginning, but I was cheering for them by the end.

Every November, Anda is able to unleash her true nature, no longer confined to hiding
Stephanie Ward
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
'The November Girl' is a truly original young adult novel unlike anything I've read before. The description had me eager to read this book and the world that the author wove inside its pages was magical. She brought it to life with detailed descriptions and vivid imagery - I felt like I was right on the island with Anda and Hector. The main characters - Anda and Hector - were fantastic. They were different in so many ways, but they were also the same in a lot of respects. They complemented one a ...more
Amber: Step Into A Book World
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
www.stepintoabookworld.wordpress.com

GIVEWAY FOR NOVEMBER GIRL ON MY BLOG CLICK LINK ABOVE

*I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Entangled Publishers for review for a upcoming blog tour. This review is written based on my own thoughts and opinions on this book*

November Girl by Lydia Kang was a breathtaking novel to read. It was truly a unique, dark, and creepy story for those who are like myself who are always game for a little darkness in their books. Lydia Kang’s writing will draw
Olivia
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it

CW: domestic abuse, self-harm, racism

I really enjoyed this book. It was a unique, magical story, and very intriguing. The characters (one was Korean-American) had a lot of depth, and I loved the slow-burn romance. Some parts of the story were a bit slow and the ending was a bit confusing, but I liked it. Definitely an underrated book, and one I highly recommend!
Shenwei
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
that was very intense 😱😱😱 incredibly haunting but also hopeful

TWs: self harm, CSA, death
LeAnn Aagard
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unlike anything else I've ever read.
Alexa
DNF at 40%. This just reads like a vapid contemporary romance with insta-love and the naive born-sexy-yesterday girl trope. I can't do it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Synopsis in Spanish // Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Jul 22, 2017 08:32PM
  • The Wish Granter (Ravenspire, #2)
  • Dark Breaks the Dawn (Untitled, #1)
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Ice Wolves (Elementals, #1)
  • You and Me and the End of the World
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Memento Mori
  • Defy the Stars (Defy the Stars #1)
  • In Search Of Us
  • Grey
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • Here Lies Daniel Tate
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Untitled (Ivory and Bone, #3)
  • Avenged (Ruined, #2)
I love salt more than chocolate. I'm somewhat small, yet deceptively strong. Sort of like an ant.

I'm a part time doc, full time family member, and if you offer me snacks, I'll be a friend for life.

My adult fiction debut is an historical forensic mystery, entitled A BEAUTIFUL POISON, coming August 2017 from Lake Union Publishing.

I have a nonfiction adult book written with Nate Pederson entitled Q
More about Lydia Kang

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Catalyst (Breakthrough, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Leap (Breakthrough, #2)
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Breakthrough (Breakthrough, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99