Start by marking “Imagine” as Want to Read:
Imagine

Imagine

Imagine all the people living life in peace.
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will be as one.

Join one little pigeon as she sets out on a journey to spread a message of tolerance around the world. Featuring the lyrics of John Lennon’s iconic song and illustrations by the award-winning artist Jean Jullien, th
Published September 21st 2017 by Clarion Books (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Imagine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imagine

Manybooks
Ever since I first listened to John Lennon's Imagine, it has been one of my absolutely all-time favourite songs, not only for the sweet rebellion of totally freaking out my parents and grandparents as a teenager and having them think I was a raging and dangerous Communist just because I happened to enjoy and love the song (and then seeing them dumbfounded and even more angry that when instead of feeling insulted by this appellation, I said to them simply and smilingly "thank you for the complime ...more
David Schaafsma
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: peace, picturebooks, music
How quaint that I should pick up this dream of peace on a day when Puerto Rico and other islands off the mainland are in devastation, and when a guy with 17 legally purchased automatic rifles has killed (as of this writing) 59 people, with more than 500 injured. Naive? But some of us old hippies and young dreamers are still around, trying to give peace a chance. There are perhaps dozens of books and hundreds of projects based on this one song, which would seem to have plenty to offend religious ...more
Calista
This book is the lyrics to the song Imagine which is one of my favorite songs ever. I love thinking about all the things that separate us not being there. We can see each other as simply people worthy of love. It's wonderful. I love the words to this book.

I didn't think the illustrations and the birds lived up to the song. The little story of the pigeon was a little weak to me. It was fine, but nothing earth shattering.

The kids thought it was good. They have heard the song so the lyrics sparked
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Beautiful - just what I needed with everything going on in the world today.
Ale Rivero
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine es de las pocas canciones de Lennon, y The Beatles en general, que me gusta especialmente.
Creo que es una letra interesante para reconocer la importancia que tiene el vivir en paz, especialmente la que viene de aceptar las diferencias y trabajar en conjunto.
Me gusta el mensaje que la pequeña palomita de esta historia da a la humanidad, y lo que se puede resaltar también es que las regalías de este libro van a Amnistía Internacional.
Es un álbum ilustrado que merece bastante la pena, así q
Maggie
I hate being the naysayer, but I think I liked the idea of this book more than I actually liked the book. I love the song and I love the message behind it, and I appreciate what they were trying to achieve with this book, but I think it just fell short. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with this book, but I felt like the lyrics to Imagine work much better in song format than they do in a picture book. I actually think the forward by Yoko Ono Lennon was the best part of the book.

The bold,
Edward Sullivan
If you want to introduce young people to "Imagine," play them the song.
Carrie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe the teachers enjoyed this beautifully written book more than the students, but that's okay! The message is one of peace and perfect for our Peace Day Assembly in the elementary. We played the song along with the book and then broke off to have discussions about peace in our classrooms. I highly recommend this book to ANYONE!
Annie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
:Imagine all the people.. living life in peace" a beautiful picture book that illustrates the classic by John Lennon "Imagine" as the lyrics take the page through art, it follows a piegon to demonstrate peace to help us enjoy our life, for peace to flourish and for everyone to treat all kindly, equally and fairly. It was really nice to read this - very refreshing, it also brought back wonderful memories of my late uncle who loved John Lennon and the Beatles. Special thanks to Allen and Unwin Pub ...more
Dimity Powell
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-lit
Pigeons - my tween immediately linked this to the peace dove. I had to make the other links for her; who John Lennon was, the origins of the song, its relevance to our world and those who people it today. Can those who aspire for rainbows and dreamers change the world? Can picture books save us all? I believe they can. Ones like these unquestionably. Jean Jullien's chunky colour-filled illustrations are the perfect balance to Lennon's masterful lyrics. Imagine sharing this kind of hope with your ...more
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Beautiful images that complement the thoughtful prose by John Lennon

My View:
5 big stars for this beautifully imagined and illustrated book – this really is art with heart! Call me sentimental, I will agree with you that I am, this book just strikes so many chords with me. A book for those who can remember John Lennon’s important song of love and peace (and for those who still sing his inspiring relevant message even if just in their own heads) and for the next generation – who will love the pros
Angie
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't describe my emotions atm. This book is so beautiful a children's book centered around a song of peace and hope. So my friends who loved Skam remember when a whole bar full of people joined in on Imagine with Even and Isak.
René
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Pretty and simple illustrations that amplify the powerful words of the song.
Gail
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to sing along instead of read along.
Milly Cohen
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lovely
Abigail
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: John Lennon Fans / Readers Looking for Picture-Book About World Peace
A picture-book presentation of John Lennon's famous song, with the artwork of expatriate French illustrator Jean Jullien, Imagine depicts a pigeon flying the world, proverbial olive branch in beak, seeking to unite the birds of the world into one peaceful community...

A project done in partnership with Amnesty International, this picture-book contains a forward by Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, and is meant to highlight the importance of peaceful coexistence and human rights. I'm not really a great fa
Becky
First sentence: Imagine there's no heaven. It's easy if you try. No hell below us. Above us, only sky. Imagine all the people living for today.

Premise/plot: This picture book shares the lyrics of John Lennon's song, "Imagine" with a new generation. The illustrations are by Jean Jullien. His illustrations feature birds flocking together in search of peace.

My thoughts: I'll be completely honest. I hate the song Imagine. I loathe it. If hell has an anthem, I bet it would be Imagine. (You might thi
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Like John's message in his song IMAGINE, this picture book is simple in it's words and illustrations, but powerful in it's message of peace, and unity. Written for young readers in mind, all who read this book will feel empowered to make a difference in making our world a better place. Even the youngest of readers will understand the kind gestures the pigeon in this story is doing, and how it makes the other birds in this book feel.

Quoting Yoko Ono Lennon from the forward in this book,

"Everyone
Sam
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Huge thank you to Raincoast for this ARC!

I don't normally review picture books on my blog, despite reading a lot of them as part of my job at the library. That being said, I couldn't resist checking out this beautiful picture book put to the lyrics of John Lennon's Imagine.

There is a wonderful simplicity to the artwork, as you're watching this pigeon explore the world around him, trying to unify people. Ultimately that was Lennon's message on a whole, finding peace, loving others regardless of r
Linda
Yoko Ono offers a lovely intro, Jean Jullien brings gorgeous illustrations with black outlining, and then, these beautiful words by John Lennon bring again his wish for peace. A pigeon works hard bringing branches of peace to everyone, gathering with other kinds of birds, who also begin to share the branches. The page that illustrates “You may say I’m a dreamer” showed the pigeon leaning back, “not the only one”. We need these words today! The proceeds to the book, published by Clarion Books, g ...more
Kelly
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read it twice. The first time, read the words at look at how the pictures associate with the words. The second time, really pay attention to the illustrations, because you probably already know the words.
Emily
Jean Jullien has become one of my favorite picture book illustrators. His pictures are simple, yet bold, and always imbued with a sense of sly humor. Maybe it's that same style that seems unsuited to the text here. The juxtaposition of a cartoony pigeon, a symbolic olive branch always in its beak, with the serious and hopeful words just felt really trite to me. For instance, the lyrics "Nothing to kill or die for / and no religion too" are represented by two gulls squabbling over a mildly annoye ...more
Brett
A beautifully illustrated picture book capturing the incredibly simple yet earth-shatteringly powerful message of one of John Lennon's best pieces of songwriting, published in conjunction with Amnesty International - what could possibly be a better, more important thing to share with very young children in the world we're living in right now? *Goes to the store immediately to buy a dozen copies to hand out to every little kid she knows*
Kay Hommedieu
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this picture book of the lovely John Lennon song "Imagine". Finally it is a picture book for children to enjoy for themselves. It also fits me theologically because I have agnostic leanings with a Unitarian/Universalist background. The line "Imagine there's no heaven" may bother Christians but I'm okay with it, because I don't believe in hell either.

Read it yourself to hum along with the words.
Helen
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love John Lennon and I love that this book exists. I think it’s so important that everyone knows the themes of John Lennon’s “Imagine” and how everyone can live in peace no matter what. All the birds were different, just like all people all. I’m so glad that John Lennon is still inspiring us today. This was so excellent to read.
Alyssa Gudenburr
This picture book uses the lyrics from John Lennon's song Imagine and puts them in picture book format. Very short sentences per page and large pictures. However the first lyrics of "Imagine there's no heaven" and "No hell below us" might not be storytime appropriate depending upon your patrons.
Rebecca Caufman
It is hard not to SING this book! The words of John Lennon's song come alive with a birds.
Earl
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Lennon's classic song is now a picture book illustrated by Jean Jullien. Includes a foreword by Yoko Ono and an afterword by Amnesty International.
Miss Kelly
Okay picture book of the song by John Lennon.
Bill Buckley
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a book put out by the organization called Amnesty International, which is a group that works for human rights around the world. With a forward by Yoko Ono Lennon.
  • The Goon Show Scripts
  • The Doors: The Complete Illustrated Lyrics
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • Memories of John Lennon
  • The Simpsons One Step Beyond Forever: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family...Continued Yet Again
  • Pretty in Punk: 25 Punk, Rock, and Goth Knitting Projects
  • 50 Ideas You Really Need to Know Religion
  • Jazz Baby
  • The 12 Days of Christmas
  • Walking in a Winter Wonderland
John Winston Ono Lennon, MBE, was an English singer-songwriter who rose to worldwide fame as one of the founding members of The Beatles, and together with Paul McCartney formed one of the most successful songwriting partnerships of the 20th century.

Born and raised in Liverpool, Lennon became involved in the skiffle craze as a teenager, his first band, The Quarrymen, evolving into The Beatles in 19
“Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one”
624 likes