Start by marking “Breathe Like a Bear: 30 Mindful Moments for Kids to Feel Calm and Focused Anytime, Anywhere” as Want to Read:

Breathe Like a Bear is a beautifully illustrated collection of mindfulness exercises designed to teach kids techniques for managing their bodies, breath, and emotions. Best of all, these 30 simple, short breathing practices and movements can be performed anytime, anywhere: in the car to the grocery store, during heavy homework nights at home, or even at a child’s desk at schoo ...more
Published December 5th 2017 by Rodale Kids

To ask other readers questions about Breathe Like a Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe Like a Bear

Start your review of Breathe Like a Bear: 30 Mindful Moments for Kids to Feel Calm and Focused Anytime, Anywhere
Ron
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't review kid's lit or books aimed at a young audience, which is weird - because I have a lot of involvement with those books. I had to chime in about this one, though - beautifully illustrated and full of advice and activities that connect immediately with a young audience and provide them with healthy habits that can serve them for a lifetime.
Especially recommended for parents of children prone to anxiety and emotions that get out of their control regularly. I love it.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this. Beautiful illustrations teaching children ( and adults!) simple meditation techniques, such as blowing on hot chocolate (long outgoing breaths). Perfect to pick up during a moment of stress!
Valleri
The illustrations which go alone with each meaningful, mindful suggestion are just as calming as the words themselves. I would highly recommend this book to any child due to its empowering nature and adorable pictures.
Castle Spooktacular
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
I thought this was a really thoughtful presentation of meditation/mindfulness. Even though it is geared towards kids, I think a lot of adults including myself could find these techniques useful. Beautiful illustrations, and overall, good content.
Whitney
This book is amazing. Gorgeous, happy, colorful illustrations accompanying bite-sized mindfulness practices for kids.
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book just pop. The word imagery is beautiful and you feel just so calm after reading each page.
Ann Santori
Really well written to make mindfulness concrete and within the abilities of young children (e.g., imagine you're blowing out a candle) and beautiful illustrations.
Meg
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it
A cute book with exercises and illustrations that are geared toward children, and interludes/text that appeal to their adult caregivers.
I'd strongly suggest not trying more than one of these activities with a kiddo in a day. This would make a fantastic resource book for classrooms or counselors working with children, so that activities could be worked through one at a time. Many are very similar (blowing out a candle and the hot chocolate exercise, as one comparison), but I'm sure one or the ot
Alina Karapandzich
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I love this! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful and text is big and easy to follow along with and all the colors are so calming and fun. Each exercise is short enough to try with even the youngest of kids and all would work if repeated more than once at a time. There are breathing exercises, mindfulness exercises, thought/imagination exercises. Will definitely have to use some of these for story time.
Tina
This book is inspirational in that it takes all emotions any of us may feel and puts mindfulness and breathing at the focus for children. Different techniques are taught through friendly animal images. Our elementary school principal came to the library for a mindfulness storytime recently and used these techniques with pre-schoolers. It was the first time I have seen these children sit in a circle completely engaged for a full 40 minutes! It works!
Teresa
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I teach a couple preschool classes at the Y, and I sought this book out after hearing my niece’s 4K teacher talking about it. I am so looking forward to incorporating these into my classes for a moment to get us breathing and relaxing before calm moments (reading) or warmed up for more moving moments (music time). I also feel like I could take a few of these things with myself as an adult to get through my days.
Ms. B
Mindfulness for all ages. Simple exercises to help anyone be calm, focus, think positively (imagine), wake up or relax.
What makes this great is that most of the exercises can be used for multiple purposes. My favorite one was Snake Breath.
Michelle Hope
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Full of wonderful exercises for breathing, positivity, energy, focus, stretching, and other important skills. The exercises help kids use their imagination, engaging mind and body in various ways. The illustrations and design are beautiful and cute!
Elisabeth
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for kids, grown-ups, storytime and life
Lisa Newman
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this book more stars if I could.
I'd like to add this book to my personal collection.
The illustrations are adorable too.
Autumn Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great resource. Some activities are pretty much repeats of others in the book, but kids respond differently to different ones. I use some of these for groups of adults as well.
Valerie Snyder
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my all time favorite storytime go-tos.
Christine D
Really pretty illustrations and a nice book of meditation and mindfulness for beginners.
Sheryl Wolford
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent way to help young children to develop stress and relax
Rachelle
Would highly recommend to parents to infuse mindfulness in a fun and child centered way. Adorable illustrations!
Mary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are gorgeous! Each exercise is simple and can be used one at a time or in combination. These are the same activities on Kira’s Mindful Moments for Kids CD.
Elizabeth Page
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Use these breathing exercises as transitions in Storytime.
Patsy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has breathing/mindfulness exercises for every occasion.
Alison
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think the exercises in this book would be great to do during storytimes as transitions from activities back to books.
Chelsey
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to buy my own copy of this book and use it at story times for a little calming in rambunctious crowds!
Margot Note
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book is fantastic. I remember doing "Rainstorm" in Brownies as a girl.
Becca
Storytimes can be very active and fun, but that often means that kiddos get a bit rowdy and it can be hard to calm back down for the next story without good transitions. These exercises are perfect for those transitions and at the same time, teach kids ways to manage themselves to calm down, to focus, or to relax and de-stress - important skills to have when starting school.
Jaime
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. This needs to be a website as well because I want access all the time and I want to share with my students.
Meganators
extremely awesome
Briana
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-skills
I appreciated the simple and easy to visualize activities in this book. I think some kids could buy in, and would be useful for counseling kids also.

• Meditate with Me: A Step-By-Step Mindfulness Journey
  • I Am Yoga
  • Archie by Nick Spencer Vol. 2: Archie & Sabrina
  • William Wakes Up
  • Stop. Breathe. Chill.: Meditations for a Less Stressful, More Awesome Life
  • Your Happiest You: The Care & Keeping of Your Mind and Spirit (American Girl)
  • It's Perfectly Normal: A Book about Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health
  • A World of Pausabilities: An Exercise in Mindfulness
  • The Case of the Clown Carnival
  • Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
  • The Little Yellow Leaf