Start by marking “Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet” as Want to Read:
Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet

Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet

3.60  ·  Rating details ·  9,964 ratings  ·  2,390 reviews
Whether or not you believe in fate, or luck, or love at first sight, every romance has to start somewhere. MEET CUTE is an anthology of original short stories featuring tales of "how they first met" from some of today’s most popular YA authors.

Readers will experience Nina LaCour's beautifully written piece about two Bay Area girls meeting via a cranky customer service Twe
Published January 2nd 2018 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Meet Cute, please sign up.
Anneliese I would say 11+ because of the references, but younger audiences can read if they are mature book-wise.
Anneliese All the stories are about love at first sight, and it is not offensive to me as I felt there was good representation of the LGBT+ community, but I wou…moreAll the stories are about love at first sight, and it is not offensive to me as I felt there was good representation of the LGBT+ community, but I would get another opinion in case I missed something someone else saw as offensive.(less)

·  9,964 ratings  ·  2,390 reviews

Start your review of Meet Cute: Some People Are Destined to Meet
Elle (TheBookishActress)
so it turns out love is a real and not fake thing that exists!! who knew? I certainly did not!

It might be sort of horribly ironic that I rated almost half these stories a very mixed and very mediocre three stars. BUT there were some super great standouts, hm? Some that might… I don’t know… warrant buying this entire collection?

Okay. Somewhere That’s Green by Meredith Russo was fantastic and important and so worth the read. Oomph by Emery Lord is the Cutest thing I have ever read. The Unlikely Li
Nat
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes I just need to get sucked into a feel-good story and stay there until I'm finished. Thankfully, I accomplished just that with this anthology full of short bursts of sweetness with meet-cutes, butterflies, first impressions, and so much more.

Source

Just some of my personal memorable stories from the book:

• Nina LaCour's Print Shop:

Funnily enough, this story opens with our main character, Evie, receiving her first job where she's set to develop an online presence for a print sho
Lala BooksandLala

SAY
High Lady of The Night Court
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology-tbr
This is a wonderful book and will help you get out of a reading slump if you are in one.

All the stories in this book dealt with quite the range of topics and every single one is vastly different than the rest. Every author approached the topic of a meet cute in their own way and watching how they laid out their stories was beautiful. I suppose this book is so easy to read because there is a lot less apprehension in the reader because we simply know that a meet cute will happen and the story beyo
Heather
Dec 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5

LOVED this! Definitely one of my new favorite YA anthologies! There were 4 stories in this collection I gave 5 stars to!
Such an adorable, diverse and fun read!

* I will be filming a review on this where I tell you my individual ratings for each story which I will then post to here!*
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
Average rating: 3.2/5
My rating: 3/5

This had such high points and low points, which is exactly how I feel after every single anthology I read. I think the concept of this whole collection was nice, but I would have liked a couple more stories from male perspectives - and a m/m story perhaps? Don't get me wrong, I loved how many f/f stories were in this, but I think it could have benefited from some other narrators. But let's get into my specific feelings on all 14 stories.

Breakdown of the stories
emma
I LIKE LOVE, OKAY.

from an artistic standpoint, that is. i like romantic comedies. i like romantic subplots in my favorite TV shows. all the best songs are about love. i read an endless string of disappointing contemporaries because every once in a while, i find one that makes me feel something.

i'm cynical and pessimistic and sometimes mean. i can be bitter and hardhearted. but i like love-related art.

so i was excited for this book, and, to some degree, i got what i expected. maybe not what i hop
Candace Robinson
This book was full of cute stories and just what I needed! Armentrout's was my favorite, and I couldn't stop smiling while reading it! I kind of want to go check out a dictionary now! But they were all different and had me feeling good!! Sometimes you just need a short story, or in this case, an anthology of them!!
Nina
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-in-2017
*Thanks to HMH Books for Young Readers for sending me an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Actual Rating: 3.54/5 stars

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno: 2 stars
Unfortunately, I disliked both the POV of this story and the author’s writing style. Siege Etiquette was cute, but I also think that it wasn’t that interesting and I definitely wouldn’t be interested in reading more of this story.

Print Shop by Nina LaCour: 3.5 stars
I once again didn’t like the P
Riley
Jan 25, 2018 added it
Shelves: short-stories
DNF @ 50%

This just wasn't for me. Some of the stories were cute but they all ended as soon as I got interested.
Carmen
Let's just get into this.

STORY ONE: SIEGE ETIQUETTE by Katie Cotugno

Your heart is a siren wailing deep inside your chest.

Hailey hides out with farmboy Wolf when police come to bust up her friend's party.

Some things really annoyed me about this story.

For one thing, Cotugno lets us know that there is a darkness in Hailey's life. What is it? How can we possibly be in her head and not know? I hate when authors pull this shit. The narrator has some deep, dark secret. In this case it is a secret from
Maureen
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
All of these stories were PRESH! Anthologies are sometimes not my thing but THESE ALL WERE. MEET CUTES ARE THE BEST.
My faves were Something Real, The Unlikelihood of Falling in Love, The dictionary of You and Me, The Intern, and Click. But I actually really liked all of them? The lowest rating I gave an individual story was 3.5/5 sooooooo ya know.
Cesar
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was ok

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m probably a soulless husk with a stone-cold heart.

description

Which, if you met me IRL, that wouldn't be far from the truth.

description

A bit of an overexaggerating, I know, but I certainly felt like one reading Meet Cute.

I think I’m in the minority where I didn’t like Meet Cute.

When it comes to cute things to me, it varies. Red pandas are cute.

*boop*
description

And even some romance is cute. Especially anime romance because let’s be real, anime is better than real life.

Meet Cute shoul
Larry H
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Meet Cute was an absolutely enjoyable, memorable collection of stories about that first magical encounter.

Boy, this book lived up to its name!! Subtitled "Some People Are Destined to Meet," this collection of 14 stories by some of YA’s leading authors and others who should be better-known, left me in a great mood, high on love and romance.

Each story tells of how two people meet (not always cute right away) and a spark is felt. Some of the stories have LGBTQ and/or interracial theme
Stacee
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I don’t normally read anthologies, but this topic of meet-cutes and all of these fantastic authors, I just couldn’t resist.

I read a couple of paragraphs of each story to decide if I wanted to continue. I read all of the stories except 4 of them and the stories that I did read were fantastic.

Lots of great characters and clever set ups and representation. Some kissing, but looooooots of sweet moments. My ultimate favorite was JLA’s story that featured a library and an overdue dictionary.

Overall

Summary (from Goodreads):

Readers
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 4.5/5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⠀

One word: Awww💕. Nicely done, authors, nicely done. This is the first anthology I’ve read ever!

TOP TEN FAVORITE STORIES...⠀

[1] THE WAY WE LOVE HERE-Dhonielle Clayton. (4.5/5) I need to check out one of her books ASAP!!

[2] THE DICTIONARY OF YOU AND ME- Jennifer L. Armentrout. (4.5/5) Takes place in a library, do I need to say more?⠀

[3] OOMPH- Emery Lord. (4/5) I love Emery Lord’s stories.💛

[4] 259 MILLION MILES- Kass Morgan. (4/5) Literally squeaked at the last line. So adora
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This wasn’t quite as cute as I was hoping it would be, but there were some gems mixed in so I’m not mad about it.

SIEGE ETIQUETTE by Katie Cotugno - 2 stars
Beatrice Masaluñga
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, arc
Thank you HMH Teen for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review

Meet Cute is a collection of contemporary stories about cute first encouters turned into romance. Not all people enjoy insta-love but once in a while, you'll want it if you're looking for something fluffy. The stories were hit or miss to me but my favorites were written by Katharine McGee and Sara Shepard (both were new to me authors). Overall, this is a nice and likable collection.

SIEGE ETIQUETTE Katie Cotugno - 1.5 / 5
Lily ☁️
I started this completely on a whim, and I don’t know if I’ll read all of the short stories in this book, but I need some cuteness in my life, so here we go.

1. Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno – 2½ stars [👫]
This was quite cute, but, to my dismay, involved cheating (even though the situation is a bit ambiguous [one of the characters is in an on-again/off-again kind of relationship]), but overall, definitely cute, and I liked the fact that the main character isn’t someone you’d necessarily “li
Erin
Jan 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
The most appropriately named book of the year for 2018 might just be this short story anthology featuring some of the hottest YA authors. Whether you're looking for that first love or you're feeling a bit nostalgic, these twelve stories may just leave you feeling a little more "cutesy" inside.

Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Selene
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Thank you NetGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Books for the advanced reading copy of the anthology Meet Cute.

The authors I have read from before are Nina LaCour, Katherine McGee, Julie Murphy, Sara Shepard, and Nicola Yoon.

I can’t wait to read the new to me authors in this anthology that I’ve heard wonderful things about like Jennifer L. Armentrout, Katie Cotugno, Emery Lord, Kass Morgan, and Ibi Zoboi.

I would lis
My_Strange_Reading
#mystrangereading Meet Cute: Some People are Destined to Meet by Various Authors ⭐️⭐️

Meh. I think after some reflection I'm going to bump this down to 2/5. I just really didn't enjoy it.

If you like short stories, you might enjoy it. If you love 'meet cute' stories, then you will like it, but I just realized while I was reading each story that the 'meet cute' isn't the part of the story that I like. I enjoy the growth of a relationship and seeing the characters grow in their love of one another.
Charlotte Annelise
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This short story collection was really fun to read and I liked that there was so much variety in all of the stories. Some were more heavy on the romance and some put more focus into the overall plot. Romance is my favourite genre, so I am glad this book exists! I was also so surprised that there were four LGBTQ+ short stories, which was great.

Siege Etiquette by Katie Cotugno - 3/5 stars

Siege Etiquette is about a popular girl at a party who gets stuck in a bathroom with Wolf, a country boy. The
Romie
On average, I gave this book 3.70. It's not bad, but it shows that some of the stories weren't good. Some of them got 1/5 or 2.5, a few got 5/5 but that's because I'm more generous when I rate short stories because I rate both on the story and the potential it has to be a great book.

I would like to say that this anthology still ended up disappointing me ... first because the cover is false advertising, you get a few f/f relationships, but most of them are f/m and there is not one m/m like the co
Dana

Aw what a cute, mushy, adorable collection of meet cutes! There is a huge range of stories in here, bursting with originality and tons of diversity. Some of the stories were a little cheesy for my taste, but most left me with a smile on my face, and the characters fondly in my thoughts long after I finished the story. I think this book would make a very cute valentines day gift.

Buy, Borrow or Bin Verdict: Buy

Check out more of my reviews here

Note: I received this book for free in exchange for an
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Total Average Rating of all the Short stories: 3.57 stars

SIEGE ETIQUETTE by Katie Cotugno: 3/5 stars
Wolf and Hailey. The queen bee and the sort of loser. There was a lot going on in the few pages that stirred my curiosity. What happened to her past and what changed with how people treat her. The chemistry between the two definitely exists but alas, it ended too soon. This is definitely an idea that could work really well in a full-blown novel.

PRINT SHOP by Nina La Cour: 4/5 stars
Evie and
shannon ✨
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
actually getting more and more excited for this
eeekk!!

• the department of dead love - 4 stars
ambsreads
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it
THIS REVIEW IS ALSO ON MY BLOG - CHECK IT OUT HERE

The Meet Cute anthology was an interesting one. There were so many authors and so many stories. Some I couldn’t wait to end and others I wanted to be extended to fill the pages of a novel. For this review, I’ve tried to review each story featured in this anthology. They’re quite short but I find it difficult to rate an anthology as a whole (3 is what I just figured was the average among these).

This collection definitely was super cute and I do lo
emma
shoutout to Elise for recommending so many good stories in this!! I'm marking this as read bc I probably won't read any more of them at this point, but if I missed one of your favs let me know and I'll try to check it out. :)

I also don't feel like I can accurately rate this bc I only finished 5/14 stories? idk this review is a mess but imma rate the ones I did read individually.

ICYMI, this anthology has some seriously great sapphic shit:

Print Shop by Nina LaCour: A girl working at a printing s

• Three Sides of a Heart: Stories about Love Triangles
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Emergency Contact
  • Tweet Cute
  • What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1)
  • Field Notes on Love
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood #2)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Opposite of Always
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • All Out: The No-Longer-Secret Stories of Queer Teens throughout the Ages
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • American Panda
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Love, Hate & Other Filters
  • Save the Date
  • Birthday
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo

Articles featuring this book

All love stories have to start somewhere. Nicola Yoon, the author of The Sun Is Also a Star and Everything, Everything, shares an excerpt about you...
“Some people you want to get to know and some people you want to know you....For whatever reason, there are people that you want to tell your weird, secret thoughts to. You want to show them your pimples and tell them about your braces. You want them to love you because of those things, not in spite of them. 'Some people make you want to be known,'" (p. 302)” 22 likes
“What do you think the difference between wanting to be friends and wanting to be more than friends is?"
"Some people you want to get to know and some people you want to know you. I think that's the difference.”
12 likes