Start by marking “Breathe Like a Bear: 30 Mindful Moments for Kids to Feel Calm and Focused Anytime, Anywhere” as Want to Read:

Breathe Like a Bear is a beautifully illustrated collection of mindfulness exercises designed to teach kids techniques for managing their bodies, breath, and emotions. Best of all, these 30 simple, short breathing practices and movements can be performed anytime, anywhere: in the car to the grocery store, during heavy homework nights at home, or even at a child’s desk at s ...more
Published December 5th 2017 by Rodale Kids

To ask other readers questions about Breathe Like a Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breathe Like a Bear

Start your review of Breathe Like a Bear: 30 Mindful Moments for Kids to Feel Calm and Focused Anytime, Anywhere
▫️Ron S
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't review kid's lit or books aimed at a young audience, which is weird - because I have a lot of involvement with those books. I had to chime in about this one, though - beautifully illustrated and full of advice and activities that connect immediately with a young audience and provide them with healthy habits that can serve them for a lifetime.
Especially recommended for parents of children prone to anxiety and emotions that get out of their control regularly. I love it.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this. Beautiful illustrations teaching children ( and adults!) simple meditation techniques, such as blowing on hot chocolate (long outgoing breaths). Perfect to pick up during a moment of stress!
Valleri
The illustrations which go alone with each meaningful, mindful suggestion are just as calming as the words themselves. I would highly recommend this book to any child due to its empowering nature and adorable pictures.
Effie
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. It teaches a great tool for mindfulness while making it feel like a fun game, encouraging little ones to listen inside their bodies and to move their attention to what they hear all around them. it keeps it light and never becomes heavy handed. I wish I'd had this when my little one was small. Or when I was!
Ann Santori
Really well written to make mindfulness concrete and within the abilities of young children (e.g., imagine you're blowing out a candle) and beautiful illustrations.
Castle Spooktacular
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-books
I thought this was a really thoughtful presentation of meditation/mindfulness. Even though it is geared towards kids, I think a lot of adults including myself could find these techniques useful. Beautiful illustrations, and overall, good content.
Whitney
This book is amazing. Gorgeous, happy, colorful illustrations accompanying bite-sized mindfulness practices for kids.
Jen
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book just pop. The word imagery is beautiful and you feel just so calm after reading each page.
Kimberly
May 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Will definitely be buying if I ever have a child!
Melanie
Jul 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Terrific book. There is good advice for parents/teachers in the beginning of the book (choose a couple favorites and be able to pull them out of your back pocket without the book)--and that technique may be most helpful with the pre-readers in your life. They are carefully written and well-imagined guided breathing with various intents: to focus, to be calm, to imagine, to make some energy, or to relax--which is too abstract a description for younger kids. So, "let's breathe like a bear!" Or "le ...more
Tina
This book is inspirational in that it takes all emotions any of us may feel and puts mindfulness and breathing at the focus for children. Different techniques are taught through friendly animal images. Our elementary school principal came to the library for a mindfulness storytime recently and used these techniques with pre-schoolers. It was the first time I have seen these children sit in a circle completely engaged for a full 40 minutes! It works!
Teresa
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I teach a couple preschool classes at the Y, and I sought this book out after hearing my niece’s 4K teacher talking about it. I am so looking forward to incorporating these into my classes for a moment to get us breathing and relaxing before calm moments (reading) or warmed up for more moving moments (music time). I also feel like I could take a few of these things with myself as an adult to get through my days.
Nivea Torres
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a fun introduction to mindfulness exercises for children. I actually think that many of the exercises can be used as a warm-up activity with teachers so that they can later model with their students. My favorite section was "Imagine". For example, Imagine You're a Tree, Send Good Thoughts, and Kindness. These particular mindfulness exercises help us focus on spreading warmth and empathy towards others.
Sara David
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have utlized this book probably more than any other book on my shelves. We are a homeschooling family of a child with lots of hyperactivity and we use this book to calm down before exciting or nerve-wracking events, before sleep, before classwork and sometimes just for fun on a rainy day. I would recommend it to any family, kids of all ages can use it and I think every classroom should have it.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Kindergarten
Emotions: Mindfulness, frustration

Neon and pastel colors blend in an incredibly appealing way for young listeners and virtual screens. Step by step, the listeners are invited to imitate the bunny as he sniffs in and breaths out while he scampers through the forest looking for carrots. A great technique for calming down from powerful emotions. Kira is a leading musician in yoga and mindfulness and her books are no different. So glad to have these for children!
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Infant-Preschool
Shelves: read-aloud
Neon and pastel colors blend in an incredibly appealing way for young listeners. Step by step, the listeners are invited to imitate the bunny as he sniffs in and breaths out while he scampers through the forest looking for carrots. A great technique for calming down from powerful emotions. Kira is a leading musician in yoga and mindfulness and her books are no different.

So glad to have these for children!

Reviewed by: Miss Kelsey, Youth and School Services, Vernon Area Public Librar
Sarah Colwill
'Breathe Like a Bear' is not a story, it is a series of exercises to help children with emotional regulation. The variety of exercises allows each child to find one that works specifically for them. The illustrations are of animals and nature and add to the peaceful feeling of the book. A good resource to help children relax and focus.
Tompkins County Public Library Youth Services
Holy cats, what a title! And gosh, what a lovely book! The illustrations are SO sweet – somehow clean and calming, while detailed and gorgeous. And the mindfulness moments within are plentiful and priceless. If you have a cruiser at home, you might like to look into this one. I think I'm going to get a copy for our office and start using it at every storytime!
Michelle Hope
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Full of wonderful exercises for breathing, positivity, energy, focus, stretching, and other important skills. The exercises help kids use their imagination, engaging mind and body in various ways. The illustrations and design are beautiful and cute!
Ms. B
Mindfulness for all ages. Simple exercises to help anyone be calm, focus, think positively (imagine), wake up or relax.
What makes this great is that most of the exercises can be used for multiple purposes. My favorite one was Snake Breath.
Elisabeth
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great for kids, grown-ups, storytime and life
Patsy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has breathing/mindfulness exercises for every occasion.
Chelsey
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I want to buy my own copy of this book and use it at story times for a little calming in rambunctious crowds!
Lisa Newman
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'd give this book more stars if I could.
I'd like to add this book to my personal collection.
The illustrations are adorable too.
Mary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are gorgeous! Each exercise is simple and can be used one at a time or in combination. These are the same activities on Kira’s Mindful Moments for Kids CD.
Christine D
Really pretty illustrations and a nice book of meditation and mindfulness for beginners.
Rachelle
Would highly recommend to parents to infuse mindfulness in a fun and child centered way. Adorable illustrations!
Margot Note
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG, this book is fantastic. I remember doing "Rainstorm" in Brownies as a girl.
Sheryl Wolford
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent way to help young children to develop stress and relax
Autumn Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great resource. Some activities are pretty much repeats of others in the book, but kids respond differently to different ones. I use some of these for groups of adults as well.

• Hand in Hand
  • The World Needs More Purple People
  • You Are New
  • Over and Under the Pond
  • Yoga Baby
  • Love Makes a Family
  • One of These Is Not Like the Others
  • Breathe with Me: Using Breath to Feel Strong, Calm, and Happy
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Magical Yet
  • Friday Night Wrestlefest
  • The Feelings Book
  • Library Babies
  • How Big Is Zagnodd?
  • Salsa Lullaby
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • Hey, Baby!: A Baby's Day in Doodles
  • Unicorns Are the Worst!

News & Interviews