Start by marking “Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)” as Want to Read:
Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)

Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying (Call of Cthulhu RPG)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  6,231 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Ordinary people are confronted by the terrifying beings and forces of the Cthulhu Mythos. Players portray investigators of things unknown and unspeakable. Except for dice, everything needed for play is included in this book. Call of Cthulhu includes extensive background about H. P. Lovecraft, one-stop investigator creation, dozens of skills, three eras of play (1890s, 1920 ...more
Hardcover, Edition 5.6, 288 pages
Published January 1st 2000 by Chaosium (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Call of Cthulhu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call of Cthulhu

Forrest
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call of Cthulhu has made my list of #7RPGs (which is in need of updating to include Dungeon Crawl Classics, but I digress). This 7th edition takes the previous editions and ratchets the game up a notch, not by any hugely different mechanics (you'll still find the Basic Roleplaying system at its core), but by presenting a carefully-crafted approach not only to the Call of Cthulhu game, but to roleplaying in general. In fact, I recommend any game master of any roleplaying game to read Chapter 10: ...more
StoryTellerShannon
This is an older edition of the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game. Third edition, that is.

For people like myself who are playing 7th edition this is a great historical overview as to how the game came to be over the many decades. For myself, some of the old maps and scenarios may prove useful

The CoC RPG is easily in my top three overall RPGs!

OVERALL GRADE: B plus to A minus.
Susan Bin
um why aren't you rpging this right now
Devin
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpgs
While I was aware of the existence of horror roleplaying games as a young teen - a friend had a copy of Chill, and another friend had a copy of Beyond the Supernatural - Call of Cthulhu served as my most memorable introduction to horror roleplay, as well as my introduction to Lovecraft's work. One of the striking things about the game when I started playing was that it was set in the 1920s, a period I had known little to nothing about. It has since become my favorite horror game, in part because ...more
Christopher
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpgs-and-hobbies
About time I put this up here. The best roleplaying game of all time to me. I have been playing this game since I was 13 and still play it today 16 years later. Of all the games I have run as GM, this is the one I have run the most, and the most successfully as well. It is probably the only rpg (along with Dying Earth) where I know the rules by heart and do not have to consistently look up reading material.

The percentage system is sublime, but most importantly, unlike most other games, leveling
Johan Thilander
Rollspelsregler.
Ska spela med min lilla rollspelsgrupp, kommer att vara första gången som jag agerar spelledare. Sjukt taggad!
Jay Little
May 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sandy Petersen and Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu Roleplaying game is one of the longest running, most enduring, and most influential RPGS of all time. Over the different editions, I believe it has been translated into more than a dozen languages. The game system is simple, but does an excellent job of evoking the otherworldly horrors and insanity-inducing encounters of Lovecrafts work. It is an important work in the RPG industry.
Terence
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: College-era playgroup
I remember playing this a few times during my UCLA days with a group of fellow RPG enthusiasts (this was the era of 2nd Edition AD&D). The one thing I remember about the game was that the longer one's character dealt with the Elder Gods et al. the greater the chances that one would go insane.
B.  Barron
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpg
Great Game.
Joelle2289
meh. definetly had some interesting moments, and the narrator I had (audio version) was great, but not very exciting otherwise.
Rutha
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Preludes
To play Call of Cthulhu, all you need is one person to act as Games-Master (who creates the story scenarios and controls the non-playable-characters) and another few people (2-6 usually works great, but you can have more or even less). You also need character sheets (found in this book) and dice (two D10s are essential, but sometimes you also need D6s etc). Then all you do is gather around a table and play out the scenario the GM has created, creating your own exciting story, using dice rolls to ...more
Oliver Eike
Most have heard the names Lovecraft or Cthulhu. Both are rather iconic in their own respect.

So you have a roleplaying game by Chaosim set in Lovecraft's mythos, where you can, if your really unlucky, meet Cthulhu, and then be devoured shortly thereafter.

You play as a investigator that look into anything from a haunted house to mysterious deaths at a nearby graveyard. Or you do battle against nerfarious cults trying to summon or advance the plots of eldritch horrors beyond human understanding.
Chris
It's begining to worry me that I am the only person to have rated any of these games on GoodReads. Am I the only user to enter any RPGs? Fly that freak-flag, I say!

I only played Cthulhu a few times in college. Of course, the premise is promising - its Cthulhu! Who hasn't wanted to do research at Miskitonic, uncover a dark and antedeluvian cult, or die gibbering and clawing at one's skin after seeing the precyclopian horror that man was not meant to know? And there-in lies the draw-back to this
Krzysztof
I have a friend who's a long-time Call of Cthulhu GM and player. He always said that if you want to run Call of Cthulhu, reading the rulebook is a mistake. He's 100% right.

Out of this 300+ pages corebook, you need only read the first 100 (the rules themselves), or the first half of the book if you're feeling generous (pages 100-150 is some semi-useful fluff and GM advice). Do not bother with the other 150 pages, because there's almost nothing there worth reading. I skipped the Spells chapter and
Simon
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The classic horror roleplaying game, in the bizarre horror setting of HP Lovecraft and his contemporaries (in which the earth is inhabited by aliens that madmen collude with, including ancient god like aliens around whom cults have formed). I'm owned various editions, and have just picked up the 7th, so I'm still getting to grips with it. It's a great game but the quality of the game often depends on the quality of the scenario played with, and often how disbelief the players can suspend in conf ...more
Alex Bergonzini
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este libro de ROL es complejo y sencillo al mismo tiempo, planear una historia debe ser la ostia, pero lo voy a intentar con todos los detalles, que son increíblemente intensos y complejos. Un jugo donde la acción consiste en dar un inmenso rodeo para afrontar la realidad y conseguir superarla con el poder de la información, mucho más directa que la acción.

Este fetiche sacado de la biblioteca debe ser mio, mio, mio, mio...
Thomas Kadim
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: role-playing
I have fallen in love with the fiction of Lovecraft. This is by far the most enjoyable pen and paper RPG I have played. The d100 system works great, and really contributes to unique character development. The horror and mystery of Lovecraft creates a suspense like in no other RPG. Almost anything, from a bear, to a zombie, or a trap, it can kill you; and yet, the largest threat by far, is your own mind falling into insanity.
Daniel Yocom
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of Lovecraft, and like to play role-playing games, this is a must for your collection. I had the opportunity to read this for a review for Utah Geek Magazine, later posting the review on my own blog, guildmastergaming@blogspot.com. Those in my group that joined me in playing through same Call of Cthulhu really enjoyed the setting and the build. This is not a hack and slash game, but one of thinking.
Stephen Simpson
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Theory versus practice. I think this is a gaming system with a lot of potential and I think this rulebook is a really fun read even if you never intend to play the game (for Lovecraft mythos fans, at least). That said, the game itself demands a lot of skill from the GM and a lot of buy-in from players and that's a hard combination to achieve.
Kat
Apr 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rpgs, 2005
Probably my favorite RPG of all time. The roleplaying is way more important than number crunching, leveling, and min-maxing. It's very difficult not to have good stories with this game, but it's also sometimes very difficult to find a good group to play with. If you're a gamer and you haven't tried this game, you should, especially if you consider yourself mroe of a role-player than a gamer.
Jean-Francois Boivin
I have these versions of the rules:

1st edition (box), 2nd printing
3rd edition (box)
3rd edition (UK hardcover)
4th edition
5th edition
5.6.1 (hardcover)
5.6.Corrected (20th Anniversary Edition)
6th edition (30th Anniversary 2011 Edition)
Try Ngaserin
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Simply one of the best BRPs out there. Get a group of 4-6 and you're set to go. This is a must-try for all RPers, we still run sessions (6th Edition) from time to time so contact me if you are interested.
Richard Do
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the forefather of dark fantasy and the born of Lovecraft horror genre,even throughout the book we don t get any kind of ultimate chilling feeling,the mysterious of the story still managed to pull us into a deform,monstrous underground world that Lovecraft has borne
Jonathan Ratty
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still one of the best RPGs of all time. The scenarios written for this game were of such high quality, they pushed gaming into new directions: The Masks of Nyarlathotep is rightly regarded as probably the best one ever written in any game setting.
Dan  Ray
I really liked the idea of playing a character until they ran out of Sanity points instead of health levels or hit points. You aren't throwing down in battle until you're slain, you're trying to hold on to reality until you go mad. Good times.
Paul
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, supernatural, rpg
The quintessential horror rpg. A rule system you can write on about 4 sides of A4, one that scales brilliantly when the PCs get more experienced and a setting that leaves the PCs feeling helpless no matter what they know or how experienced they are - what's not to love?
Steve
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay. This is certainly not for everyone. But if you're the type who enjoys role playing, you should give this a go. You'll have to roll an idea check after reading, because this corebook an *insanely* good time!
Jared
Sep 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: games
I always enjoyed the subject matter, so trying the game was a natural leap. Sat in on a session of Call of Cthulhu at a gaming con back in 94 and it was not only very imaginative, but the game mechanics were much more fluid than others I had played up to that point. It's certainly worth a look.
JoAnn
Apr 27, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Read the original story.
Goodreads Librari...: Call of Chtulhu 4 39 Feb 17, 2015 07:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: Call of Cthulhu 3 23 Jan 23, 2015 01:15PM
  • Delta Green (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Trail of Cthulhu (Trail of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Vampire: The Masquerade Revised
  • Dungeon Masters Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition)
  • Vampire: The Dark Ages
  • The World of Darkness (Main Rulebook)
  • Mage: The Ascension Revised Edition
  • Ravenloft (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Module I6)
  • Savage Worlds Explorer's Edition
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, Stock #2101)
  • Shadowrun (Second Edition)
  • Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook (Pathfinder RPG)
  • Vampire: The Requiem (nWOD)
  • Mage: The Ascension: Pride, Power, Paradox: A Storytelling Game of Reality on the Brink
  • Player's Handbook (Dungeons & Dragons Edition 3.5)
  • Dark Heresy RPG: Core Rulebook
  • Guide to the Camarilla
  • Legends and Lore: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition)
Carl Sanford Joslyn Petersen is an American game designer.
More about Sandy Petersen...

Call of Cthulhu RPG (1 - 10 of 273 books)
  • Shadows of Yog-Sothoth (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Arkham Evil (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Asylum and Other Tales (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Cthulhu Companion: Ghastly Adventures & Erudite Lore (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Death in Dunwich (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Pursuit to Kadath (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Curse of the Chthonians: Four Odysseys Into Deadly Intrigue (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • Curse of Cthulhu: A Campaign of Desperate Struggle Against the Brotherhood (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • "Glozel Est Authentique!" (Call of Cthulhu RPG)
  • The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island (Call of Cthulhu RPG)