Start by marking “The Asshole Survival Guide: How to Deal with People Who Treat You Like Dirt” as Want to Read:
The Asshole Survival Guide: How to Deal with People Who Treat You Like Dirt

The Asshole Survival Guide: How to Deal with People Who Treat You Like Dirt

If you're feeling stressed out, overtaxed, under-appreciated, bullied, or abused because you work with a jerk, learn how to avoid, outwit, and disarm assholes—today.

Equally useful and entertaining, The Asshole Survival Guide delivers a cogent and methodical game plan when you find yourself working with a jerk—whether in the office, on the field, in the classroom, or jus
Published September 12th 2017 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Asshole Survival Guide, please sign up.
Robert I. Thanks so much. I am the author. I tried very hard to make clear that people who feel oppressed by jerks are often part or all of the problem. Thanks …moreThanks so much. I am the author. I tried very hard to make clear that people who feel oppressed by jerks are often part or all of the problem. Thanks for asking, an great point. At the end of the first chapter --because of the tendency to blame others too much and not look in the mirror-- my suggestion is that readers adopt the mantra "Be slow to label others as assholes, and quick to label yourself." I touch on this constantly throughout the book, it is a major theme in the last chapter, and I wrote an article based on the book that was aimed at senior executives for the McKinsey Quarterly that suggests that they are considerable risk of acting like oppressive jerks, and need to recruit trusted people to call them out. I tried hard to strike a balance.(less)
Jakub Korčák Hi Debbie, as somebody, who is reading this book right now, I can confirm, that you, Notorious d.e.b. (@debihope), are being cited as the author of th…moreHi Debbie, as somebody, who is reading this book right now, I can confirm, that you, Notorious d.e.b. (@debihope), are being cited as the author of this quote(less)

Start your review of The Asshole Survival Guide: How to Deal with People Who Treat You Like Dirt
Jen
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
WARNING!!!

While useful, this book is also very, VERY depressing, because it basically says, here's how you can cope if you can't escape, but if you can, escape. It's not big on fighting, but I think that is because people only act like huge jerks when they can get away with it. If they couldn't, they would have been brought down by now.

So, unless I want to have Mutually Assured Destruction, my game plan is avoidance at all costs.

Not what I wanted to hear, but perhaps what I needed to hear. I j
Peeter Mõtsküla
Feb 07, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably written for Americans. The author keeps reiterating same basic concepts over and over again. The author also tries to make this book look like a result of solid scientific research -- every now and then, there are numerous references to other authors & researchers who have written about related topics. Leaving the pseudo-scientific pomposity aside, the book could be compressed into a thin brochure containing somewhat useful guidance.

Summary

When faced with an asshole:
1) Talk to him. Ever
David
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't read this for its 'self-help' aspect. A friend mentioned she was reading it and I checked it out. Mainly because... The Thing who is daily hellbent on bringing this country to its knees has now given license to the (what seems like) millions of assholes who, before this 'administration', did not have the balls to act on the fullness of their asshole natures. But now they're everywhere... 24/7.

So I figured I best read up on some of what makes some of them tick - and on how to be better
Summer
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfic, worklife
Nothing you didn't already know but I liked reading it at work because I imagined people seeing the cover and wondering if I was reading about them.
Sarah Schultz
Oct 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
I returned the Audible version of the book--he kept saying "ex-pecially" instead of "es-pecially," and he uses the word a lot. It was driving me nuts.
Tariq Mahmood
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Assholes are not only omniscient but also omnipresent, which makes dealing with them or around them a major challenge in our daily lives. Assholes on their own or assholes in a group can create an asshole environment which is obviously a lot more dangerous. The book recommends staying away but if we cant afford to it shows you many techniques to counter assholes and asshole environments. It's not easy as each case is unique but as the author says, it is not what you say that matters its how you ...more
Darren
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short and simple title that accurately describes this book’s raison d’etre. Fortunately, it need not apply to this author to deal with reviewers of his excellent book, which mixes humour and sage advice together to deal with what can be a very serious and troubling problem for many, especially at work.

It is more than just a book with a humorous title, mouthing a few platitudes. It has the benefit of ‘science’ – well academic research to be precise – and the author could informally be described
Reese Copeland
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It is able to describe the difficulties and struggles of someone who has to deal with a person like this . It offers some practical tips to how you can cope with someone like this. I find it very helpful in my own career and see myself putting some of it into practice to the extent I can. It reads quickly and is not all weighed down with technical jargon.
Sumit
Jul 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was reasonably interesting, but not all I had hoped it would be. It does provide a wide catalogue of asshole types and tests to determine whether someone else (or you) is the asshole, but its coping strategies are mostly obvious and more folk psychology peppered with the occasional study than novel strategies. Perhaps I've read too much social psychology from the original sources already (the author constantly cites Kahneman, Dunning-Kruger effect, and other well-known themes in modern ...more
Ashik Bekal
Jun 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Assholes are everywhere! Be it your neighborhood, work place or just online. And their effect on us can be profound, even our well-being. This book offers practical advice of identifying and tackling different kinds of Assholes. Some of the techniques could surprise you even.
I like the way he begins with 6 diagnostic questions on how bad the problem is and are you being blind to it, then dwells into asshole detection. He goes through various tackling techniques like Avoidance, Reframing and even
Steven Freeman
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
Another great book by Bob Sutton. This is a follow up to his classic “The No Asshole Rule” which should be on every faculty members and administrators’ book shelf. This book focuses on strategies for dealing with the jerks (or worse) that we encounter in our lives. While I had already taken advantage of many of the strategies, I did learn some new ones to try and how to increase my success rate for not letting the assholes drag me down or turn me into one of them.

K
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
So I’m on a kick of reading self help books with curse words in the title. So I saw this and picked it up. Eh, this was too long and too repetitive. After about the third chapter I was done with this book. It took me forever to finish after that.
gbkMnkii
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
While i was reading the following quotation was in my head:

"
So I was sitting in my "cubical" today and I realized, ever since I've started working ( here ) every single day of my life is worse than the day before it.
So that means that every single day that you see me that is the worst day of my life.
"

Having a toxic workplace is though. I'll try some of the tips.
Beulah
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, work
This book was a string of revelations! I started reading it with an idea that it would be good to know how to deal with assholes at work (which it is) and then I realised all the times that I've been the asshole (humbling and useful). So I feel more equipped to deal with bad behaviour (both my own and other people's), but another nice thing happened.

I was praising this book and the person I was talking to said "is it making you think about [redacted]?" And you know what? I realised that I hadn't
Katarzyna
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
It didn't deliver. A few interesting clinical facts and good intensions, but overall a bit basic. It's symptomatic of the peak capitalism, that most of the advice is on how to change yourself, and advice on how to change abusive systems is presented as risky and usually pointless. With statements like "first determine if you are not an asshole" or "you have a duty of self-care", this book under fancy branding, serves to upkeep the status quo.
Susanna Camp
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Given the number of jerks we’ve encountered in the tech world these past few months, we need all the tools we can get. For those of us with bosses, co-workers, clients, or customers, Bob Sutton’s book offers invaluable “asshole avoidance techniques” and more. Comedian and naming expert Marc Hershon wrote, and I edited, this review on Smartup.life. ...more
Julius
Jul 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Book53/2020

Worst advice ever.
So if you encounter assholes, you as a non-asshole have to go through so many steps of endurance and self-detachment to avoid feeling bad from assholes?

Why don’t we try to think from a victims mindset and see where people can get realistic advice than ‘tune out’, ‘try to be the bigger person’, etc. The advice and ‘studies’ in this book is just empty talk that provides absolutely no help when people actually go through all this in real life. I work in an extremely to
ratherastory
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I enjoyed this book, probably a bit more than your average self-help/how to cope with office shenanignans book because I do enjoy an author who swears. That is 100% personal bias, though.

Overall I liked the anecdotes, the advice was sound, and I really like the author's premise that it's easier to build a respectful workplace from the ground up rather than trying to fix it once it's broken.

Like most of the books on this topic, it's very much geared toward offices in private companies. Capitalism
Julia
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The writer is very methodical in his writing. In a way it made it harder to keep focus on the book, although the stories the author had collected did bring my attention back. I didn't find much of anything new in the advice that was provided, but I do think this is a book I would have like to have when I started my first job. You see it prepares you for a world brimming with assholes. I think it would have saved me a lot of heartache and a nervous break down. Overall I would say that the intent ...more
Tristan
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Incredibly insightful and helpful. While most of the advice feels like a no-brainer, it's good to be given a reminder that you aren't alone and the importance of reframing your mind. While I bought this during a difficult time in my career and while I've left the hostile environment by the time I've finished it, I feel that I am now better armed in handling said assholes in my life from both career and personal lives. There will always be those sort in life and being better prepared to deal with ...more
Leonardi Louis
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen warr
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
It’s a sad fact that there are so many self serving and plain mean people in workplaces. I found this book full of really useful techniques and love the overall message that we need to display behaviour that encourage others to be civil, and that there are sadly a portion of people who just need to stop being assholes. Full of useful tips about how these people think and how to take their fuel away and put the fire out.
Andreia
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must-read on organizational behaviour. Should be read by anyone regardless of their career, profession, company or stage in life as at some point you shall encounter assholes.
Liked also the way it was narrated - a warm and friendly voice, although some advice seemed contradictory or inconclusive.
Sparked interest about the 1st book, that has been read extensively by people worldwide.
Sharon
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a well thought out book with some interesting research to back it up on how to deal with assholes. Sadly assholes are everywhere! The author provides some good tips on how to manage different situations. It would be nice if companies actually cared about their employees and did not enable and condone this abusive behavior.
Jen
Some good strategies for dealing with difficult people--but not enough to make a full book out of it. I did like that he asked readers to take a look at themselves to make sure they're not being the asshole.
Alesha Hubbell
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work
Read this one for work. The vocabulary was amazing, my favorite thing about the book. The tips about how to deal with jerks and how to not be one were also useful.
Yana Tretyakova
highly recommend
Vivien
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5, good practical tips and techniques for surviving assholes.
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you need expert help for unbelievable situations.
Steven
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, with interesting examples, but also very brief - could have been longer and done a more in-depth dive into the psychological/sociological drivers for asshole behaviors.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Sizing People Up: A Veteran FBI Agent's User Manual for Behavior Prediction
  • Как забыть все забывать. 15 простых привычек, чтобы не искать ключи по всей квартире
  • Mind Over Clutter: Cleaning Your Way to a Calm and Happy Home
  • 30 Ways to Reboot Your Body: A Complete User Manual for Getting the Most Out of the Human Body
  • The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us
  • Money 101: เริ่มต้นนับหนึ่งสู่ชีวิตการเงินอุดมสุข
  • The Mentoring Manual: Your Step by Step Guide to Being a Better Mentor
  • Who The F*ck Am I To Be A Coach?!: A Warrior's Guide to Building a Wildly Successful Coaching Business From the Inside Out
  • The Coaching Manual: The Definitive Guide to The Process, Principles and Skills of Personal Coaching
  • The Leader's Guide to Coaching & Mentoring: How to Use Soft Skills to Get Hard Results
  • History of Bourbon
  • Minu maailm. Romantiku(te) heitlused (Minu..., #103)
  • เพื่อนเก่าที่หายสาบสูญ: สุขภาพดีด้วยการดูแลระบบนิเวศในร่างกาย
  • ชีวิตมั่งคั่งด้วยกระเป๋าสตางค์ใบเดียว
  • Less Doing, More Living: Make Everything in Life Easier
  • ทำไมสิ่งนี้ถึงดีต่อสุขภาพ
  • Verihurmade aed
  • Finders Keepers: A Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession
Robert Sutton is Professor of Management Science and Engineering at Stanford and a Professor of Organizational Behavior, by courtesy, at the Stanford Graduate School of Business. Sutton studies innovation, leaders and bosses, evidence-based management, the links between knowledge and organizational action, and workplace civility. Sutton’s books include Weird Ideas That Work: 11 ½ Practices for Pro ...more

News & Interviews

“at the end of the day people won’t remember what you said or did, they will remember how you made them feel.” 4 likes
“Be slow to label others as assholes, be quick to label yourself as one.” 2 likes