Start by marking “I Bid One American (Archer Family #2)” as Want to Read:
I Bid One American (Archer Family #2)

I Bid One American (Archer Family #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,054 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Shes an American heiress nobody wants; hes a Duke every woman is after. When Nathaniel, Duke of Peckham, meets Charlotte, hes suspicious of her indifference. Too many women have soughtand failedto catch him. However, Charlotte is more interested in dead pharaohs than English dukes. Her pretended immunity vanishes, however, when a debutante seeking to entrap Nathaniel gets ...more
Published May 9th 2008 by The Wild Rose Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about I Bid One American, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Bid One American

Georgie
1.5 stars - just
Has anyone ever picked up a pre-schooler from a party? "Tired but happy", they're on a massive sugar-high, and they tell you breathlessly about the afternoon: "So we had the hunt, but Harvey was eating a sandwich when...and then Julie, Julie, Julie, she had a balloon, and it did, and I was scared but I wasn't really, and the pink dinosaur. And I goed bang and then [these stories always end like this] and then I was SICK!!!" That's what The Unwanted Heiress reminded me of - a part
Tracy Rife
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible, terrible, terrible

At the beginning you can almost believe this might be a good read, but unfortunately, you can't continue with that thought. The actions of the characters are completely absurd the entire story. I kept reading hoping that somehow it would come together and not be a total waste of time. I was terribly disappointed. I will not seek this author out. The editing was as awful as the actions and reactions of the characters themselves. Terrible.
Barbara
Warning, this is not typical romance. Good writing but there were things I didn't like about the book. I don't like when writers use big words when a simpler one will do. Words like "perspicacious" --- in dialog no less-- when was the last time you heard someone use that word in conversation? Or "insouciance"? Mercy, she could have used Word's thesaurus to use something easier for her audience. I always feel writers who do this are trying to impress, but they are supposed to write for their audi ...more
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, regency
I was happily surprised by this story. Neither of the lead characters had a happy upbringing--nor anything the ton would desire--but they somehow were able to help each other.
The heiress was-gasp-American. Who could overlook such a huge character flaw. Plus, she had red hair & was entirely too much of a bluestocking for anyone to really want to make her acquaintance.
Her new guardians are very likable characters. Their nephew was raised in the cheap side of London and but society is willing
Deb Diem
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Unwanted Heiress is my first book by Amy Corwin, what a nice surprise. Ms Corwin has given us a well-written book. I totally love the characters. Charlotte and Nathaniel's story is loaded with action, drama, humor and spice. I enjoyed this book from cover to cover and look forward to reading more from Amy Corwin in the future. The Unwanted Heiress is book 1 of the Archer Family Series but can be read as a standalone. This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.
Kat Wong
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, 2015-read
What a silly story. I got the impression the author did not really know what tone she wanted for this story. Maybe she was trying for too much and things got lost in translation. There were so many fruitless and goofy situations in it I couldn't gauge whether or not this was meant to be a comedy or not. There were also a number of sub-plots mentioned that never came to fruition (view spoiler) ...more
Tonileg
Historical English romance with a murderer running amok killing young rich debutantes who happen to be trying to marry eligible powerful Lord Nathaniel, Duke of Peckham.
We also have the story over the lovely lonely very rich American orphan, Miss Charlotte. Miss Charlotte is trying to make her way through life until she can inherit and become an independent rich lady of means, which sounds great and does explain her reluctance to be courted by the Duke Nathaniel.
The murders are gruesome, but qu
Jennifer Snyder
Fair to Middling

Great grammar and dialogue. Unfortunately, overused plot devices and too many attempts on our Heroine's life to be enjoyably and thoroughly plausible.
Charlie
The Skinny

Charlotte Haywood is an unfortunate American in England. She has bounced from relative to relative who have cast her off, waiting until she is of age to take control of her inheritance and properties. She is extremely intelligent, a bluestocking, and she is outlandishly out of place in England as a tall, red-headed woman who stands out and above the crowd. She is passed over time and time again. It is a lonely, dejected life of misery for Charlotte, knowing her relatives don't want her
Hail
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well that was an odd mash of ideas. You had murder, romance, kidnapping and random women hiding in wardrobes and other such places in order to force marriage - I can't believe women really did that!
The romance was cute at first but then soon became annoying with the "I love her but does she love me?" - "I love him but does he love me?" It drove me to wonder why I've started reading these types of books.
I also wondered if the title should not have been something else? As Charlotte wasn't really
Stephanie Bolen
I liked it

There wasn't enough detail. Yes she was into equality for women but other than one conversation she never says anything about it again. There were three conversations displaying her being a bluestocking. The plot just got in the way of telling a good story. The obstacles could have been her outrageous behavior and ideas versus his aversion to being married. He could have been at war with himself over his growing attraction and what expectations his behavior would raise in the mind of a
OK

I have mixed feeling. Maybe 2.5.
While it was cute, a little funny, and had some mystery it didn't follow your typical historical book. Women chasing after the duke hiding in his room, carriage. Maybe that is historically accurate but I had never read that much boldness before.
Diane Horne
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wanted Heiress By Amy Corwin Book One

Four stars, this was interesting although there were parts that lag... Good mystery with two plots to unravel..No sensually...But cute story, even though the duke was a little dense..May read book two
Rachel
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
This was a fun, light read. The mystery was a bit too easily solved for my taste, but the characters are fairly well drawn and interesting, and the love story is well done--hitting all the crucial notes I want to hear, but still managing to be a bit different from other love stories I've read.
Patricia Ambers
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good clean read

Very entertaining, no sex, keeps your attention. More on Cheery Gaunt would have gave the read more depth, too little info on supporting characters.
Kate
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always enjoy seeing a smart heroine, even if she is still thwarted a bit my the times she lives in.
Theresa M Collins
Well written keeping me interested till the end. Reader also was good. I have ordered others by Amy Corwin
Sue
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Read

The Unwanted Heiress was a most enjoyable read. The heroine was a delightful mix of sugar and spice. The put upon hero was everything a girl could hope for.
Angela Whitmore
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unwanted Heiress

This is a historical romance with kidnap, murder mystery and comedy all thrown in. I would look for this writer again.
Pat
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read with quite a bit of madcap happenings but ultimately the mysteries are solved, the murderer gets justice and the H/h get their HEA.

*A Clean Read
Connie S. Koog
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heiress!

This was a exciting book to read. I truly enjoyed reading it and I look forward to reading more of this author's work.
Mary Stockwell
Average

This book was just average to me. It has a lot of intrigue but it did drag on in places. Overall it's entertaining.
margie jedrzejas
Again,and again

Read this story numerous times and still enjoy it....love conquer s all! Stubborn American woman and Duke find love! Enjoy
Lynn
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine, easy romance.
Norma
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding standalone book...Kudos to Amy Corwin!!!

What an exceptional book! Intrigue, action, mystery, suspense and romance abound in these pages. A well written plot with interesting characters. Loved everything about this first book in the series and I'm looking forward to reading more by this creative author. KUDOS to Amy Corwin on an excellent beginning.
Samantha
I think I need to lay off the historical romance for a while. They all seem to be the same story with different names. Girl with money doesn't want to marry wealthy duke doesn't either they fall hopelessly in love blah blah blah.
penelopewanders
This is the first book I've read on the kindle my son gave me for Christmas, so that already lifts this up in my esteem. I see someone objected to the complicated vocabulary - no, sorry, I can't say that's the sort of thing which would disturb me, quite the contrary. I did not notice it anyway, although I did notice a number of typos and spelling mistakes.
One thing about reading on a kindle (and it's also partly that I don't know how to manoeuvre it very well), when books are suspenseful, I som
Candy Briggs
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story, loved it

The twists and turns to finding love. As usual Amy Corwin's writing is as mysterious and exciting as all her stories are. They keep you on the edge of your seat. I really enjoy her work.
Patricia Kohler
This book was very hard to finish. The plot was intriguing at first but it really went downhill into ridiculous quite fast. It is full of grammar and spelling errors which might be due to translation from a hardcopy or it might have been written that way. If you are not picky about your stories it can be slightly diverting.
Amber
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it but it was a mess
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 25, 2015 04:51PM
  • Aunt Sophie's Diamonds
  • The Deathly Portent (A Lady Fan Mystery, #2)
  • An Improper Situation
  • The Phantom Lover
  • The Day the Flowers Died
  • Susanna and the Spy (Susanna and the Spy, #1)
  • Blood For Ink (Scarlet Plumiere, #1)
  • The Unflappable Miss Fairchild (Rogues and Rakes, #1)
  • My Lady Coward: An Episodic Regency Romance
  • Cut from the Same Cloth (My Notorious Aunt, #3)
  • The Wicked Wager
  • Indiscretion (Andalucian Nights, #1)
  • Face of the Maiden
  • If Love Were Enough
  • The Soldier's Dark Secret (Comrades in Arms, #1)
  • Gabriella (Hiatt Regency Classics, #1)
  • An Unexpected Affair (Scottish Werebear, #1)
  • Romancing Lady Stone (School of Gallantry, # 6)
1206111
Amy Corwin is a charter member of the Romance Writers of America and recently joined Mystery Writers of America. She has been writing for the last ten years and managing a career as an enterprise systems administrator in the computer industry. She writes Regencies/historicals, mysteries, and contemporary paranormals. To be truthful, most of her books include a bit of murder and mayhem since she di ...more
More about Amy Corwin...

Archer Family (7 books)
  • The Necklace (Archer Family, 0.5)
  • The Bricklayer's Helper (Archer Family, #2)
  • The Earl's Masquerade (Archer Family, #3)
  • A Stolen Rose (Archer Family, #4)
  • Fencing For Ladies (Archer Family, #5)
  • Love Across The Pond (Archer Family, #6)

“recommended against any plans to spend large amounts” 0 likes