Start by marking “Come with Me” as Want to Read:
Come with Me

Come with Me

When the news reports are flooded with tales of hatred and fear, a girl asks her papa what she can do to make the world a better place. "Come with me," he says. Hand-in-hand, they walk to the subway, tipping their hats to those they meet. The next day, the girl asks her mama what she can do--her mama says, "Come with me," and together they set out for the grocery, because ...more
Published September 5th 2017 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Come with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Come with Me

Start your review of Come with Me
Margaret Boling
1/1/2018 ~~ Hmmm. This review is difficult. I've read the reviews of peers whose opinion I respect: "An important message." "Don't be afraid - take small steps." "Be kind."

The book is touted as a "powerful and timely story of kindness, bravery, and friendship in the face of intolerance and uncertainty" (flyleaf). However, when I read the book and examined the illustrations, I saw less. I got hints of the white savior and a lack of true diversity. At the end, when the little girl was (ostensibly)
Jasmine
May 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Now, I like the general premise of this book, which is that small things can and will make a difference in the face of bad news. But I do rather think that “being polite to neighbours” and “continuing to shop at the stores of people who are immigrants/not the same race as you” is more of your baseline for behaviour than any THING you do to take down the evil in the world. There are donations to give and protests to go to and volunteering and charity work and randomly giving food to neighbours to ...more
Stephanie
Disappointing. I agree with the Kirkus review (which I did not write): "A look at fear from a privileged perspective." If you're going to read this to kids, at least pair it with LAST STOP ON MARKET STREET by Matt de la Pena, to show that you can actually do concrete, tangible, active, and intentional things to help the world, in addition to treating everyone and everything with kindness.
Juliana Lee
A young girl is frightened by what she see on TV of people hurting other people. She asks her parents (on separate occasions) what she can do to make the world a better place. Her father takes her on a subway ride and her mother takes her grocery shopping. Although the message to adults it to keep doing normal things, this might be confusing to young readers. Being kind to others (tipping your hat to strangers and buying groceries in a 'world market') are such everyday occurrences, that I wish ...more
Rebecca
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has been getting a ton of buzz this fall due to speaking in a kid-friendly way to the helplessness and insignificance many of us have been feeling in reaction to the news. Adults will likely find a lot of comfort in the idea that carrying on is an act of bravery in itself; kids may need some additional explanation, but this is an excellent starting point. The main character appears to be biracial (everyday diversity).
Julie Kirchner
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow...a powerful testament to being brave and helping each other. The world has been a topsy turvy place lately. I don't recognize my country at times. I feel I have traveled back in time and I don't like what I see. But then I read a book like this, and I know there is goodness in the world. There are people just like me, who refuse to live afraid or to allow hate to win. Come with me...we can make this world better together. Beautiful message, lovely book.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This needs to be shared with children - planning on using it as a read aloud when school comes back.
Engel Dreizehn
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes the best to in the face of fear is just live with joy in one's community. I did like that the "frightful" news being portrayed does not contain any current events but rather...its timeless + can happen in any era.
Margie
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Children are extremely intuitive. They can read facial expressions, body postures and the inflection in the words we speak. They can detect sincerity and truth in a heartbeat.

They have undoubtedly noticed adults following the news and current events with increased interest and their active participation in government and politics. They understand there is social unrest throughout the globe and even in their own neighborhoods. Come with me (G. P. Putnam's Sons, an imprint of Penguin Random House
Colona Public Library
"Come with Me" is a great book to read to kids when something bad happens and a person or parent does not know what to tell their children. It shows kids that they are not powerless and can make a difference no matter how small. It was written simply, but had such a strong message. Do not let fear change you. Be a good person and treat others around you with kindness. I recommend this book for anyone who doesn't know how to bring up the subject, let this book be your words.

~April
Oona
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful book that underscores how deeply children feel and experience the world around them.
Lynn
A girl tries to figure out what to do to make the world better when there is so much anger and hatred in the world. The answer is: Come With Me.
PEI Public Library Service
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Come with Me" by Holly M. McGhee is a timely and wonderful book the share with families, especially in light of the many difficult situations being portrayed in the news lately. Come with Me addresses, in a child appropriate way, the importance of kindness, bravery, and friendship in response to images and stories of hate and injustice viewed in the media.

In the story, the young girl looks to her parents how to make the world a better place. Each responds “Come with me” and off they go doing
Good concept and a much needed one in this day and age. The little girl is scared about everything going on around her and asks her parents what she can do to make the world a better place. They reply with simple things--going to local grocers, saying nice things to diverse people, riding they subway.

But it really seemed like pages were missing. The "They rode the train through the tunnels underground" was odd--no followup? I'm sure it was meant to reference something about a previous subway
Shelley
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I like how this one showed that taking action is helpful when we feel overwhelmed by thinking about big problems in the world. I like how this one showed the caregivers staying connected to the child to demonstrate small steps they could take together and not be afraid.

My only quibble is a sentence that didn't make sense: "They went to their grocery to buy some things for dinner because one person doesn't represent a family or a race or the people of a land." What does buying groceries have to
Mrs. Fornero
I absolutely love this book. Best said through the words of the author and illustrator: "Come With Me is written in honor of friendship, bravery, and the fact that we aren't powerless, no matter how small and insignificant we may feel." A very timely message that goes right to the heart of readers in today's world where it is sometimes hard to hold on to hope!
Alison McGhee
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This lovely, gentle picture book subtly addresses a child's fears and worries in a troubled world (9/11). A walk first with her father, then her mother, then on her own with her across the hall friend soothe the child by helping her understand that even small acts of kindness --a smile, a wave, a greeting-- can make life better for everyone. Beautiful.
Cat
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sweet little story about making the world a better place one person at a time! Little girl and her dad, then her mom, explore their neighborhood. Illustrations were nice. Book would make a nice starting point for a difficult discussion on all the hatred and violence in the world today.
Jesse
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book struck a chord in me. It emphasizes the point that what we do individually matters even if it seems like the rest of the world is drowning in negativity. Each person can make the world a better place one act of bravery and kindness at a time.
Emma
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
A little on the nose and message-y. The text is almost too simple and it feels very of the moment. Not necessarily a bad thing but I feel like Because Amelia Smiled and A Walk on Market Street do the same thing but with more subtlety.
Serina
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
100 times yes. There's always one book in selection with "message", this one should be it. Especially in today's world. Kids don't understand the politics at play but they can learn to be confident or fearful. Love the positive idea that they could impact the world.
Lorie Barber
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Needed this one today. Underscores the saying, "An act of kindness, no matter how small, is never wasted."
Angie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is so beautiful. A simple book about peace and people doing their part just touching.
Kelly
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2017
We read this to a class of little ones and then we discussed what ways the kids helped make things better. a huge hit! The book was recommended by our program co-ordinator.
Marianne
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I can't explain what bothers me about this book but something does. I think maybe the illustrator was telling one story and the author was telling a less specific story? Something like that....
Julie Seifert
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good book about forming community, being kind to others, not being afraid of the world.
Steph
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Major chills because of the hope this story gives me... because of how much I want EVERY KID and EVERY ADULT to read this and get their very own goosebumps of hope.
Ryan M. Hanna
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A book we need today.
Mrs. Krajewski
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Had a great talk with my kids about this one. An important read.
Denise Lauron
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book about dealing with fear is well written for children. The illustrations were great. I only wish that part of the book included turning the TV off and having the child do something else.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »