Start by marking “A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War” as Want to Read:
A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War

A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,657 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
One of our most provocative military historians, Victor Davis Hanson has given us painstakingly researched and pathbreaking accounts of wars ranging from classical antiquity to the twenty-first century. Now he juxtaposes an ancient conflict with our most urgent modern concerns to create his most engrossing work to date, A War Like No Other.
Over the course of a generation,
Published October 4th 2005 by Random House (NY) (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A War Like No Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A War Like No Other

Erik Graff
Jun 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Westerners
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
Having enjoyed another book by Victor Davis Hanson, The Soul of Battle, I picked this one up when a copy was put up for sale at the Hayward, Wisconsin Public Library over the Memorial Day weekend. Since reading Thucydides freshman year at Grinnell College, the history of the Peloponnesian War has held interest. This account was no disappointment. Indeed, compared to others, it was original.

The originality of Hanson's book is that he doesn't summarize Thucydides and the Oxyrhinchos Historian. He
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected that I'd like this book. I thought it would be pretty good. Then I started reading it, and by the time I finished I realized it was great. I've read my handful of VDH, but this book is really right in his wheelhouse. A classicist by training, he hits this out of the park, but not necessarily in the way one would think. It is historically engrossing, and a very tight narrative, but more than that it is exceptionally moving. Because the Peloponnesian War is not examined merely from a st ...more
Ancient Greece never seemed to be a cohesive, united lot as each city-state focused on its own objectives. Alas, this led to the eventual end of the Golden Age of Athens, which always puzzled me. The Spartans were also intriguing, a society built around masculinity and warfare and the complete opposite of its sibling neighbour of Athens. Why did these two giants fight and what were the consequences?

Hanson provides a full chronology of the issues leading to battles won and lost and he also does a
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of ancient history
For a layperson like myself this was an easy-to-read and fascinating introduction to the Peloponnesian War. Unorthodox in its approach, it was not strictly chronological. As the subtitle indicates, it tells HOW the two enemies fought this war. The title is taken from Thucydides, the historian, who wrote extensively on the war. He called it a "war like no other." Each chapter treated a theme: Why the war was fought; the Spartans' ultimately unsuccessful scorched earth policy in Attica; outbreak a ...more
I enjoy reading classical Greek and Latin literature of all sorts: drama, poetry, and history, as well as books about these topics. So it was with the anticipation of something good that I sat down to read Hanson’s “A War Like No Other”. Hanson is a noted author, historian and classicist, so what could be more interesting than his take on the Peloponnesian war? A lot of things, actually.

Not that “A War Like No Other” is bad. Hanson, as has been noted in many reviews, departs from the typical lin
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-politics
Excellent detailed study of the 27 year war/massacre between Athens and Sparta that involved all Greece and even spread to Sicily from 431-404 BC. The author breaks the conflict down into ten specific areas each with its own chapter providing the reader with a clear picture of the oftentimes confused Peloponnesian War. You need two bookmarks because the footnotes have their own section and are as illuminating and interesting as the text itself.
Jul 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military, history
In the early 5th century BC, the Greeks united to defeat a seemingly invincible host of 250,000 Persians -- a saga that remains an object of fascination even today (see the recent movie "300"). Yet somehow a 150 years later, Phillip of Macedon and his son Alexander subjugated all of Greece with a mere 40,000 men. How? The answer may in part be found through an understanding of the cataclysmic trauma Hellenic civilization endured in between the invasions of Xerxes and Alexander: the Peloponnesian ...more
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A War Like No Other is classical historian Victor Davis Hanson's offering on the Peloponnesian War - the 27 year struggle between the Delian League (Athens and its allies) and the Peloponnesian League (Sparta and its allies) that ran on and off again from 431 to 404 B.C.

Hanson's book is perhaps also a "book like no other" if I may borrow a phrase. Despite the prominently placed quote for the New York Times on the front cover proclaiming that it is a contemporary retelling of the war, this is not
John Nevola
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For history buffs interested in the titanic struggle between Sparta and Athens, known as the Peloponnesian War, this book is real treat! Hanson looks at this conflict from different perspectives and groups his treatment of history into categories such as disease, fire, terror, ships horses and psychological warfare while examining the impact of those elements on the outcome of the war.

Comparisons with modern conflicts and tactics are plentiful which continue to remind us that much of what was d
Oct 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greece, persia
I started this book under the impression that this would be a conservative's take on the Juan Cole Napoleon's Egypt: Invading the Middle East model of history- an extended analysis of America's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan told through the lens of another historical incident. Despite signaling in this direction in his first chapter, Hanson actually hews closely to the historical material at hand. The organization of the narrative by common war experiences (fire, disease, armor, horses, walls, sh ...more
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid commentary on the Peloponnesian War. Helps to have read Thucydides and other ancient commentaries, however Hanson fills in the blanks where needed. I found the chapters on the naval war to be most interesting and instructive as I had never really gotten a feel for the reign of the trireme before. Athens tried to maintain a main fleet of 200 triremes which has always sounded small to me. However Hanson points out that with a crew of about 200 men, this fleet required 40,000 plus to crew, to ...more
Bookmarks Magazine

Victor Davis Hanson, military historian turned Op-Ed rabble-rouser, holds firm to his belief that there are important lessons to be learned from the past. He has written extensively on the subject (The Western Way of War; Carnage and Culture; Between War and Peace). As a "modern Machiavelli" (Daily Telegraph), he has bent the ears of policy makers all the way up to the West Wing. Critics are impressed by Hanson's ability to bring all the machinations of the Greeks alive in his thematic chapters.

Jared Nolen
Dec 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic work by Victor Davis Hanson. Word to the wise: read a chronological history of the Peloponnesian War before you pick this up. I made that mistake and at many times was lost as VDH jumped back and forth.

This book is an examination of how the war was fought and is divided accordingly. Each chapter examines another element of the war (Walls, Ships, etc.) and its impact.

It is also an engrossing read for any student of the classics. VDH caught me completely by surprise when his e
Apr 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I liked, its easy and accessible, in short it is not Thucydides who is hard to read. While lacking some depth and perhaps rigour it is a great introductory read for the serious student a base to build upon. Which I shall be doing.

The author also has a sub-text on how the lessons of history apply to the present especially the war on terror and how Athens/America fights war. While it is interesting it is also sad statement on ourselves and our so called leaders that in almost 2500 years of hi
Sep 27, 2007 rated it liked it
As an enthusiast of ancient history, I was excited to start this book, that being said, it wasn't in a style that I enjoyed. Hanson broke down the war, not into stages, or years, but into the different styles of warfare. A lot of back and forth through history, and at times repetitive. I found Hanson's analysis of the political situations behind the military operations to be cursory and left much to be desired.
One of the author's goals in this book was to talk about the war from a top-level perspective, skipping the chronology of the battles or events. My eyes glazed over these lists of random facts or situations. I apparently need the structure of chronology in a history book because I much preferred the parts that were explained in sequence (e.g., the siege of Syracuse or Plataea). So while the information presented was interesting, I did not enjoy the format of this book.
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Professor Hanson's grasp of the details of this particular history is amazing. This book fully elucidates this epic struggle that only rated the briefest of mentions in my college history class. One takeaway: if you are a republic with a lot of coastline, you'll always need a really good navy manned by capable and willing sailors who are strongly motivated to win.
Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen
He really didn't have what I wanted. There were parts from this book that really helped my research but overall, he went off topic way too often!
Would loved for it to be more relevant and to the point. Your fancy comparisons were boring to read. But like I said, I got some cool stuff out of this book.
E Stanton
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent history by one America's best classicists. Helps to have read Thucydides first. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys history at all, not just ancient or military history
Martin Wegner
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible war told terribly well

A very well written investigation into numerous aspects of this most terrible and importan war. It is easy to see that the politicians of our beloved republic had no knowledge of this war when they marched into Afghanistan, as foolhardy as the Athenians landing on the beaches of Sicily all those millennia ago.
Jason Gillikin
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting take on what amounted to the first major civil war of the Greek world. It's organized thematically, not chronologically. Good book if you've already got some background knowledge of the sociopolitical landscape of 5th-century Greece.
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read on the Peloponnesian War. Hanson does not try to cover the war from a linear history perspective. Instead, he covers the war from a thematic standpoint, talking about the role of sieges, cavalry, and sea power, and their impact on the ultimate outcome.
Paul Downs
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erudite, original look at the Peloponnesian War. Instead of a straightforward account of the events (Thucydides covered that), Hanson breaks down the war into strategies, technologies, and tactics. The prose could be more economical.
Gil Hahn
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good thematic history. Would have been better with less repetition.
Mark Vandenberg
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Most of us know Victor Davis Hanson from his pointed commentaries in National Review and many books on contemporary issues, but he started his impressive career as a classicist. The book presently under review, 'A War Like No Other', deals with the great civil war within ancient Greece between authoritarian Sparta and democratic Athens from 431-404 BC, made famous primarily through the contemporary account by Thucydides.

The Peloponnesian War was a decades-long conflict, both epic and gruesome in
Geoff Atwater
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is how I like to think about history. Instead of a year-by-year slog through a 27 year conflict, the author organizes the chapters to group like events. All the sieges are covered in one chapter, the hoplite battles in another, the guerrilla tactics in a third, and the naval battles in another. This organization was wonderfully helpful to developing a better understanding of the many sides to this asymmetrical conflict. Avoiding the year-by-year slog is most likely why Thucydides has s ...more
Justin Reeder
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A terrific history of the Peloponnesian War! Victor Davis Hanson gives a fair history of the Greek Civil War between Athens and Sparta. It's not a battle-by-battle history but rather focuses on certain themes which played a major role in determining the outcome of the war; as well as its impact on Western history. As one who didn't know hardly anything about the Peloponnesian War before reading this book, the narrative wasn't too clunky or too advanced for a novice to understand. Hanson includes ...more
Donald Luther
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was teaching World History, the war I least understood, either in terms of causes or the ideas and issues behind the course of the fighting was the Peloponnesian War (431-404 BCE). I daresay it is not very well understood by many who wind up teaching it, in large part because the issues seem so foreign to our sensibilities and of course the style of fighting was something we simply cannot relate to.

'A War Like No Other' goes a long way to sorting out many of these problems. First, however
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hanson does not take a strict chronological approach to the Peloponnesian War, instead dedicating each chapter to a particular topic ("Plague," "Horses," etc.). This approach provides more information about "how" the Greeks fought and enables the reader to better picture the challenges faced by each side. For example, as Hanson reminds us several times, the men fighting this war were only about 5'5. It is strange to consider that such an epic war was waged by men of such un-epic size. As Hanson ...more
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brilliantly threads the line of popular history, avoiding being either too scholarly (with name-checking of the sort, "As Heyman Roberts brilliantly explicated in his influential study of Greek horses...") or too pandering (with invented scenes like, "Brasius's eyes widened in terror as he spied the dreaded red plumes of the Spartan infantry.") Instead, it is a thoughtful, intelligent look at how "the first civil war in Western history" radically transformed Greek society and the cultu ...more
  • Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
  • The Battle of Salamis: The Naval Encounter That Saved Greece-and Western Civilization
  • Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy & the Birth of Democracy
  • The Greco-Persian Wars
  • The Peloponnesian War
  • The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-heroes of Ancient Greece
  • Thermopylae: The Battle for the West
  • In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire
  • The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal & the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic
  • The Classical World: An Epic History from Homer to Hadrian
  • Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors, and Warfare in the Ancient Civilizations of Greece and Rome
  • The Generalship Of Alexander The Great
  • Ghost on the Throne: The Death of Alexander the Great and the War for Crown and Empire
  • Fighting Techniques of the Ancient World (3000 B.C. to 500 A.D.): Equipment, Combat Skills, and Tactics
  • The Greek Achievement: The Foundation of the Western World
  • Hannibal
  • Belisarius: The Last Roman General
Hanson was educated at the University of California, Santa Cruz (BA, Classics, 1975), the American School of Classical Studies (1978-79) and received his Ph.D. in Classics from Stanford University in 1980. He lives and works with his family on their forty-acre tree and vine farm near Selma, California, where he was born in 1953.
More about Victor Davis Hanson...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Art of Communicating
    $9.49 $2.99
  • American Jezebel
    $8.24 $1.99
“But wars—or the threat of war—at least put an end to American chattel slavery, Nazism, Fascism, Japanese militarism, and Soviet Communism. It is hard to think of any democracy—Afghan, American, Athenian, contemporary German, Iraqi, Italian, Japanese, ancient Theban—that was not an outcome of armed struggle and war.” 4 likes
“Victory may now require a level of force deemed objectionable by civilized peoples, meaning that some, for justifiable reasons, may be reluctant to pursue it. But victory has not become an ossified concept altogether.” 4 likes