Start by marking “DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 4: Queens” as Want to Read:
DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 4: Queens

DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 4: Queens

(DC Comics: Bombshells #4)

The explosive creative team of writer Marguerite Bennett (BATWOMAN) and artists including Laura Braga (Witchblade), Mirka Andolfo (Ms. Marvel) and Marguerite Sauvage (Faith) bring an all-new chapter in the acclaimed alternate-history saga inspired by the hit DC Collectibles in DC COMICS: BOMBSHELLS VOL. 4: QUEENS.

Technology and terror form an unholy alliance in a world at
Published June 27th 2017 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about DC Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC Comics

Sesana
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
My least favorite in the series so far. I just never really got into the main story. The Batgirls story was great, and the scene where Diana attempts to console Supergirl is really well done, though.
L. McCoy
Holy fuck, this series went downhill.

What’s it about?
Some bombshells are in Africa fighting animal-power Nazis... yeah, it’s weird.

Pros:
The artists all do a great job. There’s a mix of art styles and it works in this volume.
There is a lot of great action throughout. There’s at least one action scene in each issue, usually involving villains, robots and the stunning, powerful ladies of DC. What’s not to love about that?
The comic relief is very well done in this volume. More than the previous volu
Megan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything is so beautiful queer. I'm in love.
Devann
This probably could have easily been a 4 star read, but unfortunately due to some incorrect GoodReads descriptions, I actually ended up reading half of this volume's issues with the previous volume so I can't actually remember what happened all that well, and the second 3 issues here were just kind of okay. Still a fun series though, although I'm thinking that they're going to have to all meet up fairly soon because this jumping back and forth is getting a bit tiring and it makes it difficult to ...more
Hannah
In this disappointing volume, the story moves away from the WWII battlefront to focus on a fight to control and defeat supernatural mechanical animals. I didn't find this plot or the new characters very compelling. I also struggled with deciphering who was who in the scenes where the superheroines were out of their costume, since most of the female characters have the same body type and face shape.
Brandt
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
In my review for DC Comics: Bombshells Vol. 3: Uprising and I lauded Marguerite Bennett and company for taking Ant Lucia's DC heroines as 40s and 50s cheesecake pin-ups and co-opting whatever Lucia's original motivations were for these designs (I think it was probably something sexual given the obvious cosplay opportunities these nostalgic designs) and turning it into something that is a feminist statement from Bennett, et al. However, in the interim of me reading Bombshells, vol. 3 and Bombshel ...more
ElphaReads
Chris Lemmerman
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
More of a 3.5 rounded up. This volume takes place away from the rest of the main conflict, instead centering on Zambesi and new characters Vixen and Hawkgirl as Paula Von Gunther and the Cheetah also make their appearances.

This feels like a calm-before-the-storm kind of story, as the threat of the mechanical gods never really feels that big compared to what the Bombshells have faced already. It's still good fun, but after the giant battles in the previous volume, it's all a bit muted. The chara
Joana Veríssimo
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far, this was probably my least favorite of this collection, so 5*- or 4*+, because it's farther away from the center of the war, and I really like the historical fiction aspect of this series, but this one is more magical and supernatural
I really LOVE the Batgirls scenario, and I really like seeing Dent!! But I also missed Harley and Pamela so much in this one
But I would still definitely recommend the series :)

(Read for the 2017 BookTube-A-Thon, and this doesn't fill any new challenges)
Crystal
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Overall I really like this but the second or third to the last issue was a little bit over the top. If you've ever watched a Transformers movie then you know how Optimus Prime usually makes a speech about life and fate and humanity and what not at the beginning and/or end of the film. The issue I'm talking about was basically just 10-15 pages of Wonder Woman making that speech which was a little much.
Jasmine
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
That one was a trifle confusing. i think if I had known ANYTHING about DC mythos, it would have been better, but I was doing a lot of ?????? at the page.

Hawkgirl! Awesome!
Diana continues to be my fave!
Sad about Cheetah's past. :(
Sad about Maggie deciding to cheat on her partner with her old partner. :(
Hadas Sloin
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Story-wise, I think Volume 4 is the weakest one of the Bombshells series so far. However, there were still a few points in this volume that I loved. Most of all, the chapter of Diana comforting Kara was a beautiful piece of art. I also loved Hawkgirl's speech regarding forgetting old technologies and enjoyed every second of catwoman.
Jess
I like Hawkgirl so much. She's fun!

Still don't know enough about some of the characters to be fully invested in this particular arc, but as ever, I really like this comic.
Kristin
More exciting than the last one, but I have no idea what's going on. Way too much emphasis on fantasy stuff. Can't they just fight regular nazis and be done with it?
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
This one threatened to lose me with the additions of superheroes with whom I was unfamiliar (ahem Vixen, Cheetah), but I caught up and held on tight and the story was again fantastic.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, lgbtq
This series is so wonderful, so much woman-power and gay relationships. It has also renewed my childhood love of Hawk Girl; she is even more badass now than ever!
Shelley
North African adventure with Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Renee Montoya, Catwoman, Cheetah and Hawkgirl. The art was wonderful, and I love the characters and their relationships, but I found the plot scrambled and hard to follow. The last volume was so much better at a clear plot, so this was disappointing. It took me weeks to read this, when normally it'd be a few hours. Also, Kate seeming to forget entirely about Maggie really bothers me. I loved them first, and to see her with an old flame and oth ...more
Kendra
Dec 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Well this was the most CONFUSING one so far. I had a really hard time following what the heck was going on for most of the book. However, pretty much in love with Hawkgirl, and Vixen is cool. And Wonder Woman helping Super Girl with grief 3

It's getting pretty hard to tell these redheads apart, you guys...
Jessi
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
I've had this book for WEEKS and I only just picked it up a few days ago. I don't know WHY!

I think sometimes it's hard to keep track of all the characters especially during the chapters with the bat family. I think I gave up on that. I really enjoyed the story that unfolded in Zambessi though almost wish it had been Amaya instead of Mari but that's because that's the Vixen I know best.
Emma
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-dc
The volume we finally got the amazing Hawkgirl and Vixen.
The Library Ladies
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

As you all know, I really really REALLY love the “DC Bombshells” series because damn does it give my favorite superheroines something to do. There is something so organically feminist about this series, and it keeps the thrills, action, humor, and pathos balanced out expertly. Seeing some of the best and brightest DC ladies at the forefront is a delight, and whenever a new one comes out I can’t wait to read it. We are now on Volume 4, and after an a
Jacqueline O.
Kacey
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have more or less covered all my thoughts on this series so far in my other reviews. There are a few observations and thoughts I'd like to add this time around, though.

One is that none of the classic villains-- like Killer Frost, the Penguin, Lex Luthor, Two-Face, etc.-- seem to be particularly villainous. They still do bad things, but they're either under the control of something or they end up just being more morally grey and are quick to ally with the good guys. On the one hand, I do kind o
Nicole Westen
2.5 The biggest thing that bothered me was the pacing of the panels, especially during the mechanical gods arc. It felt like there wasn't any good transition between the panels to imply the action that was taking place. Instead you had the good guys losing one panel, and then a come from behind victory in the next panel, with no transition to depict exactly how that happened. It just happened and now we're moving on. That is really my biggest complaint in this issue.
The one thing I really loved
Samuelle
"One more thing you should not have forgotten... machines speak to me. And right now, they're saying @#$% you."

I can't describe this specific volume without spoiling some stuff, so I'll just summarize the series: basically, Bombshells is about a group of female heroes and anti-heroes who team up together to fight nazis and other monsters during World War II. It's a series that's completely separate from other DC comics, which means that you don't need to read anything else before you can give th
Robert
Aug 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lousy proofreading - both spelling and grammar errors.
Lousy fact checking - unless this is a wondrous alternate reality where the Pacific Ocean borders Africa.
Lousy fake history - having a superhero compete in the Olympics isn't exactly sportsmanlike, and having your fake Olympian co-opt the courage of Jesse Owens is just low.
Lousy real history - when the authors crow about, preen over, and highlight every single gender swap they pull, casually tossing out a reference to a female west pointer
Gina
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am sometimes aware that there are parts of this that would mean more to me if I were more familiar with the DC Universe. For example, this is my first real experience with Hawkgirl. Perhaps a better way of looking at it is that canonical DC stuff will mean more to me when I get to it.

For now it is just fun to get to know the characters better, often under better circumstances, and enjoy the gorgeous art and the optimism. I liked Harvey Dent's arc here. I love Blondie.

I also appreciate the th
Brandon
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume was the most confusing one of all. The narrative is scrambled and disjointed to the point where I thought some pages were missing. There is plenty of action but it happens in many different places and all at the same time. The twists all are overwhelming and all the interactions between the characters seem labored. The story is also not strong involving Mechs and far fetched Ancient Alien theories, I thought this series was set in WWII and not some future world. There are still some ...more
Mel
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This wasn't quite as interesting to me as previous volumes as I didn't know who as many of the characters were. I did remember Karla from the early Wonder Woman I'd been reading, though she was much less sympathetic in this. I was also a little disappointed that the woman from the colonised jungle had awfully light skin and European hair. It seemed like rather an oversight for a comic that is usually much better for diversity. But it did have some truly lovely moments looking at loss and how the ...more
Eleni
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 next »

• Batgirl and the Birds of Prey, Volume 1: Who Is Oracle?
  • Delilah Dirk and the Pillars of Hercules (Delilah Dirk, #3)
  • Princeless: Raven the Pirate Princess Book 1: Captain Raven and the All-Girl Pirate Crew
  • Batgirl, Volume 2: Son of Penguin
  • Lantern City Vol. 1
  • Concrete Park Volume 1
  • Gotham Academy, Vol. 3: Yearbook
  • Power Girl: Power Trip
  • Five Ghosts, Volume Two: Lost Coastlines (Five Ghosts, #2)
  • The Spirit, Vol. 2
  • Ghosted, Vol. 4: Ghost Town (Ghosted, #4)
  • Locke & Key: Small World

DC Comics: Bombshells (6 books)
  • DC Comics: Bombshells, Vol. 1: Enlisted