Start by marking “The Healer's Art: Faith and the Healing Power of Jesus Christ” as Want to Read:
The Healer's Art: Faith and the Healing Power of Jesus Christ

The Healer's Art: Faith and the Healing Power of Jesus Christ

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  113 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The beloved painting Christ Healing at the Well of Bethesda provides the inspiration for this exploration of the vital link between our faith and Christ’s healing power. The authors use various scenes from the painting to symbolize our different spiritual challenges on the path to healing. Are we like the distracted bystanders, too busy to notice the healing touch of the S ...more
Published August 15th 2006 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about The Healer's Art, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Healer's Art

Holly
Mar 20, 2017 added it
We read this and were given it as a gift when Eric had cancer. It was actually given to us by Coach Dave Rose (BYU Basketball head coach), he had read it when he was going through his pancreatic cancer.
Steph
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: lds-subjects
This was our Relief Society summer reading book for 2009.

For some reason I feel bad giving a church book anything less than 4 stars. It makes me think that I should have liked the book better because of the subject... So here is my explanation: I thought that the book was a quick, easy read, but it just didn't do anything for me. I did enjoy learning a little more about this famous painting and the authors did a good job of discussing the topic of healing through Christ, I just didn't come away
Alex
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Lord's promise is sure: 'I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee.'

His eyes reveal his heart. They are the pleading, weary eyes of a sincere believer.

The makeshift canopy seems to have been his cover for a long time. Though it provides some shelter and comfort, it also appears to be a hide-out of sorts. It shields the man from light - and perhaps from further heartache and dissapointment. Who of us hasn't hidden beneath such a cover at some point in our lives,
Becky
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Carl Bloch painting "Christ Healing at the Well of Bethesda" is the inspiration behind the beautiful truths taught in this book.
Some of my favorite quotes:
"..in time, our grief will melt away in the warmth of our faith in Him who can make sweet even the most bitter of experiences."

"The Savior will heal according to His divine mind and heart and will"

"We run so fast from task to task, from pillar to post in the barren sheep markets of the world, trying desperately to find our way, to fit in,
Mary
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
What is unique about this book is that the authors, Lloyd D. Newell ( a former professor of mine) and Don H. Staheli use the famous Carl Bloch painting Christ Healing at the Well of Bethesda as an allegory of Christ's healing power at time of his ministry and in modern times. Each chapter heading highlights a different figure or group of figures in the painting as uses it as a representation of how our faith to be healed is strengthened or challenged in today's world. I just loved the fusing of ...more
Alissa
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion
I almost stopped reading the book because the first part is a bit slow, but then it starts describing each of the different groups of people in the painting. AMAZING! I learned so much from reading this! I liked the story of how BYU acquired the painting that was in the intro, and then through reading the book I came to find for myself more of 'why' they wanted to obtain the painting. I am itching to go look at it again now!
Lisa
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction-lds
A fine reminder of the healing power and love of Jesus Christ, with relevant and interesting comparisons to aspects of Carl Bloch's beautiful and inspiring painting of Christ healing the man at the pool of Bethesda. If you have a chance, between now and May 2011, see the marvellous exhibit of this and others of Bloch's altarpieces at the BYU Museum of Art. Well worth time, study, thought, and apprecation.
Heidi
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
I battled between 2 and 3 stars. Some parts of this book were amazing and an answer to prayer. Other times, I literally rolled my eyes because I felt they were taking things way way overboard. I didn't realize when I got this book it was mostly a detailed art review of Carl Boch's painting. I don't want to call it all bad, cause there were a few good things, but yeah...
Kim
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
I loved learning about Bloch's painting and the various figures in such painting. I really didn't have a spiritual experience while reading this book, or even tear up. But I loved the scripture references, the messages behind the painting and also the love in the writing. It was an easy read, not really an in depth reading. I love the painting also.
London Litchfield
Nov 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was such an excellent book. I read it and bought several more copies to give to others. It is a message of hope through Christ and His ability to heal us in His way. The story behind this Dutch Master painting-- the Waters of Bethesda and BYU's attainment of it is also quite remarkable.
Chanell
Mar 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My aunt gave this book to my mom and dad when he was in the hospital in vegas. A couple days later the doctors told them he had cancer. My mom read this book to my dad as they were going through all of that. I really, really love this book and find myself re-reading parts of it often.
John
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nicely done discussion of the timeless classic Carl Bloch painting. A good message about applying the truths about Christ, and the parallels of his healings and particularly this story, into our lives. I will forever look at the painting differently.
Aja
Sep 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with Carl Bloch's paintings depicting the many miracles and healings of Christ's ministry on Earth. This book has been very touching in helping me see both, inside the painting and the healing process. A very peaceful read for a fall afternoon.
Rachel Boyer
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly a gem. It is short and oh so sweet. Chalk full of great one liners, amazing stories, motivating encouragement, uplifting messages- and the list goes on. A very easy read. I absolute recommend it to anybody wanting a serious pick me up.
Melynda Burt
Aug 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened to it over and over and over ... great narration and messages I couldn't get enough of. If I'd had the hardcover, I'd have highlighted the entire book!!!
Camille Robison
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Camille by: James Meyers
Deep reading.
Michelle
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
Lovely discussion of beloved Carl Bloch painting, and how it helps us to apply truths about the Master Healer in our own lives
Ginger
Oct 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written book.
Heather
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved the insight from this book. I will never view the painting or story of painting the same way again.
Leighann
Feb 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Leighann by: Jody Parker
I love this book!!!
Dina Love
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Good book, and it made me fall in love with the painting.
Alissa
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
This book had a lot of great insight into Christ as a healer. Having just seen the Carl Bloch exhibit at BYU, I really enjoyed looking at this painting a little closer.
Christie Howell
Sep 04, 2009 rated it liked it
It was a very interesting take on the picture by carl Bloch that is on the cover of the book. Some people just have a knack for interpreting art!!!
Peggy